Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258461 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#140488 Nov 24, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
All relative & opinionated.
WTF? Do you know what an opinion is?

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#140489 Nov 24, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
So, instead of fewer people dying of medical mistakes, you want more people to die without medicine. Good call.
Nope. I'd like morons like you to not have so much faith in your failing doctors.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#140490 Nov 24, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Cohen huh? I have to LOL at that idiotic phrase.
What "whiff" of science has destroys (sic) God?
Answer: none. You athitards have been trying for 2,000 years....
Here, see if you can deal with this: Science can examine and test everything that is REAL, ever wonder why science can't examine or test your God? As far as science is concerned, your god is only something imagined. Not only science fails to support your God, you are just as likely to destroy you God because you also have no support for this God thing. You're not able to define it in the simplest of terms. You have no idea of any physical attributes it has. You have no idea of it's present location. Everything you have to support your God is imaginary, not one shred of physical evidence do you have. Yes yes, I know, God is beyond the physical, he is beyond our understand, he is beyond time and space, yes I've heard it all. If you God is beyond human understanding, beyond time and space, is NOT physical, then it is IMPOSSIBLE for you to know anything about him, other than what you Theists have conjured up in your imaginations.

Richardfs

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#140491 Nov 24, 2012
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>
Christians dear blacklagoon, Christians..... why do you atheists think you can shove our scriptures down our throats while you prove you know nothing?
It's your book myths. You are just upset that we know more about it than you.
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>
Show us the Scriptures where Jesus told anyone to whip anyone..... I know you can't, just hope you have some fun trying LOL
Show us where he spoke out against slavery?

Apparently it was more important to get people drunk.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#140492 Nov 24, 2012
Richardfs wrote:
Then why the commandments in the first place?
The Ten Commandments define God's idea of perfection, they provide a moral code for governing our lives.
So, because not everybody can afford a slave that makes it alright?
Why would you think that? I guess maybe done, but there are others that refuse to own slaves, whether its legal or not. US slave history is a perfect example of that.

Location hidden

#140493 Nov 24, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't look at actual statistics, do you?
The problem is he's not accurate, correct but not accurate. The offenses being drug related can still include homicides and other violent crimes. Most drug charges are "asides" to the actual charges of theft and more serious crimes as well. However, if the drug problem was cut down, then most of the offenses would likely vanish as well.
Here's a good analysis of the numbers, if you can understand them at all:
http://bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov/content/dcf/duc.cfm
I got my information from this:

On September 30, 2010, federal prisons held 190,641 inmates. Of these, 97,472 were serving time for drug offenses, 14,830 for violent offenses, 11,264 for property offenses, and 65,873 for "public order" offenses (which include immigration and weapons violations).

But then I realized that was only counting federal prisons. So I think this would be a better assessment of "pure" drug charges.

(US Drug Prisoners) "The United States leads the world in the number of people incarcerated in federal and state correctional facilities. There are currently more than 2 million people in American prisons or jails. Approximately one-quarter of those people held in U.S. prisons or jails have been convicted of a drug offense. The United States incarcerates more people for drug offenses than any other country. With an estimated 6.8 million Americans struggling with drug abuse or dependence, the growth of the prison population continues to be driven largely by incarceration for drug offenses."

Source: Justice Policy Institute, "Substance Abuse Treatment and Public Safety," (Washington, DC: January 2008), p. 1.
http://www.justicepolicy.org/images/upload/08...

You correctly noted that many people are in jail for charges that are directly related to addicts doing something illegal to get money for drugs. This issue would be reduced if we offered rehabilitation instead of prison.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#140494 Nov 24, 2012
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
You just did:-
<quoted text>
I missed something, how was my comment condoning slavery?

Location hidden

#140495 Nov 24, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
My God you're an assumptive one...
When did I say that I wish for a time before technology? I said its all relative.
When have I suggested that I deny science & technology? I haven't.
As I said, make up YOUR mind.
How are crime statistics relative? Did people used to enjoy the threat of murder and rape?
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#140496 Nov 24, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
No ones justifying slavery, you nitwit. It's a part of our history. All of us, all humans in all civilizations.
Maybe humans followed your Gods advice and kept slaves because god said it was ok.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#140497 Nov 24, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>So, you agree with the war on drugs then? You think that we should continue to stuff our prisons far past capacity in order to make way for people who got caught with some pot or some coke? You think that we should ruin lives and brand people as felons for the rest of their lives because they had, or have a drug habit? You think that using drugs make you a criminal?
So, yeah, I meant to type that. We shouldn't be feeding the prison industrial complex with a steady supply of so called "criminals," who did nothing more than attempt to change their state of mind, something that, in a civilized society, would be considered absurd. We shouldn't continue to waste taxpayer money to keep these guys locked away - we shouldn't be forced to pay the ever increasing costs (prison construction, room and board, correction officer salaries, police expenses etc) of a never ending, draconian drug war. We shouldn't have to tolerate SWAT teams breaking into houses in the middle of the night and terrorizing, and often times murdering people whose only crime was the possession of plants or chemicals. And let's not even get into all the times they somehow manage to break into the wrong house and murder some random guy.
Here is your drug war in action - and keep in mind, this is one of the more mild scenarios, it could have been A LOT worse.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =6b-67q0vlCwXX
All for some weed. From what I've heard, the guy wasn't even a dealer, some random asshole ratted him out to avoid a charge. He just had some weed, and they shot his dogs in front of his small child. Armed, armored men with assault rifles and military grade supplies broke into a family home in the middle of the night and terrorized them. That's your drug war. And remember, much worse things have happened, and continue to happen under the guise of "protecting us from drugs."
You know what would end many of the problems associated with drug use? End the drug war. Legalize everything. Poof. There goes the black market, and with it much of the robbery, murder, and overall crime that is so often associated with drugs. If people can get their drugs from legit sources, the black market would have no reason to exist. Our "war" only perpetuates the black market, it creates the high profit margins and cutthroat business practices that go along with drug dealing. Of course, we would also need to offer rehabilitation to addicts instead of tossing them into prison - that doesn't solve anything, that just gives you an older crack addict once he gets out. If we help them rather than throwing them away, we mitigate some of the social problems associated with use.
Legalize all drugs? Are you out of your mind? Just legalizing pot is a problem. Driving while high causes more deaths each year than driving while drunk!

Why take the easy, stupid road? The answer is to eliminate all drugs & all drug use. Sure, sounds like an impossible task & it just might be. Especially with sympathetic idiots like you out there trying to make drugs legal.

Just wait until your robbed by some low-life meth head, then see if you still accept that drugs users, abusers & dealers should not be in jail.

Location hidden

#140498 Nov 24, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
It is up to you to tell someone of faith what they can believe? And Christians have to abide by what you tell them?
You’re authorized to redefine the battery limits of morality?
Your view supersedes the Word of God?
How is the religious right discriminating against people? By our individual right to vote how we choose? Because we choose to vote opposite from you, we are to be ashamed?
Tim, you don’t want to live in a democracy. You want to live in a dictatorship. Sir, you will not take away my freedom.
"Give me Liberty, or Give me Death!"
Patrick Henry
[On that day, at St. John's Church in Richmond, Virginia, and is credited with having swung the balance in convincing the Virginia House of Burgesses to pass a resolution delivering the Virginia troops to the Revolutionary War. Among the delegates to the convention were future US Presidents Thomas Jefferson and George Washington].
Again, you are ridiculous. You cannot invoke "religious freedom" to discriminate against people. Your religion is not sacred. You are not free to hide under the guise of religion to justify your bigotry.

I ask you again, would you defend a christian man who claimed religious freedom in his hatred of blacks, or in beating his wife?

And stop grandstanding. It is futile in the face of the atheist war machine anyway. I told you, we have those gas chambers primed and ready for the purge. It's coming. You've been right - every time you wondered if we were planning a war against your brethren.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#140499 Nov 24, 2012
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>
Christians dear blacklagoon, Christians..... why do you atheists think you can shove our scriptures down our throats while you prove you know nothing?
Show us the Scriptures where Jesus told anyone to whip anyone..... I know you can't, just hope you have some fun trying LOL
How wrote Exodus 21:20-21 NAB?

Location hidden

#140500 Nov 24, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
"There's nothing definitive"
Thank you.
IT WAS A JOKE. And either way, he's a bigoted, hateful, pitiful excuse for a human being. What if he ran a "colored folk" conversion camp - to get minorities to act more white? Would you defend that?

Richardfs

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#140501 Nov 24, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
So, instead of fewer people dying of medical mistakes, you want more people to die without medicine. Good call.
Nobody ever claimed godbots were bright.

Location hidden

#140502 Nov 24, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
"he doesn't deserve fair treatment"
Really?
Isn’t that how the Nazi’s viewed the Jews? They didn’t deserve fair treatment?
Eagle, I swear, if you compare the "plight" of the christians in modern day american to that of the jews in nazi germany, the frickin' mossad is gonna come get you. You are cheapening the horrible things that happened back then by making that comparison.

And no, he does not deserve fair treatment. Does a member of the kkk deserve fair treatment?
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#140503 Nov 24, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Assume much? She didn't have throat cancer, she had a pencil eraser sized piece of cancer in her lung. It was later found to be harmless to her.
They operated on her without testing her enough to see if she'd survive the surgery. Her heart stopped after surgery, it wasn't strong enough.
It was their fault that she died.
I thought you believes in miracles? Here was a perfect opportunity for a God given miracle, what happened, your god was busy that day. Maybe he was involved in a football games somewhere, answering the prayers of a quarterback. I know, it was her time to Go and God took her. I wonder who some people are saved through prayers, others through God given miracles, and other not saved at all? Yeah, WHO CAN KNOW THE MIND OF GOD......GOD WORKS IN MYSTERIOUS WAYS........

Location hidden

#140504 Nov 24, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow, you provide evidence of your stupidity and you post conspiracy nonsense in the same post.
Most people shot who die do so in the hospital, at the hands of doctors, because they can't prevent all deaths. Malaria is only in check, though not yet extinct like some of the others, only because of medical sciences, people use to die from that all the time, now you have the luxury of actually being scared of it before even being infected.
The immune system is useful, but not very strong, you still catch colds and flus, because of them constantly evolving. Black plague, gone only because of medical science. Food no longer kills you with as much frequency, you were lucky to get a meal that didn't make you sick only 200 years ago.
A broken bone, a death sentence in times before modern medicine, is now a minor inconvenience, painful still, but only an inconvenience. Tetanus, use to kill millions when there were only a few hundred million, now a worst case scenario is you lose a hand, but the chance of that infection is almost negligible due to medical science.
You are using the internet, it's only about 30 years since it was made global and available for all. Without it you wouldn't know that malaria is even a threat until most people were infected with it, news broadcasts were never known for punctuality ... of course 100 years ago new media didn't even get to your door unless you were some high up official, and then it was still highly inaccurate and often completely wrong.
You have technology that anyone can afford now, things that only the wealthiest would be able to afford only 50 years ago. Even the poorest people have laptops, cellphones, etc. in some of the poorest countries.
You can walk down the street without being shot, the chances of you actually being harmed walking down the street are less than being struck by lightning. You have vices, and plenty of time to enjoy them. You don't have to work a field for 16 hours a day just to get enough food to survive, and barely survive.
Yes, this generation has it very easy, I remember when catalogs were the only way to have things delivered and that was just junk, nothing really useful. I am envious of children today, they are safer now than ever, they have more they can learn now than ever. You do as well, you just have to be a pessimist and a victim all the time. You can't even take the time to enjoy the time you can take just because it would mean you'd have to admit that life is good.
Good post. Also, I forgot to tell you, I also like the classics from the 90's. But at the same time, I'm not the biggest fan of JRPGs. Too little innovation for me, they all have a very similar formula.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#140505 Nov 24, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah. Segregation, lynchings, rampant homophobia, hate crimes, illiteracy, disease, religious intolerance, and worst of all, no xboxes. Sounds GREAT.
ALL of that still happens today. Except nowadays it's more tolerated. Back in the day, if you kill someone, you got killed back. There was justice & order.

Location hidden

#140506 Nov 24, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope. It was your precious modern medicine that did her in, just like thousands of other people every year.
"The Zhan and Miller study supported the Institute of Medicine's 1999 report conclusion, which found that medical errors caused up to 98,000 deaths annually and should be considered a national epidemic."
I hope your doctors will come back to God. Through God there is knowledge.
Ok. Then never accept any help from a dr. None. If you get cancer, pray.

“What game?”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#140507 Nov 24, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Shit at.
I wanna hear that story. Was it a drive-by?

:-)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 1 hr Gabriel 979,272
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 2 hr spinosaurus baryo... 92,257
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 2 hr bad bob 183,608
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 3 hr Pegasus is a pus sy 285,942
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 3 hr RiccardoFire 46,035
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 5 hr truth 667,516
Waiting to pee 6 hr Tallguy95 1
More from around the web