Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258473 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Eagle12

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#144327 Dec 19, 2012
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>
If the Bible was divinely inspired, then why would it have so many really obvious contradictions?
Theological doctrines:
1. God is satisfied with his works
Gen 1:31
God is dissatisfied with his works.
Gen 6:6
2. God dwells in chosen temples
2 Chron 7:12,16
God dwells not in temples
Acts 7:48
3. God dwells in light
Tim 6:16
God dwells in darkness
1 Kings 8:12/ Ps 18:11/ Ps 97:2
4. God is seen and heard
Ex 33:23/ Ex 33:11/ Gen 3:9,10/ Gen 32:30/ Is 6:1/
Ex 24:9-11
God is invisible and cannot be heard
John 1:18/ John 5:37/ Ex 33:20/ 1 Tim 6:16
5. God is tired and rests
Ex 31:17
God is never tired and never rests
Is 40:28
6. God is everywhere present, sees and knows all things
Prov 15:3/ Ps 139:7-10/ Job 34:22,21
God is not everywhere present, neither sees nor knows all
things
Gen 11:5/ Gen 18:20,21/ Gen 3:8
7. God knows the hearts of men
Acts 1:24/ Ps 139:2,3
God tries men to find out what is in their heart
Deut 13:3/ Deut 8:2/ Gen 22:12
8. God is all powerful
Jer 32:27/ Matt 19:26
God is not all powerful
Judg 1:19
9. God is unchangeable
James 1:17/ Mal 3:6/ Ezek 24:14/ Num 23:19
God is changeable
Gen 6:6/ Jonah 3:10/ 1 Sam 2:30,31/ 2 Kings 20:1,4,5,6/
Ex 33:1,3,17,14
10. God is just and impartial
Ps 92:15/ Gen 18:25/ Deut 32:4/ Rom 2:11/ Ezek 18:25
God is unjust and partial
Gen 9:25/ Ex 20:5/ Rom 9:11-13/ Matt 13:12
3. God dwells in light

God dwells in darkness

What’s the controversy here with these scriptures? God operates in days and he does the same at night. When I was working I did the same thing. I worked days and worked nights. I worked both days and nights. Lame just plain lame.
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#144328 Dec 19, 2012
And Yusuf islam wonders why he keeps getting a tough time at London and US airports...
Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>Cat Stevens is a lunatic.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =mYnWtPytvhIXX
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#144329 Dec 19, 2012
If I was god I'd turn the daylight on at will, as opposed to following scientifically predictable cycles.
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
3. God dwells in light
God dwells in darkness
What’s the controversy here with these scriptures? God operates in days and he does the same at night. When I was working I did the same thing. I worked days and worked nights. I worked both days and nights. Lame just plain lame.

Eagle12

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#144330 Dec 19, 2012
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>
If the Bible was divinely inspired, then why would it have so many really obvious contradictions?
Theological doctrines:

8. God is all powerful
Jer 32:27/ Matt 19:26
God is not all powerful
Judg 1:19
Wesley's Notes

Judges 1:19 Could not drive - Because of their unbelief, whereby they distrusted God's power to destroy those who had chariots of iron, and so gave way to their own fear and sloth, whereby God was provoked to withdraw his helping hand.

Richardfs

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#144331 Dec 19, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
My Dear Doctor of music, I worked in the Chemical Industry for 32 years.....
As a "first responder" so stop pretending you actually know anything but basic chemistry. Hence anything say about abiogenesis or DNA is irrelevant.

Richardfs

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#144332 Dec 19, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
3. God dwells in light
God dwells in darkness
Dwells does not mean work.

“What?”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#144333 Dec 19, 2012
Thinking wrote:
I love Harold and Maude x
<quoted text>

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#144334 Dec 19, 2012
Laconic Assassins wrote:
<quoted text>The simplicity of your ignorance is profound.
Really, so you think that your statement holds weight, when you spill it out of nothing.

Prove that life is a complex collection of chemical reactions, and simply moving atoms around. Your inet, cleastatement says nothing to refute or address my post, because you are totally lacking in capacity to do so.

Like I say, H20 is formulated and ordered to sustain life, without the order combustion and explosion would result and life would not be as such.

It is not ironic that you think that life just appeared jumbled and confused, like your post did, but it did not. It was designed and the order and nature of our own being proves back.

Here is a test for you lying atheists: Take all the chemicals in your medicine cabinet, cleaning supply room, kitchen cabinet and throw them up in the air, with 50 buckets to catch them. Do so until you are comfortable that you have chemically randomly and without order formulated something you can drink or eat.

Basically, your confused crowd can not fiund one example anywhere that supports the bases of the theories that you base all your ignorance upon. G.o make soime swiss cheese, it has less holes than your theories
You haven't got the slightest clue of how long a billion years is, do you.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#144335 Dec 19, 2012
Laconic Assassins wrote:
<quoted text>How so? What about the gods of Rig Veda, Vishnu, Pan, Athena, etc. Exactly, which one do you claim to be ours? Why don't you try to feel a way about yours existing or not existing? When you finish with all of them and find your feelings the same about all of them, then you can awaken reason.
Here's a better list -- godchecker.com

And every one of them has exactly the same amount of evidence that they exist = none.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#144336 Dec 19, 2012
Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>Cat Stevens is a lunatic.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =mYnWtPytvhIXX
Cat Stevens is now Yusuf Mohammed, or something like that.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Atlanta, Georgia

#144337 Dec 19, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
What is your story Hedonist?
How long have you been an Atheist?
Were your parents Atheist?
Were you raised up in a certain faith?
If so what caused you to be an Atheist?
Who if anyone influenced your decision?
Raised Southern Baptist (Dad) and Church of God (Mom). Attended Bible school every Summer and could name all the books of both Testaments in order by the time I was 9.

Majored in theology in college with the plan to become a minister.

Studied Hebrew & Greek biblical text, dissected the arguments of Aquinas, Anselm, Pascal, et.al., did a number of comparative religion courses, etc.

After a while it became very, VERY obvious that religion was a big industry with the sole purpose of placating the masses of common people. Ethically I had a problem with that, so I changed majors.

That was almost exactly 40 years ago.

Became a "rocket scientist" and worked in satellite mission control for a number of years followed by time at Cape Canaveral/KSC in IT development.

Retired now and spending my extra time volunteering in community affairs work.
moki

Bristol, UK

#144338 Dec 19, 2012
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Because he said...what?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =hsaAx7YGorkXX
http://www.youtube.com/watch...

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

“There is no such thing”

as a reasonable person

#144339 Dec 19, 2012
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
I thought that it was Crazy McCrazy-face

Since: Sep 10

UK

#144340 Dec 19, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
My Dear Doctor of music, I worked in the Chemical Industry for 32 years. Manufacturing the most horrendous chemicals on the face of the earth.
I know that dead and lifeless pristine material such as water, soil, rocks, oxygen and minerals don’t result in a spontaneous reaction that starts a Genesis reaction. No experiment ever in the history of mankind has produced life from lifeless material. That fact in itself should tell you something
RNA and DNA have to be purposely coded with information including reproduction. It does not self create with the necessary codes to create life. The key word here is “life.”
Nonsense, as usual.

Maybe those chemicals pickled your brain.
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#144341 Dec 19, 2012
Yusuf islam... Yes, just another religious nutjob now, but his Cat Stevens songs are timeless.
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#144342 Dec 19, 2012
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
Raised Southern Baptist (Dad) and Church of God (Mom). Attended Bible school every Summer and could name all the books of both Testaments in order by the time I was 9.
Majored in theology in college with the plan to become a minister.
Studied Hebrew & Greek biblical text, dissected the arguments of Aquinas, Anselm, Pascal, et.al., did a number of comparative religion courses, etc.
After a while it became very, VERY obvious that religion was a big industry with the sole purpose of placating the masses of common people. Ethically I had a problem with that, so I changed majors.
That was almost exactly 40 years ago.
Became a "rocket scientist" and worked in satellite mission control for a number of years followed by time at Cape Canaveral/KSC in IT development.
Retired now and spending my extra time volunteering in community affairs work.
Did you ever meet Gene Krantz?
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#144343 Dec 19, 2012
As haircut models go, Kranz was an inspirational leader.
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Did you ever meet Gene Krantz?

“ecrasez l'infame”

Atlanta, Georgia

#144344 Dec 19, 2012
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Did you ever meet Gene Krantz?
No, but KSC is a huge complex and I was a contractor. My dad-in-law was a NASA simple servant at that upper level so he probably knew him.

Since: Mar 11

United States

#144345 Dec 19, 2012
So what was it then? Source will need to be cited naturally.
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
You have made erroneous comments about a talking snake in Genesis. There was no talking snake. I know you would agree with that. Scripturally the serpent was not a snake in the pre curse state. After he was cursed he never talked again and crawled on his belly.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#144346 Dec 19, 2012
Oscar Wilde Ones wrote:
<quoted text>Were you there when allegedly a species turned evolved into an ape and then a man? No.
So, you still don't understand how things evolve. You have a lot to learn.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 3 min Pinkwater 110,147
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 14 min Devil number 666 982,282
God is REAL - Miracles Happen! (Jun '11) 14 min Ancestry manager 6,221
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 1 hr Jolly Roger 286,304
News Hawaiians to Attorney General Sessions: We're n... 1 hr Trump s Birtherex... 10
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 2 hr Phooey 675,539
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 3 hr True Gods Child 46,191
More from around the web