Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 244927 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#136683 Nov 10, 2012
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
It's ok!:)
Really? How can you "eliminate every God that man has written about" when you haven't read every single religous book on this planet?
Yes, I agree that even my religion doesn't agree with many things written in the Bible/quran, such as beating up women and circumcision. Nevertheless my religion says, "I can see God in the bible and the quran", so I quess we all look at things differently and come to different conclusions. Good people always see Good!
What book, claiming to be holy scripture, have I not read?

What is your definition of,'good'? Is it the same for all people in all countries? Some mussies believe that it is good to kill their daughters for dressing in a manner unacceptable to the family.

“Rising”

Since: Dec 10

Milky Way

#136684 Nov 10, 2012
There is no pain you are receding ....
AHHHHH ah ahh...will you answer the phone?

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#136685 Nov 10, 2012
http://www.thunderbolts.info/wp/2012/11/05/th...

Didn't know there was evidence of such large scale deaths.
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#136686 Nov 10, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
My good Doctor, just how does God murder babies and unborn fetuses?
Would you say to the millions of Moms and women that experienced a miscarriage? Or the thousands of parents that lost a child due to sudden death syndrome?
That God murdered their unborn child?
Doctor, come on now, you are a much more decent man than that. Please don’t let your hate for religion blind your decency. Callousness and coldness will only drive away people further from atheism. You may indeed feel these cold thoughts against a God whom you don’t believe.
People are real. Their pains and emotions don’t subside easily. Wounds in their hearts carry on sometimes for years. Must we drag the vulnerable and wounded through the mud and mire? Let us be removed from such callousness my good Doctor.
According the Theists the bible is the word of God and everything contained in the bible true. Therefore God killed all of the first born males in Egypt. Not sure what the number was, but Egypt was a very large civilization at the time, so the number had to be substantial. And then this God flooded the entire planet killing all but Noah and his family. How many little babies do you suppose there were on the planet at that time? How many pregnant women?

The fact that many babies die every year from various causes goes to unanswered prayers. With millions of children dying horrible deaths from starvation, mostly in Southern Africa. The question becomes, why doesn't God answer the prayers of these millions of parents who pray for the lives of their children? God will cure my eczema if I pray, he will help me find a lost wedding ring, reduce the mortgage on Mom's house, help me win a football game, but turn a deaf ear to all those tortured parents. Then comes..."God works in mysterious ways" or "who can know the mind of God" Or the most obscene "Its because of the fall"

If Theist was to tout the bible as being the word of God , then they must take the goods with the bad, and when questioned, justify what by our standards, is inconceivable evil.

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#136688 Nov 10, 2012
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
llllol.
Look, I don't know anything. Science and religion (my sikh faith) both have theories about 'God' and how the universe was created, but nobody really knows anything for a fact. Hopefully in the future we might have a better understanding of the world we live in.
Oh, but I do have faith that God is not bad!!!!
1. The Big Bang is a fact.
2. Evolution is a fact.
3. Abiogenesis is a fact.

The theories of how the above work is still been worked on.

Westcliffe, CO

#136689 Nov 10, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
http://www.thunderbolts.info/w p/2012/11/05/thunderbolts-mamm oths-and-mass-destruction/
Didn't know there was evidence of such large scale deaths.
Be sure to watch the video at the bottom of the page. If for no other reason than to gaze upon that delicious looking young blonde Australian woman.

Very interesting.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#136690 Nov 10, 2012
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Your jealous is showing.
<ZIIIIIP>

sorry

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#136691 Nov 10, 2012
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
My evidence is the christian bible. Pick up a copy and read it.
I can know that the bible god is mythology without being omniscient omniscient.
How can you know that?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#136692 Nov 10, 2012
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
1. The Big Bang is a fact.
2. Evolution is a fact.
3. Abiogenesis is a fact.
The theories of how the above work is still been worked on.
HA HA HA HA!!!!!

"They are fact. We're still trying to figure it out, though."

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#136693 Nov 10, 2012
Aura Mytha wrote:
There is no pain you are receding ....
AHHHHH ah ahh...will you answer the phone?
Change again, cannot be considered
I rage again, dispelling my anger
Where do I begin?
The choices are endless
My art, my redemption, my only salvation
I carry the gift that I have been blessed with
My soul is adrift in oceans of madness
Repairing the rift that you have created

Westcliffe, CO

#136694 Nov 10, 2012
&fe ature=bf_next&list=UL6yh8F UT8rvI

EM based sudden evolution.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#136695 Nov 10, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
How can you know that?
My evidence is the christian bible.

I can do this for a very long time!

Watch!

It's is easy! Your turn! Ask me how I know!

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

The Borderland of Sol

#136696 Nov 10, 2012
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
I have a battery operated toothbrush. I've never used it on my teeth :)
I hope it's not self aware.
:O
Oh, dear...

Laffin.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#136697 Nov 10, 2012
where did my post go? this site is .......

“What's left to defend?”

Since: Jan 11

Freedom

#136698 Nov 10, 2012
Clementia wrote:
where did my post go? this site is .......
Hungry?

“Thank you GOD for JESUS”

Since: Jul 07

And thank you JESUS for caring

#136699 Nov 10, 2012
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
If anything in reality can be called a miracle, we'd use that word to describe life. It seems rare.
I often write we are all miracles....

#136700 Nov 10, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for proving my point that your a sh**head, stupid.
Ahh, another sheesh head around!!!?? LOL... it is 11:11 am Sunday morning, my chosen day of Sabbath

#136701 Nov 10, 2012
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
How many does god kill? How many miscarriages are there every year?
Why does god do anything about it?
I have a story I need to tell ~ but I will write it in my notes because it is not just for this forum, as such :)

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#136702 Nov 10, 2012
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>According the Theists the bible is the word of God and everything contained in the bible true. Therefore God killed all of the first born males in Egypt. Not sure what the number was, but Egypt was a very large civilization at the time, so the number had to be substantial. And then this God flooded the entire planet killing all but Noah and his family. How many little babies do you suppose there were on the planet at that time? How many pregnant women?
The fact that many babies die every year from various causes goes to unanswered prayers. With millions of children dying horrible deaths from starvation, mostly in Southern Africa. The question becomes, why doesn't God answer the prayers of these millions of parents who pray for the lives of their children? God will cure my eczema if I pray, he will help me find a lost wedding ring, reduce the mortgage on Mom's house, help me win a football game, but turn a deaf ear to all those tortured parents. Then comes..."God works in mysterious ways" or "who can know the mind of God" Or the most obscene "Its because of the fall"
If Theist was to tout the bible as being the word of God , then they must take the goods with the bad, and when questioned, justify what by our standards, is inconceivable evil.
{why doesn't God answer the prayers of these millions of parents}

You are writing under the presumption that all these millions of people in Africa are Christians and worship the One True God. Not so Doctor. For decades religion in Africa was tribal by nature. Christianity has made some gains but so has Islam.

You’re making an assumption that all those prayers fell on deaf ears of a non existent God. You have performed no surveys or even been on a expedition to Africa to find out. I would challenge you to go to Africa and visit a dozen communities. Ask the people if God has ever answered their prayers.

It’s getting too cold now to go and visit some old and historic cemeteries. You will find a lot of graves of babies that were buried in the 1800’s. Where my mother is buried in East Texas. There is a grave of a Mom and three babies buried from the 1800’s. The Mother and the triplets all died in child birth.

Death is a part of life. I have been spared so far from tragedy. I have not lost a child or a grandchild. But I have lost a brother, a sister, my parents.

I would tell you what God has done for me this week but my Grandson wants me to play with him. I’ll tell you later. Have a great evening and pleasant night Doctor.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#136703 Nov 10, 2012
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
What book, claiming to be holy scripture, have I not read?
What is your definition of,'good'? Is it the same for all people in all countries? Some mussies believe that it is good to kill their daughters for dressing in a manner unacceptable to the family.
I don't know, you tell me?

Have you read the Guru granth sahib? The english translation isn't very good because it's more of a interpretation then a translation, which I find very annoying.

I believe whatever is written in my faith to be good for everyone. Harming other people is not good, those muslims are stupid and evil.

My religion gave women equal status long before women in the west were even allowed to vote. Sikhi gave women freedom to join any profession. Sikh women were involved in the decisions made at harminder sahib and were even in the sikh army.

I know some religions that say women cannot go to the temple with men or if they are on their period. And also they go on about how women are dirty. To me that's not right, if there is a God, why would he call me dirty, when he himself made me and the blumin period?

Hindus burned women alive when their husbands died, baba nanak tried to stop that. Widows were not allowed to get remarried, baba ji tried to explain to people that if men can remarry, why can't women? Women were beaten and even killed because of dowry, baba ji again tried to stop that. But if people don't want to change, what can sikhi do about it? Why blame or attack sikhi? If someone keeps breaking the law, are you going to blame the law then? Or do you want to bring in sharia law and start chopping hands off? Blame people and not religion. God gave us all a brain to use, if we don't use it then we're to blame.

Verse from GGS;

From woman, man is born; within woman, man is conceived; to woman he is engaged and married. Woman becomes his friend; through woman, the future generations come. When his woman dies, he seeks another woman; to woman he is bound. So why call her bad? From her, kings are born. From woman, woman is born; without woman, there would be no one at all. O Nanak, only the True Lord is without a woman. That mouth which praises the Lord continually is blessed and beautiful. O Nanak, those faces shall be radiant in the Court of the True Lord.|| 2 ||(Page 473)

Oh and yes, I have a brain too! It's small, but it is there!:)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 6 min Stilgar Fifrawi 865,032
Play "end of the word" (Jan '11) 6 min andet1987 6,308
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 8 min June VanDerMark 599,833
Pro Lifers Are The Same As liberals 14 min Burke Devlin 8
The Christian Atheist debate 40 min Just pondering 2,012
alshayae 46 min atqwa 4
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 1 hr WasteWater 272,420
Sleeping with mother (Oct '13) 4 hr Frannie 44
Which is the Oldest Indian Language? Sanskrit V... (Jul '08) Fri sangili karuppan 7,502
More from around the web