Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258040 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Thank you GOD for JESUS”

Since: Jul 07

And thank you JESUS for caring

#134899 Nov 3, 2012
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
I like chocolate.
me too.... I don't believe the Cacao tree came from the same 'organism' as the rhinoceros though :)

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#134900 Nov 3, 2012
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
It's good to learn.
Whenever we recognize that there are problems in the world, we need to accurately identify these problems, find their causes and work towards ethical solutions that we think will have a positive effect. Subjective cultural values tend to get in the way of that. For that reason, I like Humanist Ethics.
the main problem i feel is that there isn't alot of love in the world. i really believe love is the only way this world is going to change. i think all schools really need to start teaching children to love one and another, we have to get it into kids minds at a young age so it sticks there! i went to lovely school and that is what we were always taught, u wouldn't even believe how nice the teachers and students were!

#134901 Nov 3, 2012
Mirror Mirror Face wrote:
<quoted text>You have no evidence that turtles exist 200 million years ago. You at best have evidence that turtle existed. Evidence that turtles existed, is not evidence as to when they existed. No, you forget that man's oldest so-called relative is the Jurassic rat, 195 million years old, so a rat wanted to become man too.
sorry you don't believe the scientists when they say how old turtles are....... if I have no evidence, then they flipping well don't either!!

Well Said..... good posting, and if a rat wanted to become a man, perhaps he succeeded 'cause there are some real rats in this world!!

#134902 Nov 3, 2012
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
Neither can penguins.
Did they just stop evolving and decided they were happy as they are? Would it be insulting the intelligence of a Penguin saying they had no further need to progress? Wouldn't one assume they would like to win the battle with the seals and be able to protect their young?

I do believe in adaption or extinction.....

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#134903 Nov 3, 2012
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
we don't!!!!!!! that's what i keep telling u guys, india has many races. i'm sikh from punjab we sikhs r only 20million or so in the entire world, we don't breed alot, but south indians do! and also punjab is the wealthiest state in india, so if we want to have more kids we can afford it but we don't!!! why the hell poor south indians who live in slums do, i don't know maybe coz they thick??maybe coz they evil and they think by making more kids they can sell them and make more money????
that's what i keep telling u guys eventhough we all from india we totally different we don't even get married to eachother!!
That's the same as the poor here in America. They're always the ones that have the most babies then live off the gub'ment dime.

They got no money for food, but they always seem to have money for drugs....

Pisses me off.

#134904 Nov 3, 2012
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
A bit longer than an elephant. LOL
hehehe.... what if you put the elephant in a catapult?

Location hidden

#134905 Nov 3, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
That's the same as the poor here in America. They're always the ones that have the most babies then live off the gub'ment dime.
They got no money for food, but they always seem to have money for drugs....
Pisses me off.
Exactly! there r certain races in india and different castes within sikhs that do different things. i'm not racist but every race is different and we have to say it is!

Since: Mar 11

Scottsburg, IN

#134906 Nov 3, 2012
Why wouldn't an atheist go to a grave site and place flowers on a family member's grave?
Serah wrote:
Just curious ~ do atheists visit grave sites? I have just come back from a long country trip, visiting 3 graves; My Grandfather's who died before I was born, my Sister, who also died before I was born, and My Mother's who died on June 9th this year, and my Stepfather, who died on 2 November (my daughters birthday) 11 years ago....
I have taken some wonderful photos, the town was where I was born, out in the North of South Australia, where it is hot and desolate (I love a Sunburned Country, A land of sweeping plains.. a poem that is one of my favourites) and it was such a spiritual trip and meant so much, that it got me to thinking do Atheists also get much from visiting their loved ones who have passed over?
It wouldn't make any sense if you do go, because in reality you would be visiting (in your minds) nothing...... but then, I don't believe you Pray either, but do believe "Oh God" or "Oh my God" pops into your heads often and is also said often ~ ahhh; I am just reminiscing and my thoughts are wandering a touch :)
Still curious though!

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#134907 Nov 3, 2012
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
the main problem i feel is that there isn't alot of love in the world. i really believe love is the only way this world is going to change. i think all schools really need to start teaching children to love one and another, we have to get it into kids minds at a young age so it sticks there! i went to lovely school and that is what we were always taught, u wouldn't even believe how nice the teachers and students were!
So you've recognized a problem. Many people lack empathy and a healthy respect for life. This will be more prevalent in areas stricken by poverty and political instability. It all boils down to access to resources of various kinds. One resource is good parents. Good parents come from good societies. Good societies require natural resources and a populace educated well enough to recognize the need for a representative government. Another resource we need is information. Knowing the history of humans informs us on what was successful and what wasn't. If children must work in order to survive, they aren't learning about history. You can see how important resources are in determining the performance of a society. Solving this problem of a lack of empathy (you say love) in people must in some way start with assessing available resources and looking for ways to increase access to them.

Richardfs

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#134908 Nov 3, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
When you go to a business meeting. How do you get up to the table? Do you use a barbers chair and a booster?
What has any of that got to do with religion or vices?

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#134909 Nov 3, 2012
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>Did they just stop evolving and decided they were happy as they are? Would it be insulting the intelligence of a Penguin saying they had no further need to progress? Wouldn't one assume they would like to win the battle with the seals and be able to protect their young?
I do believe in adaption or extinction.....
The penguin is easy to explain, under the right conditions, cormorants could eventually loose their flight and become better adapted to aquatic life and eventually become peguin like.

There is no need for penguins to fly, just like elephants. Had the encroachment of humans been slower, in a few thousand years the fauna of Africa could have become much smaller. There were pigmy elephants and mammoths in islands where the food supply was limited. The isolation was gradual enough to slect out larged ones for smalleer and smaller ones.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#134910 Nov 3, 2012
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>and of course you do know why ~ even though everything 'sprung' from the same origins, according to some, life spread out in amazing degrees... didn't it?
Why didn't an elephant grow wings and fly and why did birds?
I knew it! You have no idea why things need wings to fly!

Hint: It's not angels holding things to the planet.

Eagle12

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#134911 Nov 3, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I won't even bother to point out all your mistakes in this post.
And your continued racist references are beneath dignity.
\

Get on your little donkey Muchacho, ride on.

Eagle12

Southern Illinois

#134912 Nov 3, 2012
<quoted text>It has been known for months. Ut was first noticed that they always showed up at the same time, within minutes. Then they showed personna traits in their syntax and then Catcher started doing the same Oscar Wilde rhyme thing. If Happy Lesbo is on the PTAG thread, then Catcher is there and when HL goes to the gay threads after over a year o not being there, in pops Catcher. They all tried to use you, including Hiding, because they like to try to play Christians against one another. You are smart, because you figured it out. When they could not use you, they turned on you.
God Bless Always
Thank you so much for the information.[tipping hat].

Eagle12

Southern Illinois

#134913 Nov 3, 2012
<quoted text>Lesbo also does the grammar correction thing, whenever she can not beat a poster in debate. Good job, she/they/it are whipped and defeated.
Bless you, thank you so very much.

Eagle12

Southern Illinois

#134914 Nov 3, 2012
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
"Barbers" is not singular.
Who said it was butthead?

Location hidden

#134915 Nov 3, 2012
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
So you've recognized a problem. Many people lack empathy and a healthy respect for life. This will be more prevalent in areas stricken by poverty and political instability. It all boils down to access to resources of various kinds. One resource is good parents. Good parents come from good societies. Good societies require natural resources and a populace educated well enough to recognize the need for a representative government. Another resource we need is information. Knowing the history of humans informs us on what was successful and what wasn't. If children must work in order to survive, they aren't learning about history. You can see how important resources are in determining the performance of a society. Solving this problem of a lack of empathy (you say love) in people must in some way start with assessing available resources and looking for ways to increase access to them.
Yes, I agree with most of what you said, but I think this problem has nothing to do with poverty etc because it's not the poor people who are bombing innocent children in foreign countries, that's just one example. This 'disease' doesn't discriminate between race, class, age, sex etc....I think everybody needs to learn empathy/love.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#134916 Nov 3, 2012
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>
The arrogance of man(kind)! What pressures are on elephants to change?? How about the way they were slaughtered for the ivory to start with? Why is it that only man(kind) could make guns to kill the animals, even though we evolved from the same origins? Why hasn't any other living being been as awful as man(kind) in their useless killing sprees?
Look at what has been achieved in the last 200 years in the life of man(kind) and look what has been achieved in the lives of animals over millions of years and again, look at the arrogance of man(kind) thinking only man(kind) had the need to evolve into what is on life today.
You are not very knowledgeable on the subject and I don't want to sit here and beat you up over it.

Here is a very simple way to explain evolution. If you really needed a job and the only job out there was bagging groceries, what would you do? You would learn to bag groceries or die from starvation.

Some time later, a job as a rocket scientist opens up and your bagging job ends. Can you be a rocket scientist? No, so you are in trouble. Jenny could, so she took the job and lived on.

Right before you die, you find a job as a cashier! Lucky for you, you can learn that job and you survive another day.

Unfortunately, evolution takes a very long time, not 200 years.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#134917 Nov 3, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
In your particular example I would say just send the money.
Why can't you answer the questions asked? All that you had to say was, "Prayers do not work, you have to use you noggin."

Eagle12

Southern Illinois

#134918 Nov 3, 2012
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
What has any of that got to do with religion or vices?
Rich you should know by now that I'm picking on you because one you are a good sport, two you're an as**ole, three you're fu**ed up.

It has nothing to do with religion or vices. It has everything to do with you being a munchkin. YouÂ’re like a chew toy for a German Shepherd. That Sir is why I love you so much and you take it so well.

Maybe one day we can sit down and have a cup of coffee and laugh about it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 3 min hojo 665,307
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 7 min Aura Mytha 88,110
Secular Humanism VS Christianity 7 min USAUSAUSA 124
News Medicare looms over Trump-Ryan alliance 11 min Taco-smacko 2
The Future of Politics in America 14 min Buck Crick 222
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 14 min New Age Spiritual... 977,292
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 18 min LAWEST100 184,720
Christians cannot debate with ATHEISTS 30 min Buck Crick 551
More from around the web