Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 239099 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#141040 Nov 26, 2012
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>Why not?
He'll go on and on about clergy in your government and mandatory prayer in your schools.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#141041 Nov 26, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>Eagle is missing much more than punctuation.
I was being kind.

I don't know why.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#141042 Nov 26, 2012
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
But they're legal.
And pot is not.
Makes sense to you, I'll bet.
Cigarettes don't impair ones ability to drive...
special atheist gibbs

Mount Prospect, IL

#141043 Nov 26, 2012
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL!!!
I live in England! It's REALLY not like that here. There are more atheists here than believers!
UUMMM Clemm,If you look up sumerian alien connection you will discover that 99% of the old testiment is rehashed stories from the sumerian writings.The jesus syory is coppied from them.the talking snake in eden is coppied from them.I deal in facts mam.Bible thumpers deal in fairytales and an unauthored bible.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#141044 Nov 26, 2012
special atheist gibbs wrote:
<quoted text> UUMMM Clemm,If you look up sumerian alien connection you will discover that 99% of the old testiment is rehashed stories from the sumerian writings.The jesus syory is coppied from them.the talking snake in eden is coppied from them.I deal in facts mam.Bible thumpers deal in fairytales and an unauthored bible.
You apparently don't deal in proper English.....

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#141045 Nov 26, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
So are Big Macs.
This is true.
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#141046 Nov 26, 2012
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
You were meant to say no, because you would still love them!
And God doesn't love his children? Yet he still throws them onto a bed of hot coals, forever!!! Why, because they don't love him. Is this how you garner love, throughout the threat of eternal roasting? Imagine your lover telling you that you HAD to love him or he would pour gasoline on you and light you on fire. Isn't love earned? Ca you legislate love like God does? Is that real love?

Southern Illinois

#141047 Nov 26, 2012
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
But they're legal.
And pot is not.
Makes sense to you, I'll bet.
Cigs bring in lots of taxes.

Southern Illinois

#141048 Nov 26, 2012
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>You are serious right? Your not just being a poe. Is it your contention than EVERYONE on the face of the planet was an "unbeliever?" Everyone, millions of unbelievers? First of all does that non seem plausible, and second how exactly do you know this? What evidence do you have that the entire population of the earth, with the excepting of Noah and his family, were "unbelievers?"
And how much notice was given before this mythical flood happened? What if I was a true believer but lived in Australia, how would I have gotten to the Ark? Would I have had enough time?
Of course we all realize that science has completely disproved any such nonsensical event. Without invoking Godmagic it could have never happened!!
If you don't mind Doctor. Please supply the census data for that year.
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#141049 Nov 26, 2012
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes there is!
No it's not!
I'm doing fine with my studies, thanks! I've been studying science for 5 years now and I've met alot of professionals in this field that believe in God. I'm not the only one who's irrational.
When you say "Yes there is a God" you then have made a positive claim and it MUST be supported with demonstrable evidence,,,,,,,,so go ahead and show me your evince.

If you can't prove God exists but just believe it, then that is an irrational, illogical belief. Something is either real or it isn't. "Real" does not mean its just something you believe in and think is real. "Real" is something that can be observed and examined, otherwise its just an unsupported belief.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#141050 Nov 26, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Cigs bring in lots of taxes.
So do Big Macs.

:)

“What's left to defend?”

Freedom

#141051 Nov 26, 2012
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
awwww thanks! but you're just saying that coz u probably never met indian religious people who follow the scriptures but don't keep their stereotypical religious identities. You've met too many nasty religious people who tell u, u r goin to hell, so u think we all hate u, but not all of us r nuts! some defo r tho!:-)
I'm sorry about my writing guys, i feel drunk today, i'm not drunk tho, maybe too much red bull or maybe i'm high on God's love? heheheheheee
I think religious beliefs are kind of quaint when they aren't being pushed on people. It's blended in history and culture. It's when religious beliefs get in the way of progress or ethical behavior that bothers me.

You don't push your beliefs like they are the only truths in the universe, so I appreciate that.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#141052 Nov 26, 2012
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>And God doesn't love his children? Yet he still throws them onto a bed of hot coals, forever!!! Why, because they don't love him. Is this how you garner love, throughout the threat of eternal roasting? Imagine your lover telling you that you HAD to love him or he would pour gasoline on you and light you on fire. Isn't love earned? Ca you legislate love like God does? Is that real love?
Why are you so filled with hatred?

“What's left to defend?”

Freedom

#141053 Nov 26, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I had no rebuttal to that long ass post, TwB.
It seems that you're set in your ways.
I'm very flexible in my ways. Some would say I'm a little too flexible.

I change my mind more often than my underwear.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#141054 Nov 26, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Cigarettes don't impair ones ability to drive...
Of course they do. You ever see somebody drop one on their lap?

“What's left to defend?”

Freedom

#141055 Nov 26, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Either we fight drugs or we now down to them. Which would you prefer?
I would prefer a better articulated response.

I'm not going to answer based on what I assume you are trying to say. And I'm not talking about the typo. That I can look past.

Southern Illinois

#141056 Nov 26, 2012
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>BTW, the story about the people in the hurricane has absolutely NOTHING to do with your impossible Ark.
Trust me I do know a thing or two about sailing and sailboats. I do believe the Ark was supposed to have been 400 feet long or more. Boats made of wood are not at all seaworthy if over 300 feet in length. They flex to much in the waves, it opens seems in the hull, and thats in moderate seas. As they tried to make the schooners and square riggers larger to be more profitable, they found that even with steel rods and brackets to reduce the flexing, they still took on so much water that the pumps could scarcely keep up. A 310 footer went down of the coast of Maine in moderate seas, all hands were killed. She literally came apart at the seams. So now imagine an Ark 400 feet long, loaded with animals a mountains of food, with NO bilge pumps and no means of locomotion. No sails, no oars, nothing, it was at the mercy of the sea. Unless you can keep her nose into heavy seas, the boat is doomed. Now tell me they never encountered a storm after spending a year at sea. Sorry, from a seaman's point of view.......IT NEVER HAPPENED!!!!!
Wiki:

Wyoming was a wooden six-masted schooner, the largest wooden schooner ever built. She was built and completed in 1909 by the firm of Percy & Small in Bath, Maine.[1] Wyoming was also one of the largest wooden ships ever built, 450 ft (140 m) from jib-boom tip to spanker boom tip, and the last six-masted schooner built on the east coast of the US.

This ship lasted for 13years.
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#141057 Nov 26, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
The problem moderns have with this type of text usually involve an ethical outrage.
It is just not fair to apply modern notions of ethics and warfare to ancient military practices.
Dumb shit, because it happened and is recorded in the Bible does not automatically mean it is God's will for every age and every culture. Neither is food laws, holy wars, polygamy, slavery, subjection of women, etc.
Get a grip, would ya?
Don't cha just love it..The dodging and weaving, the twisting and turning, the foolish dance of the Christians.......The dance of shame, the expenditure of so much energy to try and rationalize their evil God thing!!! Very comical, and enjoyable to witness.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#141058 Nov 26, 2012
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>When you say "Yes there is a God" you then have made a positive claim and it MUST be supported with demonstrable evidence,,,,,,,,so go ahead and show me your evince.
If you can't prove God exists but just believe it, then that is an irrational, illogical belief. Something is either real or it isn't. "Real" does not mean its just something you believe in and think is real. "Real" is something that can be observed and examined, otherwise its just an unsupported belief.
Yes, Clementia... Show him your evince!

(flash 'em!)

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#141059 Nov 26, 2012
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm very flexible in my ways. Some would say I'm a little too flexible.
I change my mind more often than my underwear.
Why wear underwear?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 7 min janeebee 4,248
Rajkot gay Topix 7 min Raju 85
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 12 min USA Born 589,965
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 21 min lightbeamrider 838,085
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 26 min Jac 99,835
i am board dose anyone want to talk? 27 min toxicbutterfly 24
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 31 min Freebird USA 176,902
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 1 hr MUQ2 271,321
More from around the web