Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258041 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“A sentient umbrella speaks”

Since: Mar 11

Some stable somewhere

#137058 Nov 12, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Belief that this existence was a random series of events arising from the sudden burst of energy from a superheated density much quicker than 6 days is a fairytale.
Those that believe they are more intelligent because of that belief live a fairytale.
That simple.
There is a huge difference between discounting the accounts of an old book, and discounting the very logic our science works by. Which is cause and effect. You don't get something from nothing. The something is always provided.
Your atheistic cosmological models and theories have more holes in them than religions do. The BBT can easily be fit into many religions. What happened before it can not be fit into science fact, just speculations.
I have an IQ of almost 72!

“A sentient umbrella speaks”

Since: Mar 11

Some stable somewhere

#137059 Nov 12, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
That is an a priori assumption that only natural phenomena exist.
What would unnatural phenomena be?

Since: Sep 08

Lamar, CO

#137060 Nov 12, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Right, Dave. Sure. You can cook DNA, no problem. Standing near an electric field, like the one given off by my computer or my microwave, is not going to do anything to my methyl binding sites.
Who said anything about standing beside those items. Besides you?

That wasn't what I posted.

You are dishonest. Do you do the same with your research?
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#137061 Nov 12, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Belief that this existence was a random series of events arising from the sudden burst of energy from a superheated density much quicker than 6 days is a fairytale.
Those that believe they are more intelligent because of that belief live a fairytale.
That simple.
There is a huge difference between discounting the accounts of an old book, and discounting the very logic our science works by. Which is cause and effect. You don't get something from nothing. The something is always provided.
Your atheistic cosmological models and theories have more holes in them than religions do. The BBT can easily be fit into many religions. What happened before it can not be fit into science fact, just speculations.
Yes, your right, for the scientifically uneducated mind the singularity seems like a fairytale. But having an invisible entity scooping up a handful of dirt and blowing on it to instantly create a fully formed man is......what?
Ah, the old cause and effect argument, I thought you people outgrew that a long time ago. Your first problem is to define nothing. Nothing is an impossible state. Science has basically found through mat and physics, that the state of something is a more natural state than nothing. Which is most likely why the universe, or at least what we know is the universe, is infinite, no boundaries, no edges. As Stephen Hawking claim "The universe simply IS."
The next unsurmountable problem you have is NOT going to "special pleading" when using the cause and effect argument. Whatever, or in the Theists case whom-ever created something from nothing, also needs a creator.

“e pluribus unum”

Since: Dec 10

primus inter pares

#137062 Nov 12, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Today I'm going to hurtle myself through space and see what kinds of radiation damage I can get.
Woah , you should at least get a hazmat suit before you blast off!
You might want to have normal babies one day !:)
Nah n/m you prob don't want a anchor with a diaper on it ..heheheh

“What game?”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#137063 Nov 12, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Right, Dave. Sure. You can cook DNA, no problem. Standing near an electric field, like the one given off by my computer or my microwave, is not going to do anything to my methyl binding sites.
What happened to the dude that saw ghosts next to his microwave? Perhaps he was on to something or maybe the sentient tree root finally caught him.

“e pluribus unum”

primus inter pares

#137064 Nov 12, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Discovering that the Saturn actually had fried onion rings :D
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#137065 Nov 12, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Doctor, you have not been to all the countries in Africa. You also have not done a scientific survey of those who have asked for healing versus those that didn’t. So you are making unscientific assumptions based on your own opinion. That’s assuming Doctor. It’s ok, I’m just saying your opinion is not based on any evidence.
Those countries in the predominantly Christian area of South Africa have done much better than those countries further North. Those countries in the mid section and North have struggled with famine, illness, unstable governments, dictatorships, roving gangs, std’s, mayhem and wars.
If it makes one feel better to blame everything on God then so be it. Mankind in my opinion is responsible for a lot of the misery resulting in children dying in Africa. I don’t think the problem is God but mankind.
How many children were saved by prayer alone? I don’t know Doctor and since I don’t know I’m not going to make any claims to that respect. I can only speak for my own experience. And that experience has proven that God does answer prayer. Not every prayer mind you but enough to cause me to believe God is real.
Yes, yes, dodge and weave all you want, I suspected you would avoid at all costs anything that would condemn your God. One of the main tenants of your religion is the power of prayer. Am I to believe that any parent with a dying child would not evoke the help of God through prayer?

I never said man was NOT responsible for the deaths of these poor children, and for the misery caused to so many, I agree 100% that this is were the problem lies. My issue for the umpteenth time is the inability of your God to hear and respond to the prayers of these poor parents. You would have me believe that because I haven't visited these countries, I can make no claim that these CHRISTIANS pray for their dying children. I find that a supreme dodge on your part. But I suspect nothing other than you avoiding the issue.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#137066 Nov 12, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
May goodness and peace rest upon you my good Doctor.
Right back at ya!!! Thanks.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#137067 Nov 12, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
That is an a priori assumption that only natural phenomena exist.
Until science can prove otherwise its not an assumption but a fact.

“e pluribus unum”

primus inter pares

#137068 Nov 12, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Who said anything about standing beside those items. Besides you?
That wasn't what I posted.
You are dishonest. Do you do the same with your research?

We never do research with you standing beside us? It's in the rules.
ha ha ha
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#137069 Nov 12, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You're clearly showing your intelligence quotient by typing it "I.Q". lol
Where was is written that dinosaurs were on the ark???
Where does the Bible say anything about a "sky fairy"?
Zip up, son. Your ignorance is gleaming.
On two separate occasions the bible supports Dinosaurs being on the Ark. First it says that ALL land vertebrates were o the Ark, of course you do know that dinosaurs are vertebrates. It then says that "Every kind of air breathing animal" was o the Ark. Of course the Creation Museum in Kentucky has exhibits showing dinosaurs on the Ark. WHY the HELL do Atheists ALWAYS know more about whats in your bible than you???? Shocking, absolutely SHOCKING!!!

God lives in the sky, or so I'm told, heaven is up, right, up is were the sky is, and like fairies he's a mythical creature so....Sky Fairy.

Now....lets see you address the rest of the fairytales I posted. I dare you to try and refute any of them, I double dare ya!!!!

Since: Sep 08

Lamar, CO

#137070 Nov 12, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
That simple.
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, your right, for the scientifically uneducated mind the singularity seems like a fairytale. But having an invisible entity scooping up a handful of dirt and blowing on it to instantly create a fully formed man is......what?
Ah, the old cause and effect argument, I thought you people outgrew that a long time ago. Your first problem is to define nothing. Nothing is an impossible state. Science has basically found through mat and physics, that the state of something is a more natural state than nothing. Which is most likely why the universe, or at least what we know is the universe, is infinite, no boundaries, no edges. As Stephen Hawking claim "The universe simply IS."
The next unsurmountable problem you have is NOT going to "special pleading" when using the cause and effect argument. Whatever, or in the Theists case whom-ever created something from nothing, also needs a creator.
Intelligent people are supposed to be impressed with that argument?

Totally specious.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#137071 Nov 12, 2012
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
No, the age old christian/jewish/muslim one.
Your witty repartee is running a bit thin.
Oh darn. I tried.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#137072 Nov 12, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
zenzen. jya, biiru wo nomouyo! demo sa, budowaisa- ha blach da yo! motomoto ii biiru nomitaindeskedo...
derrrrr-unmmmm. Chop suey !

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#137073 Nov 12, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
I have an IQ of almost 72!
No, no, no. They told you 27........

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#137074 Nov 12, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh maybe

1. In violation of a natural law.
2. Inconsistent with an individual pattern or custom.
3. Deviating from a behavioral or social norm: an unnatural attachment.
4. Contrived or constrained; artificial: smiled in an unnatural manner.
5. In violation of natural feelings; inhuman.

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#137075 Nov 12, 2012
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
What happened to the dude that saw ghosts next to his microwave? Perhaps he was on to something or maybe the sentient tree root finally caught him.
I saw him next to my microwave.

He said only one word, "Roots.", then he vanished just as the steam billowed out from the microwave door.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#137076 Nov 12, 2012
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Until science can prove otherwise its not an assumption but a fact.
Ok. You want science to prove something non-scientific?

I wonder if the other atheists are like "Dude, lagoooooon!! Shut the hell up man, you're making us look bad!"

“What game?”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#137077 Nov 12, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
derrrrr-unmmmm. Chop suey !
Be careful

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 12 min another viewer 665,388
Christians cannot debate with ATHEISTS 16 min Seentheotherside 589
3 Newspapers in Eagle RIver AK 16 min eljay577 1
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 23 min RiversideRedneck 977,399
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 30 min RiversideRedneck 88,252
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 32 min Pegasus 284,577
The Future of Politics in America 38 min Nohweh 259
Secular Humanism VS Christianity 1 hr Nohweh 176
More from around the web