Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#137796 Nov 14, 2012
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>In 2009 there were 135,000 articles published in peer review and scientific journal supporting evolution. Guess how many were published refuting the FACTs of evolution......yep, ZERO, why is that do you suppose? If the TOE is so chalked full of speculation rather than hard cold facts, why has no one published anything pointing out these alleged flaws? Maybe you could publish something. Is there any reason why you couldn't have something published in a reputable scientific journal? If you feel so strong about how wrong the TOE is, and seem to know without doubt, then do the world a favor and publish something so we can all know how flawed the Theory is. Of course you just might have to demonstrate some knowledge on the subject, maybe make the publisher aware of your credentials as an expert on the subject. I'll be waiting for your article, I can't wait to hear how 135,000 experts on the subject are totally wrong, and you are right. Good Luck.
Microevolution, Iím completely sold on Doctor. So all those articles on microbiology I have no problem believing. I would venture to say out of that 135,000 articles, most were probably about microbiology.

How many scientist are working directly on macro evolution? I would estimate that number to be very small compared to microevolution.

When I talk about speculation Doctor Iím always referring to macroevolution. This discussion about chromosome #2 is very interesting. When the chromosome fused that was the first mankind. With all 46 chromosomes just like we have today.

What I take from the chromosome #2 discussion is mankind came on the scene suddenly and not gradually as traditionally thought. This means there was a first man. That man Doctor was Adam.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#137797 Nov 14, 2012
NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>
But he wasn't an established scientist, he was a computer specialist. Leading a team in IT is hardly indicative of a rise to the top. those 15 years were actually part of the problem. The Casini mission is beginning to wind down, resulting in downsizing. Only those who had kept their skills sharp would be attractive to the managers of other projects. Not having done so, Coppedge was at risk for layoff anyway. The same goes for his apparent inability to work smoothly with others as part of a team.
You make a good point. With the mission winding down. And potential lay offs forthcoming. This may have spawned some to go into survival mode.

Was he really that hard to get along with or was he working with some Soap Opera Drama Queens out to get him so they could jockey into a safer position?

Anyway heís fired and life goes on.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#137798 Nov 14, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Funny, you admit here that you don't know all the facts, yet you continually state things about the case as if they are facts. More importantly, you assert his story is fact and not just a grudge for being fired, slackers make all sorts of excuses when we fire them, it's not uncommon.
No problem with this part of your statement,{slackers make all sorts of excuses when we fire them, it's not uncommon}.

Sometimes people are caught up in work politics and the wrong people are let go.

Wrongful terminations do happen. Iím not saying that is the case here.

Since: Mar 11

Chicago, IL

#137799 Nov 14, 2012
Wow you just keep getting dumber. I mean you actually posted this. Seriously of your own accord.

Wow.

So God went from fusing chromosomes to magical fruit and talking snakes 6000 years ago.

Wow holy effing sht wow.

I bet you also believe T-Rex had those big sharp teeth to cut it's way through the jungles to get to better grazing fields as well.

Lmfao! Keep dancing for our amusement puppet!
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
The fusion of chromosome #2 in one is exciting.
This means that a human kind appeared suddenly with 46 chromosomes.
It also means the chromosomes have been unchanged since #2 first fused.
All this discussion proves man didnít evolve as claimed. A slow gradual change over 6 million years is not possible if chromosome #2 fused in one event.
This means there had to have been a first. A first man with the 46 chromosomes with #2 fused. That first man was Adam.

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

#137800 Nov 15, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
And would preaching to your coworkers about the awesomeness of evolution vs. the stupidness if religion be an equal indicator of objective thinking?
The basic social agreement of freedom of speech has a flip side, which is the right to not listen. Turning one's coworkers into a captive audience breaks that agreement. Most jobs require workers to stay in one place--walking away from a coworker's preaching is simply not an option, which is why that preaching is simply not is inappropriate and grounds for discipline and, ultimately, dismissal.
Thinking

Dalry, UK

#137801 Nov 15, 2012
Wrong, nobgobbler.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/elmo_ac...

Aa usual.
_BobLoblah_ wrote:
15Nov12.....
.....And 'Elmo', your very dear Elmo of Sesame Street fame for 2 generations is now in the flap of infamy because 'his puppppettteeeer' has been accused of sexually abusing children since being on the children's TV series over the years.
Ps: By da vey, the puppeteer is a self-professed atheist'
Nothing is sacred anymore and it is ascribed to hateful, hypocritical, hAtheists like you lot.
Stand'em up against da wall and shoot this eeejit with a ball of its own schidt.
Forever and Ever
BobLoblah

Since: Mar 11

Chicago, IL

#137802 Nov 15, 2012
Omfg you didn't catch that! Pfffffffttttttt bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahah a!

Wow you and eagle just keep getting dumber this is priceless! You idiots are like the stupid kid who keeps trying to argue with the smart kids in class and are to stupid to realize how bad you are failing and how everyone is giggling at you!

Oh keep it up Forrest Gump! Keep dancing red faced for our amusement!

Hahahaha!

Psssst Catholics are Christians!
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
No, you f_cking brick. I said Christianity..........

“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#137803 Nov 15, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
The fusion of chromosome #2 in one is exciting.
This means that a human kind appeared suddenly with 46 chromosomes.
No, it doesn't. Why do you think it does?
It also means the chromosomes have been unchanged since #2 first fused.
No, it doesn't. Why do you think it does?
All this discussion proves man didnít evolve as claimed. A slow gradual change over 6 million years is not possible if chromosome #2 fused in one event.
You were wrong on the first two postulations. I'm sorry, you're also not correct here.

And, if you read what I wrote, you'd realize I did not give you a firm date of 6 million years.

It must be my fault. I'm a terrible teacher. I'll try again. It goes like this:

1. Chimps and hominin split at roughly 6 mya
2. Chimps still have the 2 chromosomes split
3. Devonian hominin show the human pattern
4. Devonian hominin evolved roughly 400 kya but it's likely they evolved from H. erectus, which left Africa 2 mya
5. That gives us a date from 6-2 mya for the mutation that produced chromosome 22.
6. That chromosome 22 appeared doesn't mean it also didn't mutate and evolve. It did. The telomeres have mutations on them
7. That chromosome 22 appeared doesn't mean hominin evolution stopped. It is, in fact, unconnected to other hominin evolution and could not stop evolution under any circumstances in all possible worlds.(I added "all possible worlds" just for fun)
This means there had to have been a first. A first man with the 46 chromosomes with #2 fused. That first man was Adam.
hahahahahahaha!!!

Oh, god, you are awesome.

So...you are claiming that Adam was an Australopithecus? Or a Homo habilis? Or a H. erectus? Those are your choices. Not human. From an extinct species that could not think like us.

Why don't you choose a better Adam? Why don't you choose an Adam who coincides with what has been called "The Great Leap Forward"?

That's basically when humans got souls anyways (if I can be poetic here).

Eagle - I had plans, you know, to steal money from you believers. I was thinking about coordinating a lot of evidence together, fudging a bit and cherry picking, with a lot of very loose interpretation that would never be acceptable in academia, to write that Adam and Eve were kicked out of the Garden of Eden around 40 000 years ago. That's sort of when humans developed wonderful art, kill all the nephilim, I mean, neanderthal, and then move to all parts of the earth.

I could make it fit with Genesis - no problem. It would just be extremely dishonest. But I'd be rich :)

“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#137804 Nov 15, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
Wow you just keep getting dumber. I mean you actually posted this. Seriously of your own accord.
Wow.
So God went from fusing chromosomes to magical fruit and talking snakes 6000 years ago.
Wow holy effing sht wow.
I bet you also believe T-Rex had those big sharp teeth to cut it's way through the jungles to get to better grazing fields as well.
Lmfao! Keep dancing for our amusement puppet!
<quoted text>
No! It's all true! Just buy my book, ok?

“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#137805 Nov 15, 2012
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>Who knows what Ar Ar meant? He rarely knows or understands what it is he believes, except to say that he believes what he believes, and what he believes, he believes is right.
When he argued he wasn't a Protestant over on PTAG:
RiversideRedneck wrote: " If anything, I'm Pentecostal, or maybe even Evangelical, but not Protestant."
When he mentioned "ancient religion", there is no telling what he had in mind. It could have been Judaism, older Canaanite beliefs, or as you said, ancient Sumerian practices.
In retrospect I think he meant Christianity, it's just that his writing and terminology is so vague and misinformed he makes these claims or statements and when someone responds - to what he actually said, not what he thought he said - he gets upset.
No, he didn't! Did he??? No! Oh, say it is not so!!!

hahahahaha, sorry RR, but that's pretty funny.

"I'm a Pentecostal but not a Protestant." hahaha, that's great!

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

#137806 Nov 15, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Microevolution, Iím completely sold on Doctor. So all those articles on microbiology I have no problem believing. I would venture to say out of that 135,000 articles, most were probably about microbiology.
How many scientist are working directly on macro evolution? I would estimate that number to be very small compared to microevolution.
When I talk about speculation Doctor Iím always referring to macroevolution. This discussion about chromosome #2 is very interesting. When the chromosome fused that was the first mankind. With all 46 chromosomes just like we have today.
What I take from the chromosome #2 discussion is mankind came on the scene suddenly and not gradually as traditionally thought. This means there was a first man. That man Doctor was Adam.
I'm not sure what you mean here. Microbiology is the study of microscopic organisms. It has nothing to do with any distinction between 'micro-evolution' and 'macro-evolution.'

Since: Mar 11

Chicago, IL

#137807 Nov 15, 2012
Save a hug for me buddy and I'll buy two ;)

Can't wait to read it!
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
No! It's all true! Just buy my book, ok?
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#137808 Nov 15, 2012
Some thoughts on why Christians try to justify the existence of the mythical Adam & Eve. I wasted a lot of time on this stuff when I was a deluded Christian.

The theology of Christianity is based largely on the writings of Paul. Paul writes in his letters that Jesus is the second Adam. The first Adam is a sinful man and the second Adam the perfect man. The silly story of the talking snake is actually the basis for christianity. They need to accept that we are all sinfull POS because of the actions of Adam and Eve in the garden of eden in eating an apple off a magical tree, because God told them not to.

The fall of man is the foundation for the whole myth. Cause the fall is the reason given for the need for a redeemer i.e. Jesus. Without an Adam and Eve, there is no fall of man, without the fall of man, there is no need for redemption. No Adam, no fall of man, no redeemer.

So catholic and mainstream churches have abandoned the 6 day creation in light of the overwhelming evidence of an old earth, and evidence of evolution. But they still cling to the mythical fall of man. Knowing that without a talking snake and first man, and rib woman, the house of cards falls down. Hence our resident fundies will sometimes accept evolution, but never back down over mythical first man and woman.

“Thank you GOD for JESUS”

Since: Jul 07

And thank you JESUS for caring

#137809 Nov 15, 2012
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Another, highly qualified, genius! Thank god we have these highly educated, god fearing, people to keep us straight! Otherwise, we might fall for the bs that scientists are pushing.
***Matthew 103:0 But the very hairs of your head are all numbered.

31 Fear ye not therefore, ye are of more value than many sparrows***

***Forensic investigators look for two different types of DNA in a strand of hair. Traditionally they look for nuclear DNA (nDNA) which comes from the nucleolus and you can get that if the strand of hair as the follicle intact and not too damaged. This is primary, but you can still get DNA from the hair shaft itself without the use of the follicle. This is Mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA), and though this type of DNA has less information than nuclear DNA, it is very stable and that's great for investigators or scientists because you can even extract that type of DNA from mummies that are many thousands of years old. So if you're wondering if you can be caught by the police if all they have is a piece of hair with no follicle, yes you can! The downside of using mtDNA versus nDNA is mitochondrial DNA is passed on from the mother, so if you pluck 3 pieces of hair, one from the mother, one from the brother, and the other from the sister, they will ALL be identical. So in this case it is no good at determining who is who. But if it's a random murder site where the suspect is being matched with a hair shaft, they are able to make a positive ID match that hair.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_scientists_g... ***

As a Tarot reader, I look for the cryptic 'image' or that which is seen within. There are many scriptures that I find fascinating and there are many scriptures that I can easily apply to my life. I have no doubts that others on a spiritual pathway will experience their own unique moments. Some things swim with time, and some things don't.

When things don't pan out the way science has promised, they just change their minds and say it is in the best interests of science ~ and many believe it is! Me thinks, for some reason, Black Sheep, you are one who will believe the scientists, forgive them for what they have done with their lies and deceit, and believe the next thing they have to say.

I think I AM already at the point you will end up, purely and simply because you are denying the very point of your own existence. Where I AM having fun in life and laughing, you are busy scoffing, and dragging out old Scriptures to support your scoffing.

If you think I am not making a dent in your faith of no faith, then let me assure you that you are not making a dent in my faith; you are just helping me water it!!

“Thank you GOD for JESUS”

Since: Jul 07

And thank you JESUS for caring

#137810 Nov 15, 2012
Adam wrote:
Some thoughts on why Christians try to justify the existence of the mythical Adam & Eve. I wasted a lot of time on this stuff when I was a deluded Christian.
The theology of Christianity is based largely on the writings of Paul. Paul writes in his letters that Jesus is the second Adam. The first Adam is a sinful man and the second Adam the perfect man. The silly story of the talking snake is actually the basis for christianity. They need to accept that we are all sinfull POS because of the actions of Adam and Eve in the garden of eden in eating an apple off a magical tree, because God told them not to.
The fall of man is the foundation for the whole myth. Cause the fall is the reason given for the need for a redeemer i.e. Jesus. Without an Adam and Eve, there is no fall of man, without the fall of man, there is no need for redemption. No Adam, no fall of man, no redeemer.
So catholic and mainstream churches have abandoned the 6 day creation in light of the overwhelming evidence of an old earth, and evidence of evolution. But they still cling to the mythical fall of man. Knowing that without a talking snake and first man, and rib woman, the house of cards falls down. Hence our resident fundies will sometimes accept evolution, but never back down over mythical first man and woman.
Evolution is adaption ~ extinction is failure to adapt.

“Thank you GOD for JESUS”

Since: Jul 07

And thank you JESUS for caring

#137811 Nov 15, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
Omfg you didn't catch that! Pfffffffttttttt bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahah a!
Wow you and eagle just keep getting dumber this is priceless! You idiots are like the stupid kid who keeps trying to argue with the smart kids in class and are to stupid to realize how bad you are failing and how everyone is giggling at you!
Oh keep it up Forrest Gump! Keep dancing red faced for our amusement!
Hahahaha!
Psssst Catholics are Christians!
<quoted text>
Psssstttt ~ Christians are Christians; it is not a matter of whether one calls themselves Catholic, Lutheran, Church of England, Presbyterian, Mormon; it is the acts of the individual that is what counts, not the name. We are known for our works; and the scriptures themselves tell us that there will be many who sit in their riches at the front of the Church, there will be those that continually Pray many times a day; but it is our ACTS that count.

Psst ~ a Christian is in behavior and intentions that are Christ Like....

Since: Mar 11

Chicago, IL

#137812 Nov 15, 2012
Wow RR even Serah knows this! Time to get an MRI of your head if you know what I mean man.

:)
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>Psssstttt ~ Christians are Christians; it is not a matter of whether one calls themselves Catholic, Lutheran, Church of England, Presbyterian, Mormon; it is the acts of the individual that is what counts, not the name. We are known for our works; and the scriptures themselves tell us that there will be many who sit in their riches at the front of the Church, there will be those that continually Pray many times a day; but it is our ACTS that count.
Psst ~ a Christian is in behavior and intentions that are Christ Like....

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#137813 Nov 15, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Who does that? If someone were to go around at work insulting people's religious beliefs, he/she should be fired too. However, I don't think there would be anything wrong with discussing a scientific theory. People shouldn't be so touchy about it. Does gravity upset you?
It does when I'm at 3,000 feet over water and the engine starts sputtering.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#137814 Nov 15, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
We know Chromosome 2 fused because it has teleomeres in the middle of it. They're only at the ends of chromosomes.
This is what a teleomere is: http://www.nature.com/scitable/topicpage/telo...
It didn't fuse gradually. It fused in one go. After that, it was organized gradually.
How do we know?
"The Evidence
Evidence for fusing of two ancestral chromosomes to create human chromosome 2 and where there has been no fusion in other Great Apes is:
1) The analogous chromosomes (2p and 2q) in the non-human great apes can be shown, when laid end to end, to create an identical banding structure to the human chromosome 2.(1)
2) The remains of the sequence that the chromosome has on its ends (the telomere) is found in the middle of human chromosome 2 where the ancestral chromosomes fused.(2)
3) the detail of this region (pre-telomeric sequence, telomeric sequence, reversed telomeric sequence, pre-telomeric sequence) is exactly what we would expect from a fusion.(3)
4) this telomeric region is exactly where one would expect to find it if a fusion had occurred in the middle of human chromosome 2.
5) the centromere of human chromosome 2 lines up with the chimp chromosome 2p chromosomal centromere.
6) At the place where we would expect it on the human chromosome we find the remnants of the chimp 2q centromere (4)."
http://www.evolutionpages.com/chromosome_2.ht...
and
"Let us re-iterate what we find on human chromosome 2. Its centromere is at the same place as the chimpanzee chromosome 2p as determined by sequence similarity. Even more telling is the fact that on the 2q arm of the human chromosome 2 is the unmistakable remains of the original chromosome centromere of the common ancestor of human and chimp 2q chromosome, at the same position as the chimp 2q centromere (this structure in humans no longer acts as a centromere for chromosome 2."
(same link above)
Could that fusing be the result of gene splicing, or did someone stand too close to the microwave?

How was the bond made? Not the technique, but the molecular linkage? Anything removed to bond them? Which chemicals bonded at the ends?

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#137815 Nov 15, 2012

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 1 min StarC 554,321
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 6 min Freebird USA 174,908
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 7 min Dr_Zorderz 263,181
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 11 min Mandela 119,148
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 14 min bacon hater 762,666
Why do Turkish men cheat (Aug '10) 26 min turkey_78 484
*POPE, ISRAEL -- 7 Year Agreement (News) 44 min YtubeGlobalReport 1
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 52 min New Age Spiritual... 603,425

Top Stories People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE