Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 244954 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#116125 Aug 3, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Let’s look at what you wrote and apply it to atheism. Notice what you have written can very easily apply to atheism by simply changing one word.
It is truly funny when you accuse other people of being inflexible. The very concept of having a atheism belief necessitates an inflexible world view - to have a belief is to have insulated your mind from outside influences that might threaten it. The human mind is very, very good at maintaining and holding on to beliefs once a certain belief has become sufficiently ingrained. There's no point in going into much detail, but to put it simply, there are several mechanisms that, once a belief has been decided upon, ensure that all evidence for the belief is latched on to and all information contrary to it are discarded - sometimes intentionally, sometimes not.
You know, that was a very good try, but not so much. Atheism is not a belief. For some very bullheaded people, it may become something of a philosophy for them, but for the rest of us, it simply means a lack of belief in god. That's it. I do not have a belief in god. I am not opposed to the possibility, but currently I see no compelling evidence for a deity. Just like I see no compelling evidence for Zeus. Am I closed minded because I don't believe in Zeus? I don't like baseball very much - is that a sport?

Location hidden

#116126 Aug 3, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
If mankind is related to primates.
Why primates aren’t driving buses, delivery pizza’s, fixing cars, working in factories, inventing, writing books, driving tractors, farming and such?
How can one species excel to the point of placing a man on the moon and the other not advance?
Are you serious? Do you really consider this a compelling argument, or even something worth saying?

Location hidden

#116127 Aug 3, 2012
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think he is looking for that kind of date!!! You know those fundie types!
What kind of dates do those fundie types like? The rapey kind?

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

#116128 Aug 3, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Are you serious? Do you really consider this a compelling argument, or even something worth saying?
Yes! He really is that stupid!

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#116129 Aug 3, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>What kind of dates do those fundie types like? The rapey kind?
You know; they are all, big anti-gay, chest pounders in public, but behind closed doors, they are a peeter poofin' fool!

Since: Jul 08

Columbus, OH

#116130 Aug 3, 2012
Mikko wrote:
<quoted text>
atheism doesn't have a creed
Did I say it did?

Columbus, OH

#116131 Aug 3, 2012
NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>
More importantly, most atheists feel no affinity for communism, especially in the U.S.. It is hard to ignore the obvious truths that capitalism provides the best environment for business, that when business thrives, general prosperity follows, and that general prosperity tends to enhance comfort and reduce suffering in any population. Enhanced comfort and reduced suffering promotes peace and reduces violence. These are all good things that are impossible within a communistic structure. Modern American atheists share no kinship with the communists of the past.
I do not know whether most atheists do or don't share such an affinity. But certainly atheism does not require or imply adherence to a particularity social model such as communism, though it would seem to require a rejection of any form of theocracy.

And surely, classic communism can be separated from its atheist component. But as originally proposed by Marx and Engels, atheism was part of the package.

But there are Christian communists, and at least some early Christians practiced a communal form of the religion.

Columbus, OH

#116132 Aug 3, 2012
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
Did I say it did?
Correction: Did I say that?

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#116133 Aug 3, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Why is Dick a nickname for Richard?
Wiki:
Answer:
a man named Richard may be nicknamed Dick because that is the traditional diminutive form of the name Richard.
The name Richard is very old and it's true origins may well be lost in the depths of time past.
The name likely stems from Old English, since 'Ric' meant ruler and 'heard' meant hard.
It is also feasible that with the advent of rhyming slang, Richard would be shortened to Rich and then to Rick and on to Dick. Much like William - Will - Bill.
'Dick' eventually, like 'Jack', came to mean one of the common men as in "every Tom, Dick, or Harry". Shakespeare uses "every Tom, Dick, or Francis" in Henry IV Part I.
----------
So it is acceptable to call one named Richard,“Dick.”
Example: Richard has a brain. Can be written in as few as two words.“Dick brain.”
“Richard the head of the class has responded to a topix reply.” Can be written again in as few words possible.
“Dick head responds.”
More godbot nothing.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#116134 Aug 3, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
Hey maybe the dude In a turbin was just the doctor on call? Lots of those from the middle east! Maybe your dad thought he was a suicide bomber and that scared him into Jesus? And before you said he died an atheist now you say he died accepting Jesus?
Did you lie then or now?
<quoted text>
As a dog returns to his vomit, so a fool repeats his folly

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"As a dog returns to his vomit, so a fool repeats his folly" is an aphorism which appears in the Book of Proverbs in the Bible — Proverbs 26:11.

Its meaning is that fools are stubbornly inflexible and this is illustrated with the repulsive simile of the dog that eats its vomit again, even though this may be poisonous.

Dogs were considered unclean in Biblical times as they were commonly scavengers of the dead and they appear in the Bible as repugnant creatures, symbolizing evil.

The reference to vomit indicates excessive indulgence and so also symbolizes revulsion.

The incorrigible nature of fools is further emphasized in Proverbs 27:22, "Though thou shouldest bray a fool in a mortar among wheat with a pestle, yet will not his foolishness depart from him."

The "fool" spoken of is a person lacking moral behavior or discipline, just as the "wise" person in Proverbs is one who knows to (or knows how to) behave wisely.

Southern Illinois

#116135 Aug 3, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
That would be like putting a turd on a piece of sht!
<quoted text>
As a dog returns to his vomit, so a fool repeats his folly

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"As a dog returns to his vomit, so a fool repeats his folly" is an aphorism which appears in the Book of Proverbs in the Bible — Proverbs 26:11.

Its meaning is that fools are stubbornly inflexible and this is illustrated with the repulsive simile of the dog that eats its vomit again, even though this may be poisonous.

Dogs were considered unclean in Biblical times as they were commonly scavengers of the dead and they appear in the Bible as repugnant creatures, symbolizing evil.

The reference to vomit indicates excessive indulgence and so also symbolizes revulsion.

The incorrigible nature of fools is further emphasized in Proverbs 27:22, "Though thou shouldest bray a fool in a mortar among wheat with a pestle, yet will not his foolishness depart from him."

The "fool" spoken of is a person lacking moral behavior or discipline, just as the "wise" person in Proverbs is one who knows to (or knows how to) behave wisely.

Southern Illinois

#116136 Aug 3, 2012
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you still angry with me? You know that I was right and it hurt you.
I'm not angry with you.:)

Southern Illinois

#116137 Aug 3, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Are you serious? Do you really consider this a compelling argument, or even something worth saying?
Yes, I’m serious, if man evolved in mental capability.

Then why didn’t the primates who were in the same gene pool, the same environmental pressures, evolve?

To be our relatives, they sure haven’t advanced in mental ability over that last million years.

We don’t see gorillas working as professors in universities. Hell they don’t even do lawn maintenance.

“Rising”

Since: Dec 10

Milky Way

#116138 Aug 3, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I’m serious, if man evolved in mental capability.
Then why didn’t the primates who were in the same gene pool, the same environmental pressures, evolve?
To be our relatives, they sure haven’t advanced in mental ability over that last million years.
We don’t see gorillas working as professors in universities. Hell they don’t even do lawn maintenance.
There are key differences in our brains one being a enormous volume difference. Gorillas have about 550-650cc compared to humans 1400-1500 cc, but there is also a difference in the structure of the nerve fibers with humans having a higher concentration of neurons and connections between them.

It is surmised our diet changed from cooking food and processing
the plants that made us lose the huge jaws muscles that chimps and gorillas have to eat really fibrous plants, this allowed our brain cases to expand with our brains gaining volume. But this came as a trade off for they retain strength far surpassing ours.

Oddly enough it may be a darker side of us that initially that caused humans brains to evolve. Eating other hominids brains, and cannibalism may have played a role in this too. But chimps and gorillas are learning from us , though this is a quite slow process.

The truth is chimps by far have greater short term memory than humans and can repeat complicated tasks from memory that is beyond human ability. So don't just think they are completely stupid.

Southern Illinois

#116139 Aug 3, 2012
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
There are key differences in our brains one being a enormous volume difference. Gorillas have about 550-650cc compared to humans 1400-1500 cc, but there is also a difference in the structure of the nerve fibers with humans having a higher concentration of neurons and connections between them.
It is surmised our diet changed from cooking food and processing
the plants that made us lose the huge jaws muscles that chimps and gorillas have to eat really fibrous plants, this allowed our brain cases to expand with our brains gaining volume. But this came as a trade off for they retain strength far surpassing ours.
Oddly enough it may be a darker side of us that initially that caused humans brains to evolve. Eating other hominids brains, and cannibalism may have played a role in this too. But chimps and gorillas are learning from us , though this is a quite slow process.
The truth is chimps by far have greater short term memory than humans and can repeat complicated tasks from memory that is beyond human ability. So don't just think they are completely stupid.
I don’t think any animal is stupid by no means.

But regardless of any primates mental capacity it is no where near mans capability. We are light years ahead of them which makes me believe we didn’t evolve from primates.

If they were working next to us building cars for example. The argument of evolution would have a lot more traction. We are so far advanced than any other animal in the kingdom.

We can invent, create, construct, build, fly, do research, manufacture goods, sail on oceans, beneath the oceans and in space. The primates just do the same they always have done and that is live in the trees.

Man is something very different than any other animal.

“Rising”

Milky Way

#116140 Aug 3, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I don’t think any animal is stupid by no means.
But regardless of any primates mental capacity it is no where near mans capability. We are light years ahead of them which makes me believe we didn’t evolve from primates.
If they were working next to us building cars for example. The argument of evolution would have a lot more traction. We are so far advanced than any other animal in the kingdom.
We can invent, create, construct, build, fly, do research, manufacture goods, sail on oceans, beneath the oceans and in space. The primates just do the same they always have done and that is live in the trees.
Man is something very different than any other animal.
You have to understand yes we evolved thinking capabilities that exceed all other animals , but some may rival us but have no hands to build tools.(toothed whales) What we do know is that we absolutely evolved from the same creatures that took different paths. You cant look at it like we evolved from gorillas or chimps.
Humans gorillas and chimps all evolved from the ancient hominids like Ardipithecus , we branched a different way than gorillas.

There is another way of looking at and there is evidence of this also. They may have evolved from us. But when a hominid human predecessor is four feet tall and has splayed big toes and a 450 cc brain case it more resembles the chimp back then than the man.
But there is evidence the earliest of hominids may have been bipedal.
ARGUING with IDIOTS

Shasta Lake, CA

#116141 Aug 3, 2012
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>You have to understand yes we evolved thinking capabilities that exceed all other animals , but some may rival us but have no hands to build tools.(toothed whales) What we do know is that we absolutely evolved from the same creatures that took different paths. You cant look at it like we evolved from gorillas or chimps.
Humans gorillas and chimps all evolved from the ancient hominids like Ardipithecus , we branched a different way than gorillas.

There is another way of looking at and there is evidence of this also. They may have evolved from us. But when a hominid human predecessor is four feet tall and has splayed big toes and a 450 cc brain case it more resembles the chimp back then than the man.
But there is evidence the earliest of hominids may have been bipedal.
Hahahaha, funny stuff! Who told you this? Why would you believe it?

“Rising”

Milky Way

#116142 Aug 3, 2012
ARGUING with IDIOTS wrote:
<quoted text>
Hahahaha, funny stuff! Who told you this? Why would you believe it?
Evidence tells us many things , the study of anthropology and the evolution of the hominids. Morphology in their bone structures and the adaptation of life's organisms on Earth from 3.8 billion ya has
a compelling tale to tell. It's not a question of belief, it is a accumulation of knowledge and curiosity that drives us to learn the truth. The truth is told in the evidence and the key is following it to where it leads , despite what you may think. Because the truth is sometimes something you do not want to hear or see, never the less to follow it to the truth is the goal of the scientist.
You are a Joke

Shasta Lake, CA

#116143 Aug 3, 2012
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Evidence tells us many things , the study of anthropology and the evolution of the hominids. Morphology in their bone structures and the adaptation of life's organisms on Earth from 3.8 billion ya has
a compelling tale to tell. It's not a question of belief, it is a accumulation of knowledge and curiosity that drives us to learn the truth. The truth is told in the evidence and the key is following it to where it leads , despite what you may think. Because the truth is sometimes something you do not want to hear or see, never the less to follow it to the truth is the goal of the scientist.
You keep claiming there is evidence, but you never provide any. Also, you stated 3.8 billion years, you really think that is long enough for the evolutionary process?
You are a Joke

Shasta Lake, CA

#116144 Aug 3, 2012
Aura???

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 3 min PELE78 865,267
Pro Lifers Are The Same As liberals 23 min RiccardoFire 31
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 33 min RiccardoFire 6,515
Rajkot gay Topix 38 min jyesh 198
gay bottom in gurgaon (May '14) 53 min Puretop25Gurgaon 460
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 1 hr RiccardoFire 40,892
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 2 hr Peace_Warrior 612,915
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 2 hr karl44 599,894
The Christian Atheist debate 6 hr Kaitlin the Wolf ... 2,016
Sleeping with mother (Oct '13) 19 hr Frannie 44
More from around the web