Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258512 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Atheist Silurist

Gloucester, UK

#125895 Sep 26, 2012
Eye Heart Jesus wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmmm..u seem to be suffering from dome form of sexual repression.... Either that or you're into some serious S&M... Again, this is the wrong forum for u... Not interested in hearing about your twisted, sick fantasies..
Barf.
What fantasy could be sicker than to wish eternal torture on someone?
They are the manifestations of a sick mind indeed.
ZEUS

Mound, MN

#125896 Sep 26, 2012
Zeus would whoop Jesus sheep humping ass.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#125897 Sep 26, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
1. DNA requires interstitial fluid (inter-cellular fluid) to function. That includes the basic pieces (carbon, nitrogen, fatty acids, aminoacids, enzymes). These pieces float around DNA, combine b/c of enzymic action and DNA (b/c DNA is kind of a catalyst).
2. Yes. What you ask happens all the time, given limitations:
a. foreign cells (with foreign chemical signatures) are targeted by the immune system (IS). ISs are extremely good at eliminating foreign cells and can kill around 10 to the 9 every day.
b. that means the only kinds of foreign cells that can live in you are specialized as parasites. They evade the IS or attack it.
c. however, if you had an immuno-compromised body and you were very, very careful to keep it isolated, you could introduce any kind of foreign cell to it and it would grow. Or you could design some kind of DNA insertion device that would get around the immune system (most genetic manipulation involves using a retrovirus like HIV, but with its RNA removed and your target RNA/DNA replacing that).
Well, almost any foreign cell. A plant cell isn't going to do very well in an animal body. A fungal cell will probably do ok in either, depending on the species.
Why do you ask?
Thanks for the response.

Everyone assumes evolution works within the creature. Mutations of its own genes. I was just wondering if it was possible for a cell or cells to latch onto a host with the suitable chemistry for it to start growing independently. Sort of like a growth on a body that can then detach later as a new life form. Or even modify the genes of its host. All from the DNA embedded in those original cells.

Panspermia, maybe reactivated DNA of long dead creatures. We are at the intersection of another galaxy being eaten by the Milky Way. Something different from the assumed linear progression. Just wondered if it was possible biologically.

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#125898 Sep 26, 2012
God works in mysterious waves.

Mostly EM.

Just look at what it did to Dave.
Eye Heart Jesus

Canada

#125899 Sep 26, 2012
ZEUS wrote:
<quoted text>If you truly want to debate about this you wouldn't quote out bible verses.If Jesus was real?If his miracles were true?If he was born of a virgin?It still wouldn't make his teachings true or make him Son Of a God.He will just be another diety dude.You obviously have never step out your comfort zone.I was a Christian and live with Christians.I am an atheist because religion doesn't change how live,die or sleep.Its not real
to me.Hearing my mother thanking Jesus for paying bills and getting foodstamps is a piss poor reason to believe.The other reason I stop
believing because I never really truly believe it.I just said it and preached like what your doing right now.You so badly want us to believe rather than to prove the truth of what you say.
Its refreshing to see the honesty in your last post.. Or I should say semi-honesty.
I believe u when u said you never truly believed.
But I believe it's because you were waiting for God to smack u in the face. God doesn't work that way. You were never a Christian, although you thought you were. Because u were raised in a Christian household, doesn't constitute for being a Christian. I doubt you ever truly dug deep and asked God for answers... How do I know that? From your own confession... U never believed.
Listen, the bit about Jesus' prophesies coming true not proving Him to be the one true God.... Simply doesn't line up with the argument.
The fact that God went through such lengths to provide us with a roadmap to Him (the bible). And purposely chose the method it was written..(corroboration of 40 different people, 3 continents, 3 languages, 1500 year span, recounting supernatural events and fulfilled prophesies) was to tell us a story... About HIMSELF. He proved Himself through those stories to be true and faithful To us, even though we are His creation. He loved is enough to provide a way for us To be made right with him through Jesus' sacrifice. What bigger story of love? Our creator, incarnated himself so that He could pay the ultimate penalty for the sin we inherited through Adam and Eve. He was with us all along. He didn't Just create us and leave us without hope when humanity failed. Instead, He took the consequences upon Himself, of OUR sins so that we could be blameless and forgiven, and live eternally with Him in paradise:)
ZEUS

Mound, MN

#125900 Sep 26, 2012
Eye Heart Jesus wrote:
<quoted text>
Doesn't take much to keep some people entertained I see:p
I guess it beats the other 'topix' at hand:)
Lol
Why don't you believe in Zeus?Josephus saw his son on top of a mountain.We have Greek literature and stories about Herceles.Com e man lets worship Zeus.Trust me you will like worshipping some.He has nice abs and a tight butt.Just try it.
Eye Heart Jesus

Canada

#125901 Sep 26, 2012
Anywho... I know I said I was leaving Earlier... I took a shower and got a second wind:)

Now I'm really off to bed.

Good night everyone:)

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#125902 Sep 26, 2012
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Let Dave pretend.
It's all he's got.
Ok, I guess.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#125903 Sep 26, 2012
Tide with Beach wrote:
Mostly EM.
http://scitechdaily.com/optimism-bias-disrupt...

http://www.cnn.com/video/...

Watch how you use that cellphone. It's the devil's tool, I tell you.

:-)
ZEUS

Mound, MN

#125904 Sep 26, 2012
Zeus will get angry at our sin.He represents the roaring thunders for his rage towards mankind.Does this sound familiar to Genesis?He has a son lol.Why is it always the son who carries the throne?Sounds to similar Roman's rulemaking.Why would any God need a son from a virgin?Can't he just make him out of clay.How does a man who parks seas ultimately gets lost in a desert lol.Why do we need The 10 Commandments when we had laws and regulations before Christianity or theistic tribes lol.

Catcher1

Since: Sep 10

Hermosa Beach, CA

#125905 Sep 26, 2012
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
If a debate can be defined as loosely as a conversation, then sure, but if we are differentiating between kinds of conversations we could have, then it's important to use the definition that is most useful. In that case, nobody here is debating anything. In a debate, rules are followed. There's usually a moderator, a time limit, stuff like that.
We have discussions and arguments, but not anything I would consider a true debate.
You see, many people here probably can debate, but those same people would have a hard time finding someone to debate with, or in other words, someone who would follow the rules. Both sides have to be aware of, and follow said rules in order for them to be debating.
If you were wondering, the biggest stumbling block on Topix would be getting people to concede when they are wrong about something. Concession is a big part of debate.
Yay Tide.

Good man.

Catcher1

Hermosa Beach, CA

#125906 Sep 26, 2012
Tide with Beach wrote:
Mostly EM.
No, that wasn't it.

The concrete block on his head did it.

Catcher1

Hermosa Beach, CA

#125907 Sep 26, 2012
Eye Heart Jesus wrote:
Anywho... I know I said I was leaving Earlier... I took a shower and got a second wind:)
Now I'm really off to bed.
Good night everyone:)
May you be a nonbeliever in your dreams....

:)

“A sentient umbrella speaks”

Since: Mar 11

Some stable somewhere

#125908 Sep 26, 2012
Eye Heart Jesus wrote:
<quoted text>
U are likewise ignoring all the facts I have presented. R u shrugging them off as mere 'coincidences'? Or perhaps just conjured up stories? I'm sorry but your argument doesn't hold water. I've demonstrated quite repeatedly how the entire bible has been corroberrated, yet unknowingly to the 40 different writers over a 1500 year period. The interesting thing Is how the corroborated events claim prophesies and eye witness accounts of supernatural events!
How can this be fixed? And if it were mere Fairytale, how could it be arranged in such great and specific corroboration Over the centuries and in such detail?
If you are inky skimming the surface of biblical stories, then I'm sorry but you haven't done your homework.
Please do yourself a favour and look into it deeper. You'll be amazed at what you'll find... And surprised to see that the fairytales and fIbs your professors spew put by memory are just that... They're a figment of THEIR own imaginations... Because it suits their agenda.
I like to take a different approach. I like to do my own thinking and research:)
You haven't presented facts. You've presented how writers can read stuff in the past and add to the mythology by coloring events after they happen.

Your own mythology book tells us it did just this:

Matthew 21:1-5
New International Version (NIV)

"21 As they approached Jerusalem and came to Bethphage on the Mount of Olives, Jesus sent two disciples, 2 saying to them,“Go to the village ahead of you, and at once you will find a donkey tied there, with her colt by her. Untie them and bring them to me. 3 If anyone says anything to you, say that the Lord needs them, and he will send them right away.”

4 This took place to fulfill what was spoken through the prophet:

5 “Say to Daughter Zion,
‘See, your king comes to you,
gentle and riding on a donkey,
and on a colt, the foal of a donkey.’”[a]"

So...Jesus purposefully arrange his life to fulfill prophecy - and they're honest about their deception.

Honest about fakery.

Some stable somewhere

#125909 Sep 26, 2012
I'm just going to change your words around, to play:
Eye Heart Jesus wrote:
<quoted text>
Nobody indoctrinated me. It was the Holy Spirit that guided me to see these truths for myself.
"Nobody indoctrinated me."
I havent gone to anyone for guidance and advice. I've gone straight to the source... My creator...
after doing that, I set myself on a journey for truth, and I was lead to the bible over and over again.
You don't know me, so i would appreciate it if you would stop your prejudice and ignorant remarks.
I'm simply trying To share with others what I find to be truth, because there is so much evidence it's staggering.
U choose to ignore it and label me as 'indoctrinated' or 'brainwashed' because I don't agree with your atheist point of view, which doesn't offer any logical explanation for the origins of life, other than the 'theory of evolution' which Is so baseless even scientists are dripping the notion.
Baby...you have it pretty bad.

Catcher1

Hermosa Beach, CA

#125910 Sep 26, 2012
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Auto correct wont work if yew are using words that are reel words. Sum things that are reel words, are knot the rite words, even though they are spelled correctly. Sea what I mean?
I hope I don't sea any mower mist steaks out of yew.
What you say is true.

But she used some made-up (grossly misspelled) words.

Some stable somewhere

#125911 Sep 26, 2012
Eye Heart Jesus wrote:
<quoted text>
Nobody indoctrinated me. It was the Holy Spirit that guided me to see these truths for myself. I havent gone to anyone for guidance and advice. I've gone straight to the source... My creator... after doing that, I set myself on a journey for truth, and I was lead to the bible over and over again.
You don't know me, so i would appreciate it if you would stop your prejudice and ignorant remarks.
I'm simply trying To share with others what I find to be truth, because there is so much evidence it's staggering.
U choose to ignore it and label me as 'indoctrinated' or 'brainwashed' because I don't agree with your atheist point of view, which doesn't offer any logical explanation for the origins of life, other than the 'theory of evolution' which Is so baseless even scientists are dripping the notion.
On a more serious note.

You're a believer. You've been encultured to your belief. Your brain now interprets and experiences reality as if it matched your religion

You probably won't understand what I wrote. All people learn a culture through developing and socializing. It happens invisibly to all people. It's how we learn to be social animals. Enculturation makes us live in social realities - subjective social realities.

They are experienced, perceived, interpreted as real. There's no getting around this, it's how people work.

So of course you "know" your religion to be "real and true." Just like believers in all other religions "know" their religion to be the "one true religion with the one true god." You are not unique in that "knowledge."

Of course you find apologetic writings compelling. Of course you fail to see the logical problems in accepting them. Your inability to see outside your religion is utterly expected - you are not surprising us here.

And of course you can point to other religions and see their problems. All believers in all religions can look at every religion but their own and see the logical failings.

Remember you, like all other believers in all other religions, have found the "one, true god."

Sorry, baby, your arguments aren't compelling to us. You don't present anything remotely like evidence but invoke a circular argument that goes like this: "the Bible is accurate because the Bible says it is."

"How do we know that Jesus arose from the dead?"

"The Bible tells us he did."

"How do we know that's true?"

"Because the Bible tells us that 500 people witnessed that."

"How do we know that's true?"

"Because the Bible tells us it's true."

Since you're a "true believer" with the "one, true religion" (like all other believers in all other religions) you fail to see the logical problems here.

But don't worry. We see them. We see your logical failings aplenty!

Some stable somewhere

#125912 Sep 26, 2012
Eye Heart Jesus wrote:
<quoted text>
Did u read my list of prophesies made and fulfilled prophesies later?
I hardly think those supernatural circumstances could be 'self fulfilled'... Well... Unless you're Jesus, which, He is... And He did.
That's my point:) That's what makes the Bible divinely inspired:)
Why is the Bible divinely inspired?

Because it says it is.

How do we know this?

The Bible tells us it is divinely inspired.

So...how do we know this?

Well, Bible says it's divinely inspired.

So...how do we know this?

Well, the Bible must be telling the truth because it's divinely inspired.

How do we know that the Bible is divinely inspired?

Because it tells us it is.

*start at the top of this post and re-read for the answer.

Some stable somewhere

#125913 Sep 26, 2012
ZEUS wrote:
Did you read Josephus?lol I bet you did.He also testified to the existence of Herceles.Now lets debate about that.Zeus must also be real aswell since Herceles was the son of Zeus.Christians never talk about Paul honesty from anonymous sources he worshipped many gods.
How do we know that Greek Mythology is real?

Because the Bible tells us it is.

Wow, really?

Yes, really.

Corroboration! woohooo! Greek Mythology is real!

Well, I don't believe the Bible.

Why not?

Because Greek Mythology doesn't tell us that the Bible is real.

Oh...sad panda.

“Darwin died for your sins”

Since: Aug 08

Nunya

#125914 Sep 26, 2012
Eye Heart Jesus wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmmm..u seem to be suffering from dome form of sexual repression.... Either that or you're into some serious S&M... Again, this is the wrong forum for u... Not interested in hearing about your twisted, sick fantasies..
Barf.
Sorry dickhat, you and you're christian buds are the only ones projecting here.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 16 min NICK 80,688
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 1 hr Dang Jersey Piney 448,423
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 2 hr River Tam 995,822
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 2 hr Michael 701,715
Are foreign brides a good market? 3 hr Jeffrey40 1
How to ask out Kiev Ladies for a date? 3 hr romex14 1
God is REAL - Miracles Happen! (Jun '11) 11 hr Wisdom of Ages 6,872