Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
132,641 - 132,660 of 226,167 Comments Last updated 4 min ago

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2012

Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
No, it doesn't. Why do you think it does?
<quoted text>
No, it doesn't. Why do you think it does?
<quoted text>
You were wrong on the first two postulations. I'm sorry, you're also not correct here.
And, if you read what I wrote, you'd realize I did not give you a firm date of 6 million years.
It must be my fault. I'm a terrible teacher. I'll try again. It goes like this:
1. Chimps and hominin split at roughly 6 mya
2. Chimps still have the 2 chromosomes split
3. Devonian hominin show the human pattern
4. Devonian hominin evolved roughly 400 kya but it's likely they evolved from H. erectus, which left Africa 2 mya
5. That gives us a date from 6-2 mya for the mutation that produced chromosome 22.
6. That chromosome 22 appeared doesn't mean it also didn't mutate and evolve. It did. The telomeres have mutations on them
7. That chromosome 22 appeared doesn't mean hominin evolution stopped. It is, in fact, unconnected to other hominin evolution and could not stop evolution under any circumstances in all possible worlds.(I added "all possible worlds" just for fun)
<quoted text>
hahahahahahaha!!!
Oh, god, you are awesome.
So...you are claiming that Adam was an Australopithecus? Or a Homo habilis? Or a H. erectus? Those are your choices. Not human. From an extinct species that could not think like us.
Why don't you choose a better Adam? Why don't you choose an Adam who coincides with what has been called "The Great Leap Forward"?
That's basically when humans got souls anyways (if I can be poetic here).
Eagle - I had plans, you know, to steal money from you believers. I was thinking about coordinating a lot of evidence together, fudging a bit and cherry picking, with a lot of very loose interpretation that would never be acceptable in academia, to write that Adam and Eve were kicked out of the Garden of Eden around 40 000 years ago. That's sort of when humans developed wonderful art, kill all the nephilim, I mean, neanderthal, and then move to all parts of the earth.
I could make it fit with Genesis - no problem. It would just be extremely dishonest. But I'd be rich :)
I thank you, as always for you in depth explanation. I thought we were talking about chromosome #2. Anyway, I canít believe this macroevolution because it requires way more faith than I can muster up.

Setting aside my religious belief in the Genesis account. I find it difficult to believe there were no 1st in life. For example the very first oak tree, fig tree, bird, fish, jellyfish. The first chimp, giraffe, and the very first human.

All numbers no matter how great or small are synonymous with the number one. This must be true in biology and in mathematics. Without the first there can be no seconds, thirds, or fourths. This is one reason I think evolution is full of sh**. No disrespect intended.

To you it is science, to me itís fantasy science because it lacks very basic common sense. Hiding, there had to be a first. The only exception would be the creation of the cosmos. Iím not sure if all those stars, suns, were made at once or one at a time.

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2012

Judged:

NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not sure what you mean here. Microbiology is the study of microscopic organisms. It has nothing to do with any distinction between 'micro-evolution' and 'macro-evolution.'
Thank you but there is a association with microevolution and microbiology.

Wiki:

Typically, observable instances of evolution are examples of microevolution; for example, bacterial strains that have antibiotic resistance.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2012

Judged:

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>I thank you, as always for you in depth explanation. I thought we were talking about chromosome #2. Anyway, I can’t believe this macroevolution because it requires way more faith than I can muster up.

Setting aside my religious belief in the Genesis account. I find it difficult to believe there were no 1st in life. For example the very first oak tree, fig tree, bird, fish, jellyfish. The first chimp, giraffe, and the very first human.

All numbers no matter how great or small are synonymous with the number one. This must be true in biology and in mathematics. Without the first there can be no seconds, thirds, or fourths. This is one reason I think evolution is full of sh**. No disrespect intended.

To you it is science, to me it’s fantasy science because it lacks very basic common sense. Hiding, there had to be a first. The only exception would be the creation of the cosmos. I’m not sure if all those stars, suns, were made at once or one at a time.
Setting aside your religious belief...

That's funny.

Good one.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2012

Judged:

timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>No, there is not. There is debate as to how exactly it happened, but there is no debate that it happened. Do you understand the distinction? The *theory* of evolution explains the *fact* of evolution.

And WTF is an evolutionist? Are they like gravityers?
No silly.

It "gravityist".

Don't you know anything?

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2012

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>In time of need I have seen atheist say "Oh, God, please don't let this happen."

It's their ignorant version of prayer.
I often say, "My god, how can you be this dense."

So what?

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2012

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>Why are they up my alley?
I really have to explain that to you?

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2012

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>You're disgusting.
Truth hurts, eh?

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2012

Judged:

Adam wrote:
Some thoughts on why Christians try to justify the existence of the mythical Adam & Eve. I wasted a lot of time on this stuff when I was a deluded Christian.
The theology of Christianity is based largely on the writings of Paul. Paul writes in his letters that Jesus is the second Adam. The first Adam is a sinful man and the second Adam the perfect man. The silly story of the talking snake is actually the basis for christianity. They need to accept that we are all sinfull POS because of the actions of Adam and Eve in the garden of eden in eating an apple off a magical tree, because God told them not to.
The fall of man is the foundation for the whole myth. Cause the fall is the reason given for the need for a redeemer i.e. Jesus. Without an Adam and Eve, there is no fall of man, without the fall of man, there is no need for redemption. No Adam, no fall of man, no redeemer.
So catholic and mainstream churches have abandoned the 6 day creation in light of the overwhelming evidence of an old earth, and evidence of evolution. But they still cling to the mythical fall of man. Knowing that without a talking snake and first man, and rib woman, the house of cards falls down. Hence our resident fundies will sometimes accept evolution, but never back down over mythical first man and woman.
All numbers are synonymous with the number one. Without the number one there can not be a number two or three. To believe there is no first in life is a lack of understanding. Yet you refuse to believe there was the first man. IncredibleÖÖ..

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2012

Judged:

timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Let me qualify that. Sometimes I am skeptical of their work, but not of their intentions.
Unfortunately, sometimes you have to be skeptical of their intentions, too.

Some are desperate for fame and glory.

That's why there is extensive peer review.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2012

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>For the timn record, evolution does not upset me. Not in the slightest.

What gets me going is the assumptive nature of evolution. The theories & hypotheses & guesses that go hand oin hand with it. Just like the post from blacklagoon where he says we "know" how the nostril evolved in whales...

I don't think evolution happened the way we think it did. There's just too many pieces of the puzzle that are missing to fully know.
How many pieces have you seen?

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2012

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>Eh?

Are you OK, Chris? Your posts this morning have been eratic.
What's YOUR excuse?

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2012

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>You're such a dufus.

So are the people praying for rain. Prayer doesn't work that way.

I've made this point clear before, you obviously cherry pick what you read.
So what way DOES it work?

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2012

Judged:

Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
That's funny.
Good one.
Was not there a first airplane and the first pilot?

The first automobile?

The first bicycle?

The first red rose?

In your case to bringing it closer to home, the first as*h*le.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2012

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>ANd of course you think that science & religion are enemies, so....
They are, and will remain so as long as people like you, who know nothing of science, keep using your religious claptrap to refute it.

Since: Feb 08

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2012

Judged:

Eagle12 wrote:
I find it difficult to believe there were no 1st in life. For example the very first oak tree, fig tree, bird, fish, jellyfish. The first chimp, giraffe, and the very first human.
All numbers no matter how great or small are synonymous with the number one. This must be true in biology and in mathematics. Without the first there can be no seconds, thirds, or fourths.
Let's test your argument, then.

Who was the first speaker of Modern English? And who did they talk to?

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2012

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2012

Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
I really have to explain that to you?
Yes. The flat earthers? Really?

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2012

Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
How many pieces have you seen?
How many are there?

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2012

Judged:

blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>A whale is a good example of Macro-evolution. Tracing the development of the nostrils through fossil records and skulls, we can follow the gradual movement of the nostril from the front of the nose to the top of the head, the whales blowhole. Consider the vestigial hind legs, the fully formed wrist parts on the Right Whale. The fact that a whales gives birth under the water as a land mammal does. In fact the mother must move under the newborn quickly to bring it to the surface before it drowns. We also see evidence that the whale was once a land mammal by the way it moves through the water. Fish swim with a side to side mouthing, whales, as well as dolphins and porpoises, move through the water with an up and down flexing of the spine as you would see in a running land mammal.
Thatís one whale of a tale.

Iím sorry Doctor, I simply can not believe in tall tales of whales. Like I said, I just donít have the faith that you do to believe in such grand imaginations on the scale of a childrenís fantasy.

Theyíre mammals no doubt but many land creatures arenít mammals. So both land and sea contain mammals and non mammals. What it comes down to Doctor you have a greater faith.

On a more personal note Doctor, were you parents believers of Christ. Please take a minute and tell me about your Mom and Dad.

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2012

Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
That's funny.
Good one.
Since your claim to fame is being a pilot.

Who was the first person to die in an airplane in world history?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 6 min Oxbow 538,616
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 14 min Clearwater 173,259
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 17 min WasteWater 257,770
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 19 min Buck Crick 732,535
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 29 min WasteWater 94,611
Play "end of the word" (Jan '11) 34 min WasteWater 4,312
Hot gays in Abu Dhabi (Nov '13) 54 min Falcon 722
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 3 hr Epiphany2 599,750
•••
Enter and win $5000

Top Stories People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••