Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258451 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#134907 Nov 3, 2012
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
the main problem i feel is that there isn't alot of love in the world. i really believe love is the only way this world is going to change. i think all schools really need to start teaching children to love one and another, we have to get it into kids minds at a young age so it sticks there! i went to lovely school and that is what we were always taught, u wouldn't even believe how nice the teachers and students were!
So you've recognized a problem. Many people lack empathy and a healthy respect for life. This will be more prevalent in areas stricken by poverty and political instability. It all boils down to access to resources of various kinds. One resource is good parents. Good parents come from good societies. Good societies require natural resources and a populace educated well enough to recognize the need for a representative government. Another resource we need is information. Knowing the history of humans informs us on what was successful and what wasn't. If children must work in order to survive, they aren't learning about history. You can see how important resources are in determining the performance of a society. Solving this problem of a lack of empathy (you say love) in people must in some way start with assessing available resources and looking for ways to increase access to them.

Richardfs

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#134908 Nov 3, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
When you go to a business meeting. How do you get up to the table? Do you use a barbers chair and a booster?
What has any of that got to do with religion or vices?

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#134909 Nov 3, 2012
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>Did they just stop evolving and decided they were happy as they are? Would it be insulting the intelligence of a Penguin saying they had no further need to progress? Wouldn't one assume they would like to win the battle with the seals and be able to protect their young?
I do believe in adaption or extinction.....
The penguin is easy to explain, under the right conditions, cormorants could eventually loose their flight and become better adapted to aquatic life and eventually become peguin like.

There is no need for penguins to fly, just like elephants. Had the encroachment of humans been slower, in a few thousand years the fauna of Africa could have become much smaller. There were pigmy elephants and mammoths in islands where the food supply was limited. The isolation was gradual enough to slect out larged ones for smalleer and smaller ones.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#134910 Nov 3, 2012
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>and of course you do know why ~ even though everything 'sprung' from the same origins, according to some, life spread out in amazing degrees... didn't it?
Why didn't an elephant grow wings and fly and why did birds?
I knew it! You have no idea why things need wings to fly!

Hint: It's not angels holding things to the planet.

Eagle12

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#134911 Nov 3, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I won't even bother to point out all your mistakes in this post.
And your continued racist references are beneath dignity.
\

Get on your little donkey Muchacho, ride on.

Eagle12

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#134912 Nov 3, 2012
Mirror Mirror Face wrote:
<quoted text>It has been known for months. Ut was first noticed that they always showed up at the same time, within minutes. Then they showed personna traits in their syntax and then Catcher started doing the same Oscar Wilde rhyme thing. If Happy Lesbo is on the PTAG thread, then Catcher is there and when HL goes to the gay threads after over a year o not being there, in pops Catcher. They all tried to use you, including Hiding, because they like to try to play Christians against one another. You are smart, because you figured it out. When they could not use you, they turned on you.
God Bless Always
Thank you so much for the information.[tipping hat].

Eagle12

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#134913 Nov 3, 2012
Mirror Mirror Face wrote:
<quoted text>Lesbo also does the grammar correction thing, whenever she can not beat a poster in debate. Good job, she/they/it are whipped and defeated.
Bless you, thank you so very much.

Eagle12

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#134914 Nov 3, 2012
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
"Barbers" is not singular.
Who said it was butthead?

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#134915 Nov 3, 2012
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
So you've recognized a problem. Many people lack empathy and a healthy respect for life. This will be more prevalent in areas stricken by poverty and political instability. It all boils down to access to resources of various kinds. One resource is good parents. Good parents come from good societies. Good societies require natural resources and a populace educated well enough to recognize the need for a representative government. Another resource we need is information. Knowing the history of humans informs us on what was successful and what wasn't. If children must work in order to survive, they aren't learning about history. You can see how important resources are in determining the performance of a society. Solving this problem of a lack of empathy (you say love) in people must in some way start with assessing available resources and looking for ways to increase access to them.
Yes, I agree with most of what you said, but I think this problem has nothing to do with poverty etc because it's not the poor people who are bombing innocent children in foreign countries, that's just one example. This 'disease' doesn't discriminate between race, class, age, sex etc....I think everybody needs to learn empathy/love.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#134916 Nov 3, 2012
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>
The arrogance of man(kind)! What pressures are on elephants to change?? How about the way they were slaughtered for the ivory to start with? Why is it that only man(kind) could make guns to kill the animals, even though we evolved from the same origins? Why hasn't any other living being been as awful as man(kind) in their useless killing sprees?
Look at what has been achieved in the last 200 years in the life of man(kind) and look what has been achieved in the lives of animals over millions of years and again, look at the arrogance of man(kind) thinking only man(kind) had the need to evolve into what is on life today.
You are not very knowledgeable on the subject and I don't want to sit here and beat you up over it.

Here is a very simple way to explain evolution. If you really needed a job and the only job out there was bagging groceries, what would you do? You would learn to bag groceries or die from starvation.

Some time later, a job as a rocket scientist opens up and your bagging job ends. Can you be a rocket scientist? No, so you are in trouble. Jenny could, so she took the job and lived on.

Right before you die, you find a job as a cashier! Lucky for you, you can learn that job and you survive another day.

Unfortunately, evolution takes a very long time, not 200 years.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#134917 Nov 3, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
In your particular example I would say just send the money.
Why can't you answer the questions asked? All that you had to say was, "Prayers do not work, you have to use you noggin."

Eagle12

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#134918 Nov 3, 2012
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
What has any of that got to do with religion or vices?
Rich you should know by now that I'm picking on you because one you are a good sport, two you're an as**ole, three you're fu**ed up.

It has nothing to do with religion or vices. It has everything to do with you being a munchkin. You’re like a chew toy for a German Shepherd. That Sir is why I love you so much and you take it so well.

Maybe one day we can sit down and have a cup of coffee and laugh about it.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#134919 Nov 3, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
I knew it! You have no idea why things need wings to fly!
Hint: It's not angels holding things to the planet.
lllol

Hey Kitten! But why do birds even need to exist? You said they have wings for a reason (to fly) and i'm sure they need to fly for a reason! so why do they exist then? could you give me a reason?

Thanks!

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#134920 Nov 3, 2012
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I agree with most of what you said, but I think this problem has nothing to do with poverty etc because it's not the poor people who are bombing innocent children in foreign countries, that's just one example. This 'disease' doesn't discriminate between race, class, age, sex etc....I think everybody needs to learn empathy/love.
We can either generalize and look at the larger picture, or examine instances on a case by case basis.

In general, poverty is a primary cause of unethical behavior. If we are concerned with decreasing unethical behavior, one of the ways to make systematic improvements is to decrease poverty. But that's just one piece in a huge complex puzzle.

Humanity would be better off if everyone was guided and shown the importance of empathy. Here's your homework. How do we do that?

“What?”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#134921 Nov 3, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
That's the same as the poor here in America. They're always the ones that have the most babies then live off the gub'ment dime.
They got no money for food, but they always seem to have money for drugs....
Pisses me off.
Vote for Obama. Same sex marriages usually don't produce babies. Glad to have you aboard, RR.

Eagle12

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#134922 Nov 3, 2012
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Why can't you answer the questions asked? All that you had to say was, "Prayers do not work, you have to use you noggin."
What I said, if you will pull your head out of your a** and listen.

Prayers will not work for you, a Infidel.

Spray some WD-40 on that squeaky wheel chair. Soak those brakes down too. Then take a ride down a steep hill and try em out.

Since: Sep 10

Hermosa Beach, CA

#134923 Nov 3, 2012
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I agree with most of what you said, but I think this problem has nothing to do with poverty etc because it's not the poor people who are bombing innocent children in foreign countries, that's just one example. This 'disease' doesn't discriminate between race, class, age, sex etc....I think everybody needs to learn empathy/love.
I sense somebody hidingbehindyou.

Since: Sep 10

Hermosa Beach, CA

#134924 Nov 3, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Rich you should know by now that I'm picking on you because one you are a good sport, two you're an as**ole, three you're fu**ed up.
It has nothing to do with religion or vices. It has everything to do with you being a munchkin. You’re like a chew toy for a German Shepherd. That Sir is why I love you so much and you take it so well.
Maybe one day we can sit down and have a cup of coffee and laugh about it.
I'd rather spend two weeks in Tegucigalpa.

Since: Mar 11

Scottsburg, IN

#134925 Nov 3, 2012
Gosh. I am sure you are a sweet lady but you are really making yourself look stupid here. Perhaps trolling on the atheist forum isn't such a good idea for you. Naive is being generous in describing you.
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>Do you only mourn your lost loved ones at the grave site? Lord knows, when I talk about my Mother and our last hours together, I cry..... even in the office. Never thought of the grave site as the mourning site, I thought of it as more the burying of the vessel, but there you go, you have totally misunderstood my reckoning. Probably 'cause I can't fathom lack of Faith. Period.
The point to in the clip is that the animals go back to that tree every year, when the fruit is ripe, and that they have inbuilt sense of time. To me, that says much about GOD and our DNA, but it went totally over your head.
Probably because you have little faith, and see things differently than I do?

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#134926 Nov 3, 2012
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
We can either generalize and look at the larger picture, or examine instances on a case by case basis.
In general, poverty is a primary cause of unethical behavior. If we are concerned with decreasing unethical behavior, one of the ways to make systematic improvements is to decrease poverty. But that's just one piece in a huge complex puzzle.
Humanity would be better off if everyone was guided and shown the importance of empathy. Here's your homework. How do we do that?
nooooooo! sir, don't give me more homework, i'm already stuck on my maths one! lol

believing in santa, that's the only thing i can think of! i love him!!! lol. I don't think we can change the world, but we can try to be good ourselves and try to educate our family and children etc so that they also become good!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 2 min Student 46,201
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 7 min ROCCO 110,673
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 54 min Drumpf Disaster 253
Lido Theater, Dallas (Mar '12) 1 hr Marie 478
Why does shopping feel so good? 1 hr humble brother 3
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 1 hr waaaasuuuup brother 982,119
----*PUBLIC REBUKE to: --TV Preachers, POPE---- 2 hr stirringYTube 1
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 2 hr PRES DONALD TRUMP 675,907
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 3 hr uIDIOTRACEMAKEWOR... 184,773
More from around the web