Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 20 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#147845 Jan 10, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
No, that is not part of the theory of evolution.

Belief in the absence of evidence (or, better, when there is contrary evidence) is ignorant.
Very good. Then anyone that thinks ToE is fact is ignorant.

"Life on Earth originated and then evolved from a universal common ancestor approximately 3.8 billion years ago."

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution

There are no facts to support that claim.....

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#147846 Jan 10, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Again,*independent* verification.
Sure. "Independently" bought.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#147847 Jan 10, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure. "Independently" bought.
Most all of the scientists in all the Earth sciences in every industrialized country and every religion in the entire world for the past 150+ years. That would be one unbelievable conspiracy ... Or just your paranoia.

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

#147848 Jan 10, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Oops. I know, I typed an L instead of a N...
... and a G instead if an M... Sorry, it won't wash. You obviously had the two words confused. Why not just admit it? Folks will overlook mistakes more easily than they will dishonesty.

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

#147849 Jan 10, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I know.
But don't you suppose that sometimes the "verification" is wrong? Maybe it's bought. Maybe it's forced through intimidation.
No, independent verification means that other scientists are able to duplicate the original results each and every time that they undertake the same process. It's not just others saying, "Oh, yeah, that's right." Maybe you're thinking of peer review, where a group of scientists in the same field look over one scientist's work for errors in the process before publication or its results. Peer review is usually rigorous--scientists are notoriously competitive with others in their specialties--but not perfect.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#147850 Jan 10, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
Most all of the scientists in all the Earth sciences in every industrialized country and every religion in the entire world for the past 150+ years. That would be one unbelievable conspiracy ... Or just your paranoia.
"one unbelievable conspiracy" ?

Why is there one fact of science?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#147851 Jan 10, 2013
NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>
... and a G instead if an M... Sorry, it won't wash. You obviously had the two words confused. Why not just admit it? Folks will overlook mistakes more easily than they will dishonesty.
Hey, when I make mistakes I admit it.

I know the difference.

I misspelled.

Toguh shit.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#147852 Jan 10, 2013
NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>
No, independent verification means that other scientists are able to duplicate the original results each and every time that they undertake the same process. It's not just others saying, "Oh, yeah, that's right." Maybe you're thinking of peer review, where a group of scientists in the same field look over one scientist's work for errors in the process before publication or its results. Peer review is usually rigorous--scientists are notoriously competitive with others in their specialties--but not perfect.
I'm not suggesting it happens a lot - or even often, but I'm sure it does happen.

Think about it.

There's a book called Merchants of Doubt, which spells out ways that scientists work together to achieve a goal for their own interests and the interests of politicians. That interest is money.

"small numbers of people can have large, negative impacts, especially if they are organised, determined and have access to power".

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#147853 Jan 10, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Very good. Then anyone that thinks ToE is fact is ignorant.
"Life on Earth originated and then evolved from a universal common ancestor approximately 3.8 billion years ago."
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution
There are no facts to support that claim.....
False. There are a great many facts to support that claim, ranging from paleontology, to genetics, to comparative anatomy ,geology, and mineralogy.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#147854 Jan 10, 2013
Geology shows that fossils are of different ages. Paleontology shows a fossil sequence, the list of species representing changes through time. Taxonomy and DNA shows biological relationships among species. Evolution is the explanation that threads it all together.

Creationism is the practice of squeezing one’s eyes shut and wailing “Does not!"

“ Knight Of Hyrule”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#147855 Jan 10, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not suggesting it happens a lot - or even often, but I'm sure it does happen.
Think about it.
There's a book called Merchants of Doubt, which spells out ways that scientists work together to achieve a goal for their own interests and the interests of politicians. That interest is money.
"small numbers of people can have large, negative impacts, especially if they are organised, determined and have access to power".
And exactly what would 150 years of cover ups and hush money falsified evidence etc. to advance the ToE hope to attain from such a conspiracy??

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#147856 Jan 10, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
False. There are a great many facts to support that claim, ranging from paleontology, to genetics, to comparative anatomy ,geology, and mineralogy.
Suppositions. That's all you have.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#147857 Jan 10, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
And exactly what would 150 years of cover ups and hush money falsified evidence etc. to advance the ToE hope to attain from such a conspiracy??
Accumulation if wealth.

But it's not only limited to aspects of ToE, but all aspects of science.

Science can be perfect, it's the humans that f_ck it up.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#147858 Jan 10, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
Geology shows that fossils are of different ages. Paleontology shows a fossil sequence, the list of species representing changes through time. Taxonomy and DNA shows biological relationships among species. Evolution is the explanation that threads it all together.
Creationism is the practice of squeezing one’s eyes shut and wailing “Does not!"
"Skeptics" & "humanists" are in the practice of covering their eyes and screaming "DOES TO! I READ THAT ONE TIME, SOMEWHERE IN A SCIENCE MAGAZINE. IT HAS TO BE TRUE!!"

“ Knight Of Hyrule”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#147859 Jan 10, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Suppositions. That's all you have.
No we have a timeline from the most primitive beginnings of life till now. Showing us life started from bacteria and advanced ever since , to what you see now. This is not guess work , it is evidence
collected by studying the Earth geological history.
KJV

United States

#147860 Jan 10, 2013
Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>I don't find miscarriage funny, so why are you laughing?
You are a twisted retard with no values.
LOL
KJV

United States

#147861 Jan 10, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>Or the irony is just too great.
Well I would not call a meter that breaks every time it's used great. Maybe you're wiring it up wrong?
KJV

United States

#147862 Jan 10, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>Oh, it's an ongoing process of development. The advancements are slow and incremental. For most forums, the ones we have now do quite well, but when fundamentalist Christians are around, they tend to blow fuses because the irony level is just so high.
So the newer models have fuses to prevent breakage? One should not use a 16 penny nail as a fuse replacement!
Unless you want to see where the smoke is coming from.
KJV

United States

#147863 Jan 10, 2013
madscot wrote:
I see, well I just copied that from the urban dictionary. They will have up date there definition.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#147864 Jan 10, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
No we have a timeline from the most primitive beginnings of life till now. Showing us life started from bacteria and advanced ever since , to what you see now. This is not guess work , it is evidence
collected by studying the Earth geological history.
"Showing us life started from bacteria and advanced ever since"

As I said, suppositions.....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 2 min Tony17 99,363
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 6 min guest 586,329
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 9 min Darwins Stepchild 831,290
Which is the Oldest Indian Language? Sanskrit V... (Jul '08) 16 min mathew708 6,448
*** All Time Favorite Songs *** (Dec '10) 1 hr lightbeamrider 2,326
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 1 hr Halle Berry Sister 176,585
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 1 hr Justice-League 3,719
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 3 hr Paul Porter1 442,990
More from around the web