Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#140953 Nov 26, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Because belief in something that is not demonstrated or based on evidence is imagination, asserting that it's real beyond your imagination is the very definition of delusion. People suffering from delusions are irrational and illogical, the delusion makes it impossible for them to see past the delusion.
Hey Kitten, you callin me mad, eh? Don't make me unleash the krazy kitty from within, lol.

But why can't there be a 'God'? Why couldn't have something created us?

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#140954 Nov 26, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
You follow a book of myths, and you eat fake food. Wow, you are just a shell.
Hey, you can do what my grandkids do, take the toy and throw every thing else in the garbage, lol.

Location hidden

#140955 Nov 26, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Because they lack the rationality to know what it is?
I was already confused, don't answer the question with a question, now i'm more confused, lol.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#140956 Nov 26, 2012
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
The first is a complete sentence.
The second, though technically incomplete, refers to the first, and the word "curable" is understood.
At least it's understood by intelligent people.
It's even understood by some not-so-intelligent people.
Like you.
Understood?
Do you use a bong?

You don’t want to let any of that rich aroma escape. Suck it deep into the lungs for that transfer of carcinogens into the hemoglobin. Dope heads rule! Another way to say it is, sh** heads rule!

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#140957 Nov 26, 2012
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
But why do some (lagoon guy) of you atheists think all of us theists (me) are irrational?
Probably because the vast majority of religious beliefs we've heard, especially here, are highly irrational.

Like I said, it depends, for one thing, on your definition of god.

It also depends, somewhat, on your level of certainty.

IMO, being certain that there is a god is irrational. Being certain that a particular god, i.e. the Christian god, Allah, etc., exists is even more irrational.

Believing, for instance, that the deist god or Spinoza's god MIGHT exist is a perfectly reasonable, or rational, position.

“lie2menomo”

Since: Jul 09

Fernley,MV

#140958 Nov 26, 2012
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Is this a testimonial or are you addressing somebody in particular?
To Aerobatty, Newbee.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#140959 Nov 26, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
My experience has taught me that a man who has vices is a dumb sh**.
Eagle12
OK, dumbshit.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#140960 Nov 26, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Technically you’re wrong about that and secondly you’re not qualified to be correcting anyone’s grammar. Like I said, take a grammar course at your local Jr College.
You're missing some punctuation.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#140961 Nov 26, 2012
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL!!!
I live in England! It's REALLY not like that here. There are more atheists here than believers!
Don't tell barefoot that.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#140962 Nov 26, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you use a bong?
You don’t want to let any of that rich aroma escape. Suck it deep into the lungs for that transfer of carcinogens into the hemoglobin. Dope heads rule! Another way to say it is, sh** heads rule!
Many moons ago.

Now I use a vaporizer. I bought 1/2 ounce last may and I still have a quarter of it left.

TONS of carcinogens. <rolls eyes>

I used to smoke 2 packs of cigarettes a day. I suppose you don't have a problem with that, though, do you.

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

#140963 Nov 26, 2012
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
But why do some (lagoon guy) of you atheists think all of us theists (me) are irrational?
What are you doing up at this time of night?

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#140964 Nov 26, 2012
movinon09 wrote:
<quoted text>To Aerobatty, Newbee.
I missed it.

And she's no newbie.

“Don't be so dichotomous.”

Embrace the grey.

#140965 Nov 26, 2012
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
Religious belief itself is irrational.

If you evaluated all religious claims equally, you would find that no single religion boasted a more valid supernatural claim. You'd have to pick/choose/select based on some other criteria. For most people, the most important factor in choosing belief is convenience, which also includes early childhood enculturation. When you hear about Jesus all the time, the Jesus myth is the first you would think of adopting. It would also be readily available. People who have never heard of a specific god wouldn't adopt that god belief, even if that god belief was in many ways superior to the convenient store belief being sold a few miles from their home.

We can only accept/reject beliefs that we are aware of, and many people are just so quick to accept that it doesn't matter what the beliefs are, just that they are faith based and satisfy emotional needs.
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#140966 Nov 26, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for that twisted and demented version of our God. Just for the record rape was and is an illegal act. Oh, and God never aborted babies. If you are referring miscarriages that is not the same as an intentional abortion.
(Numbers 31:7-18 NLT)

They attacked Midian just as the LORD had commanded Moses, and they killed all the men. All five of the Midianite kings – Evi, Rekem, Zur, Hur, and Reba – died in the battle. They also killed Balaam son of Beor with the sword. Then the Israelite army captured the Midianite women and children and seized their cattle and flocks and all their wealth as plunder. They burned all the towns and villages where the Midianites had lived. After they had gathered the plunder and captives, both people and animals, they brought them all to Moses and Eleazar the priest, and to the whole community of Israel, which was camped on the plains of Moab beside the Jordan River, across from Jericho.

Moses, Eleazar the priest, and all the leaders of the people went to meet them outside the camp. But Moses was furious with all the military commanders who had returned from the battle. "Why have you let all the women live?" he demanded. "These are the very ones who followed Balaam's advice and caused the people of Israel to rebel against the LORD at Mount Peor. They are the ones who caused the plague to strike the LORD's people. Now kill all the boys and all the women who have slept with a man. Only the young girls who are virgins may live; you may keep them for yourselves.

Clearly Moses and God approves of rape of virgins.

San Francisco, CA

#140967 Nov 26, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
You’re are a pot head according to your own testimony.
Testimony?
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#140968 Nov 26, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for that twisted and demented version of our God. Just for the record rape was and is an illegal act. Oh, and God never aborted babies. If you are referring miscarriages that is not the same as an intentional abortion.
(Deuteronomy 20:10-14)

As you approach a town to attack it, first offer its people terms for peace. If they accept your terms and open the gates to you, then all the people inside will serve you in forced labor. But if they refuse to make peace and prepare to fight, you must attack the town. When the LORD your God hands it over to you, kill every man in the town. But you may keep for yourselves all the women, children, livestock, and other plunder. You may enjoy the spoils of your enemies that the LORD your God has given you.

What kind of God approves of murder, rape, and slavery?

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#140969 Nov 26, 2012
movinon09 wrote:
<quoted text>To Aerobatty, Newbee.
Now I got it.

Sometimes, maybe, but not here apparently.

The stupid thing.:)

Location hidden

#140970 Nov 26, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
What are you doing up at this time of night?
what? it's only 10.06pm!

am i too early? lol

San Francisco, CA

#140971 Nov 26, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you use a bong?
Says the wino.

Location hidden

#140972 Nov 26, 2012
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't tell barefoot that.
Why not?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 4 min Kaitlin the Wolf ... 765,081
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 18 min Innocent Holy dr ... 603,691
What Your Church Won't Tell You by Dave and Gar... (Apr '10) 19 min Protester 33,136
Play "end of the word" (Jan '11) 25 min Trunketeer 4,966
Macy's Parade - Bah Humbug! 29 min Protester 1
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 32 min Remnant of 144000 39,166
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 41 min June VanDerMark 555,038
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 1 hr Pegasus 263,608
Hot gays in Abu Dhabi (Nov '13) 2 hr Ayyan 1,187

Top Stories People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE