Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 256610 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“A sentient umbrella speaks”

Since: Mar 11

Some stable somewhere

#131567 Oct 22, 2012
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't consider that the same as faith until you consider your metaphors literally true.
<quoted text>
This sounds more like trust in the future based on extrapolating past experience. Hope is also not faith.
My criticism is of religious faith as I know it in the West especially, and in America as particular, where it does untold harm. If we expand the meaning of the word to include hope, trust, extrapolated experience or harmless metaphors that aid with understanding and coping, then my opinion would be less harsh.
How does that sound?
Speaking of untold harm, I say a longish YouTube video today on the damage that religion does called "Why Are You Atheists Angry" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =GUI_ML1qkQEXX that sent me looking for a transcript. I found something similar, which is a 50 point list of grievances against religion - too long to repost here.
But I will give you a link to the list I found, and a sample next from it next post
So "faith," the word, has different sides to it that are not synonymous.

What is it that drives the beneficial effect from "faith healing"? When people have acupuncture, is that trust in medical technique?

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#131568 Oct 22, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
IANS, you do have a choice. Everybody does. You choose to bekieve that God is fake & you choose to only see the negative side of a church. Your choice.
I don't choose what to believe. I believe what the evidence compels me to believe.

Some stable somewhere

#131569 Oct 22, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm pretty sure this nutcase just blamed Catholics for AIDS in Africa...
LMAO - And you follow her rants?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =GUI_ML1qkQEXX&t=8m37s
The Catholic church puts enormous pressure against the use of condoms. Condoms prevent HIV/AIDS better than any other technology. Therefore the actions of the Catholic church produce an environment where HIV can spread more readily. If they reversed their stance on condom use, and they partially have, allowing more people to have access to condoms (the Church often blocks use at the local level), HIV would not spread so rapidly.

Some stable somewhere

#131570 Oct 22, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
.“ATHEIST POWER, ATHEIST POWER, ATHEIST POWER ………...”
So you want atheist military personnel to be bullied into attending church? You want atheist conventions to be bombed? You want us to be in danger from the religious who believe they have a deity on their side, telling them to do violence?

Some stable somewhere

#131571 Oct 22, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Neo Nazi Atheism!
Atheist Power!
Atheist Power!
Atheist Power!
To the gas chambers they go!
Neo Nazis are Christians, Eagle. So were the Nazis.

You wouldn't make this kind of mistake if you weren't so concerned about dividing the world into us/them categories and you studied your history.

:)

Some stable somewhere

#131572 Oct 22, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
Radiocarbon dating and issues with it.
Note some of the variations they have to deal with, particularly geographic locations and nasty little spikes here and there, some surely not found yet.
But it is oh so reliable. Just ask them.
"They collected roughly 70-meter core samples from the lake and counted the layers to come up with a direct record stretching back as far as 52,000 years. The cores samples yielded 651 carbon dates which were compared to the calendar dates the sediment was found in."
http://scitechdaily.com/sediment-samples-from...
651 out of 52,000?
"The increase in 14C levels is so clear that the scientists, led by Fusa Miyake, a cosmic-ray physicist from Nagoya University in Japan, conclude that the atmospheric level of 14C must have jumped by 1.2% over the course of no longer than a year, about 20 times more than the normal rate of variation."
http://www.nature.com/news/mysterious-radiati...
20 times, eh?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/774%E2%80%93775_...
You really don't get it, hey?

Once again, the radiometric dating is done through testing the ratio of carbon in the sample. It's not based on some idea of an absolute figure of radioactive carbon in the atmosphere.

I've already explained this to you, but I guess it's too hard for you to grasp.

Since: Sep 10

Hermosa Beach, CA

#131573 Oct 22, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
So you want atheist military personnel to be bullied into attending church? You want atheist conventions to be bombed? You want us to be in danger from the religious who believe they have a deity on their side, telling them to do violence?
Eagle is on a self-imposed time out.

Give him a chance to pull himself together.

If we do, he may even apologize for his intemperate posts.

Some stable somewhere

#131574 Oct 22, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Do you swallow?
That depends on what services you paid for.

Some stable somewhere

#131575 Oct 22, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
OK, so you're a buffoon.
A buffoon in the throes of a meltdown.
Anybody remember Pastor Bill?
I remember Pastor Bill! Now there was a meltdown!

He was pretty honest, though - he realized he couldn't argue with logical, informed people, threw his hands up in the air, ran around screaming for a bit, and then fled.

I really liked the honest part of him.

Some stable somewhere

#131576 Oct 22, 2012
Mikko wrote:
<quoted text>
nazis were christian (catholic)
why can he post shit and i get a warning ?
"Please refrain from posting profanity or offensive material.
Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. "
Just press the "post comment" button again.

Some stable somewhere

#131577 Oct 22, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
They sent seismologists to jail 'cuz they didn't predict an earthquake?!
Dumb eye-talians...
No kidding! How repulsive. I guess Italy wants to have no seismologists and a lot of false warnings.

Some stable somewhere

#131578 Oct 22, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Sure, black. Blame the Catholic Church...
Did you know they dropped their ban on the use of condoms?
hmmm...
BTW the people in Africa that are spreading AIDS around are not all Catholic....
Praise Geesh
"The Pope today reignited the controversy over the Catholic church's stance on condom use as he made his first trip to Africa.

The pontiff said condoms were not the answer to the continent's fight against HIV and Aids and could make the problem worse."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/mar/17/p...

How could condoms make the situation worse? What an idiot.

Since: Sep 10

Hermosa Beach, CA

#131579 Oct 22, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
I remember Pastor Bill! Now there was a meltdown!
He was pretty honest, though - he realized he couldn't argue with logical, informed people, threw his hands up in the air, ran around screaming for a bit, and then fled.
I really liked the honest part of him.
Brother Marine had a meltdown now and then too.

He lacked the honesty part though.

Some stable somewhere

#131580 Oct 22, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Oh, BTW....
The Catholic opinions on condoms is a rule for Catholics only.
Abstinence & condoms are NOT the only way to reduce the spreading of AIDS. Being less promiscuous & careless on who you choose to screw will help, too..........
Don't be so naive. Catholics block foreign aid that is attached to prophylactics. They do so at the local level, too - throwing out boxes of condoms rather than distributing them.

Some stable somewhere

#131581 Oct 22, 2012
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. thanks but HFY deserves some kudos. Only difference? Takes her about 10,000 words to explain anything. I just streamlined it ..
.. she's rather verbose. Requires long, poetic enticements before she takes her clothes off during our cybersex sessions ..
Of all the people I've cybered with, you drag it out, take forever to get anywhere, go on and on and on, and insist on hugs afterwards...

:p
:)
:p

This is the Internet baby! Now, now, now! No flash, no play!

Some stable somewhere

#131582 Oct 22, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
IANS, you do have a choice. Everybody does.
You choose to bekieve that God is fake & you choose to only see the negative side of a church.
Your choice.
Do you honestly believe in hell, RR? Do you honestly believe that your "all loving" deity Created hell so that He could lovingly throw His Creations into it?

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#131583 Oct 22, 2012
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
I do not.
Dang, there goes another fantasy. LOL

Some stable somewhere

#131584 Oct 22, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
What language is this science written in?
I think they chose the words because it fit their definitions instead of making up their own. It can get quite complicated as their definitions are then dependent on the definition of words they used to give their definitions, and which usually come from the dictionary. One can go into some serious circles attempting to do such, and get quite lost. Which appears to have happened to you.
Quantum doesn't need a cause, they just happen.
Uh huh.
You are a dingaling.
The appearance of "just happening" is a result of the math methodology and incorrect interpretations missing the things that do cause that "just happening". The missing pieces are in the observers, not the observed.
Sometimes you are sharp as a tack, other times you just aren't connected to reality, particularly when you wish to argue.
Can't argue with what I said and need to attack me instead, huh?

You are not a wise man, Dave. An old man, maybe, but not a wise one.

Some stable somewhere

#131585 Oct 22, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Brother Marine had a meltdown now and then too.
He lacked the honesty part though.
Truer words. Poor BM. He's had a rough go. It's not really his fault that he has meltdowns and that he requires a simplistic understanding of the Bible for his life - society deeply hurt him.

Eagle12

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#131586 Oct 22, 2012
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
It looks like both sides have their grievances. Let us each take our argument to the marketplace of ideas, and let the best one prevail.
I hope you don't mind me saying that I don't think playing the victim card is an effective strategy for Christians given your history and your majority status. Pat Condell said it well:
"I’ve been hearing quite a lot of bitching and whining in the press lately about aggressive, intolerant, atheism; as if that’s, somehow, a bad thing. It seems religion can dish it out okay but it can’t take it: like a street thug who calls the police when his victims fight back."
Pat Condell would have probably said the same thing about the Jews in the 1930's. In other words shut up and step into the gas chamber.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 2 min Rosa_Winkel 64,581
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 2 min bad bob 183,215
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 6 min The Hangman 973,951
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 1 hr DebraE 106,603
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 1 hr onemale 281,952
American Soldiers - Duty, Honor, Country (Jun '11) 1 hr Ricky F 39,120
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 2 hr truth 654,406
More from around the web