Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#139462 Nov 20, 2012
Thinking wrote:
No. You can't debate because you're a fuckwit.
<quoted text>
Well, sha-hit man!

With THAT kind of argument.....

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#139463 Nov 20, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
As far as I'm concerned, you can't be an atheist at all unless you BELIEVE there are no gods (not even one). It's not enough to not believe in God/gods, or we're going to have to call my cats atheists.
So that's what all atheists have in common: they see the universe as being deity-free. They are the opposite of theists, who think the universe includes a deity (or two, or three...).
You only think that because of how saturated our society is with religion. Religion is accepted as the default position, even though it's not, so much so that anyone who isn't religion simply *must* have a similarly strong belief, just in the opposite direction. Well, that's false. I am telling you, as an atheist, that I do not believe in a god, and I am telling you, as an atheist, that I do not believe there is no god. Am I lying to you? I am open to the possibility of god, if given enough evidence. I see no reason why a god couldn't be possible, however, given the current state of things, I consider a god, especially as described in the bible, as extremely unlikely.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#139464 Nov 20, 2012
Thinking wrote:
No. You can't debate because you're a fuckwit.
<quoted text>
But 'Thinking', should we really give all blame to God? Are we humans not responsible for the famine and disease on this earth? It's like saying let's blame the alcohol/tobacco companies for people getting fibrosis of the liver or lung cancer. Are the people themselves not to blame too??

Since: Feb 08

Tampa, FL

#139465 Nov 20, 2012
Can fictional characters be looked at scientifically?
Clementia wrote:
Look Mister, God is not a fictional character
How do you know?

Location hidden

#139466 Nov 20, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh. So you know that God isn't real, then....
Are you trying to be obstinate, or are you just stupid?

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#139467 Nov 20, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
The laws in Leviticus were originally written for the Levites. In fact, "Leviticus" comes from Greek which means "relating to Levites".
I'm not sure why it was decided to leve it in the bible. Maybe for historical preservation? I don't know.
But I do know that it's a historical record of Levite laws, NOT Christian laws.
I don't know what to believe!!

Location hidden

#139468 Nov 20, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Yup. Now go find a stamp collecting thread & "prove" to the stamp collectors how stupid and wrong they all are.
We already covered this. Remember the vampire thing? Do stamp collectors pass legislation based on 2000 year old stamps that influences my life? Do stamp collectors bomb post offices for releasing the wrong stamps? Get it?

Location hidden

#139469 Nov 20, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You are part of a system. If you are intelligent, then the system is.
Timmy, those voices in your head.....?
Another leap of logic. Our consciousness does not imply that the universe is conscious. Where do you get this stuff?
Thinking

Andover, UK

#139470 Nov 20, 2012
Hitler also embraced the occult. Again, not Atheist...
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
um.... What? He was raised by Catholic parents, but didn't stay catholic. Like a lot of the atheists here, he converted.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#139471 Nov 20, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
If you wouldn't be so fearful of the word "faith", you'd understand.
Atheists have faith in their opinion that there is no god.
Done.
Since it's not fact, it's belief, or faith...
It is a fact. I don't believe in gods.
Thinking

Andover, UK

#139472 Nov 20, 2012
An all powerful god could make lungs that regenerated.
Why didn't it?
Wouldn't you give your kids the best?
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
But 'Thinking', should we really give all blame to God? Are we humans not responsible for the famine and disease on this earth? It's like saying let's blame the alcohol/tobacco companies for people getting fibrosis of the liver or lung cancer. Are the people themselves not to blame too??

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#139473 Nov 20, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
If you wouldn't be so fearful of the word "faith", you'd understand.
Atheists have faith in their opinion that there is no god.
Done.
Since it's not fact, it's belief, or faith...
You didn't capitalize the word god. Which one were you referring to?

Location hidden

#139474 Nov 20, 2012
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know what to believe!!
Believe that Leviticus is a record of Levite laws, not Christian laws.

Location hidden

#139475 Nov 20, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>You only think that because of how saturated our society is with religion. Religion is accepted as the default position, even though it's not, so much so that anyone who isn't religion simply *must* have a similarly strong belief, just in the opposite direction. Well, that's false. I am telling you, as an atheist, that I do not believe in a god, and I am telling you, as an atheist, that I do not believe there is no god. Am I lying to you? I am open to the possibility of god, if given enough evidence. I see no reason why a god couldn't be possible, however, given the current state of things, I consider a god, especially as described in the bible, as extremely unlikely.
Nice post. I don't think your 100% atheist. You're open to the possibility of a god. I see that as a good start.

Location hidden

#139476 Nov 20, 2012
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
lol good call

And it's McDonald's that "makes" people fat..

Location hidden

#139477 Nov 20, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Are you trying to be obstinate, or are you just stupid?
No. Merely showing a fact.

That either one believes or one knows...

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#139478 Nov 20, 2012
Clementia wrote:
OMG, so the Bible did say it, but to fit in with modern thinking you ignore it? huh? How can you pick and choose which bits to follow? Is the Bible not all true then?
Why would God not condemn keeping slaves?
I agree. It's obvious that he is picking and choosing what he likes.

Location hidden

#139479 Nov 20, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>We already covered this. Remember the vampire thing? Do stamp collectors pass legislation based on 2000 year old stamps that influences my life? Do stamp collectors bomb post offices for releasing the wrong stamps? Get it?
Do Christians pass laws that influence your life?

Do Christians bomb post offices?

You have an odd view of Christians.

Location hidden

#139480 Nov 20, 2012
Thinking wrote:
Hitler also embraced the occult. Again, not Atheist...
<quoted text>
What would I know. I'm just a fucktard.

Location hidden

#139481 Nov 20, 2012
Thinking wrote:
An all powerful god could make lungs that regenerated.
Why didn't it?
Wouldn't you give your kids the best?
<quoted text>
Why should He?

Why would He?

How would we ever learn if God always fixed everything?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 9 min Oxbow 548,695
i am waiting for u 23 min Aakash Ahmedabad 1
Play "end of the word" (Jan '11) 36 min Al Capone 4,779
Word association game (Aug '08) 43 min andet1987 53,432
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 44 min mike 602,180
African-Americans Are Figuring Obama Out! 46 min andet1987 2
Do you know the best black and white dating sit... (Dec '12) 57 min katy 14
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 1 hr RADEKT 261,678
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 1 hr BobbyB1990 750,700
Have any girls on here had sex with a dog??? (Feb '12) 5 hr chevyguy 127

Top Stories People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE