Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258482 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#131682 Oct 22, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
http://healthland.time.com/201 2/10/22/pms-is-a-myth-new-stud y/?hpt=hp_t3
More revision and correction in science.
Good night.
Isn't revision a good thing?

No, better to pick a belief and stick with it forever, right?

Just Results

“Jesus is Love”

Since: Jul 12

Hutchinson, MN

#131683 Oct 22, 2012
uIDIOTRACESMAKEWORLDPEACE wrote:
Thomas Jefferson
"Christianity is the most perverted system that ever shone on man.... perverted into an engine for enslaving mankind ... a mere contrivance [for the clergy] to filch wealth and power to themselves."
Adams and Jefferson are in Hell.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#131684 Oct 22, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Not Atheism Doctor but militant Atheism. Not every Atheist is militant and embraces extreme hatred. My Father was a Atheist. A good peace loving man who would never degrade someone because of their faith.
I’m talking about militant Atheist when I make the comparison to Neo Nazis. When the Nazis started taking power in Germany. They began to harass the Jews first verbally. Then boycotting their business. Then personal harassment came through beatings.
Business were then stoned and burned. Followed by segregation. Finally millions were gassed to death and incinerated.
I see the hatred coming from militant atheist. The open bigotry and harassment. Today we have the intranet. They didn’t have that in WW II. If they did the Jews would have first been harassed there by the Nazis.
Bigotry is bigotry and hatred is hatred and both flow freely in the Neo Nazis ranks and in militant atheist ranks.
In your opinion exactly what constitutes a MILITANT ATHEIST? Can you name some of them and the actions they have taken that you consider to be "militant"? How does this "harassment" manifest itself? Who is being harassed and by whom?

Still having a hard time grasping the connection between what the Nazis did to the Jews, and what you maintain militant Atheists are doing.

Eagle12

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#131685 Oct 22, 2012
Tide with Beach wrote:
There is no such thing as militant atheism. How can you be militant about atheism? Can you be militant about not driving a car? Can you be a militant pedestrian?
What about a platoon marching? Aren't they militant pedestrians? Nope. That's a categorical error.
Can atheists be militant? Certainly. They just can't be militant about atheism.
The belief that there is something called militant atheism is either a position from ignorance about the meanings of these words, or a paranoid delusion.
http://www.conservapedia.com/Militant_atheism

Militant atheism is a term applied to atheism which is hostile towards religion. Militant atheists have a desire to propagate the doctrine, and differ from moderate atheists because they hold religion to be harmful. Militant atheism was an integral part of the materialism of Marxism-Leninism,and significant in the French Revolution, atheist states such as the Soviet Union, and Great Proletarian Cultural Revolution.The term has also been applied to political thinkers. Recently the term militant atheist has been used to describe the New Atheism movement, which is characterized by the belief that religion "should not simply be tolerated but should be countered, criticized and exposed by rational argument wherever its influence arises."

Joseph Stalin, the Premier of the Soviet Union from 6 May 1941 to 5 March 1953, founded the League of Militant Atheists, whose chief aim was to propagate militant atheism and eradicate religion.

British philosopher Julian Baggini postulates an atheistic active hostility to religion as militant and says hostility "requires more than just strong disagreement with religion – it requires something verging on hatred and is characterized by a desire to wipe out all forms of religious belief."Militant atheists, Baggini continues, "tend to make one or both of two claims that moderate atheists do not. The first is that religion is demonstrably false or nonsense, and the second is that it is usually or always harmful." According to Baggini, the "too-zealous" militant atheism found in the Soviet Union was characterized by thinking the best way to counter religion was "by oppression and making atheism the official state credo."

As such, philosopher Kerry S. Walters contends that militant atheism differs from moderate atheism because it sees belief in God as pernicious.In the same vein, militant atheism, according to theologian Karl Rahner, regards itself as a doctrine to be propagated for the happiness of mankind and combats every religion as a harmful aberration; "militant" atheism differs from the philosophy of "theoretical" atheism, which he states, may be tolerant and deeply concerned.

The theological roots of militant atheism can be found in thought of Friedrich Schleiermacher, Leo Strauss, Ludwig Feuerbach, as well as in Karl Marx's and Friedrich Engels's critique of religion. Under régimes which espouse militant atheism, such as Albania under Enver Hoxha and Cambodia under the Khmer Rouge, in which traditional religion was banned, when the wave of militant atheism passes, traditional religion may reappear with undiminished strength when conditions allow for the expression of grassroots identities.

Location hidden

#131686 Oct 22, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I’m angry because militant atheist are taking their cue from Neo Nazi’s. They consider themselves a superior race. Belittling and attacking people of faith as being sub human. Incapable of appreciating science and research.
Hurling stones and protesting while demeaning Christianity. Wanting to mark the Christians with the Star of David. Chastise and segregate them from society. Load them up on trains headed for Auschwitz-Birkenau and Be&#322;&#380;ec.
Women and children, every person of faith. Hauled in trains to the place of the ultimate solution. Ah, the strong arm of militant atheism has come to power. Millions chanting in a satanic cult like ritual. Raising their fist shouting,“ATHEIST POWER, ATHEIST POWER.”
Property seized, homes taken, wealth confiscated and all distributed among the elitist. Atheist will rule the world and the scum will be only a memory. Children will be indoctrinated and made to believe there is no God.
Yes, let the anger and hate manifest itself. As you dream of the elimination and genocide of people of faith.“ATHEIST POWER, ATHEIST POWER, ATHEIST POWER ………...”
You are bordering on delusions of persecution.
uIDIOTRACESMAKEW ORLDPEACE

United States

#131687 Oct 22, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
You got it; I'm with you.
They and their minions are one ruining the US and world with wars, caused array of dissensions among nations...!

Eagle12

Southern Illinois

#131688 Oct 22, 2012
Militant Atheism is real and they promote hatred and bigotry.

Maybe you don’t see yourself as a militant atheist and maybe your not.

One thing for sure, there is militant atheist operating on this thread.

We can talk more about this tomorrow.

United States

#131689 Oct 22, 2012
Senator George Hoar denunciating President Theodore Roosevelt for his role in the Spanish-American war and bloodletting in the Philippines - on the floor of the US Senate in May of 1902

You have sacrificed nearly ten thousand American lives—the flower of our youth. You have devastated provinces. You have slain uncounted thousands of the people you desire to benefit. You have established reconcentration camps. Your generals are coming home from their harvest bringing sheaves with them, in the shape of other thousands of sick and wounded and insane to drag out miserable lives, wrecked in body and mind. You make the American flag in the eyes of a numerous people the emblem of sacrilege in Christian churches, and of the burning of human dwellings, and of the horror of the water torture.

Eagle12

Southern Illinois

#131690 Oct 22, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>You are bordering on delusions of persecution.
I wonder if they told that to the Jews while they were beating them.

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#131691 Oct 22, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
John 10:27
King James Version (KJV)
27. My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:
Where does it say that Jesus taught it was ok to murder the Jews and burn their bodies?
I don't know. Should I? I'm not a Nazi. Neither am I Christian. Where does it say that Jesus taught it was ok to deny legal marriage licenses to same sex couples? You'll be judged by future Christians for this, just like you judge the Nazis. Does that even register for you? Do you comprehend what I'm saying?
Eagle12 wrote:
Luke 6:46
King James Version (KJV)
46 And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?
Did the Nazis do what Jesus taught?
I'm assuming that they believed he was real, and accepted his sacrifice. If they claim to be Christian, and knew what it took to become Christian, they were as Christian as anyone can be.

Do you always do what Jesus taught? If the average Nazi sin count is 1,200,000 sins, what is your sin count? At what threshold do you, Eagle, decide what a True Christian is?
Eagle12 wrote:
John 10: 26, 27
26 But ye believe not, because ye are not of my sheep, as I said unto you.
27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:
1 Peter 4:17
For the time is come that judgment must begin at the house of God: and if it first begin at us, what shall the end be of them that obey not the gospel of God?
Christianity requires obedience to Gods word.
Then, I'm sorry Eagle, you're not a Christian.
Eagle12 wrote:
Luke 9:23
And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me.
Where does it say in the Bible to follow Hitler to genocide.
I have to blame the methods employed by religion. It really can't be said that these methods are corrupted by bad men. Every use is functionally the same. We attach value judgements to the effects these methods produce, but we should look further into why these methods produce "bad" effects so easily.

Location hidden

#131692 Oct 22, 2012
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
<3
I think your body went into a mode of operation where certain natural processes, like peeing, are suspended. Sensations, at least, can and are suspended in life threatening situations. I suspect it's a survival mechanism.
Example: You're having sex with a woman, and her husband walks in carrying a shotgun. For most people, they will immediately lose interest in the sex in favor of navigating safely out of the possibly dangerous situation.
I was under the impression that in a survival situation, you don't lose your ability to pee, but rather lose your ability to control your bladder, which is why people sometimes urinate when they are terrified.

Eagle12

Southern Illinois

#131693 Oct 22, 2012
The Free Exercise Clause is the accompanying clause with the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment to the United States Constitution. The Establishment Clause and the Free Exercise Clause together read:

“

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof...

”

In 1878, the Supreme Court was first called to interpret the extent of the Free Exercise Clause in Reynolds v. United States, as related to the prosecution of polygamy under federal law. The Supreme Court upheld Reynolds' conviction for bigamy, deciding that to do otherwise would provide constitutional protection for a gamut of religious beliefs, including those as extreme as human sacrifice. The Court said (at page 162): "Congress cannot pass a law for the government of the Territory which shall prohibit the free exercise of religion. The first amendment to the Constitution expressly forbids such legislation."

“ad victoriam”

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#131694 Oct 22, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Militant atheism is a term applied to atheism which is hostile towards religion. Militant atheists have a desire to propagate the doctrine, and differ from moderate atheists because they hold religion to be harmful. Militant atheism was an integral part of the materialism of Marxism-Leninism,and significant in the French Revolution, atheist states such as the Soviet Union, and Great Proletarian Cultural Revolution.The term has also been applied to political thinkers. Recently the term militant atheist has been used to describe the New Atheism movement, which is characterized by the belief that religion "should not simply be tolerated but should be countered, criticized and exposed by rational argument wherever its influence arises."
Joseph Stalin, the Premier of the Soviet Union from 6 May 1941 to 5 March 1953, founded the League of Militant Atheists, whose chief aim was to propagate militant atheism and eradicate religion.
British philosopher Julian Baggini postulates an atheistic active hostility to religion as militant and says hostility "requires more than just strong disagreement with religion – it requires something verging on hatred and is characterized by a desire to wipe out all forms of religious belief."Militant atheists, Baggini continues, "tend to make one or both of two claims that moderate atheists do not. The first is that religion is demonstrably false or nonsense, and the second is that it is usually or always harmful." According to Baggini, the "too-zealous" militant atheism found in the Soviet Union was characterized by thinking the best way to counter religion was "by oppression and making atheism the official state credo."
As such, philosopher Kerry S. Walters contends that militant atheism differs from moderate atheism because it sees belief in God as pernicious.In the same vein, militant atheism, according to theologian Karl Rahner, regards itself as a doctrine to be propagated for the happiness of mankind and combats every religion as a harmful aberration; "militant" atheism differs from the philosophy of "theoretical" atheism, which he states, may be tolerant and deeply concerned.
The theological roots of militant atheism can be found in thought of Friedrich Schleiermacher, Leo Strauss, Ludwig Feuerbach, as well as in Karl Marx's and Friedrich Engels's critique of religion. Under régimes which espouse militant atheism, such as Albania under Enver Hoxha and Cambodia under the Khmer Rouge, in which traditional religion was banned, when the wave of militant atheism passes, traditional religion may reappear with undiminished strength when conditions allow for the expression of grassroots identities.

Conservapedia is right wing religious propaganda , I'm sure you wouldn't recognize it as such. But the people who's opinion are not biased toward what it says sure do. In short it defines things exactly how right wing Christians want it to say.

"Conservapedia is an English-language wiki encyclopedia project written from a self-described American conservative, Christian, and Young Earth Creationist point of view."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conservapedia

Would you expect any agnostic or atheist to agree with it?

United States

#131695 Oct 22, 2012
Just Results wrote:
<quoted text>
Adams and Jefferson are in Hell.
both are good men and with morals conscience and empathy for sanctity of human life; they don't want to see wars brought on the world and AMerica. The US war party (Neocons) and right wing radicals Xtain Coalition in the US military industrail complex and the Xtain fundies had divided Americans into camps and to war and world to war. The US corrupted in power had brought hell upon Americans and world masses.

United States

#131696 Oct 22, 2012
theologian Ronald J. Sider in 'The Scandal of the Evangelical Conscience'

Conservatives Without Conscience
by John Dean
Penguin Books, 2006, p62

Whether the issue is divorce, materialism, sexual promiscuity', racism, physical abuse in marriage, or neglect of a biblical world view, the polling data point to widespread, blatant disobedience of clear biblical moral demands on the part of people who allegedly are evangelical, born-again Christians.

Location hidden

#131697 Oct 22, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, Conservapedia? Really? Besides being wrong, it's also propaganda. You shame yourself by using it.

This is a categorical error. Atheists who oppose theism, are anti-theists. It's this label that sets them apart from atheists who are not anti-theistic. Since this is also the point where an atheist would want to join an organization with the goal of promoting anti-theistic criticisms, you should refer to them in group form, as anti-theists.

Unless you also think they should be called Militant Primates, and Militant Carbon Based Lifeforms.

Location hidden

#131698 Oct 22, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I wonder if they told that to the Jews while they were beating them.
Dude, what is wrong with you? Have any atheists in this country ever rounded up christians and killed them? No one wants that. You have deluded yourself into thinking that it's you and your christian brothers in arms against the world, when in fact you belong to the dominant group, both politically and culturally, in the US.

There is nothing wrong with criticizing religion. There is nothing wrong with pointing out flaws, contradictions, and hypocrisies in organized religion. You say that an atheist is militant if they try to "spread his or her ideology," when in fact a central tenet of christianity is to spread it to as many people as possible. You are being a hypocrite. If christians are free to try and convert people to their belief, then atheists should be equally free to do the same. The thing is, you *know* that you are right and that atheists are wrong, and you are bigoted against atheists, so you feel persecuted and wronged when you hear about atheists being "uppity," not knowing their place and trying to "convert" people. In point of fact, not many atheists go around actively looking for converts, which is not something I can say about most religious organizations. If anything, you might see an atheist encouraging people to take a critical look at their religion and think for themselves, and that is absolutely not persecution. We are the minority in this country; this society is totally permeated with christianity and it's trappings, and you cry foul when one of suggests that maybe we shouldn't live in a society that teeters on the edge of theocracy.

Location hidden

#131699 Oct 22, 2012
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
This does make sense. An anti-theist has a direction to be militant about. I still don't know of any truly militant anti-theist group.
"Militant" implies the use of force, or the threat of force. Organizations that work within law, use diplomacy, are not militant.
Exactly. Christians want to call any atheist that "doesn't know their place" a militant atheist. Atheists get called militant for simply talking about their beliefs and for suggesting that other people take a critical look at religion.

Location hidden

#131700 Oct 22, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>I was under the impression that in a survival situation, you don't lose your ability to pee, but rather lose your ability to control your bladder, which is why people sometimes urinate when they are terrified.
That happens. I don't judge.

It's just as possible that the sensation goes away in the survival situation, and involuntary control keeps the pee in the bladder until such time as it can be safely evacuated.

If you got stung by a jellyfish, perhaps having the piss scared out of you would be beneficial, if well aimed.

Location hidden

#131701 Oct 22, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
Militant Atheism is real and they promote hatred and bigotry.
Maybe you don’t see yourself as a militant atheist and maybe your not.
One thing for sure, there is militant atheist operating on this thread.
We can talk more about this tomorrow.
...and he's right behind you!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 5 min oneear69 37,310
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 5 min Seentheotherside 688,927
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 11 min Gabriel 988,601
You are of your father.....the devil 1 hr Doctor REALITY 3
Why are Europeans a race of savages, thieves, a... (Jun '15) 1 hr Paul is dead 77
is god black or white? and why? (Oct '08) 1 hr my opinions 459
God is REAL - Miracles Happen! (Jun '11) 3 hr Tony 6,553
More from around the web