Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story
Henry

Bad Frankenhausen, Germany

#146806 Jan 2, 2013
WesTheDuck wrote:
<quoted text>
At this point, you're just picking and choosing what you like and saying the rest of it isn't meant to be taken literally.
Just like every denomination of Christianity (none of which can prove their interpretation is right, yet all of which claim theirs is right).
Very sorry, but there never was any such thing like god!
Henry

#146807 Jan 2, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
What part of evolution are you calling fact and how does it disprove the Bible?
The bible is not a scripture of history. It is not at different truths but mostly of many myths.

“I am but a humble duck.”

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#146808 Jan 2, 2013
Henry wrote:
<quoted text>
Very sorry, but there never was any such thing like god!
I know. However, many Christians consider it rude to say, "The Bible is a fairy tale." even though they do it to thousands of religions themselves.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#146809 Jan 2, 2013
WesTheDuck wrote:
<quoted text>
I've never claimed they were.
Religious beliefs, however, are not always in line with scientific truths.
True. Which is why God instructed that the Bible is open for interpretation. He knew we'd grow scientifically, that's what He designed us to do.

Being made in His image is more than just about physical appearances.

Location hidden

#146810 Jan 2, 2013
WesTheDuck wrote:
<quoted text>
They do. You didn't refute what I said, by the way.
I know. As I've said many times, evolution is a real thing. My problem with it is the assumptive & speculative nature of The Theory of Evolution. It doesn't work.

Location hidden

#146811 Jan 2, 2013
Henry wrote:
<quoted text>
The Bible is full of errors, fakes, many scriptures, which were not real and so forth!
Never such a thing as a henry!
Henry

#146812 Jan 2, 2013
WesTheDuck wrote:
<quoted text>
I spent my whole life doing that, and he didn't once offer any proof that he existed.
Very sorry, there is no god!

Location hidden

#146813 Jan 2, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Never such a thing as a henry!
This depends on your interpretation of many things.

Do you believe in miracles of any shape or form whatsoever (whether it be water to wine, virgin births, etc)? If so - we have a problem. Miracles are a direct contradiction of what is known fact. They simply cannot happen, nor do you have any grounds to say they do unless you can demonstrate them (which you can't).

If you believe the miracles in the Bible are just like all other cultural myths - people attributing known, understood things to a deity or some other supernatural phenomenon - then there is no problem. But you must accept that the Bible is not meant to be taken literally in these aspects.

Location hidden

#146814 Jan 2, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I know. As I've said many times, evolution is a real thing. My problem with it is the assumptive & speculative nature of The Theory of Evolution. It doesn't work.
And on what grounds do you say this?

Please list credible research that proves otherwise.
Henry

#146815 Jan 2, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Google will only take you so far.....
In the middle ages theologians disputed about the sex of angels. But they came to no conclusion up to the present. Unfortunatelythere was no god, no heaven, no hell and so on!
real proof

Holden, WV

#146816 Jan 2, 2013
&fe ature=player_detailpage

explain this one please..........

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#146817 Jan 2, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly. But some of your anti-theist cohorts think that a scientist MUST be an atheist.
I guess they've never heard of Isaac Newton.
Not to mention Muslim, Buddhist, and Hindu scientists, amongst others. And of course, Scientologists.

Science in one's specific line of work doesn't always translate into total rationality in one's personal perspectives of the world at large. It's called cognitive dissonance.

San Francisco

#146818 Jan 2, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
What part of evolution are you calling fact and how does it disprove the Bible?
Do you consider the story of the flood in Genesis literally accurate or a mythological parable?

San Francisco

#146819 Jan 2, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You have a problem with an established theory upheld by mountains (literally) of objective evidence across various scientific disciplines, but have no problem accepting the unfounded claims of ancient desert nomads?
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#146820 Jan 2, 2013
real proof wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =iUEDbWNTmUEXX&feature=pla yer_detailpage
explain this one please..........
Ben Goldacre's book Bad Science...
http://www.badscience.net/
won't explain all the propaganda by those who are superstitious as fast as they can produce it, but his book helps. Well, it helps if you are objectively and rationally following the evidence without a personal agenda and without an inherently supestitious way of thinking.

Dr Goldacre has now had a new book published: Bad Pharma.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bad_Pharma

(Real proof? Lol!)

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#146821 Jan 2, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
A lot in Alaska.
Or if you're around Polar bears.
Touche.

Location hidden

#146822 Jan 2, 2013
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you consider the story of the flood in Genesis literally accurate or a mythological parable?
I think it's a symbolic narrative.

A flood symbolizes uncontained water which has gone beyond the basic boundary between earth and water.

Floods symbolize the end of one cycle of time and the beginning of a new cycle of time. There is the dual symbolism of death and regenerative birth associated with the flood.

Location hidden

#146823 Jan 2, 2013
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
You have a problem with an established theory upheld by mountains (literally) of objective evidence across various scientific disciplines, but have no problem accepting the unfounded claims of ancient desert nomads?
Desert nomads? No, no, no...

I will not accept the unfounded claim that all life on Earth came from one single-celled organism. That's the assumptive nature of ToE that doesn't wit quit right with me and many others.

There is obvious design in all aspects of life. The human brain is an exquisite example.

The human brain is the most complicated structure in the known universe. It contains over 100 billion cells, each with over 50,000 neuron connections to other brain cells.

This structure receives over 100 million separate signals from the total human body every second. If we learned something new every second of our lives, it would take three million years to exhaust the capacity of the human brain.

In addition to conscious thought, people can actually reason, anticipate consequences, and devise plans all without knowing they are doing so.

Location hidden

#146824 Jan 2, 2013
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Not to mention Muslim, Buddhist, and Hindu scientists, amongst others. And of course, Scientologists.
Science in one's specific line of work doesn't always translate into total rationality in one's personal perspectives of the world at large. It's called cognitive dissonance.
I disagree. I don't see religion & science as conflicting.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#146825 Jan 2, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I think it's a symbolic narrative.
A flood symbolizes uncontained water which has gone beyond the basic boundary between earth and water.
Floods symbolize the end of one cycle of time and the beginning of a new cycle of time. There is the dual symbolism of death and regenerative birth associated with the flood.
Part of that you are really stretching. But the other part is close.

Floods represent cleansing in mythology.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 3 min dirty white boy- 739,933
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 6 min KayMarie 542,949
anyone up for a bbm swap of pics ;) (May '12) 6 min pervpaul 293
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 7 min HipGnosis 173,777
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 28 min hazem selawi 38,713
New iPhone software update sucks (Sep '12) 31 min ChristINSANITY is... 40
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 42 min Dr_Zorderz 259,636
Sims 4 Key Generator (Oct '13) 6 hr Azphene 154

Top Stories People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••