Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#134894 Nov 3, 2012
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you learning more here than at school?
<quoted text>
I don't know what drove him to do what he did. He didn't choose his parents, his birthplace, and had little control over how he was raised. These factors may have helped shape his perceptions and values. The rare combination of factors which culminate in the production of "bad people" is sometimes too complex to accurately disperse blame or responsibility. We call people "evil" when they do "evil" things. I don't find that useful. No person has complete control over who they are. Our social responsibility should be providing relative safety for the populace and to help those that would do it harm, failing that, locking them away for the remainder of their lives.
<quoted text>
Only as far as you would feel sorry for any dangerous psychopath. If we're going to throw away empathy, there must be some qualitative threshold where that takes place. Since I'm not prepared to draw a line, I choose to treat every human as a human. Hitler and those that followed him did some of the worst things to humanity that have ever happened in recorded history. These bad things are gradually becoming less frequent as humanity progresses, but there are still many roadblocks that impede this progress. Religion is one, but I digress.
<quoted text>
Nope. My thoughts on forgiveness would take up more space than I have left.
<quoted text>
Responsibility is difficult to map. Instead of placing blame, we should work the problems. If a person has lots of "issues", they should get help, but we should also protect the public. If we can do both things at the same time, shouldn't we?
I don't feel the need to label people as monsters, or things like that, unless they've hurt me or someone I know. Then I have a hard time controlling how I would feel about a person. When I can look at things rationally, I don't see any benefits to dehumanizing people.
<quoted text>
I consider religious indoctrination a type of delusion. They knew exactly what they were doing? I don't think so. They thought a human sacrifice would magically give them a child. If that's not crazy, what is?
defo learning more here!!!!! seriously!

i understand what you're saying, maybe if i had lived in their situation i might have been a murderer too! coz i've always been very lucky to be surrounded by morals 24/7, i turned out ok, but i have other problems though coz of the way i was brought up!

but i honestly feel depressed when i hear about these things! i don't like it and i can't handle it!

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#134895 Nov 3, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>If you are going to pretend you are a authority in grammar. At the very least get it right. No, barber’s (singular) was correct. As far as my first “statement.” I don’t give a red hair rats ass.

Get on your little donkey with it’s little hat and ride off to traffic court.
"Barbers" is not singular.

Location hidden

#134896 Nov 3, 2012
_BobLoblah_ wrote:
<quoted text>04Nov12.....
.....Would you stand in front of the Leaders of Australia, UK, Ireland, Canada, The Netherlands, Sweden, France and Germany and say that to them???
Ps:....BobLoblah doesn't dink so.
Forever and Ever
BobLoblah
i would say it if i thought they did wrong! when in uni we were having discussion about england and the iraq war i said england was wrong to bomb innocent people!!

then in india a big politician came to our house and i said to him i don't associate myself with people like u and gave him a lecture! afterwards he had a word with my mum and said to her "control her tongue, she's started barking too much". lllllol the truth hurts!!!

i have said alot of truthful things about and to evil people! i'm not scared of them in that way!!!!!!i know my God is with me!!!

“Don't be so dichotomous.”

Embrace the grey.

#134897 Nov 3, 2012
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
defo learning more here!!!!! seriously!
i understand what you're saying, maybe if i had lived in their situation i might have been a murderer too! coz i've always been very lucky to be surrounded by morals 24/7, i turned out ok, but i have other problems though coz of the way i was brought up!
but i honestly feel depressed when i hear about these things! i don't like it and i can't handle it!
It's good to learn.

Whenever we recognize that there are problems in the world, we need to accurately identify these problems, find their causes and work towards ethical solutions that we think will have a positive effect. Subjective cultural values tend to get in the way of that. For that reason, I like Humanist Ethics.

Location hidden

#134898 Nov 3, 2012
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
He read it in a myth somewhere.
lol

“Thank you GOD for JESUS”

Since: Jul 07

And thank you JESUS for caring

#134899 Nov 3, 2012
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
I like chocolate.
me too.... I don't believe the Cacao tree came from the same 'organism' as the rhinoceros though :)

Location hidden

#134900 Nov 3, 2012
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
It's good to learn.
Whenever we recognize that there are problems in the world, we need to accurately identify these problems, find their causes and work towards ethical solutions that we think will have a positive effect. Subjective cultural values tend to get in the way of that. For that reason, I like Humanist Ethics.
the main problem i feel is that there isn't alot of love in the world. i really believe love is the only way this world is going to change. i think all schools really need to start teaching children to love one and another, we have to get it into kids minds at a young age so it sticks there! i went to lovely school and that is what we were always taught, u wouldn't even believe how nice the teachers and students were!

#134901 Nov 3, 2012
Mirror Mirror Face wrote:
<quoted text>You have no evidence that turtles exist 200 million years ago. You at best have evidence that turtle existed. Evidence that turtles existed, is not evidence as to when they existed. No, you forget that man's oldest so-called relative is the Jurassic rat, 195 million years old, so a rat wanted to become man too.
sorry you don't believe the scientists when they say how old turtles are....... if I have no evidence, then they flipping well don't either!!

Well Said..... good posting, and if a rat wanted to become a man, perhaps he succeeded 'cause there are some real rats in this world!!

#134902 Nov 3, 2012
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
Neither can penguins.
Did they just stop evolving and decided they were happy as they are? Would it be insulting the intelligence of a Penguin saying they had no further need to progress? Wouldn't one assume they would like to win the battle with the seals and be able to protect their young?

I do believe in adaption or extinction.....

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#134903 Nov 3, 2012
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
we don't!!!!!!! that's what i keep telling u guys, india has many races. i'm sikh from punjab we sikhs r only 20million or so in the entire world, we don't breed alot, but south indians do! and also punjab is the wealthiest state in india, so if we want to have more kids we can afford it but we don't!!! why the hell poor south indians who live in slums do, i don't know maybe coz they thick??maybe coz they evil and they think by making more kids they can sell them and make more money????
that's what i keep telling u guys eventhough we all from india we totally different we don't even get married to eachother!!
That's the same as the poor here in America. They're always the ones that have the most babies then live off the gub'ment dime.

They got no money for food, but they always seem to have money for drugs....

Pisses me off.

#134904 Nov 3, 2012
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
A bit longer than an elephant. LOL
hehehe.... what if you put the elephant in a catapult?

Location hidden

#134905 Nov 3, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
That's the same as the poor here in America. They're always the ones that have the most babies then live off the gub'ment dime.
They got no money for food, but they always seem to have money for drugs....
Pisses me off.
Exactly! there r certain races in india and different castes within sikhs that do different things. i'm not racist but every race is different and we have to say it is!

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#134906 Nov 3, 2012
Why wouldn't an atheist go to a grave site and place flowers on a family member's grave?
Serah wrote:
Just curious ~ do atheists visit grave sites? I have just come back from a long country trip, visiting 3 graves; My Grandfather's who died before I was born, my Sister, who also died before I was born, and My Mother's who died on June 9th this year, and my Stepfather, who died on 2 November (my daughters birthday) 11 years ago....
I have taken some wonderful photos, the town was where I was born, out in the North of South Australia, where it is hot and desolate (I love a Sunburned Country, A land of sweeping plains.. a poem that is one of my favourites) and it was such a spiritual trip and meant so much, that it got me to thinking do Atheists also get much from visiting their loved ones who have passed over?
It wouldn't make any sense if you do go, because in reality you would be visiting (in your minds) nothing...... but then, I don't believe you Pray either, but do believe "Oh God" or "Oh my God" pops into your heads often and is also said often ~ ahhh; I am just reminiscing and my thoughts are wandering a touch :)
Still curious though!

“Don't be so dichotomous.”

Embrace the grey.

#134907 Nov 3, 2012
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
the main problem i feel is that there isn't alot of love in the world. i really believe love is the only way this world is going to change. i think all schools really need to start teaching children to love one and another, we have to get it into kids minds at a young age so it sticks there! i went to lovely school and that is what we were always taught, u wouldn't even believe how nice the teachers and students were!
So you've recognized a problem. Many people lack empathy and a healthy respect for life. This will be more prevalent in areas stricken by poverty and political instability. It all boils down to access to resources of various kinds. One resource is good parents. Good parents come from good societies. Good societies require natural resources and a populace educated well enough to recognize the need for a representative government. Another resource we need is information. Knowing the history of humans informs us on what was successful and what wasn't. If children must work in order to survive, they aren't learning about history. You can see how important resources are in determining the performance of a society. Solving this problem of a lack of empathy (you say love) in people must in some way start with assessing available resources and looking for ways to increase access to them.

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#134908 Nov 3, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
When you go to a business meeting. How do you get up to the table? Do you use a barbers chair and a booster?
What has any of that got to do with religion or vices?

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#134909 Nov 3, 2012
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>Did they just stop evolving and decided they were happy as they are? Would it be insulting the intelligence of a Penguin saying they had no further need to progress? Wouldn't one assume they would like to win the battle with the seals and be able to protect their young?
I do believe in adaption or extinction.....
The penguin is easy to explain, under the right conditions, cormorants could eventually loose their flight and become better adapted to aquatic life and eventually become peguin like.

There is no need for penguins to fly, just like elephants. Had the encroachment of humans been slower, in a few thousand years the fauna of Africa could have become much smaller. There were pigmy elephants and mammoths in islands where the food supply was limited. The isolation was gradual enough to slect out larged ones for smalleer and smaller ones.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#134910 Nov 3, 2012
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>and of course you do know why ~ even though everything 'sprung' from the same origins, according to some, life spread out in amazing degrees... didn't it?
Why didn't an elephant grow wings and fly and why did birds?
I knew it! You have no idea why things need wings to fly!

Hint: It's not angels holding things to the planet.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#134911 Nov 3, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I won't even bother to point out all your mistakes in this post.
And your continued racist references are beneath dignity.
\

Get on your little donkey Muchacho, ride on.

Southern Illinois

#134912 Nov 3, 2012
<quoted text>It has been known for months. Ut was first noticed that they always showed up at the same time, within minutes. Then they showed personna traits in their syntax and then Catcher started doing the same Oscar Wilde rhyme thing. If Happy Lesbo is on the PTAG thread, then Catcher is there and when HL goes to the gay threads after over a year o not being there, in pops Catcher. They all tried to use you, including Hiding, because they like to try to play Christians against one another. You are smart, because you figured it out. When they could not use you, they turned on you.
God Bless Always
Thank you so much for the information.[tipping hat].

Southern Illinois

#134913 Nov 3, 2012
<quoted text>Lesbo also does the grammar correction thing, whenever she can not beat a poster in debate. Good job, she/they/it are whipped and defeated.
Bless you, thank you so very much.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 4 min Michael 542,733
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 4 min Osama Bin Laden 118,208
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 4 min well 95,518
chat with demi lovato 112 (the real official de... (Jan '09) 5 min DEMI Lovato 1,855
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 6 min nanoanomaly 739,552
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 7 min lil whispers 601,119
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 12 min Dr_Zorderz 259,578
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 27 min Lyndi 173,702

Top Stories People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••