Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Comments (Page 6,602)

Showing posts 132,021 - 132,040 of223,214
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, that's what I meant when I wrote, "But we still notice, and it is still annoying. It's hard not to say so every great once in a while." One of the reasons that I rarely mention mistakes, though, is that they often offer insight into the way a writer thinks--or fails to. Our mistakes are part of our subtext, and unintentional ones at that. They are like gambling tells or the kind of micro-expressions that reveal the emotions behind the spoken word. Tells give other gamblers an extra edge. Little quirks in writing styles do the same.
Yeah, I know you weren't attacking me, I just wanted to point out that it's not at all something that I do all the time. Your observation about mistakes being akin to a "tell" is spot on - everyone gives little insights into the way they think through their writing.

“I won, I won, I won!!!”

Since: Mar 11

Who? Me, me, me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes. I think that natural law as we know is probably infantile. We're just beginning to learn about natural law, which a suggests that we still have a lot that is unknown.
Do you think the periodic table is finished?
Do you think humans are all done evolving?
I agree.

No.

No.

It's worth pointing out that, if we first assume there are natural phenomena science has yet to explain and then we run across some of those phenomena, should we pause, with our stunned jaws dropped and think "wow, that's impossible, that's unnatural!" or should we say "we need to rethink our understanding of what is natural"?

“I won, I won, I won!!!”

Who? Me, me, me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>
Just a quick tip on Topix links: if a little time has passed, sometimes so many posts have been deleted that the page number changes. When that happens, you can still get a good link to the post in question by removing the page number from the link so that it looks like this like this:
http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/TUGI0DV...
Thanks! I'll do that from now on.

:)

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm...
"Seeking to assess the effect of third-party prayer on patient outcomes, investigators found no evidence for divine intervention. They did, however, detect a possible proof for the power of negative thinking."
That's from the largest double blind study on prayer to date. No positive effect, slightly increased chance of dying.
It's really funny that there was an increased chance of prayer when the subjects knew they were being prayed for. It's fun to pretend you are a believer and then try to rationalize that fact.

“I won, I won, I won!!!”

Who? Me, me, me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Well, he's right. Anything supernatural is necessarily something that exists outside of our reality, and therefore does not exist for us.
Well said.

“I won, I won, I won!!!”

Who? Me, me, me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
He's not right and neither are you.
To think like you two do is to say that DNA was "non-existent" before it was discovered...
But that isn't true.
DNA was non-existent in the minds of people back then. Their realities did not have DNA in them at all. The "knew" about other things, like miasma and the inheritance of acquired characteristics.

The thing is, everything about the way they interacted with, experienced and thought about the world around them included non-DNA causal explanations of how life worked. Their lived reality was very different than our own.

“I won, I won, I won!!!”

Who? Me, me, me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't tell me what has and hasn't happened to me, you have no idea what you're talking about.
You were born.

You just breathed!

I think you had some beer...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

Judged:

Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe one of the free thinkers can back me up. But there have been plenty of scientific studies showing prayer does not work. Prayers which seem answered are merely coincidence.
The fact that God fails to feed the hungry or give water to the thirsty, but lets millions starve and go without clean water, is proof that no loving all powerful deity exists.
This was the clincher for me. When I realised prayer is superstition.
But he helped me make that red light the other day!

“I won, I won, I won!!!”

Who? Me, me, me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

Thinking wrote:
Didn't you mean p!ss?
<quoted text>
hahaha! Yes!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>It's really funny that there was an increased chance of prayer when the subjects knew they were being prayed for. It's fun to pretend you are a believer and then try to rationalize that fact.
I've settled on "well, god heard all the prayers for these people, and taking that as proof that they were a good christian with good christian friends, he decided to beam them up to heaven a bit early."

I think that's a good rationalization - any christians here, feel free to use it.

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
But feel free to believe what you want.
Gee thanks.

Or disbelieve, I hope.

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

Thinking wrote:
Didn't you mean p!ss?
<quoted text>
Remember the old jingle, "Schaefer is the one beer to have when you're having more than one."? there's something to that. Weak American lagers may lack any character worth mentioning, but their alcohol content is also lower, so you can drink more of them without getting sloppy drunk. Me, I'd rather have one or maybe two really good beers (or glasses of win) than a six pack of Bud Light, but I have friends who prefer the latter. At the end of the evening, we both drive home safely.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

Judged:

Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, mythology books report all kinds of miracles.
Why don't you care more about the miracles of non-Christians that thousands of people report going on the modern age?
It's because you don't believe them. Like you, I don't believe them. I also don't believe your holy book. Why not?
Well, it goes like this: how do we know the Bible/Koran is the Word of God? It tells us it is! Oh, so why should we believe that? Because it's the Word of God!
Yes, that seems quite stupid to me, too.
I don’t operate in non Christian realms. But I do believe there have been miracles in non Christian environments. I attribute these miracles to the dark side.

Since you had a Christian background. You will remember the story of Moses and Aaron in Pharaoh’s court.

Moses through down his staff and a snake emerged. Pharaoh had his magicians throw down their staffs and two snakes emerged. The same miracle but twice as many.

But in the story referenced. The difference was in the type of snakes that emerged. Moses snake was a King Snake. The type of snake that feast on other snakes. And the King snake consumed Pharaoh’s snakes.

The dark side and followers of the dark side do indeed see miracles of every sort.

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

Judged:

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe:
Jesus Christ is God of all Gods and King of Kings.
That hate solves little and love is the opposite of hate.
Two people, of the same sex, can have friendships and love one another without engaging in perverse sexual behavior.
Because two people of the same sex are living together doesn’t mean they are having perverse sexual relationships with one another.
The bibles principles on homosexuality.
Gay Pride parades need to be replaced with STD prevention promotion and parades.
Freedom of Religion as stated by the Constitution of the United States of American.
I didn't ask you what you believe.

I asked you a simple question: Are you a bigot?

You just ran silly circles around the question.

But in the end, the answer is clear.

You are a bigot.

B-I-G-O-T.

But you're not alone. You're just one more "loving" Christian who wants to discriminate against others, deny them equal rights, because, as you see it, your god is a bigot.

If your god told you miscegenation is a sin, your bigotry would
require your obedience.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

Judged:

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I don’t operate in non Christian realms. But I do believe there have been miracles in non Christian environments. I attribute these miracles to the dark side.
Since you had a Christian background. You will remember the story of Moses and Aaron in Pharaoh’s court.
Moses through down his staff and a snake emerged. Pharaoh had his magicians throw down their staffs and two snakes emerged. The same miracle but twice as many.
But in the story referenced. The difference was in the type of snakes that emerged. Moses snake was a King Snake. The type of snake that feast on other snakes. And the King snake consumed Pharaoh’s snakes.
The dark side and followers of the dark side do indeed see miracles of every sort.
Your mind is a fascinating place.
Thinking

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

I get your reasoning. I'm lucky to have four village pubs within 1.6 miles of my house so I can drink what I want and walk the dog back home if I'm not legal to drive.
NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>
Remember the old jingle, "Schaefer is the one beer to have when you're having more than one."? there's something to that. Weak American lagers may lack any character worth mentioning, but their alcohol content is also lower, so you can drink more of them without getting sloppy drunk. Me, I'd rather have one or maybe two really good beers (or glasses of win) than a six pack of Bud Light, but I have friends who prefer the latter. At the end of the evening, we both drive home safely.

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Because you are unskilled in countering the annotations of those of faith.

At best you may have a average IQ.
Your first "statement" is not a complete sentence.

"...a average" IQ?

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

Thinking wrote:
I get your reasoning. I'm lucky to have four village pubs within 1.6 miles of my house so I can drink what I want and walk the dog back home if I'm not legal to drive.
<quoted text>
I can dig that. I'm thinking of moving into an area like that myself.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

Judged:

Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Gee thanks.
Or disbelieve, I hope.
Can’t you write in complete sentences dude!

Ahhh it gets annoying.

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

Judged:

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no way I could reply on the merits to this sort of nonsense. Eagle is a simpleton; an arrogant simpleton to boot.

This is why, with Eagle, I just point out that his posts are ungrammatical nonsense.

For example, he tells us Moses "through down" his staff. And, "Since you had a Christian background" is not a sentence. Nor is "But in the story referenced."

Inter alia.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 132,021 - 132,040 of223,214
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

380 Users are viewing the Top Stories Forum right now

Search the Top Stories Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 15 min Al Garcia 716,743
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 26 min Hidingfromyou 530,166
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 40 min Aura Mytha 598,774
Being Gay is not wrong! (Mar '07) 47 min andet1987 168
Why America is a beautiful nation 1 hr Doctor REALITY 1
Hijacked jumbo jets in exchange for the sins of... 1 hr Doctor REALITY 1
Tamil vs Kannada. Which one is the oldest langu... (Oct '12) 1 hr maro 457
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 1 hr WildWeirdWillie 171,459
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 2 hr AussieBobby 255,732
Sims 4 Key Generator (Oct '13) 2 hr amy 63
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••