Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 244780 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#139676 Nov 21, 2012
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
A lot of them dont really believe in hell any more. Not as a place as punishment. The fundies do though. They are mentally sick people.
Yes, the religions of the east are better. Its the abrahamic ones which we have a problem with.
I think the eastern religions were alot better, but they've been corrupted too much. The eastern religions put a lot of stress on empathy, but they to have their problems.

What I find really shocking is that the eastern religions are mainly the oldest religions on this planet, but they have soo much love and understanding, but the western religions are modern and they're still living in the caveman times or something.

“There's a feeling I get...”

Since: Jun 11

...when I look to the West

#139677 Nov 21, 2012
Hey, to all you English blokes... You got us this Saturday! Think you can handle the Boks?

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#139678 Nov 21, 2012
Coming from you the guy who thinks deists threaten people to believe in Jesus or go to hell and oh ya that nice Cassandra Peterson was just a sweet mid western gal who unlike others didn't have to pose naked to get where she got to!

Go back to your alphabet magnets before your wife wants to hang something on the refrigerator again.
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Some people spend their lives traveling to one delusion from another.
Enjoy your trips.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#139679 Nov 21, 2012
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
Merci
<quoted text>
The latter, my dear
<quoted text>
Then allow me to give my standard introduction:
I am the King of Bling,
The Sultan of Swing
The Master of Disaster,
The guy that can always go faster.
The Ding of Dong,
The King of Kong.
The Sing of Song,
The Ping of Pong.
The Ayatollah of Rock 'n Rolla,
All the sh*t and Shinola
The Daddy of Sex,
The Tyrannosaurus of Rex.
Every females ultimate dream,
And the one that can make them scream.
The immovable object AND the unstoppable force,
The one, the only, the Eternal Dark Horse
The Shaman of Sexy
The Guru of Greatness
The Ace of Spades
The King of Hearts
Fine.
Refined.
Double Fine.
You forgot the vastly entertaining, DF.

Location hidden

#139680 Nov 21, 2012
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
Merci
<quoted text>
The latter, my dear
<quoted text>
Then allow me to give my standard introduction:
I am the King of Bling,
The Sultan of Swing
The Master of Disaster,
The guy that can always go faster.
The Ding of Dong,
The King of Kong.
The Sing of Song,
The Ping of Pong.
The Ayatollah of Rock 'n Rolla,
All the sh*t and Shinola
The Daddy of Sex,
The Tyrannosaurus of Rex.
Every females ultimate dream,
And the one that can make them scream.
The immovable object AND the unstoppable force,
The one, the only, the Eternal Dark Horse
The Shaman of Sexy
The Guru of Greatness
The Ace of Spades
The King of Hearts
Fine.
Refined.
Double Fine.
lol, You've been more people then I have!!

I can just remember being;

Queen of hearts
Jatti
catwomEn
Sherni
√úbermensch
jalandhar jalebi

That's all I can remember atm this was all like 4 years ago!

You've never been king kong have u? I use to know him.

Westcliffe, CO

#139681 Nov 21, 2012
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
I think the eastern religions were alot better, but they've been corrupted too much. The eastern religions put a lot of stress on empathy, but they to have their problems.
What I find really shocking is that the eastern religions are mainly the oldest religions on this planet, but they have soo much love and understanding, but the western religions are modern and they're still living in the caveman times or something.
Western religions are more individual oriented, I believe.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#139682 Nov 21, 2012
Those are the ones who don't truly follow what teir God commands them.

I must say wiping your @ss with pages of the Quran is great and by far better than using bible pages. Bible pages are more crinkly and brittle whereas Quran pages tend to be printed on stronger yet softer paper, much more pleasing to the skin.

So web you travel keep a Quran with you, Muslims will smile at you and maybe be less likely to blow you up and when you use the restrooms you have a handy, portable, personal source of toilet paper. Much more hygienic than using some community roll!

Praise be to the prophet for making a book that can best be used to nicely to wipe one's @ss.

Christians, you hear that? Best get using better paper in your book of myths so it can catch up!
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol, but how is it that some christians/muslims are still nice? They believe in their books, but they're not evil!

Location hidden

#139683 Nov 21, 2012
Croco_Duck wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL! Are you American? It's a saying that means "neat".
I'm Englian! I'm an Indian girl from England.

Oh, I got the main gist of it, darling!:)

Who's TOT, you mean LOT?

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#139684 Nov 21, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
In the larger scheme of things, slavery made the difference between living and dying. Forced adaptation to a new culture as a classless person versus death. When you had enemies you could take some as slaves, where they often interbred with their masters, or genocide was performed. Slaves often rose to some positions of power in those societies.
It was the profit motive and commercialization of slave labor in the secular and material world that you seem to be so upset about. The end of that commercialization was brought about primarily because of religious beliefs. Those weren't atheists pushing for its abolition.
[tipping hat]

Location hidden

#139685 Nov 21, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Western religions are more individual oriented, I believe.
I don't get it!

I was talking about what the religious books say, not how individuals interpret them.

Westcliffe, CO

#139686 Nov 21, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
I must say wiping your @ss with pages of the Quran is great and by far better than using bible pages. Bible pages are more crinkly and brittle whereas Quran pages tend to be printed on stronger yet softer paper, much more pleasing to the skin.
So web you travel keep a Quran with you, Muslims will smile at you and maybe be less likely to blow you up and when you use the restrooms you have a handy, portable, personal source of toilet paper. Much more hygienic than using some community roll!
Praise be to the prophet for making a book that can best be used to nicely to wipe one's @ss.
Christians, you hear that? Best get using better paper in your book of myths so it can catch up!
<quoted text>
If there was ever a zit screaming to get popped, you are it.

Location hidden

#139687 Nov 21, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh dear me, I not going to laugh, I'm not! I'm being serious, I'm not!!! Oh dear, I'm going to cry!

Why do white individuals especially the women, convert into Islam? Are they honestly being serious when they say, "Islam gives women freedom"??? Have they even read the koran or maybe they read a different koran to me?
Nikki

Haacht, Belgium

#139688 Nov 21, 2012
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
Good post.
From Belgium, are you?
Hoe gaan dit met jou? Jy praat Flaams, korrek?
Inderdaad! En met mij gaat alles goed. Met jou?

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#139689 Nov 21, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
Blessed art the ones with sht stained left hands.
<quoted text>
Who's Art?
Nikki

Haacht, Belgium

#139690 Nov 21, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
In the larger scheme of things, slavery made the difference between living and dying. Forced adaptation to a new culture as a classless person versus death. When you had enemies you could take some as slaves, where they often interbred with their masters, or genocide was performed. Slaves often rose to some positions of power in those societies.
So what I'm getting from this is that slavery is bad, but still ok because at least it's not as bad as murder...

Why couldn't your god just forbid both in the bible, I doesn't seem like it would be that hard...

Being forced into slavery and getting killed should never be the only two options an innocent man has.
It was the profit motive and commercialization of slave labor in the secular and material world that you seem to be so upset about.
No it's the principal of deeming a man so inferior to yourself, either for economic reasons or because he comes from a different country, worships a different god or has a different skin colour, that you believe that you can treat him as your property.

The book of rules made up by a moral, compassionate god should try to put a stop to something like that.
The end of that commercialization was brought about primarily because of religious beliefs. Those weren't atheists pushing for its abolition.
Religious people in the North opposed slavery, religious people in the south thought it was a blessing from god.

Both believed their position to be supported by the bible.

( http://www.libraryindex.com/history/pages/cmx... )

It proves only this: good people do good things, bad (or uneducated) people do bad things. The bible can be used to justify both sides, that means it's not a very clear guideline on morality.

“Live Good, & Feel Good.”

Since: Aug 09

Atl.

#139692 Nov 21, 2012
_BobLoblah_ wrote:
<quoted text>21Nov12.....
.....Do NOT listen to dis schidt-for-brains 'bossDroppings', Clementia. You have more common sense den this eeejit has.
Ps:'bossDroppings' is fulla schidt to da eyeballs.
..and den sum tooooooooooo.
Forever and Ever
BobLoblah
<grin>, thanks for the warm thoughts.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#139693 Nov 21, 2012
Thinking wrote:
Why do you call al-qaeda muslims?
Because they are.
<quoted text>
Ah. Genius.

“Live Good, & Feel Good.”

Since: Aug 09

Atl.

#139694 Nov 21, 2012
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
I think generally most people who call themselves sikhs are very nice. It's very hard to deny historical evidence that the guru's who wrote the GGS were very nice people. It's because of this fact, that it's very hard for sikhs to take the 'evil' parts of the GGS and justify their evil actions, like we can see many muslims doing with the koran.
I don't have a problem with Gandhi, but I do with his views. I think people have made him nicer than he actually was.
I also believe God is Omniscient, Omnipresent and Omnipotent, not because the bible says it, but because my faith says it too. However, we don't have the fear of hell and pleasure of heaven. Hell is a place were there is no God, but God is everywhere, so where is hell????
"Wherever you keep me, I am in heaven" - GGS
How do you make the connection if God is not present in hell, you question the existence of hell?

God is not present on the sun, but you see the sun everyday don't you?

Omnipresent means just that. So although God is not on the sun, the sun is in the presence of God. And just because God's Spirit will not be in hell, hell will be in God's presence.

Again, goes back to my question to you yesterday. If you believe God is Omnipotent, then how can you believe some of the bible and not all of it?

You say God is Omnipotent. That means God is powerful enough to inspire His creation mankind to record EXACTLY in the bible what God wants us to know. And to intervene into the affairs of mankind to make sure ONLY the authentic books are included in the bible.

That is Omnipotence. To say you embrace some of the bible, and not all, you're conceding you do not believe God is omnipotent....and you could an atheist.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#139695 Nov 21, 2012
Thinking wrote:
If only you knew of an all powerful god that could prevent childhood leukaemia. Or maybe you think they need to fall on their arses too.
<quoted text>
How much R&D has been done trying to fight leukemia? What would be lost if God just *poofed* it all away?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#139696 Nov 21, 2012
Thinking wrote:
There are plenty of christards on Topix that quote Leviticus to justify their gay issues.
<quoted text>
I know. I've seen. They're wrong.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 3 min Tide with Beach 864,328
Which is the Oldest Indian Language? Sanskrit V... (Jul '08) 12 min Neelakaran 7,492
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 12 min Liam 599,552
The Christian Atheist debate 16 min Rosa_Winkel 1,974
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 16 min dollarsbill 6,432
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 27 min MUQ2 40,863
There is Everything Wrong with Abortion (Nov '07) 46 min Liam R 221,989
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 9 hr Great Day of Arma... 612,898
More from around the web