Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 255176 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#123055 Sep 17, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
[I'm] Not antiscientific,[I'm] anti-scientist....
And what is it about scientists that you object to if not their science? Their taste in music? Their investment portfolios? Their choices in vehicles? Their shoe styles?

I think it's your antiscientism that makes you antiscientist.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#123056 Sep 17, 2012
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
Still not the same. Two different things.
One follows the other.
Without the first, the other doesn't exist.
Think on that for a bit.
Is there a point?
Without christ, no christians.
Without science, no scientists.
Duh
lightbeamrider

Fargo, ND

#123057 Sep 17, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You what else is very strange. Thry think the modern human, homo sapien, evolved 200,000 years ago but only advanced in the last 6,000 years... Strange that humans wasted 194,000 years doing nothing...
Did a few animal paintings. Did not write much as far as we know. Not the greatest track record.

“There is much pleasure to be”

Since: Jul 10

gained from useless knowledge

#123059 Sep 17, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
"correct"? Or "chosen"?
Trust is a synonym of faith.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Trust is given? I hope you're not serious. Trust is earned, not given.
They aren't synonyms. If faith had to be earned, it would not be true faith. And as you said, trust is earned (at least, usually).

“Seventh son”

Since: Dec 10

Will Prevail

#123060 Sep 17, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you have a reading comprehension problem?
N/M I shouldn't ask questions I already know the answer to.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's teapot

#123061 Sep 17, 2012
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Why is that funny? Trust is the correct word to use.
<quoted text>
How would atheism delude my thinking, at all? Does not believing in Vishnu delude your thinking?
I'm not afraid of the word "faith", or any word. Do you really believe that I am? How could you believe that I could fear a word? I don't believe you fear words, or numbers, or seasons of the year. Are we going to discuss who has deluding thinking now?
<quoted text>
How? Where is your attempt?
Atheism, the label, only requires that a person have no belief in a god. This require no faith, no trust, no belief, only a lack of belief.
That is atheism, as far as I'm concerned. Even under the Christian definition, atheism does not require a level of faith equal to religious faith, or any faith at all. The requirement of the Christian definition of atheism, is not believing in God, or believing that God does not exist, which can be accomplished without faith of any kind.
I don't use the word "faith", or, "belief/believe" in my day to day life. Here, on Topix, I only use it in discussion with Christians, and it's only used in particular to them.

Just for instance, you'll never hear me say; "I believe I'm gonna do that"

I use the word "think", instead of "belief/believe"

Those words have become synonymous with religious implication and inference. Hijacked for all practical purposes.

As a benefit, I've found that over the years, eliminating *believe/belief* from my vocabulary or lexicon makes me consider the things I commit to, and decide to do in a much more thought out, reasoned way.

"I believe I'll go by that place later on"

Doesn't impart the commitment that:

"I think I'll go by that place later on"

"Belief" is vague, "think" is a process.

That's how it works for me, anyway.

Fennario

#123062 Sep 17, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Alrighty then. Well, my dear, he said that humans are apes. He did NOT say that humans are classified in the same taxonomic classification as apes. Humans are humans. Apes are apes.
Humans are apes. We have all the qualifications - we are tailless, terrestrial mammals with hairy, opposable thumbs, flat nails, and dry noses. That's an ape.

Having a better mind than other apes doesn't graduate you out of apedom any more than it graduates you out of mammaldom or vertebrannia (don't bother looking them up - I just coined them for this single purpose).

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's teapot

#123063 Sep 17, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Is there a point?
Duh
Do you have memories of riding in, and then falling out of a Turnip truck?

Are you a Poe?
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#123064 Sep 17, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for your reply. I think
Incorrect. You follow apologetics and go with whatever sounds theologically satisfactory. You have already admitted the other day that science comes up with big words that you don't understand and therefore it can't be true.
Eagle12 wrote:
evolution is nothing more than a high pressured sales job.
... which is accepted by every major scientific institution in the world. Creationists therefore claim it's a big world-wide atheist conspiracy. Even the theists who support it are in on it.
Eagle12 wrote:
I would love to see some evidence of evolution. Not artist conceptions, or speculations with high dollar words but real hard core evidence. I can be persuaded believe it or not. But it’s going to take some real evidence and not just a bunch of hype.
No, it would take a miracle from God. Creationists will constantly move back the goalposts no matter how much evidence is provided. If someone asks me for "the missing link" (a rather uneducated thing to ask for) I will provide them with lots. It still won't be enough. If someone asks me for multiple lines of evidence I will provide them with many. It still won't be enough. If someone asks me for evidence of evolution, I provide them with lots. They will complain that this doesn't have anything to do with the Big Bang (oh hello Redneck). But one thing that will be consistent is that what IS provided will not be addressed, ever, and they will then demand we provide a 4 billion year history fossil by fossil mutation by mutation of the evolution of the lesser spotted aardvark of Gummer-Gummer Island in the distant south Pacific.

And if we can't provide that then Goddidit with magic the end Amen.
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#123065 Sep 17, 2012
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Did a few animal paintings. Did not write much as far as we know. Not the greatest track record.
And what's even worse is they still have creationists in the 21st century. They can't even tell the difference between biological and technological development.
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#123066 Sep 17, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Is there a point?
Duh
And without science, no geology. Without geology, no oil. Without oil, no plastics. Without plastics, no computer.

And yet thousands of creationists use computers every day proclaiming geology is wrong cuz Goddidit with magic.

Quite absurd.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#123067 Sep 17, 2012
Bit Twiddler wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
They aren't synonyms. If faith had to be earned, it would not be true faith. And as you said, trust is earned (at least, usually).
faith

noun&#8195;

1. Complete trust or confidence in someone or something

2. Strong belief in God or in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual apprehension rather than proof

3. A system of religious belief

4. A strongly held belief or theory

Synonyms:
belief - trust - confidence - credence - credit

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#123068 Sep 17, 2012
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Humans are apes.
I know you are.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#123069 Sep 17, 2012
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
And without science, no geology. Without geology, no oil. Without oil, no plastics. Without plastics, no computer.
And yet thousands of creationists use computers every day proclaiming geology is wrong cuz Goddidit with magic.
Quite absurd.
Woah. You think that because people discovered something it was also created by those people?

Geology isn't wrong, my friend. We're barely learning how God created the Earth.

“There is much pleasure to be”

Since: Jul 10

gained from useless knowledge

#123070 Sep 17, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
faith
noun&#8195;
1. Complete trust or confidence in someone or something
2. Strong belief in God or in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual apprehension rather than proof
3. A system of religious belief
4. A strongly held belief or theory
Synonyms:
belief - trust - confidence - credence - credit
The dictionary entries aside, the two words are used differently. They point to different concepts.

You yourself said that trust is contingent on some kind of reciprocation, i.e. it must be earned. Faith is the exact opposite in that regard - it is given freely, or it is not faith.

Fennario

#123071 Sep 17, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
The overwhelming majority of human beings have this "god need" you like to ridicule.
I don't ridicule the god need. I identify it where present, and attempt to account for it.
Dave Nelson wrote:
You speak of psychosis including religion.
There is overlap. Both involve a detachment from reality. But psychiatric psychosis generally implies a different etiology, history, prognosis, and response to therapy than religious psychosis. For example, psychiatric psychosis requires hospitalization more often, but responds to medication better.
Dave Nelson wrote:
You have no use for religion. The overwhelming majority does.
It probably doesn't have to be that way.

Besides, it's not religion per se that I object to. It's organized religion when it is large and powerful enough to affects public policy and the daily life of unbelievers.

Once the church has shrunken enough that it no longer can do those things, people like me probably won't think about it much ever again - like I don't think about the masons or the Girl Scouts. Their lives and their organizations don't intersect with mine at all.

“MEET KIKI -She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#123072 Sep 17, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Bit Twiddler wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
.. the only way to discover if you can trust someone is to trust them ..

.. people have my trust until they lose it ..

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#123073 Sep 17, 2012
Bit Twiddler wrote:
<quoted text>
The dictionary entries aside, the two words are used differently. They point to different concepts.
You yourself said that trust is contingent on some kind of reciprocation, i.e. it must be earned. Faith is the exact opposite in that regard - it is given freely, or it is not faith.
It depends on how the word is used & in what context.

"I have faith in God" is very different than

"I have faith in the pilot of the plane".

Having faith in a pilot would suggest that you assume he hasn't been drinking and knows how to fly a plane, it doesn't mean that you worship him.

Why is this so damn difficult for you people?

You can't understand that some words have multiple meanings?(like bank and bank)

“MEET KIKI -She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#123074 Sep 17, 2012
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
As a benefit, I've found that over the years, eliminating *believe/belief* from my vocabulary or lexicon makes me consider the things I commit to, and decide to do in a much more thought out, reasoned way.
"I believe I'll go by that place later on"
Doesn't impart the commitment that:
"I think I'll go by that place later on"
"Belief" is vague, "think" is a process.
That's how it works for me, anyway.
.. the most misused words in the English language are believe and feel ..

Richardfs

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#123075 Sep 17, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for your reply. I think evolution is nothing more than a high pressured sales job. I would love to see some evidence of evolution. Not artist conceptions, or speculations with high dollar words but real hard core evidence. I can be persuaded believe it or not. But it’s going to take some real evidence and not just a bunch of hype.
What you think compared to what scientists know is irrelevant and it is only your arrogance of ignorance which in your case is willful that lets you think other wise.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 2 min Rosa_Winkel 36,675
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 4 min AussieBobby 280,829
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 7 min AussieBobby 44,245
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 8 min Steve III 618,239
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 39 min DebraE 104,526
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 50 min truth 640,786
ye olde village pub (Jun '07) 53 min Ruby88 53,745
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 6 hr X Pendable 969,743
More from around the web