Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
132,001 - 132,020 of 226,159 Comments Last updated 13 min ago

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
No, you're making me sick.
So you think that if science can't prove or detect or test something then it's non-existent.
Got it
You're an idiot.
Well, he's right. Anything supernatural is necessarily something that exists outside of our reality, and therefore does not exist for us.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Quite a bold statement. Just because YOU have never had a prayer answered does NOT suggest that "prayers are never answered", son. I have had prayers answered. Lots if people have.
You think that you have. It's called confirmation bias - a very simple concept. Everyone does it. Look at scientific studies on prayer. Or does god foul up the studies to confuse people?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>
I suspect that most here went though a stage as newbies in which we were overly critical of others' writing--I know I did. Most of us learn to avoid that distraction, especially after the tables are turned and every mistake that we make is pointed out. But we still notice, and it is still annoying. It's hard not to say so every great once in a while.
As I've written often enough to be a bit of a bore on the subject, the essential qualities of good writing are not grammar, spelling, or even syntax. These are merely tools that we use to attain the most important qualities, which are readability and clarity. Eventually, we all learn to focus on our own writing and leave others to do the same.
I have talked about his grammar one time, in a short post, and I made it clear that it was just one mistake that got on my nerves, not every mistake he made. I had ignored all of his mistakes up until then and I will continue to ignore them.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Well, he's right. Anything supernatural is necessarily something that exists outside of our reality, and therefore does not exist for us.
He's not right and neither are you.

To think like you two do is to say that DNA was "non-existent" before it was discovered...

But that isn't true.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>You think that you have. It's called confirmation bias - a very simple concept. Everyone does it. Look at scientific studies on prayer. Or does god foul up the studies to confuse people?
Don't tell me what has and hasn't happened to me, you have no idea what you're talking about.
dr Shrink

Baltimore, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>You think that you have. It's called confirmation bias - a very simple concept. Everyone does it. Look at scientific studies on prayer. Or does god foul up the studies to confuse people?
God don't need to confuse people?
because confused and dumb butts people like you,globaly confuse horibly all people,deceving them,Lie to them and f....yourselves own a....that is atheism

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
He's not right and neither are you.
To think like you two do is to say that DNA was "non-existent" before it was discovered...
But that isn't true.
It's a distinction that I don't think you are going to understand. DNA is not something that exists outside of the natural realm; it was invisible before it's discovery, but not non existent. The supernatural realm would, by definition, exist outside of our reality, and therefore it would be nonexistent to us.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't tell me what has and hasn't happened to me, you have no idea what you're talking about.
I'm sorry, it's a simple fact that prayer doesn't work. Your conviction means nothing.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

dr Shrink wrote:
<quoted text>
God don't need to confuse people?
because confused and dumb butts people like you,globaly confuse horibly all people,deceving them,Lie to them and f....yourselves own a....that is atheism
What is this I don't even

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>I have talked about his grammar one time, in a short post, and I made it clear that it was just one mistake that got on my nerves, not every mistake he made. I had ignored all of his mistakes up until then and I will continue to ignore them.
Yeah, that's what I meant when I wrote, "But we still notice, and it is still annoying. It's hard not to say so every great once in a while." One of the reasons that I rarely mention mistakes, though, is that they often offer insight into the way a writer thinks--or fails to. Our mistakes are part of our subtext, and unintentional ones at that. They are like gambling tells or the kind of micro-expressions that reveal the emotions behind the spoken word. Tells give other gamblers an extra edge. Little quirks in writing styles do the same.

“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe one of the free thinkers can back me up. But there have been plenty of scientific studies showing prayer does not work. Prayers which seem answered are merely coincidence.
The fact that God fails to feed the hungry or give water to the thirsty, but lets millions starve and go without clean water, is proof that no loving all powerful deity exists.
This was the clincher for me. When I realised prayer is superstition.
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm...

"Seeking to assess the effect of third-party prayer on patient outcomes, investigators found no evidence for divine intervention. They did, however, detect a possible proof for the power of negative thinking."

That's from the largest double blind study on prayer to date. No positive effect, slightly increased chance of dying.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
When I was a believe, god was an all loving all powerful deity. Not some impersonal force that didnt care about us.
Now the reality is that prayer is really talking to yourself. When in a church service everyone bows their heads and prays together this and that. They are really trying to invoke magic from imaginary sky people. Seen this way, you can see how this really is crazy.
I have a second point. That is asking things from god is actually going against the will of god. If you think god is all powerful and perfect, he will always do the right thing. Therefore when christians and muslims ask him to do things, bless this or heal that, and he isnt doing it; they are actually going directly against gods will.
So prayer is either a pointless superstition, or it is going against gods will. Either way it has no point.
Well said!

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Isaiah 53:5
King James Version (KJV)
5 But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.
Yes, mythology books report all kinds of miracles.

Why don't you care more about the miracles of non-Christians that thousands of people report going on the modern age?

It's because you don't believe them. Like you, I don't believe them. I also don't believe your holy book. Why not?

Well, it goes like this: how do we know the Bible/Koran is the Word of God? It tells us it is! Oh, so why should we believe that? Because it's the Word of God!

Yes, that seems quite stupid to me, too.
Thinking

Dalry, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

Judged:

Great, thanks. Been very busy recently, done a lot of travelling.
Hope life is treating you well in that there North.
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Hello stranger, long time no see, how’ve you been?

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>But it *can* affect your epigenome! Dave already explained it.
By saying we can cook it. And then claiming I lied about that. Yes, yes he did.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Quite a bold statement. Just because YOU have never had a prayer answered does NOT suggest that "prayers are never answered", son. I have had prayers answered. Lots if people have.
No, you haven't, you only THINK you're prayers have been answered. Here is what an answered prayer is; Your own personal interpretation or an event or circumstance that has worked in your favor.

The other option is that you are laboring under a serious delusion, like talking to Angels or a mythical being touching you on the head.

The body healing itself is NOT a miracle. Medical science is full of well documented cases of the body healing itself.

Praying to God for a loved one to get better and they do, is NOT a miracle.

Praying to find your lost car keys and then finding them, is NOT a miracle.

Now....having an amputee pray for a limb to be restored and it happens, IS a miracles from God.

Praying for someone to be completely cured of HIV, and they do, IS a miracle from God.

Praying that millions of starving children survive starvation, and they do, IS a miracle from God.

Non of these three situations has ever happened, EVER.

Glad I could clear up your confusion as to what constitutes a miracles.
Thinking

Dalry, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

Didn't you mean p!ss?
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
I said "ok, let's drink beer. Not Budweiser, it's crap."
:)

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
That was a completely different thing. I said have someone put you in a microwave, and referred to radar beams.
You go to such lengths to twist things to imagine you are winning an argument on a stupid forum. You would surely do the same to win fame and glory with a research paper. I am sure you are marked by others to undergo a very stringent peer review. They should, anyhow.
No, Dave, you said that microwaves could affect my epigenome by cooking it ONLY AFTER I pointed out that standing near a microwave would do nothing. You immediately moved the goal posts because you're a small man and you need to not be wrong about anything.

I'm not trying to "win" against your stupid inability to remember what you wrote, or the insane gibberish that you write. No one can "win" an argument with someone who is not rational and does not respect logical thinking like you.

I'm correcting your dishonest labeling of me as a liar.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Where's the "unfriend" button?
You like Budweiser?!? Blach!!!

One sip for me, instant migraine. It has some chemical in it that gets boys not laid. No joke - full on migraine.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, that's what I meant when I wrote, "But we still notice, and it is still annoying. It's hard not to say so every great once in a while." One of the reasons that I rarely mention mistakes, though, is that they often offer insight into the way a writer thinks--or fails to. Our mistakes are part of our subtext, and unintentional ones at that. They are like gambling tells or the kind of micro-expressions that reveal the emotions behind the spoken word. Tells give other gamblers an extra edge. Little quirks in writing styles do the same.
Yeah, I know you weren't attacking me, I just wanted to point out that it's not at all something that I do all the time. Your observation about mistakes being akin to a "tell" is spot on - everyone gives little insights into the way they think through their writing.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 8 min JudgeNJury 257,760
Hot gays in Abu Dhabi (Nov '13) 9 min pure top 721
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 12 min Stilgar Fifrawi 732,521
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 13 min confrinting with ... 538,594
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 22 min Israelis r Marxis... 117,943
justice for Ethan abernathy 35 min Jami richardson 1
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 36 min bacon hater 94,606
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 2 hr Epiphany2 599,750
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 7 hr Le_le 173,257
•••
Enter and win $5000

Top Stories People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••