Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#146832 Jan 2, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Anthropomorphizing. The human brain isn't much different from other animals, and it's more well understood than you seem to think. Considering you actually are getting your description about it from a religious source and not a scientific one, it's not surprising you'd find it complex.
100 billion cells, each with over 50,000 neuron connections to other brain cells is complex, no matter which way you crack it.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#146833 Jan 2, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Been there, done that ... except the salt, which makes no sense at all.
But it still proves nothing. All it does prove is that you like to wish harm onto other people. If your god was real, I'd be dead a million times over, yet here I am, showing how your god doesn't exist. Why do you try it, prove to yourself that your god is there.
You're not showing that God doesn't exist, you're showing that God gave you free will.

Good job!

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#146834 Jan 2, 2013
Thinking wrote:
NRA mentalist La Pierre (AKA freedom gun?) pulled up your media for saying 5.56mm rounds (NATO standard) were the most powerful for the reasons you explain.
It's only a technicality. They still do far more damage than knives.
<quoted text>
I agree , and they probably kill more often than not , but that's the issue with the person firing multi shots into the victim. I am against control however because , they are not effective at curtailing crime. The answer I think is security.
banning High capacity clips wont help either. They simply attach 3 of them together , slows fire a little but not enough to matter in a situation like the last one.

He could have used a single shot 12 gauge and killed as may kids .

Security will be the only answer.

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#146835 Jan 2, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I think it's a symbolic narrative.
A flood symbolizes uncontained water which has gone beyond the basic boundary between earth and water.
Floods symbolize the end of one cycle of time and the beginning of a new cycle of time. There is the dual symbolism of death and regenerative birth associated with the flood.
Well, if you aren't taking the story of the flood literally, then science disproving it could have happened would not make any difference.

As to the symbolism of the flood story, frankly, it just seemed to me like God was unhappy with what he made, did a reboot, and that didn't keep either. I never thought about it as the end of one "cycle" and the beginning of another. In your view, what cycle ended and what began afterward?

San Francisco

#146836 Jan 2, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I disagree. I don't see religion & science as conflicting.
Only if religion is reduced to philosophy.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#146837 Jan 2, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>Well there you go.

Scientists can also be religious.

Because science & religion aren't enemies, like you want.
Then why do you reject so much of it?

Location hidden

#146838 Jan 2, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah.
And its use COULD be to hammer nails.
Right?
It could be just a toy , you do not have to vilify the gun.
It is the villain you fear.
Ive shot a zillion cans and targets at the range and turkey shoots.
Hunted for deer and hogs.
Turkeys etc.

I even made a active target that spun when you hit it.

But I've never once considered shooting another person with one.
Except maybe when 9/11 came and I saw all those victims.
But no the gun is not the enemy, stupidity , mental illness , radical fundietisim and our desensitization of violence in our youth is the problem. It's not going away easy.

San Francisco

#146839 Jan 2, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Desert nomads? No, no, no...
I will not accept the unfounded claim that all life on Earth came from one single-celled organism. That's the assumptive nature of ToE that doesn't wit quit right with me and many others.
There is obvious design in all aspects of life. The human brain is an exquisite example.
The human brain is the most complicated structure in the known universe. It contains over 100 billion cells, each with over 50,000 neuron connections to other brain cells.
This structure receives over 100 million separate signals from the total human body every second. If we learned something new every second of our lives, it would take three million years to exhaust the capacity of the human brain.
In addition to conscious thought, people can actually reason, anticipate consequences, and devise plans all without knowing they are doing so.
Yeah, but you are also forgetting about the immense amount of time that these changes were supposed to occur over. Beyond that, if your argument is one of incredulity over how evolution works, then you must not believe in the existence of any matter, because how atoms work is even more far-fetched than how evolution produced sentient beings.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#146840 Jan 2, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You're not showing that God doesn't exist, you're showing that God gave you free will.
Good job!
Not according to Eagle's assertion.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#146841 Jan 2, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> ..Security will be the only answer.
Its security or guns. One or the other. The evidence is overwhelming.

Privately owned guns don't stop or reduce crime. If criminals use guns the police must use them, as they do in all developed countries. Guns don't kill people, people who won't accept tight gun control help to get people killed.

San Francisco

#146842 Jan 2, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
You have such a warm and loving personality.
And you are such a good judge of that, after all.

San Francisco

#146843 Jan 2, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Good job!
Free will can't exist if God already knows the future and fate, remember?

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#146844 Jan 2, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
100 billion cells, each with over 50,000 neuron connections to other brain cells is complex, no matter which way you crack it.
Our computers have that too. Again, "complex" is a relative term. We understand it, that was my point. We can understand a lot of complex things, it's sort of the only real difference between us and the other animals, it's our one gift to the animal kingdom, if we start to actually use it instead of just giving more animal like non-answers like "god dun it."

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#146845 Jan 2, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't know if it's a stretch, just admit that's your opinion.
Really, and what you posted wasn't? What makes your opinion on the matter more valid?

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#146846 Jan 2, 2013
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, but you are also forgetting about the immense amount of time that these changes were supposed to occur over. Beyond that, if your argument is one of incredulity over how evolution works, then you must not believe in the existence of any matter, because how atoms work is even more far-fetched than how evolution produced sentient beings.
Gah! Atomic theory is insane. I can't figure any of it out myself. lol

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#146847 Jan 2, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>I think it's a symbolic narrative.

A flood symbolizes uncontained water which has gone beyond the basic boundary between earth and water.

Floods symbolize the end of one cycle of time and the beginning of a new cycle of time. There is the dual symbolism of death and regenerative birth associated with the flood.
So every living thing that breathed and crawled upon the surface of the earth except for Noah et. al. was NOT killed in the flood?

Location hidden

#146848 Jan 2, 2013
Perhaps Adam left out the part where he was eating all those mushrooms right before the met that snake?

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#146849 Jan 2, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>I disagree. I don't see religion & science as conflicting.
There is much you don't see.
rider

Marquette, MI

#146850 Jan 2, 2013
Satan and God: who is the good guy?
http://www.youtube.com/watch ...
rider

Marquette, MI

#146851 Jan 2, 2013

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 5 min truth 559,476
Tamil vs Kannada. Which one is the oldest langu... (Oct '12) 7 min shyam 1,267
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 8 min Qu_innocence 604,999
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 9 min River Tam 775,249
Snapchat nudes. Girls add me and will send back... (May '14) 11 min Dalton 34
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 19 min SnuffAGlobalist 119,652
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 28 min Student 39,347
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 40 min Rick in Kansas 265,141
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 2 hr Lost In Transition 175,630
More from around the web