Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#137224 Nov 13, 2012
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Check your bible Fred, although it would appear as though you don't even own one. The "firmament' was placed above the earth, the firmament is were heaven is located. Every biblical description of heaven is alway UP in the heavens. You never attended Sunday school? It is thee you should have been brainwashed into knowing that heaven is UP and hell is DOWN.
Yes little one God lives in Heaven, the Devil lives in Hell, and Peter Pan lives in Never Never Land!!! Oh, and Trolls live under the bridge, although some actually live here in Topix.
Right, right, right.....

And water has a "face", huh?

Moron.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#137225 Nov 13, 2012
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Since prayers are never answered it would be a worthless endeavor to find out the ratio of prayers that were answered.
Quite a bold statement. Just because YOU have never had a prayer answered does NOT suggest that "prayers are never answered", son. I have had prayers answered. Lots if people have.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#137226 Nov 13, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Every US President from the first to President Obama believes in God.
The bible never dates the earth as 6000 years old. And the 6 days of creation are not based on mans 24hr day. The 6 days of creation are the 6 steps or stages of creation. At the time Genesis was written. There was no explanation for ďMillions.Ē It was written so people of every age could understand.
Those six days were on Gods scale and not mans. Thereíre varying scales in measurement. We know the Earth and all of creation is much older than 6000 years. The New Testament even makes a reference to the time difference between man and God.
2 Peter 3:8
Amplified Bible (AMP)
{Nevertheless, do not let this one fact escape you, beloved, that with the Lord one day is as a thousand years and a thousand years as one day}.
Note the writer is writing metaphorically in 2 PETER 3:8.
It doesnít mean literally a thousand years as one day. The writer is speaking figuratively.
I think a lot of folks have let that "one fact" escape them. They fervently try their best to disprove the Bible by quoting 6,000 years. They refuse to read it as it is really meant. They're a list cause...

Remember Psalm 90:4...

For a thousand years in thy sight are but as yesterday when it is past, and as a watch in the night.

A "watch in the night" is a 3 hour night watch, as in a security watch.

So the Bible is teaching us that God measure of time is nothing like ours.

A day to God is like a thousand years.

A thousand years to God is like a day.

A 3 hour time frame to God is like a thousand years.

I tally wish these morons would attempt to understand that. And that NOWHERE in the Bible does it says that creation took 6,000 years.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#137227 Nov 13, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Doctor, Assumptions don't count.
You have no scientific evidence to support your claim.
Nor have you been to Africa to conduct a informal survey.
You probably could if you really wanted to.
It could be a informative trip providing that you didnít cross paths with tribal clans that want your head as decor.
That would be real bad. And you couldnít pray your way out of that predicament.
You best not go Doctor and just stick to assumptions. Itís safer that way.
Funny, my dad was missionary to Tanzania, Africa for two years. He had to have a security detachment with him to protect from thieves and raiders.

He went bringing food, medicine & various supplies to the very needy & desparate in Tanzania. They met him with violence & evil.

In the end, all they wanted was to rob each other of their free shit that we have them.

That part of Africa needs a lot of work & a lot of education. For the time being, they seem like a lost cause.

I really wish ol' black lagoon would go there & see how many real Christians there are...

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#137228 Nov 13, 2012
Thinking wrote:
You can't have me, nobgobbler.
<quoted text>
Hello stranger, long time no see, howíve you been?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#137229 Nov 13, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
I said "ok, let's drink beer. Not Budweiser, it's crap."
:)
Where's the "unfriend" button?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#137230 Nov 13, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
What would be an example of an unnatural phenomena?
<quoted text>
You honestly believe that criminals, who fit within your numbers 2 and 3, are examples of unnatural phenomena? Or geniuses?
Psychopaths fit into your number 5 and maybe 4.
Wow. Ok. Why do you think so?
I can see number 1 as being an example of an unnatural phenomena. Do you believe they actually happen?
Yes. I think that natural law as we know is probably infantile. We're just beginning to learn about natural law, which a suggests that we still have a lot that is unknown.

Do you think the periodic table is finished?

Do you think humans are all done evolving?

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

#137231 Nov 13, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not dishonest. You wrote that standing by my microwave could affect my "epigenome." You gave me specific advice to wear a tinfoil hat.
These are your exact words, a reply to my post about the microwave interfering with my wifi:
"You ought to see what they have done to your brain.
Your epigenomes are in serious straits.
Get a tin foil hat, but make sure you have a grounded wire connected to it. You get a resonant cavity without it, which makes it even worse."
http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/TUGI0DV...
You accusing me of lying when you quite clearly said the above is cute, Dave.
That makes you dishonest.
Just a quick tip on Topix links: if a little time has passed, sometimes so many posts have been deleted that the page number changes. When that happens, you can still get a good link to the post in question by removing the page number from the link so that it looks like this like this:

http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/TUGI0DV...

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

#137232 Nov 13, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
The attack on grammar is your vain and inept way to reply to ones post. The critique of ones writing is merely a side bar meant to deflect and harass the poster. All the while promoting yourself as being something superior. This is typical narcissist behavior on your part.
Because you are unskilled in countering the annotations of those of faith. Your shallow responses are just that shallow. Lacking any real substance in your answers you typically express sarcasm and cynicism.
Meaning your depth as a intellectual is just not there. At best you may have a average IQ. Nothing superior to average. This is very evident by your counter attacks and reverting to your lame effort to side track post with grammar.
This is not the Queens school of grammar. And you certainly are not the Queens most studious student.
Frankly you are just another self absorbed atheist trying to make yourself look astute.
I suspect that most here went though a stage as newbies in which we were overly critical of others' writing--I know I did. Most of us learn to avoid that distraction, especially after the tables are turned and every mistake that we make is pointed out. But we still notice, and it is still annoying. It's hard not to say so every great once in a while.

As I've written often enough to be a bit of a bore on the subject, the essential qualities of good writing are not grammar, spelling, or even syntax. These are merely tools that we use to attain the most important qualities, which are readability and clarity. Eventually, we all learn to focus on our own writing and leave others to do the same.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#137233 Nov 13, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Funny, my dad was missionary to Tanzania, Africa for two years. He had to have a security detachment with him to protect from thieves and raiders.
He went bringing food, medicine & various supplies to the very needy & desparate in Tanzania. They met him with violence & evil.
In the end, all they wanted was to rob each other of their free shit that we have them.
That part of Africa needs a lot of work & a lot of education. For the time being, they seem like a lost cause.
I really wish ol' black lagoon would go there & see how many real Christians there are...
You know 50 years ago it was the same way. Africa is always in need. Even thought itís rich with recourses. As a continent it just doesnít progress. I donít think itís ever going to. Other continents move forward and Africa stays the same.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#137234 Nov 13, 2012
NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>
I suspect that most here went though a stage as newbies in which we were overly critical of others' writing--I know I did. Most of us learn to avoid that distraction, especially after the tables are turned and every mistake that we make is pointed out. But we still notice, and it is still annoying. It's hard not to say so every great once in a while.
As I've written often enough to be a bit of a bore on the subject, the essential qualities of good writing are not grammar, spelling, or even syntax. These are merely tools that we use to attain the most important qualities, which are readability and clarity. Eventually, we all learn to focus on our own writing and leave others to do the same.
[Tipping hat] Thank you my good man.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#137236 Nov 13, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
The attack on grammar is your vain and inept way to reply to ones post. The critique of ones writing is merely a side bar meant to deflect and harass the poster. All the while promoting yourself as being something superior. This is typical narcissist behavior on your part.
Because you are unskilled in countering the annotations of those of faith. Your shallow responses are just that shallow. Lacking any real substance in your answers you typically express sarcasm and cynicism.
Meaning your depth as a intellectual is just not there. At best you may have a average IQ. Nothing superior to average. This is very evident by your counter attacks and reverting to your lame effort to side track post with grammar.
This is not the Queens school of grammar. And you certainly are not the Queens most studious student.
Frankly you are just another self absorbed atheist trying to make yourself look astute.
Why did you feel the need to type out this long post to me? I don't even think I was particularly mean in anything I said to, or about, you. I just pointed out an error that you constantly make that annoys me. And I may have pointed out that you're a bigot. So what? You are a bigot.

And I really don't care what you think of my intelligence. I'm not here to prove anything to anyone, I'm mostly here to read and learn from the occasional interesting/insightful post that pops up among all the nonsense peddlers like yourself.

Location hidden

#137237 Nov 13, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
That was a completely different thing. I said have someone put you in a microwave, and referred to radar beams.
You go to such lengths to twist things to imagine you are winning an argument on a stupid forum. You would surely do the same to win fame and glory with a research paper. I am sure you are marked by others to undergo a very stringent peer review. They should, anyhow.
Dave, you're being kind of ridiculous. The comment you made clearly implied that microwaves affect the epigenome in a way other than "cooking it." That is not what you meant, and if it is what you meant, it was a stunningly dull observation. I can change my molecular makeup by hacking my arm off, too.

Location hidden

#137238 Nov 13, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
How do you know heís not and isnít it possible that you are flat out wrong?
I could be wrong, but probably not. I'm not the one trying to interpret the words of an all powerful deity through the lens of science. What makes you think mankind is capable of interpreting the words of a god? And if he meant for it to be interpreted, why would he make his one testament to mankind a garbled mess with no universally accepted way of "interpreting" it? Why did it become metaphorical only after science proved it's absurdity? What happens when every positive claim in the bible has been debunked by science? What then? Will the whole book be nothing more than a giant metaphor?

Location hidden

#137239 Nov 13, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
John 8:44
Amplified Bible (AMP)
44 You are of your father, the devil, and it is your will to practice the lusts and gratify the desires [which are characteristic] of your father. He was a murderer from the beginning and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaks a falsehood, he speaks what is natural to him, for he is a liar [himself] and the father of lies and of all that is false.
That seems like a condemnation of lust and of giving into desires of the flesh. Where do you get homosexuality out of that? Also, have you ever lusted for someone? Have you ever given into that desire? Assuming you have, I have some bad news about your "father."

Location hidden

#137240 Nov 13, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
No, you're making me sick.
So you think that if science can't prove or detect or test something then it's non-existent.
Got it
You're an idiot.
Well, he's right. Anything supernatural is necessarily something that exists outside of our reality, and therefore does not exist for us.

Location hidden

#137241 Nov 13, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Quite a bold statement. Just because YOU have never had a prayer answered does NOT suggest that "prayers are never answered", son. I have had prayers answered. Lots if people have.
You think that you have. It's called confirmation bias - a very simple concept. Everyone does it. Look at scientific studies on prayer. Or does god foul up the studies to confuse people?

Location hidden

#137242 Nov 13, 2012
NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>
I have talked about his grammar one time, in a short post, and I made it clear that it was just one mistake that got on my nerves, not every mistake he made. I had ignored all of his mistakes up until then and I will continue to ignore them.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#137243 Nov 13, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Well, he's right. Anything supernatural is necessarily something that exists outside of our reality, and therefore does not exist for us.
He's not right and neither are you.

To think like you two do is to say that DNA was "non-existent" before it was discovered...

But that isn't true.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#137244 Nov 13, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>You think that you have. It's called confirmation bias - a very simple concept. Everyone does it. Look at scientific studies on prayer. Or does god foul up the studies to confuse people?
Don't tell me what has and hasn't happened to me, you have no idea what you're talking about.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 3 min confrinting with ... 559,042
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 4 min Exotic chibi 604,807
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 4 min Hidingfromyou 773,980
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 5 min bad bob 175,555
Chat Room Rage (Apr '07) 11 min faith short 4,957
God is REAL - Miracles Happen! (Jun '11) 22 min GodFreeByChoice 5,708
Wake up, Black America!! (Sep '13) 24 min uMAkeWOrldPeaceUI... 4,733
Why Iím no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 5 hr HipGnosis 441,755
More from around the web