Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258515 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#141068 Nov 26, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Twas to be "bow down"...
What I mean is either we continue to fight the war on drugs, win here lose there or we just lose.
People can't handle drugs, especially if they became legal. People get all crazy when they are let loose.
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it." -Agent K
It's my contention that we've been losing all this time. The war on drugs hasn't decreased drug use at all. It has created a huge criminal enterprise, sucked up tax payer money, and cost lives, all for a war that we've been losing.

You have a simplistic view of this problem. It's not an either/or scenario. Just legalizing all drugs would solve several problems, but wouldn't create that many new ones. The legality of drugs isn't a big factor in deciding whether or not to use them. If it was, we would expect drug use to remain the same or decrease because people don't want to go to jail. The deterrent doesn't work. We know that it doesn't work. I'm not suggesting we just legalize all drugs. I'm saying that alone would be preferable to this ineffectual war we've been losing for decades.

The real solutions are waiting to be found.
Thinking

Cirencester, UK

#141069 Nov 26, 2012
Eagle's English is so poor that I thought he was trying to say his mother's mother was uncouth.
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Eagle, I don't think you realize how hilarious it is for you to criticize other people's grammar. No one here uses perfect grammar every time, but you consistently butcher the language. I don't even think you know what a complete sentence is.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#141070 Nov 26, 2012
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>No, God is YOUR delusion, not mine. God may be your inner strength, but for those of us who know that no such being exists, we derive our inner strength through facing adversity alone, and learning how to deal with it, no magical being needed.
I say developing inner strength on your own is a feeling no Theists can have. It's a feeling of comfort that is unrivaled since it is your accomplishment alone.
The words "sheep" and "flock" are all one needs to know about Christianity.
sheep: A domesticated ruminant of the cattle family with a thick woolly coat and curving horns.

flock: A number of birds feeding, resting, or traveling together.

That's Christianity to you? No wonder why you're so damn clueless.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#141071 Nov 26, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
That's be as accidental as a pot smoker doing the same. Or a Big Mac eater dropping the pickle.
That's irrelevant.
Pot impairs the smokers motor functions & reaction times more than alcohol does. Tobacco doesn't impair you at all.
Woah, there maybe you should have checked that statement before you made it.

http://norml.org/library/item/marijuana-and-d...

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#141072 Nov 26, 2012
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>They are one of the same, thought you knew!!!!!
Only in your mind, blacky. Only in your mind.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#141073 Nov 26, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
If you don't mind Doctor. Please supply the census data for that year.
It varies depending on who you want to believe. Most Christians site put the world population at the time of Noah's flood between 170-235 million.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#141074 Nov 26, 2012
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
It's my contention that we've been losing all this time. The war on drugs hasn't decreased drug use at all. It has created a huge criminal enterprise, sucked up tax payer money, and cost lives, all for a war that we've been losing.
You have a simplistic view of this problem. It's not an either/or scenario. Just legalizing all drugs would solve several problems, but wouldn't create that many new ones. The legality of drugs isn't a big factor in deciding whether or not to use them. If it was, we would expect drug use to remain the same or decrease because people don't want to go to jail. The deterrent doesn't work. We know that it doesn't work. I'm not suggesting we just legalize all drugs. I'm saying that alone would be preferable to this ineffectual war we've been losing for decades.
The real solutions are waiting to be found.
I understand what you're saying, I do.

My only problem with legal drugs is the ease of getting them. By keeping them illegal it makes it hard to get your hands on - and you risk jail or prison time for it. It deters some users to quit & it deters some from ever starting.

I'm fine with people using drugs casually. But that's the problem with a lot of folks, they can't use drugs in moderation, they allow it to control their lives. Excessive drug use leads todo many problems, I think if they were to become legal, there'd be a lot more addicts out there.

I'd kinda rather have drug lords in charge of their addicts than the federal government. That's a disaster of biblical proportions waiting to happen.

In my opinion, of course.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#141075 Nov 26, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Woah, there maybe you should have checked that statement before you made it.
http://norml.org/library/item/marijuana-and-d...
Don't believe everything you read online, especially a site that has an agenda for defending pot......

"Canadian researchers have concluded that people who smoke marijuana within three hours of driving are nearly twice as likely to get in a serious car crash.
The research included nine observational studies, with a sample size of nearly 50,000 accident victims."
www.insideline.com
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#141076 Nov 26, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Why are you so filled with hatred?
You couldn't be more wrong. I am the happiest person on the face of the planet. Great family, wonderful kids, great job, love what I do, well respected by my peers, I don't have a mean bone in my body. Why do you perceive hatred from someone who disagree's with you. Do you think everyone who disagree's with you is filled with hatred?

I use LOGIC, REASON, and CRITICAL THINKING, to determine what is real or not. I think people who believe things just because they feel good, and for no GOOD reason, are a danger to society. People who believe without evidence are NOT critical thinkers. They are most likely unreasonable and illogical when it comes to real world issues. Just look at how many disbelieve the FACTS of evolution. Mountains of evidence staring them in the face and they simply ignore it. Thats is NOT critical thinking, nor is it i any way rational. These people are dangerous, religion is dangerous. Just because I think your God is a murdering psychopath, based on what your holy book contains, doesn't mean I'm "Filled" with hatred. I'd sit down and have a beer with you any day. I'd tell you that you were f--king crazy, but I don't hate you.

Catcher1

Since: Sep 10

Hermosa Beach, CA

#141077 Nov 26, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Cigs bring in lots of taxes.
One more reason to decriminalize, regulate and tax marijuana sales.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#141078 Nov 26, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Wiki:
Wyoming was a wooden six-masted schooner, the largest wooden schooner ever built. She was built and completed in 1909 by the firm of Percy & Small in Bath, Maine.[1] Wyoming was also one of the largest wooden ships ever built, 450 ft (140 m) from jib-boom tip to spanker boom tip, and the last six-masted schooner built on the east coast of the US.
This ship lasted for 13years.
Wyoming's designers had likewise stiffened her with internal steel bracing, but she was too big. She still bent and twisted at sea. Gaps opened in her planking and let water in. Normally her pumps could handle the leakage, but the Pollock Rip storm was too much. She sank, taking thirteen sailors down with her.

She was actually only 329 feet from stem to stern. Jib-boom to spinnaker boom tip is not the way they measure length.

As you can see she need internal steel bracing and huge bilge pumps to keep her afloat. How many steel braces did you say the Ark had? And what type of bilge pumps? Just wondering!!!!

“going back”

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#141079 Nov 26, 2012
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>No, God is YOUR delusion, not mine. God may be your inner strength, but for those of us who know that no such being exists, we derive our inner strength through facing adversity alone, and learning how to deal with it, no magical being needed.
I say developing inner strength on your own is a feeling no Theists can have. It's a feeling of comfort that is unrivaled since it is your accomplishment alone.
The words "sheep" and "flock" are all one needs to know about Christianity.
Delusion you call my faith, thank you i don`t rivale no man good or bad, I don`t fear man or beast. I fear not, i need no one, i am never alone i am. You are the one challenging me i am not challenging you. I am. Who are you. What do you accomplish that is so great tell me, i am want to know why i am lesser than, Theists or not. I don`t want to force anyone week or strong, I accomplish alot alone, you are unraviling calm down.If the only choice i had was to be so angry like you. i would be alone and good. But i feel Good!!!! I just do to my grammer mis speal my acconplishment that i personally accept no one can rival It Is GOD!!!! You in short is the ?????

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#141080 Nov 26, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I understand what you're saying, I do.
My only problem with legal drugs is the ease of getting them. By keeping them illegal it makes it hard to get your hands on - and you risk jail or prison time for it. It deters some users to quit & it deters some from ever starting.
I'm fine with people using drugs casually. But that's the problem with a lot of folks, they can't use drugs in moderation, they allow it to control their lives. Excessive drug use leads todo many problems, I think if they were to become legal, there'd be a lot more addicts out there.
I'd kinda rather have drug lords in charge of their addicts than the federal government. That's a disaster of biblical proportions waiting to happen.
In my opinion, of course.
I would only suggest legalizing marijuana at this time. I would also suggest changes to drug policy that would reflect the actual nature of drug use and abuse. We should treat drug abusers as victims, hold them responsible for anything they might do while high, but not treat them like scum just for making the mistake of getting hooked on a drug.

Even if we legalized all drugs, I wouldn't expect a huge increase in addictions. If drug pushers were put out of business, less people would be bullied into trying drugs. If people had a choice in drugs, they could choose the safest ones. They wouldn't have to live with the fear and paranoia of being caught and incarcerated. It would be nice if we could do that, but that's just not realistic. I don't think it would be a bad idea, necessarily, but I don't think there are enough people in power that know what they're doing to do this in a safe way. If it's just marijuana, I think it's doable and I would recommend it. Marijuana is one of the safest drugs out there, far safer than many of the prescriptions people are getting.

And if all drugs were made legal, pharmaceutical companies would be the knew drug lords. Not that they aren't already. They are just legal drug pushers. The ethics there are sketchy too.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#141081 Nov 26, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You simpleton...
You to your children is NOT equal to God and His.
There you go again, assigning human traits to God so you can try to scrutinize Him....
No, of course you are right, I am NOT equal to God and his action toward his children, I'm much BETTER. I wouldn't even consider murdering my children. To torture them is unthinkable, but your God seems to have no problem whatsoever. I'm not only more moral than your God, I have more compassion than he has. It's still a mystery to me how you can worship a baby killer. If ANYONE committed the evil acts against children that your God has, we would all be horrified that anyone could be so cruel. Yet you shrug it off as though it were nothing. Further evidence of the harm that religion does to the mind. Your God could be the next Jeffery Dormer, and you'd find a rationale for his behavior. Insanity!!!!
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#141082 Nov 26, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You simpleton...
You to your children is NOT equal to God and His.
There you go again, assigning human traits to God so you can try to scrutinize Him....
You make NO MENTION of God murdering a child, WHY IS THAT??????
special atheist gibbs

United States

#141083 Nov 26, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You apparently don't deal in proper English.....
Thats how I know I have the truth.When folks start pointing out my grammar flaws. I win again!!!!
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#141084 Nov 26, 2012
movinon09 wrote:
<quoted text>Delusion you call my faith, thank you i don`t rivale no man good or bad, I don`t fear man or beast. I fear not, i need no one, i am never alone i am. You are the one challenging me i am not challenging you. I am. Who are you. What do you accomplish that is so great tell me, i am want to know why i am lesser than, Theists or not. I don`t want to force anyone week or strong, I accomplish alot alone, you are unraviling calm down.If the only choice i had was to be so angry like you. i would be alone and good. But i feel Good!!!! I just do to my grammer mis speal my acconplishment that i personally accept no one can rival It Is GOD!!!! You in short is the ?????
According to your holy book, I rival God. I am far more compassionate, much more moral, and have never harmed my children. As a matter of fact, I'm more moral than most characters in your holy book.

If you believe in something without evidence then you are delusional, there is no third choice. Personal experience is NOT proof. Neither is seeing Jesus in a peanut butter sandwich.

Here's how it works. If I mumbled some words over my pancakes in the morning hoping to turn them into Elvis, you'd think I was totally insane. But if I do the same in Church over a cracker, I'm just a Catholic.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#141085 Nov 26, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
That's be as accidental as a pot smoker doing the same. Or a Big Mac eater dropping the pickle.
That's irrelevant.
Pot impairs the smokers motor functions & reaction times more than alcohol does. Tobacco doesn't impair you at all.
That's why it's illegal to drive impaired by alcohol or pot. Sometimes law makers get it right.

“ad victoriam”

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#141086 Nov 26, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
One more reason to decriminalize, regulate and tax marijuana sales.
You ruined a good idea with regulate and tax.
You scream of controls and beg for more.

Decriminalize , and stand back.

Keep your hands off of my stash!

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#141087 Nov 26, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Twas to be "bow down"...
What I mean is either we continue to fight the war on drugs, win here lose there or we just lose.
People can't handle drugs, especially if they became legal. People get all crazy when they are let loose.
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it." -Agent K
The War on Drugs was lost long ago. I can buy any illegal drug I want right now with a phone call. I can't walk into a store and buy alcohol. They ask for ID.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 3 min Dang J-ersey Piney 447,374
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 5 min Uncle Jack 71,496
staceygstring 12 min night machine 1
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 28 min Dang J-ersey Piney 995,009
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 55 min kent 699,353
How is it possible that God has always existed?? 57 min Doctor REALITY 6
James Comey's conflicted TWO FACES 2 hr Joe Fortuna 76