Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“Don't be so dichotomous.”

Since: Jan 11

Embrace the grey.

#143189 Dec 12, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheism is more like calling bald is a hair style.
It is.....
WTF?

Care to try that one more time?

“Don't be so dichotomous.”

Since: Jan 11

Embrace the grey.

#143190 Dec 12, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Theism has belief systems but atheism doesn't?
How convenient.
Theism is the category of people who subscribe to deity based belief systems.

Atheism is the category of people who do not subscribe to deity based belief systems.

That is rather convenient, useful, and easy for some people to understand.

I worry about those that can't understand it. It's not difficult.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#143191 Dec 12, 2012
Men don't need to wear bras you reject. Well Fatasses like Buck may need to wear one but that's another story.

I wonder why so many believers on here are so ashamed of their religion? Remember Daffy he is the one claiming Catholics are not Christians are you agreeing with him now? Before you spoke against this.
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
People have the right to private personal information.
I donít recall him asking you about your bra cup size or if your nipples are small or large. Or if theyíre sagging, or perky.(Donít tell me)
Iíll answer the question for him. The answer is ďnoneya.Ē

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#143192 Dec 12, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Hughes H-4 Hercules, also known as the "Spruce Goose."
Was built out of wood, weigh 400,000 pounds, 218 feet long, wing span of 320 feet, and be five stories tall. At the time (1947) it was the largest aircraft ever built. It held that record for decades.
Critics claimed that it was not air worthy, it was too big and would not be able to fly because it was heavy. It was a ship with wings.
Wiki:
During a Senate hearing on August 6, 1947 (the first of a series of appearances), Hughes said:
{The Hercules was a monumental undertaking. It is the largest aircraft ever built. It is over five stories tall with a wingspan longer than a football field. That's more than a city block. Now, I put the sweat of my life into this thing. I have my reputation all rolled up in it and I have stated several times that if it's a failure I'll probably leave this country and never come back. And I mean it}.
If an wooden airplane as big as a ship can fly, then the Ark could be built and float.
He used a mixture of steel frames, barges and wood. Did noah have some steel? No.

Did it survive the deluge that you described? No.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#143193 Dec 12, 2012
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
WTF?
Care to try that one more time?
LLLLOL, "bald is a hair style".

Is that his way of saying that non-belief is a belief system?

lol, you guys are tooo funny!

“Don't be so dichotomous.”

Since: Jan 11

Embrace the grey.

#143194 Dec 12, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
The belief that you're right.
The belief that the bible is all lies.
The belief that religious people are stupid.
The belief that life created itself.
The belief that prayer is all in your mind.
The belief that Jesus never existed.
The belief that Moses never existed.
The belief that Paul never existed.
The belief that God isn't omnipresent.
(funny one) The belief that God causes bad things to happen or doesn't prevent them from happening.
Etc.
Etc.
Etc.
That's your belief system.
If you could prove ANY of it, it becomes fact instead of belief.
Wacky waving inflatable arm flailing strawmen!

Wacky waving inflatable arm flailing strawmen!

Wacky waving inflatable arm flailing strawmen!

We are currently overstocked on wacky waving inflatable arm flailing strawmen and accessories!

Come get your wacky waving inflatable arm flailing strawmen and accessories at Riverside wacky waving inflatable arm flailing strawmen wholesale supplier today!
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#143195 Dec 12, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure, but you don't see Dick Dawkins promoting an anti-werewolf ad, do you..........
A belief in werewolves is not dangerous, religion is. See the difference!!!!?????? People who believe in werewolves don't fly planes into buildings, blow themselves and other up, tell me I deserve to spend eternity in agony, attempt to tell my children religiously motivated lies, attempt to keep from my children scientific facts, and they don't make every effort to block medical advancements like stem cell research.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#143196 Dec 12, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
Men don't need to wear bras you reject. Well Fatasses like Buck may need to wear one but that's another story.
I wonder why so many believers on here are so ashamed of their religion? Remember Daffy he is the one claiming Catholics are not Christians are you agreeing with him now? Before you spoke against this.
<quoted text>
lol

Neither do women, but for some reason we still do.

If we can do it, so can you! hehehehe

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#143197 Dec 12, 2012
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>A belief in werewolves is not dangerous, religion is. See the difference!!!!?????? People who believe in werewolves don't fly planes into buildings, blow themselves and other up, tell me I deserve to spend eternity in agony, attempt to tell my children religiously motivated lies, attempt to keep from my children scientific facts, and they don't make every effort to block medical advancements like stem cell research.


He's not going to see it because he doesn't want to.
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#143198 Dec 12, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Dr. Robert Ballard has a distinguished career in oceanography and underwater archeology. He is a professor in Oceanography which is a science. Universities are known for doing scientific research. They get millions in grants for their work.
Dr. Ballard is not some religious nut but a serious internationally renown scientist. This is a man who knows oceans, marine life and hydrodynamics. That makes his opinion worthy of consideration.
Wiki:
Robert Duane Ballard (born June 30, 1942) is a former United States Navy officer and a professor of oceanography at the University of Rhode Island who is most noted for his work in underwater archaeology: maritime archaeology and archaeology of shipwrecks. He is most known for the discoveries of the wrecks of the RMS Titanic in 1985, the battleship Bismarck in 1989, and the aircraft carrier USS Yorktown in 1998. He discovered the wreck of John F. Kennedy's PT-109 in 2002 and visited Biuku Gasa and Eroni Kumana, who saved its crew. Ballard leads ocean exploration on E/V Nautilus.
http://www.biography.com/people/robert-ballar...
Deep-sea archaeologist and oceanographer Robert Ballard is a former commander in the United States navy and a professor of oceanography at the University of Rhode Island. He is best known for discovering the wreck of the RMS Titanic in 1985, drawing on his experience with scuba diving and using small, unmanned submersibles controlled from a surface ship to scan the ocean floor.
Wiki:
Oceanography (compound of the Greek words &#969;&#954;&#949; &#945;&#957;&#972; &#962; meaning "ocean" and &#947;&#961;&#940; &#966;&#969; meaning "to write"), also called oceanology or marine science, is the branch of Earth science that studies the ocean. It covers a wide range of topics, including marine organisms and ecosystem dynamics; ocean currents, waves, and geophysical fluid dynamics; plate tectonics and the geology of the sea floor; and fluxes of various chemical substances and physical properties within the ocean and across its boundaries. These diverse topics reflect multiple disciplines that oceanographers blend to further knowledge of the world ocean and understanding of processes within it: biology, chemistry, geology, meteorology, and physics as well as geography.
I don't care what his credentials are, arguments from authority mean nothing if the information is flawed. Any REAL scientists knows that a global flood is an impossibility, and to infer that glacial melt could possible be the cause of a global flood make his credibility highly questionable. The fact that a mere child with basic scientific information can see the insurmountable problems with this premiss, says a lot. His picture of a mile high "Ice cube" stretching from CT to the north pole, and then suddenly melting to cause this flood is laughable. Just how long do you suppose it wold take that much ice to melt? Time frame is all wrong unless you want to maintain that Noah lived 20 million years ago during the Pliocene era.

It's childish and no worthy of any consideration whatsoever. If Mr. Ballard actual supports this idea, then I don't care what his credentials are, he's an idiot of the highest order. I suspect someone got ahold of something he wrote and bent and twisted it into this absurd premiss. No scientist worth his salt thinks a global flood actually happened.

“Live Good, & Feel Good.”

Since: Aug 09

Atl.

#143199 Dec 12, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I think they're afraid of admitting they have beliefs.
Exactly.
And the reason why they are scared to death to admit they have beliefs, is that they do not want to deal with the issue that their beliefs could be wrong.

Because that would mean mentally acknowledging, that Christians could be right about their beliefs. Which means an eternal roasting hell for them as atheists.

Christians can't be scared of their beliefs. Because there is nothing to lose. Nothingness and oblivion, is nothing to fear.

The ironic thing is, we know they are scared about the Christian belief system. But they will argue all day here that its a myth. Then when they lay down at night, they can't help the screaming in the back of their mind....GOD. Because they know the absurdity of their mental position and they can't use science to back it.

I found out atheists are not that hard to figure out.
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#143200 Dec 12, 2012
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
He's not going to see it because he doesn't want to.
It's not that he doesn't "want" to, his religious brainwashing simply will not allow it.

“Don't be so dichotomous.”

Since: Jan 11

Embrace the grey.

#143201 Dec 12, 2012
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
LLLLOL, "bald is a hair style".
Is that his way of saying that non-belief is a belief system?
lol, you guys are tooo funny!
Understanding categorical hierarchies is very basic.

Right now, I'm more interested in exposing why some believers demonstrate an inability to understand categorical hierarchies, than explaining the structure of specific hierarchies.

It has a lot to do with cognitive dissonance. Many believers realize that they are gambling a lot on a faith based position, and would like for all people to gamble with them, to make themselves feel better about their gamble. Seeing atheists, a lot of whom are not gambling on faith, disturbs them, I suspect. They'd rather see us as gamblers too, to make themselves feel better, or to quiet the cognitive dissonance within themselves. They see us not needing faith, and perhaps only subconsciously realize that they could also do without faith. In order to justify their gamble, they need to paint us as gamblers, as religious, as faith based thinkers, even though most of us probably are not. This is a delusion of thought.
Thinking

Andover, UK

#143202 Dec 12, 2012
Oi, dodgy looking tranny, they're axioms.
Laconic Assassins wrote:
<quoted text>You're lying. Prove that you love your mother.
Prove that 1 +1 = 2; 1X1=1; 1-1=0; 1/1=1. Give us the proof of why. Do not use a book, no internet, no mathematicians and humans, just simply prove it yourself.
Now, atheists will simply believe does math equations true, just like you all believed that the world was flat and now you believe that there are "black holes" when you have no proof that there are.
Prove that there universe is more than 10,000 years old and that your time continum of 14.5 billion years is not just a false measurement of time due to time, space and laws of physics not being relative.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#143203 Dec 12, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
Men don't need to wear bras you reject. Well Fatasses like Buck may need to wear one but that's another story.
I wonder why so many believers on here are so ashamed of their religion? Remember Daffy he is the one claiming Catholics are not Christians are you agreeing with him now? Before you spoke against this.
<quoted text>
I guess it would be better in your opinion that all Christians wear their faith on their sleeves for all to see?

Not a bad idea according to the Nazis. They required all Jews wear the Star of David on the outside of their sleeves.

You want to know his particular faith so you can harass, demean, humiliate, and spew your hate. Just like the Naziís did, right?

HeĎs a person of faith, thatís all your dumb ass needs to know stink bait.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#143204 Dec 12, 2012
bossdrop wrote:
<quoted text>Exactly.
And the reason why they are scared to death to admit they have beliefs, is that they do not want to deal with the issue that their beliefs could be wrong.
Because that would mean mentally acknowledging, that Christians could be right about their beliefs. Which means an eternal roasting hell for them as atheists.
Christians can't be scared of their beliefs. Because there is nothing to lose. Nothingness and oblivion, is nothing to fear.
The ironic thing is, we know they are scared about the Christian belief system. But they will argue all day here that its a myth. Then when they lay down at night, they can't help the screaming in the back of their mind....GOD. Because they know the absurdity of their mental position and they can't use science to back it.
I found out atheists are not that hard to figure out.
You sound like a very mean person.

“Live Good, & Feel Good.”

Since: Aug 09

Atl.

#143205 Dec 12, 2012
Laconic Assassins wrote:
<quoted text>Oh, they know that they have a religion, they just don't want us to know. It is like gays who claim that they do not have an agenda. Yet, they make claims about gay rights and alleged same sex marriage rights. They calim that homosexuality is not a disorder but yet without any evidence or science this is nothing more that part of their agenda to make homosexuality equal to necrophilia.
Thing is, its obvious to everyone, that they have a religion. They just feel secure deluding themselves that can prove they don't have a religion :)

With the gays, it does not matter how much they throw up gay rights and gay marriage..their lifestyle is still a sin. Sodomy is a sin.

And they may get the victory of gay marriage. But let me see them try and convince people that its not a sin.

Gays must face God. And it does not matter if they don't believe God exist. What they believe has no relevance on the existence of God. And they will have to give an account for their lifetime of practicing Sodomy.

Let God deal with them. That's why they will fight to the death mentally to make themselves believe "No God". Because if mentally they can delude themselves into thinking "No God", then they can satisfy their conscience that there will no consequence for their Sodomy.

Any Christian worth that title...knows exactly what is going on.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#143206 Dec 12, 2012
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>I don't care what his credentials are, arguments from authority mean nothing if the information is flawed. Any REAL scientists knows that a global flood is an impossibility, and to infer that glacial melt could possible be the cause of a global flood make his credibility highly questionable. The fact that a mere child with basic scientific information can see the insurmountable problems with this premiss, says a lot. His picture of a mile high "Ice cube" stretching from CT to the north pole, and then suddenly melting to cause this flood is laughable. Just how long do you suppose it wold take that much ice to melt? Time frame is all wrong unless you want to maintain that Noah lived 20 million years ago during the Pliocene era.
It's childish and no worthy of any consideration whatsoever. If Mr. Ballard actual supports this idea, then I don't care what his credentials are, he's an idiot of the highest order. I suspect someone got ahold of something he wrote and bent and twisted it into this absurd premiss. No scientist worth his salt thinks a global flood actually happened.
You are entitled to you opinion Doctor. Iím not trying to take that away. But we in the topix community need to understand youíre not a scientist nor have a degree in science. Your degree is in the arts.

His degree is in the sciences so his opinion is worthy of consideration when it comes to science. Your profession is in the arts so if you make a statement about music composition or musicality that needs to be seriously considered because of your experience and education, right? Well the same goes for him.

You donít see him on TBN or in religious circles. He is a internationally respected scientist. You are not that far from him Doctor. Go take a short ride and have coffee with him and talk about it. You know Doctors talking to Doctors, man to man.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#143207 Dec 12, 2012
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Understanding categorical hierarchies is very basic.
Right now, I'm more interested in exposing why some believers demonstrate an inability to understand categorical hierarchies, than explaining the structure of specific hierarchies.
It has a lot to do with cognitive dissonance. Many believers realize that they are gambling a lot on a faith based position, and would like for all people to gamble with them, to make themselves feel better about their gamble. Seeing atheists, a lot of whom are not gambling on faith, disturbs them, I suspect. They'd rather see us as gamblers too, to make themselves feel better, or to quiet the cognitive dissonance within themselves. They see us not needing faith, and perhaps only subconsciously realize that they could also do without faith. In order to justify their gamble, they need to paint us as gamblers, as religious, as faith based thinkers, even though most of us probably are not. This is a delusion of thought.
I wish you best of luck!

Well, that just shows how insecure they are about their belief. it's like they feel challenged or threatened by different beliefs or non-beliefs.

What good is their faith doing? They are telling their fellow human-beings that they are going to roast in hell for not believing in their daddy, who's also meant to be your and my daddy. What's the bloody point of such a belief? There can't be one!!

The world has been like this and I think it's going to stay like this, all we can do is save ourselves from them!

Gambling is a sin, lol.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#143208 Dec 12, 2012
bossdrop wrote:
<quoted text>Thing is, its obvious to everyone, that they have a religion. They just feel secure deluding themselves that can prove they don't have a religion :)

With the gays, it does not matter how much they throw up gay rights and gay marriage..their lifestyle is still a sin. Sodomy is a sin.

And they may get the victory of gay marriage. But let me see them try and convince people that its not a sin.

Gays must face God. And it does not matter if they don't believe God exist. What they believe has no relevance on the existence of God. And they will have to give an account for their lifetime of practicing Sodomy.

Let God deal with them. That's why they will fight to the death mentally to make themselves believe "No God". Because if mentally they can delude themselves into thinking "No God", then they can satisfy their conscience that there will no consequence for their Sodomy.

Any Christian worth that title...knows exactly what is going on.
Bossdrip!

How the hell are ya?!

Still stupid, I see.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 9 min Dally Mama 774,944
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 11 min hojo 559,330
The Global Elites Are Moving Things Underground 13 min Watcher 6
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 13 min who 265,091
Tamil vs Kannada. Which one is the oldest langu... (Oct '12) 15 min PROUD MALAYALI 1,258
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 22 min Lyndi 175,604
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 24 min AN NFL FAN 119,647
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 24 min lil whispers 604,958
Why Iím no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 4 hr Barnsweb 441,764
More from around the web