Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#144336 Dec 19, 2012
Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>Cat Stevens is a lunatic.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =mYnWtPytvhIXX
Cat Stevens is now Yusuf Mohammed, or something like that.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#144337 Dec 19, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
What is your story Hedonist?
How long have you been an Atheist?
Were your parents Atheist?
Were you raised up in a certain faith?
If so what caused you to be an Atheist?
Who if anyone influenced your decision?
Raised Southern Baptist (Dad) and Church of God (Mom). Attended Bible school every Summer and could name all the books of both Testaments in order by the time I was 9.

Majored in theology in college with the plan to become a minister.

Studied Hebrew & Greek biblical text, dissected the arguments of Aquinas, Anselm, Pascal, et.al., did a number of comparative religion courses, etc.

After a while it became very, VERY obvious that religion was a big industry with the sole purpose of placating the masses of common people. Ethically I had a problem with that, so I changed majors.

That was almost exactly 40 years ago.

Became a "rocket scientist" and worked in satellite mission control for a number of years followed by time at Cape Canaveral/KSC in IT development.

Retired now and spending my extra time volunteering in community affairs work.
moki

UK

#144338 Dec 19, 2012
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Because he said...what?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =hsaAx7YGorkXX
http://www.youtube.com/watch...

“There is no such thing”

as a reasonable person

#144339 Dec 19, 2012
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
I thought that it was Crazy McCrazy-face

Since: Sep 10

UK

#144340 Dec 19, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
My Dear Doctor of music, I worked in the Chemical Industry for 32 years. Manufacturing the most horrendous chemicals on the face of the earth.
I know that dead and lifeless pristine material such as water, soil, rocks, oxygen and minerals don’t result in a spontaneous reaction that starts a Genesis reaction. No experiment ever in the history of mankind has produced life from lifeless material. That fact in itself should tell you something
RNA and DNA have to be purposely coded with information including reproduction. It does not self create with the necessary codes to create life. The key word here is “life.”
Nonsense, as usual.

Maybe those chemicals pickled your brain.
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#144341 Dec 19, 2012
Yusuf islam... Yes, just another religious nutjob now, but his Cat Stevens songs are timeless.
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#144342 Dec 19, 2012
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
Raised Southern Baptist (Dad) and Church of God (Mom). Attended Bible school every Summer and could name all the books of both Testaments in order by the time I was 9.
Majored in theology in college with the plan to become a minister.
Studied Hebrew & Greek biblical text, dissected the arguments of Aquinas, Anselm, Pascal, et.al., did a number of comparative religion courses, etc.
After a while it became very, VERY obvious that religion was a big industry with the sole purpose of placating the masses of common people. Ethically I had a problem with that, so I changed majors.
That was almost exactly 40 years ago.
Became a "rocket scientist" and worked in satellite mission control for a number of years followed by time at Cape Canaveral/KSC in IT development.
Retired now and spending my extra time volunteering in community affairs work.
Did you ever meet Gene Krantz?
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#144343 Dec 19, 2012
As haircut models go, Kranz was an inspirational leader.
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Did you ever meet Gene Krantz?

“ecrasez l'infame”

Atlanta, Georgia

#144344 Dec 19, 2012
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Did you ever meet Gene Krantz?
No, but KSC is a huge complex and I was a contractor. My dad-in-law was a NASA simple servant at that upper level so he probably knew him.

Since: Mar 11

United States

#144345 Dec 19, 2012
So what was it then? Source will need to be cited naturally.
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
You have made erroneous comments about a talking snake in Genesis. There was no talking snake. I know you would agree with that. Scripturally the serpent was not a snake in the pre curse state. After he was cursed he never talked again and crawled on his belly.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#144346 Dec 19, 2012
Oscar Wilde Ones wrote:
<quoted text>Were you there when allegedly a species turned evolved into an ape and then a man? No.
So, you still don't understand how things evolve. You have a lot to learn.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#144347 Dec 19, 2012
Oscar Wilde Ones wrote:
<quoted text>Poof gas dunit is still not an answer. Everything that has results is based on reason and your non-answers are pure deflections. When you have an answer it will be nonsensical and without reason, but until then you have nothing.
Well no, that's not an answer. Thankfully scientists have actual answers.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#144348 Dec 19, 2012
moki wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =iUa7AEQLZjEXX
You may be the coolest person ever, Moki <3

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#144349 Dec 19, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
You have made erroneous comments about a talking snake in Genesis. There was no talking snake. I know you would agree with that. Scripturally the serpent was not a snake in the pre curse state. After he was cursed he never talked again and crawled on his belly.
AHAHAHHAHAHA.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#144350 Dec 19, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
God is tired and rests [Ex 31:17, Jer 15:6]
God is never tired and never rests [Is 40:28]
This alleged difficulty confuses the issues of being tired, on the one hand, and resting, on the other. Exodus 31:17 does say that God "rested" or "ceased" His creative work on the seventh day. It does not say that God was tired. Jeremiah 15:6 (at least the relevant portion) might be translated, "I am weary of relenting" or "I have grown tired of feeling sorry for you". The idea is not that God is "tired" in the sense of "fatigued." Rather, God is weary of holding back His righteous judgment. Note what He says right before this phrase, "So I have unleashed my power against you and have begun to destroy you" (Net Bible - netbible.bible.org ). These are not the words of a being who is tired in the sense of needing rest. These are the words of one who is tired of restraining His righteous judgment.
Thus, there is no contradiction with Isaiah 40:28, "He does not get tired or weary." For Exodus 31:17 does not say that God was tired, and Jeremiah 15:6 does not mean that God was tired in the sense of being "fatigued." The Bible does say that God rested, but it does not imply that this was due to tiredness on God's part. The Net Bible comments on Gen. 2:2 as follows: "The Hebrew term tbv (sabat) can be translated 'to rest'('and he rested') but it basically means 'to cease.' This is not a rest from exhaustion; it is the cessation of the work of creation."
http://www.probe.org/site/c.fdKEIMNsEoG/b.422...
Hahahah! Eagle stop it man.

"I wanna whoop your ass so bad it's making me tired!"

Seriously?

Since: Sep 10

UK

#144351 Dec 19, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>AHAHAHHAHAHA.
That's our Eagle.

Since: Feb 08

Tampa, FL

#144352 Dec 19, 2012
Freebird USA wrote:
Likewise "science" cannot prove the "cause" of being.
Science does not "prove" any of its facts or theories. It supports them with evidence.
Freebird USA wrote:
Many atheists place their "faith" in the unproveable "something from nothing" explanation in which "nothing" is not really "nothing".
What "something from nothing" explanation is that? Does it have a name?

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#144353 Dec 19, 2012
Drew Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
Science does not "prove" any of its facts or theories. It supports them with evidence.
<quoted text>
What "something from nothing" explanation is that? Does it have a name?
God.
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#144354 Dec 19, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Silly anti-theist....
It was Satan that spoke, in the form of a snake.
It wasn't simply a talking snake.
An imaginary being in a magical place takes the form of a snake and tells a young girl to eat a magic apple just so as to piss off another imaginary being.........And you call me SILLY??? Go figure
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#144355 Dec 19, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
What did the serpent look like before it was cursed?
Why a serpent? If Satan had the power to turn himself into a talking snake couldn't he have simple placed the thought into her head, or magically whispered in her ear? Whats the point of going through the whole transformation into a serpent? You don't recognize the absurdity of this?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 4 min Loveismygoal 970
This ~ or ~ That? (game) (Dec '12) 4 min andet1987 1,643
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 6 min Stilgar Fifrawi 810,414
When will Bill de Blasio fulfill promise for Mu... 7 min allahs bark 2
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 10 min June VanDerMark 574,359
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 11 min RADEKT 269,047
*** All Time Favorite Songs *** (Dec '10) 24 min Classic 2,012
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 3 hr truth 608,271
Dubai massage Body To Body full service 0559... (Mar '14) 3 hr perfect massage r... 206
More from around the web