Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 244887 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#136765 Nov 10, 2012
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>
I said I would get back with you on a personal testimony about what God has done for me this week.

My daughter is a registered nurse. She became very ill two weeks ago while at home. A ambulance was called and she was taken to the local hospital. Her illness was so severe that a Medical Air Vac was called.

Her life was hanging in the balance. Her blood pressure and heart rate had became erratic. She had high fever with a extreme headache. The helicopter picked her and flew her to St. Louis. I listened as the bird took off with my little girl. For a while I thought I would never see her again alive. I couldn’t go to the hospital because I had her kids.

The community I live in is very small and you can hear the helicopter from my house. I knew it was her as they helicopter flew over my house. We prayed, sometimes that’s all you can do is call upon God.

Once she was at St Louis a team of Doctors started working on her. She was diagnosed with Viral Meningitis. This illness is not a walk in the park. Sometimes it takes months to recover from.

She just came home tonight from a relapse that occurred a couple of days ago. At this point it looks to be a slow recovery. But she is alive and will recover. I’m thankful God didn’t take her away. We prayed Doctor, because that was all we could do as family members.

I’m thankful for medical science, the doctors, nurses, rescue personal. I’m also thankful that God didn’t take her because he very well could have. I do believe in God. I’m not crazy nor are millions of other believers. He doesn’t answer every prayer. But he has answered enough of them to let me know he is real.

“Thank you GOD for JESUS”

Since: Jul 07

And thank you JESUS for caring

#136766 Nov 10, 2012
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
I have heard that same excuse a dozen or more times! I still don't buy it.
You cannot buy what I have written, I withdrew it from circulation. So you are right again, you don't buy it :)

“Thank you GOD for JESUS”

Since: Jul 07

And thank you JESUS for caring

#136767 Nov 10, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
DNA produces proteins. Proteins have interactions in the body and make everything else.
DNA is much more like a recipe than a blueprint. It cannot be reversed, but a blueprint can be. The body is built/developed because of chemical gradients, with each part acting on its own though in concert because of selection pressure.
Indeed ~ they have come a long way with their understanding :)

***
Breakthrough study overturns theory of 'junk DNA' in genome

The international Encode project has found that about a fifth of the human genome regulates the 2% that makes proteins

Long stretches of DNA previously dismissed as "junk" are in fact crucial to the way our genome works, an international team of researchers said on Wednesday.

It is the most significant shift in scientists' understanding of the way our DNA operates since the sequencing of the human genome in 2000, when it was discovered that our bodies are built and controlled by far fewer genes than expected. Now the next generation of geneticists have updated that picture.

The results of the international Encode project will have a huge impact for geneticists trying to work out how genes operate. The findings will also provide new leads for scientists looking for treatments for conditions such as heart disease, diabetes and Crohn's disease that have their roots partly in glitches in the DNA. Until now, the focus had largely been on looking for errors within genes themselves, but the Encode research will help guide the hunt for problem areas that lie elsewhere in our DNA sequence.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2012/sep/05... ***

***Origin of the term "Junk DNA" (Susumu Ohno, 1972)

Dr. Susumu Ohno, writing in the Brookhaven Symposium on Biology in 1972 in the article "So Much ‘Junk DNA' in our Genome" is credited with originating the term. As anyone can read below, he tried to (mistakenly) construct a scientific argument that the human genome can not sustain more than a very limited number of "genes" and argued for "the importance of doing nothing" for the rest. Though his misnomer was doubted from the outset (see the first question after his presentation calling his arguments "suspect"), the misnomer lived for a generation, in spite of ample evidence that it was false. The reason is, that "facts don't kill theories, only theories that exceed obsolete dogma can kill old theories. "The Principle of Recursive Genome Function", heretofore the only concise interpretation how directly amino-acid-coding regions (formerly called "genes") work together with intronic and intergenic sequences, carrying much auxiliary information that is perused in fractal recursive iteration, only appeared in 2008. There may be other mathematical algorithmic theories for genome function explaining why and how "Junk DNA" is anything but "Junk" - this author will be pleased to list them - Pellionisz_at_JunkDNA.com

http://www.junkdna.com/ohno.html ***

There are articles on junk DNA being referred to by scientists as their 'playground' and I have it somewhere in my notes; sort of proving the arrogance of scientists to a degree. What they don’t understand is not relevant….. in their eyes, at least.

“Thank you GOD for JESUS”

Since: Jul 07

And thank you JESUS for caring

#136768 Nov 10, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
That doesn't make your deity a very nice one, hey...
HE is trying to prevent evil in man(kind); to date there has been no real success, but perhaps HE is closer at removing evil from 'in tent ions' than we think!

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#136769 Nov 10, 2012
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
It is a deductive certainty that the universe was created.
It began to exist.
How do we know?
Because it now exists. If it always existed, time would have to be infinite in the past. If so, since infinite time cannot elapse, the present time could never occur.
Since the present exists, therefore, the universe began to exist, and was created.
By what process or action - that's another question.
It was and is a product of BB: no creator needed

“Thank you GOD for JESUS”

Since: Jul 07

And thank you JESUS for caring

#136770 Nov 10, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
If you're 20, you'll probably live to 150 now, barring the elimination of old age.
If you're 50...you might see 100, 110 if you've got good genes.
Your grandchildren may see an age, if we don't screw up the world and if the wealthy don't monopolize the tech, where people don't die from old age.
I don't think the problem is insurmountable. It's extremely difficult - or, rather, the problems associated with aging are each extremely difficult to solve, but I have confidence we'll get there.
I might be way off on my projections. It may take 500 years. After all, the work to date on this problem is abysmal, simple, of no consequence, and only the wealthy ignorant can be fooled out of their money to fund it.
:)
Or simple country villagers :0)

*** Only five official Blue Zones exist in the entire world. They are located in regions of different countries where people commonly live active lives past the age of 100. It took several years of research for scientists and demographers to find them and even longer to classify them. Each longevity "hot-spot" required intense study to determine the healthy traits and life practices they had in common that caused them to lead, healthier and happier lives. A blue zone is considered to be a "longevity oasis" and the people who live there are believed to have the longest life expectancies on earth.

The longest living women were found in Okinawa, Japan. Another blue zone was discovered in the mountains of Sardinia, Italy where even men reach the age of 100 at an amazing rate, another was discovered on the Nicoya Peninsula of Costa Rica in 2007. Only one of the blue zones is located in the United States. It was found when researchers, who were studying a group of Seventh-day Adventists in Loma Linda, California, discovered they suffered from a fraction of the diseases that commonly kill people in other parts of the United States and throughout the developed world. The final blue zone was found on an expedition to the island of Ikaria, Greece where they have 50% lower rates of heart disease, 20% less cancer, and almost zero dementia.

http://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/longevity-... ***

There are some long living people in Russian villages too; the elderly play their role in the villages, still working at the trade that has suited them over the years, so they still feel useful, and have reasons to get up and care. Most people enjoy cooking, for example, for others, so when there is only thyself to cook for, it is often overlooked in place of a snack or something.

“Thank you GOD for JESUS”

Since: Jul 07

And thank you JESUS for caring

#136771 Nov 10, 2012
NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>
You're wrong about that. Education enables one to fully appreciate wonders that would escape the notice of most other people and to feel the depth of "miracles"of which most only see the surface. But it's so much easier to excoriate education than to strive daily for ever greater understandings that only education can deliver.
I was being sarcastic :)

“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#136772 Nov 10, 2012
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
It is a deductive certainty that the universe was created.
It began to exist.
How do we know?
Because it now exists. If it always existed, time would have to be infinite in the past. If so, since infinite time cannot elapse, the present time could never occur.
Since the present exists, therefore, the universe began to exist, and was created.
By what process or action - that's another question.
Not "was created" by an agent, but in terms of "came into existence," in a manner we cannot yet determine, for sure.

Hi Buck!

“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#136773 Nov 10, 2012
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>HE is trying to prevent evil in man(kind); to date there has been no real success, but perhaps HE is closer at removing evil from 'in tent ions' than we think!
First, I don't agree that your deity enjoys an objective, separate existence from you. So I don't think your deity is doing anything except acting as a metaphor for you to understand the universe around you.

Second, if your deity is real, and if He's been trying to stop human immorality, He's not very good at it.

Third, if your deity is real and also the Creator of the universe, He seems to enjoy parasites. There are 4 times as many parasites as free living species. A few of these make humans pretty sick, killing something like 8 million children per year before their 5th birthday. I don't personally see that as very nice, but then, if your deity exists and is the Creator of the universe, He probably doesn't care what I think.
Anonymous

San Jose, CA

#136774 Nov 11, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
First, I don't agree that your deity enjoys an objective, separate existence from you. So I don't think your deity is doing anything except acting as a metaphor for you to understand the universe around you.
Second, if your deity is real, and if He's been trying to stop human immorality, He's not very good at it.
Third, if your deity is real and also the Creator of the universe, He seems to enjoy parasites. There are 4 times as many parasites as free living species. A few of these make humans pretty sick, killing something like 8 million children per year before their 5th birthday. I don't personally see that as very nice, but then, if your deity exists and is the Creator of the universe, He probably doesn't care what I think.
First, your opinion is like butt in a butthole, once you release it, the only good place for it is in the sewer.
Second, if you had a brain, you would know that your immorality is based on your evil intent and hell will come in due time.
Third, since you are a parasite, all parasites will be extinguished after you have been discarded as waste. If you live in filth and love being a parasite, it is your stupidity that causes children to be exposed. I don't really see you as having even a small amount of common sense, if so, you would take your parasites with you. No one cares what you think.

“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#136775 Nov 11, 2012
Gate KeeperI wrote:
<quoted text>First, your opinion is like butt in a butthole, once you release it, the only good place for it is in the sewer.
Second, if you had a brain, you would know that your immorality is based on your evil intent and hell will come in due time.
Third, since you are a parasite, all parasites will be extinguished after you have been discarded as waste. If you live in filth and love being a parasite, it is your stupidity that causes children to be exposed. I don't really see you as having even a small amount of common sense, if so, you would take your parasites with you. No one cares what you think.
Are you really this painfully miserable? Do you parents hate you?

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#136776 Nov 11, 2012
Or perhaps you are just an ignorant batsht crazy loon? After all you worship a sociopath.
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>HE is trying to prevent evil in man(kind); to date there has been no real success, but perhaps HE is closer at removing evil from 'in tent ions' than we think!

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#136777 Nov 11, 2012
And when you talk to believers isn't it funny that God almost always if not always agrees with them?

Almost as if....
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
First, I don't agree that your deity enjoys an objective, separate existence from you. So I don't think your deity is doing anything except acting as a metaphor for you to understand the universe around you.
Second, if your deity is real, and if He's been trying to stop human immorality, He's not very good at it.
Third, if your deity is real and also the Creator of the universe, He seems to enjoy parasites. There are 4 times as many parasites as free living species. A few of these make humans pretty sick, killing something like 8 million children per year before their 5th birthday. I don't personally see that as very nice, but then, if your deity exists and is the Creator of the universe, He probably doesn't care what I think.

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#136778 Nov 11, 2012
Gate KeeperI wrote:
<quoted text>First, your opinion is like butt in a butthole, once you release it, the only good place for it is in the sewer.
Second, if you had a brain, you would know that your immorality is based on your evil intent and hell will come in due time.
Third, since you are a parasite, all parasites will be extinguished after you have been discarded as waste. If you live in filth and love being a parasite, it is your stupidity that causes children to be exposed. I don't really see you as having even a small amount of common sense, if so, you would take your parasites with you. No one cares what you think.
Another vile meaningless post from yet another vile meaningless godbot, your god must be proud of the hate you carry for your fellow man.

“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#136779 Nov 11, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
And when you talk to believers isn't it funny that God almost always if not always agrees with them?
Almost as if....
<quoted text>
Totally! Whatever happened to "I don't know what God wants. He's a mystery"? It's now - or maybe always has been - "God wants X, where X is what I want."

And why aren't believers happy? They would be if their claims were correct - that they communicate with the Creator of the Universe! That's should give them peace and happiness...

And why aren't believers moral??? I can't imagine saying to the Creator of the Universe "sorry, I, uh...well, I sinned again. I know, I know, you Created me and heaven and hell and everything, and we have daily conversations and this whole life thing, it's a test, but...uh..."

Well, the answers are quite clear. They are not in touch with a deity, but have been encultured to misinterpret bodily experience as if they were in communication with one.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#136780 Nov 11, 2012
God, I hate this change back to "standard" time. Throws my internal scheduling way off.

Topix atheists. Such personalities.

Who else can step into the light on the stage of life and believe they brought it with them?

Truly deep thinkers they are.

Yep.

Buck, glad to see you are still kicking. Wish you would stay on here more. Slapping these hard heads breaks blood vessels in the hands of little guys like me. Could use your heavy foot here.

Since: Nov 12

Mumbai, India

#136781 Nov 11, 2012
Atheism doesn't require faith - faith is a blind belief in something despite a lack of evidence or even of evidence to the contrary.

There being no evidence whatsoever in support of any deist God leads surely to the knowledge that there is almost certainly no God,(allowing for the fact that there is no proof that there is in fact no God)

All of the available evidence supports evolution and very strongly suggests that God doesn't exist.

Atheism is not faith, it isn't even a belief system; it is nothing more than an acknowledgement that the available facts point toward the almost certain non-existence of any God whether that be Abrahamic or Thor or the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#136782 Nov 11, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Totally! Whatever happened to "I don't know what God wants. He's a mystery"? It's now - or maybe always has been - "God wants X, where X is what I want."
And why aren't believers happy? They would be if their claims were correct - that they communicate with the Creator of the Universe! That's should give them peace and happiness...
And why aren't believers moral??? I can't imagine saying to the Creator of the Universe "sorry, I, uh...well, I sinned again. I know, I know, you Created me and heaven and hell and everything, and we have daily conversations and this whole life thing, it's a test, but...uh..."
Well, the answers are quite clear. They are not in touch with a deity, but have been encultured to misinterpret bodily experience as if they were in communication with one.
Once in a while you show some thought and insight, but it seems you always let your emotion govern conclusions.

You poor dear, you have educated yourself into ignorance.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#136783 Nov 11, 2012
saucywifeuk wrote:
Atheism doesn't require faith - faith is a blind belief in something despite a lack of evidence or even of evidence to the contrary.
There being no evidence whatsoever in support of any deist God leads surely to the knowledge that there is almost certainly no God,(allowing for the fact that there is no proof that there is in fact no God)
All of the available evidence supports evolution and very strongly suggests that God doesn't exist.
Atheism is not faith, it isn't even a belief system; it is nothing more than an acknowledgement that the available facts point toward the almost certain non-existence of any God whether that be Abrahamic or Thor or the Flying Spaghetti Monster.
What about this existence being part of a larger existence? Therefore a larger entity if we consider ourselves intelligent, aware, etc? Something like the components of your body being linked together, doing their individual thing?

Since: Nov 12

Mumbai, India

#136784 Nov 11, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
What about this existence being part of a larger existence? Therefore a larger entity if we consider ourselves intelligent, aware, etc? Something like the components of your body being linked together, doing their individual thing?
I'd have thought this (all our) existence is indubitably part of a larger whole. It does not neccessarily follow however that there is a larger entity, simply that we're all just tiny sprockets inside cogs inside wheels etc etc.

I'm not saying there is or isn't a God, I'm simply commenting on the thread title.....and asserting that Atheism isn't a faith and does not require faith, faith is belief in something despite lack of supporting evidence.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 10 min Tide with Beach 864,796
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 18 min -Stray Dog 6,477
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 20 min pusherman_ 599,781
Play "end of the word" (Jan '11) 25 min andet1987 6,306
Hard Reset Sony ST27i Xperia Go 48 min hafacs 1
Lido Theater, Dallas (Mar '12) 1 hr courious SWF 361
Why are there only Old White Men on the Ballot 1 hr Wake the Dead 1
The Christian Atheist debate 1 hr HipGnosis 2,008
White Lives MATTER 3 hr Burke Devlin 113
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 8 hr WasteWater 272,417
More from around the web