Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
132,121 - 132,140 of 224,019 Comments Last updated 34 min ago

“Go ahead.”

Since: Mar 11

Make my day.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Abso-friggin-lutely!! Very well said.
I will go on to add that even though God seems supernatural, He's a very natural being. After all, He designed nature...
Nah. It was Osiris.

“Go ahead.”

Make my day.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, DNA was non-existent in their minds but it wasn't non-existent. It was invisible to their eyes but it was never invisible.
I think as we progress in the next few hundred years, God will become more & more less "invisible" and "non-existent".
True about DNA, opposite of what has been going on with God.

First, we lived in an Earth centered universe, with the sun orbiting us,'cause "God" designed the universe around us. Next we get a heliocentric universe,'cause the Earth centered model was silly. Finally we acknowledge nothing of the sort. Then we lost our status as specially Created, having evolved just like any other animal. The Bible turns out to not be literally true; Genesis is so incorrect as to be ridiculous. The Flood is a crazy fair tale. Then our psyche is deconstructed; it turns out our minds rest solely in our brains and that dualism cannot be supported by the evidence we have.

Kicking and screaming, the church altered their positions. One by one, Christianity's monopoly over describing the universe around us falls apart. It now no longer contributes, is utterly voiceless, in the production of new knowledge and technology about the world. Science has forever wrested that from religion.

We're not describing a Created world. We've thrown open the curtains on that, cast light on the illusion, shredded it, my dear Riverside. History shows that your God is running out of room, losing His safety net as our primitive ignorance is replaced with evidence based knowledge.

Your God, like all those before Him, is a fiction, a fantasy. He doesn't exist and with growing education "poof!" bye-bye bronze age beliefs. We consign you to history, God.

“MEET ROSEMARY-She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

Judged:

NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>Tells give other gamblers an extra edge. Little quirks in writing styles do the same.
.. reading between the lines is half the Topix fun, and, if you're a writer, outlandish or oddball character development is simplified ..

“Go ahead.”

Make my day.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

Judged:

Thanks. Now you see your mistake?
Dave Nelson wrote:
The Microwave
http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/TUGI0DV...
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You are le
Hey, I discovered something you'll find interesting: my download speed was negatively impacted by my microwave oven. I tested it repeatedly. My wireless signal was interfered with when the microwave was on. So, one EM field is interfering with the other.
See? I knew you'd like that.
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey, I discovered something you'll find interesting: my download speed was negatively impacted by my microwave oven. I tested it repeatedly. My wireless signal was interfered with when the microwave was on. So, one EM field is interfering with the other.
See? I knew you'd like that.
You ought to see what they have done to your brain.
Your epigenomes are in serious straits.
Get a tin foil hat, but make sure you have a grounded wire connected to it. You get a resonant cavity without it, which makes it even worse.
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
EM doesn't do anything to epigenetics.
Have someone put you in a microwave and turn it on. You will find you are wrong.
Same goes for any high intensity high frequency EM emissions such as radar beams.
If it can cook your flesh, it will rearrange your molecules. Such as those involved in epigenomes.
There should be quite a body of info on that on the net.
You do not know what EM is or does. Quit pretending.
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>That was rich. "It affects your epigenome by cooking it." LOL
Glad you liked it.
Why do you cook your food? Besides just to kill organisms.
Elements have a melting point. Compounds made of elements(what else?) also have different melting points. Depending on the compound and heat sinking of its molecules, the heat transfer rate affects the elements on the atomic scale. You can easily break chains of molecules and rearrange the molecular construction.
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Right, Dave. Sure. You can cook DNA, no problem. Standing near an electric field, like the one given off by my computer or my microwave, is not going to do anything to my methyl binding sites.
Who said anything about standing beside those items. Besides you?
That wasn't what I posted.
You are dishonest. Do you do the same with your research?
imn17 wrote:
<quoted text>But it *can* affect your epigenome! Dave already explained it.
By saying we can cook it. And then claiming I lied about that. Yes, yes he did.
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
That was a completely different thing. I said have someone put you in a microwave, and referred to radar beams.
You go to such lengths to twist things to imagine you are winning an argument on a stupid forum. You would surely do the same to win fame and glory with a research paper. I am sure you are marked by others to undergo a very stringent peer review. They should, anyhow.
No, Dave, you said that microwaves could affect my epigenome by cooking it ONLY AFTER I pointed out that standing near a microwave would do nothing. You immediately moved the goal posts because you're a small man and you need to not be wrong about anything.
I'm not trying to "win" against your stupid inability to remember what you wrote, or the insane gibberish that you write. No one can "win" an argument with someone who is not rational and does not respect logical thinking like you.
I'm correcting your dishonest labeling of me as a liar.
You are dishonest.

“Go ahead.”

Make my day.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't. I deny the opinionated "facts" regarding what we call ToE.
The theory concerning the evolution of man is under increased scrutiny due to the persistence of gaps in the fossil record,
This has been addressed, both in theory and in evidence. In theory, it has been addressed as evolution working faster than Darwin had thought - and that's been demonstrated, since.

In practice, if we research one species in great depth, we can fill in the fossil record - like with humans, and show rapid gradual evolution. The hominin fossil record from H. erectus to now is so full of transition fossils, the argument is how to classify them all.
the inability to demonstrate "life-or-death" determining advantageous genetic mutations,
That's being done in ongoing work on populations of various species. Notably are macaques, bacteria, nematodes and fruit flies.

It's also study-able in humans.
and the lack of experiments or observations to truly confirm the evidence for speciation.
We have observations aplenty and experiments have produced speciation in the lab.
Overall, the evolution of man pervades as the accepted paradigm on the origin of man within the scientific community. This is not because it has been proven scientifically, but because alternative viewpoints bring with them metaphysical implications which go against the modern naturalistic paradigm.
Utterly false. Human evolution is scientific fact. 100% proven in lay terminology.
Nevertheless, a closer examination of the evidence reveals evolution to be increasingly less scientific and more reliant upon beliefs, not proof.
Nope. If that were true, you could post scientific papers that argue such. But all you have is your lay opinion here - and it's not an informed one.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you not using confirmation bias when you say that Hod isn't real & prayer does nothing?
Yes, you are.
Nope.

First, I don't say "god isn't real," what I have actually said, and what I continue to say, is that there is no demonstrably reliable evidence to support the notion of any form of creator, thus it is nothing more than fanciful dreams, however, purporting that something is real based on zero evidence is the very definition of delusional. As to prayer, all data on prayer demonstrates it to be as reliable as chance alone. In other words, people are better off rolling the dice than praying. No supportive evidence justifies a lack of belief, no demonstrable evidence demands that one does not believe.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Can you see it without a microscope?

Dave's brain? Or the other one? heheheh

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>As far as I know "all the fuss" has been blown out of proportion a little bit. Either way, you're being kind of ridiculous. It was clear from the context of the conversation that she meant microwaves don't affect your epigenome during regular use; obviously your epigenome is affected if you cook it. It would be like if I claimed that being around aluminum can affect your epigenome because you might get run over by an aluminum car.
Where do cancers start? One cell?

What causes it? Carcinogens?

What are those? Chemicals.

How do chemicals work? Via EM.

One cell gets zapped, when there are many, many that come into contact with those chemicals. Something broke the normal bonds of the DNA or epigenome and something else resulted. You can think of it as a fuse in the molecular linkage being blown transferring the EM energy caused by the chemical action. Perhaps a weaker link in the molecules, less dense than needed, or that point became a convergence location for the energy being transferred among those molecules. It can also happen at the correct frequency of EM emissions. EM induction creates current flow. The resistance to that causes resistance and voltage.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

Judged:

Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
True about DNA, opposite of what has been going on with God.
First, we lived in an Earth centered universe, with the sun orbiting us,'cause "God" designed the universe around us. Next we get a heliocentric universe,'cause the Earth centered model was silly. Finally we acknowledge nothing of the sort. Then we lost our status as specially Created, having evolved just like any other animal. The Bible turns out to not be literally true; Genesis is so incorrect as to be ridiculous. The Flood is a crazy fair tale. Then our psyche is deconstructed; it turns out our minds rest solely in our brains and that dualism cannot be supported by the evidence we have.
Kicking and screaming, the church altered their positions. One by one, Christianity's monopoly over describing the universe around us falls apart. It now no longer contributes, is utterly voiceless, in the production of new knowledge and technology about the world. Science has forever wrested that from religion.
We're not describing a Created world. We've thrown open the curtains on that, cast light on the illusion, shredded it, my dear Riverside. History shows that your God is running out of room, losing His safety net as our primitive ignorance is replaced with evidence based knowledge.
Your God, like all those before Him, is a fiction, a fantasy. He doesn't exist and with growing education "poof!" bye-bye bronze age beliefs. We consign you to history, God.
Knowledge of the gaps replaces the god(S) of the gaps.

PRAISE PANGU!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

Judged:

Hidingfromyou wrote:
Thanks. Now you see your mistake?
<quoted text>
No. I see yours.

You said EM doesn't affect epigenomes.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Where do cancers start? One cell?
What causes it? Carcinogens?
What are those? Chemicals.
How do chemicals work? Via EM.
One cell gets zapped, when there are many, many that come into contact with those chemicals. Something broke the normal bonds of the DNA or epigenome and something else resulted. You can think of it as a fuse in the molecular linkage being blown transferring the EM energy caused by the chemical action. Perhaps a weaker link in the molecules, less dense than needed, or that point became a convergence location for the energy being transferred among those molecules. It can also happen at the correct frequency of EM emissions. EM induction creates current flow. The resistance to that causes resistance and voltage.
Ok. Just said it was blown out of proportion a little bit, not false.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

Judged:

Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Dave's brain? Or the other one? heheheh
Both of them, well now it's all three of them.

“Go ahead.”

Make my day.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

Judged:

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
No. I see yours.
You said EM doesn't affect epigenomes.
Yes, Dave, I did. It was right after I told you my story of having my microwave affect my wifi. Then you claimed that situation would affect my epigenome. I laughed at that suggestion. Then you got huffy and wrote that if I was in a microwave, my epigenome would be cooked. That's you moving the goal posts because you can't admit that you were wrong.

Me: my microwave interfered with my wifi
Dave: be careful, it could damage your epigenome. Wear tinfoil hats but be careful not to wear them in such a manner that they multiply the effect.
Me: hahahaha!
Dave: oh, yeah??? Try stepping inside a microwave and see how long you laugh!

You are seriously experiencing the "second childhood" hey?

“Go ahead.”

Make my day.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Ok. Just said it was blown out of proportion a little bit, not false.
In Dave's explanation to you above, he's missing information. Instead of "carcinogens" he should have written "mutagens" since that would include radioactive sources of somatic cell mutation, chemicals, and faulty DNA repair events (the most prevalent cause of cancer).

Carcinogens are simply one class of mutagens, not the whole picture.

But if you wear a tinfoil hat, you might be able to avoid them.
Joe Fortuna

Eureka, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Prayer is like pumping pure high octane gasoline into a car. It’s going to give you the power to get somewhere.
Doubt and unbelief is like a car with no engine. The only place it’s going is to the wrecking yard.
By your comments we know where your headed.
Do you think it makes a difference which brand of high octane gasoline you put in your tank, in other words which of the many gods people pray to, will be the one more likely to get you somewhere.
Joe Fortuna

Eureka, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

Atheist Silurist wrote:
<quoted text>
If prayer was an efficient life saver we wouldn't need children's hospitals,anywhere.
Vaccination against deadly pathogens has saved more children's lives over the past 60 years than any amount of prayers said over thousands of years. prayer doesn't work,not in saving children's lives.
My Grandfather prayed for a vacine for smallpox, we now have one.

:O):O)

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

Judged:

"EM doesn't do anything to epigenetics."

"If it can cook your flesh, it will rearrange your molecules. Such as those involved in epigenomes."

You have slow cooking and you have fast cooking.

Infrared cooks as much as wood burning.

Cooking is transferring more energy than a substance can pass. Cooking changes molecules. Once cooking starts, you can not uncook what got cooked.

Epigenomes are molecules.

There is potential, a very good one at that, of EM affecting epigenomes.

You understood that, but like I said, your wanting to win stupid arguments that you lost, causes you to resort to dishonest means to deflect your loss.

Either that or you don't understand simple physics and its relation to this material world. A hint. Physics affects EVERYTHING in this material word, including your thinking.

You will come right back with more bullshit. Your ego won't allow anything else.

That or drugs cooked your brain in the past.
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, Dave, I did. It was right after I told you my story of having my microwave affect my wifi. Then you claimed that situation would affect my epigenome. I laughed at that suggestion. Then you got huffy and wrote that if I was in a microwave, my epigenome would be cooked. That's you moving the goal posts because you can't admit that you were wrong.
Me: my microwave interfered with my wifi
Dave: be careful, it could damage your epigenome. Wear tinfoil hats but be careful not to wear them in such a manner that they multiply the effect.
Me: hahahaha!
Dave: oh, yeah??? Try stepping inside a microwave and see how long you laugh!
You are seriously experiencing the "second childhood" hey?
"Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
EM doesn't do anything to epigenetics.

Have someone put you in a microwave and turn it on. You will find you are wrong.

Same goes for any high intensity high frequency EM emissions such as radar beams.

If it can cook your flesh, it will rearrange your molecules. Such as those involved in epigenomes.

There should be quite a body of info on that on the net.

You do not know what EM is or does. Quit pretending. "
Joe Fortuna

Eureka, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Every US President from the first to President Obama believes in God.
The bible never dates the earth as 6000 years old. And the 6 days of creation are not based on mans 24hr day. The 6 days of creation are the 6 steps or stages of creation. At the time Genesis was written. There was no explanation for “Millions.” It was written so people of every age could understand.
Those six days were on Gods scale and not mans. There’re varying scales in measurement. We know the Earth and all of creation is much older than 6000 years. The New Testament even makes a reference to the time difference between man and God.
2 Peter 3:8
Amplified Bible (AMP)
{Nevertheless, do not let this one fact escape you, beloved, that with the Lord one day is as a thousand years and a thousand years as one day}.
Note the writer is writing metaphorically in 2 PETER 3:8.
It doesn’t mean literally a thousand years as one day. The writer is speaking figuratively.
Most already know the bible usually doesn't mean what it says.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
“If your religion taught…..”
This hypothetical equation is not congruent to what the Bible teaches. And my religion does not teach racial segregation.
Nothing you have said releases you from your intolerance for religion. That Sir is bigotry, and you are awkwardly trying to realign bigotry to include people of faith. However the official definition of the word,“bigot” does not align with your skewed definition.
Bigotry is an ugly word. But the practice of bigotry is even more repulsive. I can’t stop your bigotry. Only you have control over this. And you’re not reprieved by trying to push the bigotry label off on someone else.
Very poor dodge.

And by the way, I have nothing against religion. I don't know where you got that idea.
rider

Marquette, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

Judged:

Mark Gongloff, who writes about the financial markets for Huffington Post, caught this whiny exchange between poor oppressed Jamie Dimon and hard-hitting, ass-kissing talking head Maria Bartiromo on CNBC. It's even more bewildering when you think how frequently the Obama administration has bent over for the bankers, but for some people, nothing is enough:

Dimon on Friday afternoon did his whining on CNBC, which has become a sort of Dr. Phil for aggrieved CEOs in the wake of the national catastrophe that is Obama's reelection, according to CNBC. Dimon played some slow-pitch softball with America's greatest journalist, Maria Bartiromo, who threw several fat pitches down the pike.

But the juiciest of all was when she asked him, for journalism, why Obama has such an "antagonistic relationship with business" and when we can expect our civilization to collapse because of it. I'm paraphrasing, but that was the gist of it.

Dimon had, up to that point, been on his very best behavior in the interview, shrugging off her questions about bank regulations by saying JPMorgan would be just fine with any regulations, what are you gonna do, it is what it is.

But when he saw this one juicy pitch from Bartiromo, he could not resist. He reached deep into his temperature-controlled whine cellar and broke out one of his classic whines: A lovely bottle of "Nice Economy, Shame If Something Should Happen To It." In the spirit of post-election bipartisanship, he watered it down a little bit, but it was still classic Dimon.

"This is the greatest economic engine ever built," Dimon began, speaking of America, poor put-upon America, saddled with a president like Obama. "It's growing slowly, waiting to be ignited.

"I have tremendous respect for President Obama," he continued, in the manner of mob bosses throughout the tri-state area, who begin every disrespectful statement by saying "All due respect."

"I just think that business and government collaboration has a much better chance of igniting that engine than this antagonist behavior," he finished.The subtext, as always: Nice economy you've got there, shame if something should happen to it.

As always, it is hard to know exactly what sort of "antagonist behavior" Dimon and Bartiromo are whining about. True, there was that one time Obama referred to "fat cat" bankers, which still keeps bankers up at night sobbing tears into their pillows full of money.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

415 Users are viewing the Top Stories Forum right now

Search the Top Stories Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 2 min marge 532,432
Last Word + 2 7 min andet1987 20
Which one sounds the nastiest of all ? 10 min andet1987 0
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 12 min headlinesYTube 599,046
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 15 min Joyful8118 720,203
______*ANTICHRIST on world stage______ 15 min headlinesYTube 1
*ISRAEL-Gaza "will NOT erupt" in All-OUT WAR 44 min Cisco Kid 2
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 1 hr Le_le 172,263
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 3 hr Dr_Zorderz 256,380
Game of Thrones Ebook Download Free [PDF] (Feb '13) 7 hr John 53
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000