Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
137,421 - 137,440 of 226,389 Comments Last updated 2 hrs ago

“Don't be so dichotomous.”

Since: Jan 11

Embrace the grey.

#143010 Dec 11, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Do you do this on purpose?
I've told him, others have told him, I'm going to start viciously insulting him from now on.

The dude is so brainwashed that he can appear to have learned something one day, and have forgotten it by the next day.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#143011 Dec 11, 2012
Sambrotherofnephi wrote:
<quoted text>
Not at the moment...just a question. Why do atheists advertise or promote their belief system?
So that they can make the world a better place!

Embrace the grey.

#143012 Dec 11, 2012
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
The belief system of not believing in a belief system, maybe?
If standing still is dancing, if baldness is a hair color, if not collecting stamps is a hobby...

Location hidden

#143013 Dec 11, 2012
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Can you produce anything from this "belief system"?
If it's only one belief, it's not a system.
So, what else is part of the system?
Did you just make it up?
What is that belief system called, and do you know of anyone that follows it?
Besides that, we've told you before, again and again, basic atheism is the lack of belief in gods.
No valid definition of atheism invokes the name of any specific deity.
But I thought atheists have a belief but just not a religious or supernatural one?

Isn't a belief something that you think is true? You think that religion is wrong, so you think your opinion is true, so is that not a belief?

Location hidden

#143014 Dec 11, 2012
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
If standing still is dancing, if baldness is a hair color, if not collecting stamps is a hobby...
Everyone has their own understanding! hehehehehe

Sikhism denied religion, but it too is called a religion now, that's how things are in this world, people assume and put name tags on you.

Embrace the grey.

#143015 Dec 11, 2012
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>"Minority Report" came close.
I could write a better story than that. I almost did in this post but decided to just keep that to myself.
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#143016 Dec 11, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Silly troll, elegance, sophistication & social graces are open for interpretation. YOU don't get to define them based on your little world.
Understanding, empathy & social interaction is lost on you.
There is NO interpretation of your classless comments on post #142946. Under any decent social environment they would be considered rude, classless, and grotesque. Although it's probably acceptable amongst your hillbilly friends, here in the civilized part of the country you would be looked on with revulsion and pity.
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#143017 Dec 11, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I got a good laugh at the atheist ad: "There's probably no God"
HA HA HA HA!!!!
What an argument, huh?
And Dick Dawkins is standing there admiring the ad........
He's thinking " Yup, this'll work!"
There is NO argument to be had, there probably is no God. And thats the polite rendition, I like this one better. Due to the complete and utter lack of evidence there simply is no God. Or.........The evidence for God is the same as there is for werewolves.

Location hidden

#143018 Dec 11, 2012
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
I could write a better story than that. I almost did in this post but decided to just keep that to myself.
You concentrate on my poem, sweetie. Tick tock goes the clock!!

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#143019 Dec 11, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
bollock?
A term of opprobrium.

In context, "eff-up".

Although the term actually refers to the male reproductive coupling gear.

The Borderland of Sol

#143020 Dec 11, 2012
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
According to duckie12, Noah's didn't launch either! The flood was only 20 feet high! LOL! Kill every living thing, but only 20 ft high!
Can you say "Noah's Pier"?

Laffin.

Embrace the grey.

#143021 Dec 11, 2012
Clementia wrote:
But I thought atheists have a belief but just not a religious or supernatural one?
They wouldn't be a part of atheism, so theists could have them as well. Atheism is simply the category of people who do not have religious beliefs. Whatever else defines those people is separate from atheism.

Theism is a category, not a belief system. A theist has a belief in at least one god. An atheist has no beliefs in any gods. Theism and atheism cannot be belief systems. They lack the necessary definition to be called a system, and atheism lacks the belief part also.
Clementia wrote:
Isn't a belief something that you think is true? You think that religion is wrong, so you think your opinion is true, so is that not a belief?
Rejecting a belief is not in itself a belief. I don't need to posit an alternative to religious claims. Atheism is the state of not adopting religious beliefs.

I think religion is harmful. That means I'm anti-theistic. I'm more free to be anti-theistic than theists are, but theists can also be anti-theistic. If you agree that religion is often harmful, you are also, to some degree, anti-theistic. These motivations or opinions do not come from having religious beliefs or not having them. They come from observation, reasoning, and empathy.

We can differentiate beliefs into categories. I haven't got any faith based beliefs at all. Faith based beliefs are very different from beliefs/opinions/conclusions derived in other manners. In a discussion about belief, where the religious and non religious are both involved, the difference must be constantly pointed out. It's really a failing in language that the word "belief" can be used to describe very different ideas.

The Borderland of Sol

#143022 Dec 11, 2012
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
My cockatiel coulda written a better one.

Just let the dratted thing decompose.

Since: Oct 11

Location hidden

#143023 Dec 11, 2012
Sambrotherofnephi wrote:
<quoted text>
Not at the moment...just a question. Why do atheists advertise or promote their belief system?
Not really certain other than possibly as an active means of reinforcing their absolute LACK of belief in anything by physically embodying their blanket disbelief in the passive form of a roadside sign...?

Since: Oct 11

Location hidden

#143024 Dec 11, 2012
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>A term of opprobrium.
In context, "eff-up".
Although the term actually refers to the male reproductive coupling gear.
FYI, "bollocks" means 'balls'.

Embrace the grey.

#143025 Dec 11, 2012
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
Everyone has their own understanding! hehehehehe
Sikhism denied religion, but it too is called a religion now, that's how things are in this world, people assume and put name tags on you.
Some people are simply wrong, too.

Labels should be used. We should either agree with the definitions, or pretend to in order to facilitate conversation. Labels don't change what things are, they allow us to talk about them without describing them in full detail when we want to invoke them in conversation.

What Christians like to do, is say that atheism is a religion, because they subconsciously realize that it is an insult. They are saying, "Atheism is every bit as irrational as religion." We are saying, "Show us a religious atheist." "Show us the belief system." "Describe this mythical belief system you allude to daily without any supporting evidence." If atheism was a belief system or a religion, they would be able to produce some support for the claim that it is. I have not seen it. I would ask, "Define religion, then show me where atheism fits."

It's frustrating and ironic at the same time. I don't have a belief system. I have a world view created by the methodology of rational skepticism. It hasn't got a name. It's just my world view. They'd probably rather it had a name so they could attack it. It's hard to effectively assault not believing in something.

Location hidden

#143026 Dec 11, 2012
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
They wouldn't be a part of atheism, so theists could have them as well. Atheism is simply the category of people who do not have religious beliefs. Whatever else defines those people is separate from atheism.
Theism is a category, not a belief system. A theist has a belief in at least one god. An atheist has no beliefs in any gods. Theism and atheism cannot be belief systems. They lack the necessary definition to be called a system, and atheism lacks the belief part also.
<quoted text>
Rejecting a belief is not in itself a belief. I don't need to posit an alternative to religious claims. Atheism is the state of not adopting religious beliefs.
I think religion is harmful. That means I'm anti-theistic. I'm more free to be anti-theistic than theists are, but theists can also be anti-theistic. If you agree that religion is often harmful, you are also, to some degree, anti-theistic. These motivations or opinions do not come from having religious beliefs or not having them. They come from observation, reasoning, and empathy.
We can differentiate beliefs into categories. I haven't got any faith based beliefs at all. Faith based beliefs are very different from beliefs/opinions/conclusions derived in other manners. In a discussion about belief, where the religious and non religious are both involved, the difference must be constantly pointed out. It's really a failing in language that the word "belief" can be used to describe very different ideas.
ok, that'll take time to sink in.

I think you're right english language is very confusing.

If i say that my religion and my belief say the koran or bible is wrong, doesn't that mean i'm an atheist to their belief, as I don't believe that thier belief is true, But my faith and I believe in one God so i'm an theist to atheists but not christians or muslims? Or am i just an infidel to them? I'm just an infidel aren't I? or am I anti-their religion?

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#143027 Dec 11, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I got a good laugh at the atheist ad: "There's probably no God"
HA HA HA HA!!!!
What an argument, huh?
And Dick Dawkins is standing there admiring the ad........
He's thinking " Yup, this'll work!"
Actually everything you say is an argument to become atheist.

Location hidden

#143028 Dec 11, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
The belief system that's based on the belief that there is no God.
That one.
Well you just blew up the belief you had a brain system.

Location hidden

#143029 Dec 11, 2012
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Can you produce anything from this "belief system"?
If it's only one belief, it's not a system.
So, what else is part of the system?
Did you just make it up?
What is that belief system called, and do you know of anyone that follows it?
Besides that, we've told you before, again and again, basic atheism is the lack of belief in gods.
No valid definition of atheism invokes the name of any specific deity.
It's his belief system.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Wake up, Black America!! (Sep '13) 4 min DeAngelo of Memphis 2,456
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 15 min Catcher1 733,219
Good bye Michael Sam 15 min WasteWater 9
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 16 min Serah 600,014
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 18 min June VanDerMark 539,185
Play "end of the word" (Jan '11) 31 min WasteWater 4,343
someone is so happy Michael Sams is released 33 min andet1987 2
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 33 min WasteWater 258,078
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 3 hr JUDEletePete 118,007
•••
Enter and win $5000

Top Stories People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••