Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Read more

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#127222 Oct 2, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
What, communities within the USA where you spoke English and demanded they speak English to you?
Given your gross inability to understand people here, constant demands that you know how reality works and everyone else does not, and your odd belief that your age has brought wisdom, though you present none of it, you sure don't paint a picture of someone who can absorb another person's culture.
Again, what are your credentials for living and working within different cultures?

I can sit down and talk with anyone and have a good conversation. And have. I am not best buds with everyone, but always considered friendly and able to get along with.

Why? Because I come across to them as just people. Just like them. You can't. Your elitism comes across too strong.

You are confused about here. You have a concentration of others with similar mindsets to yours.

“Jesus is Love”

Since: Jul 12

Hutchinson, MN

#127223 Oct 2, 2012
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
You really have nothing else, do you? Ultimately, this is the quality of faith - threats of pain and suffering.
You have nothing else but solid evidence that you deserve pain and suffering. Faith has nothing to do with it. Just simple observation of your wickedness and disobedience to the God that does exists and that created you.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#127224 Oct 2, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
On my way!
Jardin des Tuileries. At noon. We'll mosey over to the Vendome, grab a bite with a glass of bordeaux.

With a toast to Dave.

Apres le repas, off to the Musee d'Orsay. Best Van Gogh collection in the world, in my view.

We'll spend the evening in the Montparnasse.

Westcliffe, CO

#127225 Oct 2, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
So will you answer?
Do you have somebody YOU can call a friend?
By your own definition of friendship?
I did. They are dead.

Catcher, you are confusing the refusal of someone to buy your bullshit with them being bitter. I am actually one of those most understanding, non-judgmental, and easy going people you would ever have encountered.

Don't worry about me. Work on your own issues.

Westcliffe, CO

#127226 Oct 2, 2012
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> It is a religious fallacy of reasoning , that a beginning requires a cause.
The only mind that can consider something doesn't have to have a cause for a beginning is one caught on a merry go round.

Sit down before you fall down.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#127227 Oct 2, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey, no problem. You know I once went to the Christian forums - I think the "Jesus loves me" thread and was nice, but started a few arguments. But the people were pretty nice, and they had a good thing going without me, so I apologized to them all and took my leave. Many of them wrote me kind pms and messages on the site - nice people. I was intruding, but bowed out respectfully.
So...the Christians who come here, I would guess, enjoy arguing - enjoy losing arguments :)
Some of you people write "I'm here to save your souls!" But very few Christians on these atheist threads do a good job of conversion. If you want to convert people, here's some simple rules to follow:
1. don't argue. For two reasons: arguing rarely convinces anyone but is likely to promote an antagonistic stance toward you. On the other hand, most of us here can be swayed by a solid, logical argument with good evidence. If you can produce that, by all means.
2. don't be rude, insulting, whatever
3. show us why your religion is the way to go. Are you better off than others for what you believe? Are you true to your religion?
The reality is, though, you're never going to get converts here. Most atheists have been Christians at one point. They know the Christian experience inside and out and became disgusted with the belief system. You're mostly going to get laughed at, attacked, put down, out-argued and so on here.
Which means that Christians who come here don't really come for conversion, but to argue. If you were a logical bunch, you could be here to refine your understanding of your belief system through argument, but I seriously doubt many Christians think "I'll go to the atheist form to bounce some ideas off them and get some solid critique."
Dave, for example, just likes to say "I'm right! You're wrong and everyone who doesn't agree with me is wrong,'cause I'm right!"
LB really wants to say "I've experienced the Lord and so believe in it" but he goes about it all wrong by attacking science when he doesn't have a clue about science. That just makes him look silly.
Boss was kind of fun, promoted a lot of good writing by atheists.
You I won't comment on atm. Others, I can't be bothered with. They aren't here now and so don't get a mention!
buh-bye!
A famous prosecutor in Texas once said,“Anyone can convict a guilty man. But you have to be damn good to convict a innocent man.”

I see this forum and conversing with atheist as the ultimate challenge. I do so enjoy it very much, all of it including the criticism from atheist.

While training as an industrial fire fighter. I found the most rewarding and challenging place to be was the one on the end of the nozzle fighting the fire. Getting right into the midst of the fire. It was exhilarating in my younger years.

So this site represents a challenge and it is rewarding.

Westcliffe, CO

#127228 Oct 2, 2012
Getting to be bedtime for me.

Listening to broken records and screeching can wear a soul out.

Southern Illinois

#127229 Oct 2, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey, no problem. You know I once went to the Christian forums - I think the "Jesus loves me" thread and was nice, but started a few arguments. But the people were pretty nice, and they had a good thing going without me, so I apologized to them all and took my leave. Many of them wrote me kind pms and messages on the site - nice people. I was intruding, but bowed out respectfully.
So...the Christians who come here, I would guess, enjoy arguing - enjoy losing arguments :)
Some of you people write "I'm here to save your souls!" But very few Christians on these atheist threads do a good job of conversion. If you want to convert people, here's some simple rules to follow:
1. don't argue. For two reasons: arguing rarely convinces anyone but is likely to promote an antagonistic stance toward you. On the other hand, most of us here can be swayed by a solid, logical argument with good evidence. If you can produce that, by all means.
2. don't be rude, insulting, whatever
3. show us why your religion is the way to go. Are you better off than others for what you believe? Are you true to your religion?
The reality is, though, you're never going to get converts here. Most atheists have been Christians at one point. They know the Christian experience inside and out and became disgusted with the belief system. You're mostly going to get laughed at, attacked, put down, out-argued and so on here.
Which means that Christians who come here don't really come for conversion, but to argue. If you were a logical bunch, you could be here to refine your understanding of your belief system through argument, but I seriously doubt many Christians think "I'll go to the atheist form to bounce some ideas off them and get some solid critique."
Dave, for example, just likes to say "I'm right! You're wrong and everyone who doesn't agree with me is wrong,'cause I'm right!"
LB really wants to say "I've experienced the Lord and so believe in it" but he goes about it all wrong by attacking science when he doesn't have a clue about science. That just makes him look silly.
Boss was kind of fun, promoted a lot of good writing by atheists.
You I won't comment on atm. Others, I can't be bothered with. They aren't here now and so don't get a mention!
buh-bye!
I don’t know if you ever seen the cartoon of Ralph E. Wolf and Ralph the Sheepdog.

Both Ralph and the Wolf start their day clocking in for work by punching in their time cards. Mr. Wolf’s job of course is to steal and consume the lamb chops. Often using various products from Acme to help him succeed.

Ralph (Sheep dog) job is to keep the sheep safe and so the war begins. At the end of the day, both Ralph and Wolf clock out and go home. Wolf is always beat up and exhausted at the end of the day.

It’s kind of like that here. The only question is are you the Wolf of the Sheep dog?, lol.

Southern Illinois

#127230 Oct 2, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
And guess what wonderful sculpture rests in Westminster Abbey.
A full-body, sitting sculpture of none other than..........Charles Darwin!!
A couple of years ago they had a great celebration for him there; I was fortunate to be in London at the time and it was the highlight of that visit.
Leave it to them to idolize the wrong person. It should have been Thomas Crapper. His contribution far exceeds Darwins.

Wiki:

Thomas Crapper (baptised 28 September 1836; died 27 January 1910) was a plumber who founded Thomas Crapper & Co in London. Contrary to widespread misconceptions, Crapper did not invent the flush toilet. He did, however, do much to increase the popularity of the toilet, and developed some important related inventions, such as the ballcock. He was noted for the quality of his products and received several royal warrants.

Manhole covers with Crapper's company's name on them in Westminster Abbey are now one of London's minor tourist attractions.[2][3] Thomas Crapper & Co owned the world's first bath, toilet and sink showroom, in King's Road until 1966. The firm's lavatorial equipment was manufactured at premises in nearby Marlborough Road (now Draycott Avenue).

“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#127231 Oct 2, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
And guess what wonderful sculpture rests in Westminster Abbey.
A full-body, sitting sculpture of none other than..........Charles Darwin!!
A couple of years ago they had a great celebration for him there; I was fortunate to be in London at the time and it was the highlight of that visit.
What??? I must have missed it! I found his plaque on the ground - a half foot wide, foot long plaque that reads "Charles Darwin."

There were a lot of sculptures, though. A huge one of Newton, Shakespeare - I spent 5 hours looking at them all. I just thought "huh, they dissed Darwin."

But I'm glad they didn't! Thanks :)

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#127232 Oct 2, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Silly goose.
Go to a revival meeting if that is what you want, to be saved. To have others reach out to you. Only for you to make fun of them.
If you haven't got a clue yet, then you never will.
I, for one, am here to destroy you.
hahahahaha!!!

Dave, you're overmatched and witless to boot. You couldn't destroy an angry housefly.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#127233 Oct 2, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
OK.
What about Christian Inquisition?
Also an oxymoron?
I would say so. How does it jibe with the teachings of it founder?

Slavery in the Old.

Joel 3:3. They have also cast lots for my people, traded a boy for a harlot. And sold a girl for wine that they may drink.

Israel is judged because ''they sell the righteous for money and the needy for a pair of sandals.'' Amos 2:6.

Buy the helpless for money and the needy for a pair of sandals. Amos 8:6

Amos 5:11. They impose heavy rent on the poor.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#127234 Oct 2, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Again, what are your credentials for living and working within different cultures?
I can sit down and talk with anyone and have a good conversation. And have. I am not best buds with everyone, but always considered friendly and able to get along with.
Why? Because I come across to them as just people. Just like them. You can't. Your elitism comes across too strong.
You are confused about here. You have a concentration of others with similar mindsets to yours.
Hardly. Your conversations, here at least, always focus on how great you are, how you know everything and everyone else, regardless of training, doesn't get it.

I can't imagine you'd have a good conversation with someone or bother to learn their perspective based on your writing here.

Thank the heavenly father that I'm quite unlike you.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#127235 Oct 2, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
A famous prosecutor in Texas once said,“Anyone can convict a guilty man. But you have to be damn good to convict a innocent man.”
I see this forum and conversing with atheist as the ultimate challenge. I do so enjoy it very much, all of it including the criticism from atheist.
While training as an industrial fire fighter. I found the most rewarding and challenging place to be was the one on the end of the nozzle fighting the fire. Getting right into the midst of the fire. It was exhilarating in my younger years.
So this site represents a challenge and it is rewarding.
That's commendable, good for you. A good friend of mine was going to become a firefighter. He was awarded a football scholarship to a prestigious university and was going to compete in the Olympics in two different events - wrestling and arm wrestling. Super friendly, super nice. Then he was tragically killed by a drunk driver.

So, what have you learned here? Has your position on anything shifted? Have you refined your perspective?

Long Beach, CA

#127236 Oct 2, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Leave it to them to idolize the wrong person. It should have been Thomas Crapper. His contribution far exceeds Darwins.
Wiki:
Thomas Crapper (baptised 28 September 1836; died 27 January 1910) was a plumber who founded Thomas Crapper & Co in London. Contrary to widespread misconceptions, Crapper did not invent the flush toilet. He did, however, do much to increase the popularity of the toilet, and developed some important related inventions, such as the ballcock. He was noted for the quality of his products and received several royal warrants.
Manhole covers with Crapper's company's name on them in Westminster Abbey are now one of London's minor tourist attractions.[2][3] Thomas Crapper & Co owned the world's first bath, toilet and sink showroom, in King's Road until 1966. The firm's lavatorial equipment was manufactured at premises in nearby Marlborough Road (now Draycott Avenue).
To see a wonderful example of Crapper's contribution, you must travel to Bath, in Devon.

Great show in a semicircular residential building.

A memorable visit. Thanks for the memories dude.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#127237 Oct 2, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Wiki:
Nope, Darwin's exceeds Crapper's since Darwin provided the framework theory of biological science.

If Crapper didn't invent the toilet, then who did?

Toilets are a fantastic, life saving invention, but the real winner is the sealed sewer system. Darwin's theory explains why.

Long Beach, CA

#127238 Oct 2, 2012
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> I would say so. How does it jibe with the teachings of it founder?
Slavery in the Old.
Joel 3:3. They have also cast lots for my people, traded a boy for a harlot. And sold a girl for wine that they may drink.
Israel is judged because ''they sell the righteous for money and the needy for a pair of sandals.'' Amos 2:6.
Buy the helpless for money and the needy for a pair of sandals. Amos 8:6
Amos 5:11. They impose heavy rent on the poor.
OK then, I offer you another oxymoron: Religious truth.

Location hidden

#127239 Oct 2, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
I'm totally an elitist.
Agreed. Do you consider that a positive character trait? Would you put that on your job resume? Actually i really do not believe you are. In reality i disagree.

Location hidden

#127240 Oct 2, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
OK then, I offer you another oxymoron: Religious truth.
There is Amos 5:18-24. Your statement says more about you than it does anything else.

Long Beach, CA

#127241 Oct 2, 2012
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> There is Amos 5:18-24. Your statement says more about you than it does anything else.
Yes.

I am a nonbeliever.

Is that what you mean?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 4 min New Age Spiritual... 818,681
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 5 min hojo 579,549
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 11 min New Age Spiritual... 441,986
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 18 min Good-Evil 2,068
buy medical insurance. insurance company provid... 24 min jack 1
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 27 min trifecta1 610,019
any schools out there that offer their teachers... 1 hr JACK 2
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 1 hr WasteWater 270,219
More from around the web