Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 256560 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#139767 Nov 21, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
What I’m doing Sir is telling the world it was in the bible, and a common place in that time in world history. You only care about demeaning the Bible without telling the whole truth. It was a legal practice around the globe during that span in history.
You are comparing the moral standard of the modern free world with the moral standard of the entire world 4000 years ago. You let Egypt off the hook and every empire that employed slaves during that period. Very one sided I might say.
Well I give you credit for not claiming it's NOT in the bible, or as Redpecker says, the passage was not translated well.

Family and friends for Thanksgiving no doubt, have a merry one!!!!!
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#139768 Nov 21, 2012
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
I am a pathetic violinist
No excuse for that, practice more, bow pressure, quick fingers, coordinate up and down bows with fingerings. Improve your sight-reading by playing everything you can get yours hands on, try some improvisation with the Jamie Aberersold CD's.......Sorry, got carried away!!!!!

“Wrath”

Since: Dec 10

Is revenant

#139769 Nov 21, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
What if she let me know when you've made up her mind.
I know what that means.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#139770 Nov 21, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
In the larger scheme of things, slavery made the difference between living and dying. Forced adaptation to a new culture as a classless person versus death. When you had enemies you could take some as slaves, where they often interbred with their masters, or genocide was performed. Slaves often rose to some positions of power in those societies.
It was the profit motive and commercialization of slave labor in the secular and material world that you seem to be so upset about. The end of that commercialization was brought about primarily because of religious beliefs. Those weren't atheists pushing for its abolition.
One human being OWNING another human being is IMMORAL, period. The God of the bible endorses slavery, and that would be the end of that conversation.

“Wrath”

Since: Dec 10

Is revenant

#139771 Nov 21, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Any American that's on Topix tomorrow is a LOSER.
Just FYI...
Explain how you "get on" topix?
Are you trying to say posting on topix on thanksgiving is some sort of weakness? Because you post here about everyday if you are absent for 1 or two days or even a fortnight it doesn't change your moral or financial fiber.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#139772 Nov 21, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
How much R&D has been done trying to fight leukemia? What would be lost if God just *poofed* it all away?
A new low. Defending childhood leukemia for your god.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#139773 Nov 21, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
In the larger scheme of things, slavery made the difference between living and dying. Forced adaptation to a new culture as a classless person versus death. When you had enemies you could take some as slaves, where they often interbred with their masters, or genocide was performed. Slaves often rose to some positions of power in those societies.
It was the profit motive and commercialization of slave labor in the secular and material world that you seem to be so upset about. The end of that commercialization was brought about primarily because of religious beliefs. Those weren't atheists pushing for its abolition.
Funny.`
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#139774 Nov 21, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You are so ignorant. It was Christians that helped free the American slaves!
Correct, it was the Northern Christians that made the Southern Christians give up the slaves they thought they had a "God given right" to own. God given because it was endorsed by God in the bible.

Since: Sep 10

United States

#139775 Nov 21, 2012
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>One human being OWNING another human being is IMMORAL, period. The God of the bible endorses slavery, and that would be the end of that conversation.
Dave doesn't understand that sort of concept, the immorality of one human being owning another, as chattel.

And yet, he's so quick to judge others.

Go figure.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#139776 Nov 21, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
So some crazies are anti-abortion. That didn't answer my question...
The KKK may call themselves Christian, but they are not. No Christian would kill like they do, no Christian would burn a cross...
But they would decimate 65 cities slaughtering men women and children. They burned most of these cities to the ground, I'm sure there were many crosses that were consumed by the fires. And al under the direct orders of your demon God!!

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's teapot

#139777 Nov 21, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
:-)
My revenge is knowing you got a headache from the mental exercise.
Had fun doing it, Dave. I even endeavored to put the text into a semi human profile.

...or something like that.

“A sentient umbrella speaks”

Since: Mar 11

Some stable somewhere

#139778 Nov 21, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
Let’s do talk about slavery. It seems to me that man is far more evil that God. When slavery comes up here on topix. This is never mentioned. As Atheist paint God as evil they don’t bother to talk about slavery in the last 100 years.
Wiki:
Comfort women are girls and women who were forced into sexual slavery by the Japanese military during World War II.
Estimates vary as to how many women were involved, with numbers ranging from as low as 20,000 from some Japanese scholarsto as high as 410,000 from some Chinese scholars,but the exact numbers are still being researched and debated. A majority of the women were from Korea, China, Japan and the Philippines, although women from Thailand, Vietnam, Malaysia, Taiwan, Indonesia and other Japanese-occupied territories were used for military "comfort stations". Stations were located in Japan, China, the Philippines, Indonesia, then Malaya, Thailand, then Burma, then New Guinea, Hong Kong, Macau, and what was then French Indochina.
Young women from countries under Japanese Imperial control were abducted from their homes. In many cases, women were also lured with promises of work in factories or restaurants. Once recruited, the women were incarcerated in "comfort stations" in foreign lands. Other women were rounded up at gunpoint, some being raped before being herded into "comfort stations".A Dutch government study described how the Japanese military itself recruited women by force in the Dutch East Indies. Some "comfort stations" were run by private agents supervised by the Japanese Army or run directly by the Japanese Army.
Some Japanese, such as historian Ikuhiko Hata, deny that there was organized forced recruitment of comfort women by the Japanese government or military. Other Japanese historians, using the testimony of ex-comfort women and surviving Japanese soldiers have argued that the Imperial Japanese Army and Navy were either directly or indirectly involved in coercing, deceiving, luring, and sometimes kidnapping young women throughout Japan's occupied territories.
Eagle, the above was horrible, and Japan continues to refuse to apologize for it. Rather, they provide "aid" to the nations as recompense. I believe the government has paid some of the "comfort" women of the Philippines. Based on my reading, I would guess a number nearer the higher end of the numbers you provided.

Equally bad, and ongoing, is the sex slave trade. Women are stolen from remote villages near the Thai/China border and exported to Japan. I was going to do research on them - met a few women who were stolen, raped repeatedly to be "broken" and now absolutely and utterly hate men - but the Yakuza told me that study was not in their best interests.

This is a worldwide issue, the above is one small slice of it, and the UN has declarations against it, but nations are mobilizing very slowly against the sex slave trade.

Do you like chocolate? Most chocolate is produced by slave children - stolen from villages in Africa. They're usually pre-teen when they're taken and escape some time in their teens or after they mature into men.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#139779 Nov 21, 2012
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>One human being OWNING another human being is IMMORAL, period. The God of the bible endorses slavery, and that would be the end of that conversation.
In most places of the world parents "own" their children.

The government, people, "own" you. They can very well decide your opportunities and fate.

That IMMORAL is a strong statement. Where do you get that? Sounds religious.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#139780 Nov 21, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Just because it's in the Bible doesn't mean it's Christian law...
If that were the case, then why don't I have a Garden of Eden? Am I supposed to build an Ark, too? Will I part The Red Sea?
NO.
Leviticus is an ACCOUNT, a record, of Levite history. It's a reminder to us all to NOT repeat some of the mistakes they made.
Get a grip, dude.
This from a totally unbiased site. The Summit Theological Seminary

Special attention payed to the passage that states, "the book of Leviticus quotes THE WORDS OF GOD more than any book in the bible. Nice try though, keep trying!!!

LEVITICUS - A Fresh Look At An Ancient Book

John R. Mitchell

Is Leviticus a rich resource for spiritual growth or a rusty relic to be tossed aside and ignored? Why should Christians be interested in this Old Testament book? It has been written and often stated that no single book in the Bible is less read than the Book of Leviticus. What is so interesting, however, is that the Book of Leviticus quotes the words of God more than any book in the Bible. For this reason, it can't be boring, for who among us would dare to call God boring, and therefore must surely be of value to Christians today. The challenge is to unlock this wonderful book in a way that allows one to see the value, the purpose and the blessings found on these sacred pages. Leviticus is God's picture book. When read, meditated upon and approached with intent to see spiritual ideas, Leviticus unlocks and portrays, in a picture format, many Christian principles taught in the New Testament. If the old saying is true that "a picture is worth a thousand words" then Leviticus should be a book all Christians eagerly read and study for it is certainly full of word pictures valuable to all.

Some stable somewhere

#139781 Nov 21, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
What I’m doing Sir is telling the world it was in the bible, and a common place in that time in world history. You only care about demeaning the Bible without telling the whole truth. It was a legal practice around the globe during that span in history.
You are comparing the moral standard of the modern free world with the moral standard of the entire world 4000 years ago. You let Egypt off the hook and every empire that employed slaves during that period. Very one sided I might say.
Eagle...uhm...this is embarrassing...the "but everyone's doing it" argument doesn't really lend the Bible moral credence.

Seriously.

You're old enough to know better.

Some stable somewhere

#139782 Nov 21, 2012
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, and a goal of physics for a LONG time has been to find a unified theory of all the forces. The best candidate we have for this is string theory, although the standard model unifies E&M, and the weak and strong forces.
<quoted text>
No, you are describing one of the main goals of physics over the last century or so.
<quoted text>
In a very loose way of speaking. More accurately, they formed from the energy via particle/anti-particle production.
<quoted text>
No. No shrinking after the expansion got started.
Only with cold, cold water, I'm told.

Westcliffe, CO

#139783 Nov 21, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Dave doesn't understand that sort of concept, the immorality of one human being owning another, as chattel.
And yet, he's so quick to judge others.
Go figure.
The Pharisees, AKA lawyers, of America "own" the people of America. They are chattel of the law.

You disagree?

Some stable somewhere

#139784 Nov 21, 2012
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>No excuse for that, practice more, bow pressure, quick fingers, coordinate up and down bows with fingerings. Improve your sight-reading by playing everything you can get yours hands on, try some improvisation with the Jamie Aberersold CD's.......Sorry, got carried away!!!!!
I have a violin! I suck worse than DF.

Some stable somewhere

#139785 Nov 21, 2012
Goodbye Kids!

Don't play nice.

Westcliffe, CO

#139786 Nov 21, 2012
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
Had fun doing it, Dave. I even endeavored to put the text into a semi human profile.
...or something like that.
I am flattered you did that. Gives humans such as yourself a reference point in advancing themselves. However, it will take a while for them to evolve to my level. Don't expect much overnight. Some of you are hairy enough to approach my status, but it isn't the real thing. Perhaps Hiding can help you in that endeavor.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 2 min Steve III 45,246
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 17 min here 64,111
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 17 min Steve III 654,116
*** All Time Favorite Songs *** (Dec '10) 21 min Classic 3,818
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 33 min crucifiedguy 281,884
Queen Cleopatra was clearly Black. White people... (Aug '10) 52 min gundee123 824
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 53 min entezariabbass 106,544
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 1 hr Lumatrix 973,845
More from around the web