Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#147017 Jan 3, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Then you have no free will.
"Stupider" is not a word.
It's an adjective of stupid, stupid.

www.thefreedictionary.com/stupider

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#147018 Jan 3, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
So you're reversing your previous statements that guns don't kill people. People do?
You now recognize that guns kill people?
It's useful to know sarcasm...

dictionary.reference.com/browse/sarcasm

No, guns don't kill people. People kill people.

If guns kill people, then the pencil misspelled the word....

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#147019 Jan 3, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
I like guns.
I don't NEED guns.
And I obviously don't like them anywhere near as much as you.
If I had the money for a gun, there are countless other things I'd rather have.
I don't need guns, either.

I just like them.

Shooting targets is fun, that's all.

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

#147020 Jan 3, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you & IANS do that?
You want me to go to that page & find what you're thinking?
Do you realize there's 20 posts on every page?
It's not hard. The last number on the link is the post number, so if the link takes you to the wrong mage, it's easy to find the right one, which is usually the next one (page numbers' relationships to post numbers change when earlier posts are deleted for Terms of Service violations). But if you have the post number, finding the right page is easy.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#147021 Jan 3, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, it does. Social traits are evolved traits, and favored ones include cooperation, empathy, and caring about others of the same species. That is why several species exhibit the same level of caring for each other that we do.
Which doesn't exclude the practioners from self serving barbaric behavior.

Knoxville, TN

#147022 Jan 3, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Cars are designed to transport people not kill them. Guns are designed to kill things.
The pro-gun nutters don't have any valid arguments for their position. Its a fact.
I personally think that everyone who is pro-gun should be round up and put in prison, because they intend to carry dangerous weapons in society and cause a danger to innocent citizens that don't want killing machines in their community.
I think RR might address your real point if you say "made" instead of "designed." He loves to create red herrings by quibbling over semantics. Why play into his hand like that?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#147023 Jan 3, 2013
NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>
I think RR might address your real point if you say "made" instead of "designed." He loves to create red herrings by quibbling over semantics. Why play into his hand like that?
It wouldn't matter. Guns aren't "made to kill things"....

Guns are made to shoot bullets.

Period.

That they CAN be used to kill is irrelevant.

Guns are made to shoot bullets. Sometimes a person kills another person using a gun.

Cars are made for transportation. Sometimes a person kill another person using a car - intentionally....

Would you say that because people use knives to kill people, then knives are "made to kill people"?

Knoxville, TN

#147024 Jan 3, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Period.
Guns are made to shoot bullets. Sometimes a person kills another person using a gun.
Cars are made for transportation. Sometimes a person kill another person using a car - intentionally....
Would you say that because people use knives to kill people, then knives are "made to kill people"?
Some knives are manufactured as fighting knives and would be less useful for other purposes. Guns are manufactured as weapons, some for hunting, some for defense, some for military assault. You can quibble all you want over design specifications, but the reason guns were invented in the first place was to shoot at living things.

You remind me of a character in an episode of the TV series Firefly called Objects in Space that centered on a bounty hunter named Jubal Early. Here's an excerpt of the script:

EARLY
I think this is very pretty. I
like the weight of it.
SIMON
I thought the intention was not
to kill me.

EARLY
No. You're missing the point. The
design of the thing is functional.
The plan is not to shoot you. The
plan is to get the girl. If there's
no girl, then the plan, well, is like
the room. You are gonna help me
look for her.

Your misdirections are like Early's. The thing to remember, though, is that Early was batshit crazy. Is that how you want to present yourself as well?

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#147025 Jan 3, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, it does. Social traits are evolved traits, and favored ones include cooperation, empathy, and caring about others of the same species. That is why several species exhibit the same level of caring for each other that we do.
The same traits that got us throwing more rocks together in unison to beat the other knuckle dragging apes out of the banana bush. lol

Location hidden

#147026 Jan 3, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Period.
The military has the IMC develop weapons to kill people , tell them to bitch at them .
Those drones are made to kill people , civilian arms are made to hunt and protect yourself and sporting purposes period.
If they wish to stop killings ....stop the damn wars! And drone strikes! Bitch at north Korea Quit building weapons of mass kill yas nooooooo it's all your fault you bought a pea shooter a monkey brain used to kill a kid with.

Obama has killed more kids in drone strikes than every school shooter ever!
tip

Lancaster, OH

#147027 Jan 3, 2013
If atheists truly believe that God doesn't exist, why do they spend so much time discussing Him?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#147028 Jan 3, 2013
NightSerf wrote:
Some knives are manufactured as fighting knives and would be less useful for other purposes. Guns are manufactured as weapons, some for hunting, some for defense, some for military assault. You can quibble all you want over design specifications, but the reason guns were invented in the first place was to shoot at living things.
You remind me of a character in an episode of the TV series Firefly called Objects in Space that centered on a bounty hunter named Jubal Early. Here's an excerpt of the script:
EARLY
like the weight of it.
SIMON
to kill me.
EARLY
look for her.
Your misdirections are like Early's. The thing to remember, though, is that Early was batshit crazy. Is that how you want to present yourself as well?
Well thank you for admitting that guns aren't made to kill.

FINALLY! One honest person.......

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#147029 Jan 3, 2013
NightSerf wrote:
You can quibble all you want over design specifications, but the reason guns were invented in the first place was to shoot at living things.
If original intent is your criteria:

Dynamite is mainly used in the mining, quarrying, construction, and demolition industries, and it has had some historical usage in warfare. However the unstable nature of nitroglycerin, especially if subjected to freezing, has rendered it obsolete for military uses.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamite

Since TNT was not invented to kill people, why is it against the law for me to buy it?

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#147030 Jan 3, 2013
tip wrote:
If atheists truly believe that God doesn't exist, why do they spend so much time discussing Him?
Because idiots try to force their gods on us.

Location hidden

#147031 Jan 3, 2013
NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>
EARLY
like the weight of it.
SIMON
to kill me.
EARLY
look for her.
It's no surprise we are different. We believe in peace through superior firepower. We can test your hypothesis , when mad drug crazed lunatic lunges at you with a gun you can hold up your protest sign. I however will reserve the right to defend myself as my forefathers did. Anything less is not American and is not in our best interest.
Now I am not without sympathy for the problem we have , but your idea is historically led to nothing but a powerless and benign subculture of groupies that would instead of charging the enemy
in fact run and beg for mercy and lose all sovereignty to ruthless dictators.

Location hidden

#147032 Jan 3, 2013
tip wrote:
Even non believers wish there was something to indicate there was help to end humanities problems. Sadly we find nothing to indicate we can end human misery by divine intervention.
So don't say non believers do not share the same burdens of life.
We are just less optimistic that anyone will help us but ourselves.
tip

Lancaster, OH

#147033 Jan 3, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Because idiots try to force their gods on us.
Weak.
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#147034 Jan 3, 2013
OK... because weak idiots try to force their god on us.
tip wrote:
<quoted text>
Weak.
tip

Lancaster, OH

#147035 Jan 3, 2013
Thinking wrote:
OK... because weak idiots try to force their god on us.
<quoted text>
Weaker.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#147036 Jan 3, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> The military has the IMC develop weapons to kill people , tell them to bitch at them .
Those drones are made to kill people , civilian arms are made to hunt and protect yourself and sporting purposes period.
If they wish to stop killings ....stop the damn wars! And drone strikes! Bitch at north Korea Quit building weapons of mass kill yas nooooooo it's all your fault you bought a pea shooter a monkey brain used to kill a kid with.
Obama has killed more kids in drone strikes than every school shooter ever!
Good point!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 3 min hojo 559,337
Our God Is The Mighty Creator Of All Things! 8 min Turkey Property 2
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 15 min Bongo 774,949
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 32 min AnnieJ 604,961
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 40 min cheer the f up 119,648
Kokopelli's Place, too (Jan '08) 41 min Jolly 23,968
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 46 min Lyndi 175,605
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 51 min who 265,091
Why Iím no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 5 hr Barnsweb 441,764
More from around the web