Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#110871 Jul 6, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you Hiding but Iím not a linguist.
I could at one time speak and read a little Spanish but that was long ago.
Studying Ancient Hebrew, Greek and Aramaic is not something I want to do. Iíd rather be riding my motorcycle down the back roads of Illinois.
07Jul12.....

....while BobLoblah has the 'basics' of Eleven (11) languages, BobLoblah 'presently' would rather be riding BobLoblah's motorcycle down the coastLine of the Mediterranean.

Forever and Ever
BobLoblah

“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#110872 Jul 6, 2012
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>When Bob of QF kept quoting his favorite author I pointed out that Terry was a plagiarist. Instead of being civilized about it he started calling me a $5 hoor all across the Topix board. You can't reason with psychotic.
Terry Prachet plagiarized? I have real troubles believing that.

“Darwin died for your sins”

Since: Aug 08

Nunya

#110873 Jul 6, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, sir!
Shall I just your computer for you?
Indeed, madam!

“The eye has it...”

Since: Jan 12

Russell's teapot.

#110874 Jul 6, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Studying Ancient Hebrew, Greek and Aramaic is not something I want to do. Iíd rather be riding my motorcycle down the back roads of Illinois.
English, "Christianized", translations of the OT/NT are nothing like the faithful to word to word translations with full exploratory lexicons that other translations are.

Admittedly, I'm atheist, and due to that, I've discovered that it truly is myth, but, the differences are, at times, astounding in what translators have decided to put in place of words that while it does roughly translate to an approximate meaning, it still doesn't read the same. It just doesn't. It'd be difficult to describe the differences in this venue, except to say it's like the difference between real cornbread and that other stuff.

I'm commenting from the point of view of a former Christian, that was sent to private Christian schools, and had a class every day of the school year(plus church etc...) concerning the bible/Christianity.

I use it a good bit in responses here and other places, and I mention it, I recommend it, but Bible Works, http://www.bibleworks.com/ , is a really good bible software with around 100 translations of the bible. It has just about every relevant translation conceivable.

It almost removes the need to be fluent in all of the various languages that the bible was authored in/translated to in being able to cross reference and check against the original word meanings etc...

Almost.

I was atheist before I ever acquired the software, I became tired of being told I couldn't comment about Christianity or the bible(even with my education/upbringing), unless I knew the languages etc...so, I got it. It only reinforced what I knew already, and I say to this day.

A good Christian education is the best defense against Christianity.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#110875 Jul 6, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe the Earth is very old. I came to this conclusion after visiting the Grand Canyon. I donít think geologist are crazy when they say the Earth is billions of years old.
I also believe the Genesis account of creation. That everything was created in six days.
How can I believe both?
Genesis was written to a unlearned civilization. The story of creation had to be written in the simplest forms for them to understand. The six days of creation are the six steps or six stages of creation.
It comes down to what is the proper interpretation of Godís work day? Godís work day isnít the same as mans. It doesnít have to be.
And this is how we're going to get you to understand biological science!

Because if you're willing to allow for a deity powerful and smart enough to have a 13 billion year plan, evolution isn't any more difficult.

“There's a feeling I get...”

Since: Jun 11

...when I look to the West

#110876 Jul 6, 2012
bossdrop wrote:
<quoted text>Scientists that refute your beliefs, are fit to comment. And those are my sources.
You can't tell your arse from a hole in the ground. I have already established you to have zero understanding of any related to natural science. How can you even pretend to know what a good/bad source is?
bossdrop wrote:
<quoted text>
Scientists do understand the fundementals <sic> of the related fields.
Scientists do, yes
bossdrop wrote:
<quoted text>
And those are the Scientists that are used to refute your Lie.
Your sources has never anything to do with science
bossdrop wrote:
<quoted text>
The problem you have, is most of the Scientific Community refutes your belief that the Human originated by evolutionary processes.
Hahahahaha! Blatant lie. That is accepted in EVERY accredited university on earth.
bossdrop wrote:
<quoted text>
So you can't defend it. So the only recourse you have is to desperately try and claim that the scientists that disagree with you are a fraud. And those that use those scientists to refute your lie can't comment.
Sick religion you have there.
Okay. To prove your point, show me ONE (1) University accredited for the teaching of geology, biology, paleontology, anthroplogy that rejects The Theory of Evolution (man evolving from apes).

Just one.

I can give you a list of 10,000 universities that DO accept the Theory of Evolution (Yes, that includes man evolving from apes)

#110877 Jul 6, 2012
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
Meticulous research ability? Was it not you who argued that Criss Angel's levitation trick was real? You're out of your league, son.
Hahaha!

Good one!

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#110878 Jul 6, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
God has not lied. You are displeased because you no longer can hold Christianity to the very narrow definition of a day in creation.
Sorry, Iím not bound by your interpretation. Get mad, upset or whatever you do when you are disgruntled. What matters is what I believe.
We both can agree that the earth is very old, thatís for sure.
I'd just like to add, it was Bishop Ussher and not God who decided the Earth was only 6000 years old - 4004 BC, Oct. 27th at 9 AM, later changed to 11 AM with cutting edge information.

The Bible doesn't actually list dates of Creation.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#110879 Jul 6, 2012
_BobLoblah_ wrote:
<quoted text>06Jul12.....
.....and you would know.
Forever and Ever
BobLoblah
Ahhhhh, so sweet!

/hug

#110880 Jul 6, 2012
bossdrop wrote:
<quoted text>But you have no natural explanation for it. Only your fallback religious talking points that everything has to have a natural explanation.
You mind is too small and limited to compete with me atheist.
Uhh.

No

We have plenty of natural explanations. We have posted Youtube videos of other people faking it.

Magnets, Strings bought crowds are all sometimes used for different tricks.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#110881 Jul 6, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, that works too.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#110882 Jul 6, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
But such a thing would take actual effort and work! Lol no way Jose! Better to just say Christ is god believe or go to hell. Much easier yes?
<quoted text>
All kinds of things are easier!

#110883 Jul 6, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
"It's all about mindset.
You simply do not have a scientific mindset. You are bamboozled by dishonest hacks."
Mindset, eh?
What is that, getting your mind adjusted to think a certain way or something? Preconceived notions or approaches to something?
:-)
It's all about approach. Not just accepting a fact when someone tells you, but investigating

#110884 Jul 6, 2012
bossdrop wrote:
<quoted text>Your religion, is the most vile and disgusting atheist.
All you have is Scientists don't mean what they say....scientists that disagree with you are frauds...people that find scientists that refute, can't comment because they are not scientists.
LOL.
Stick to your religion atheist, bothers me none. I enjoy seeing the lengths you will go to defend your religion after the facts refute your beliefs.
Well, you scientists and sources cannot help you understand something as simple as an orbit.

Boss, you have the brain of a five year old!

You will do better quoting the back of a Kellog's box

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#110886 Jul 6, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Terry Prachet plagiarized? I have real troubles believing that.
Could be something like Buck's definition of "plagiarized". You remember, as in "New Age woo".

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#110887 Jul 6, 2012
A "bossdrop" is what I take every morning.

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#110888 Jul 6, 2012
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, you scientists and sources cannot help you understand something as simple as an orbit.
Boss, you have the brain of a five year old!
You will do better quoting the back of a Kellog's box
Ooooooooo...ouch. That one's gotta sting.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#110889 Jul 6, 2012
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
Could be something like Buck's definition of "plagiarized". You remember, as in "New Age woo".
I did a search, couldn't find anything. Pratchett and Gaimen talk about a genre stew that people borrow from.

It doesn't really surprise me that Nano would write that, though. She seems to find fault with everyone and everything.

“The eye has it...”

Since: Jan 12

Russell's teapot.

#110890 Jul 6, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
I'd just like to add, it was Bishop Ussher and not God who decided the Earth was only 6000 years old - 4004 BC, Oct. 27th at 9 AM, later changed to 11 AM with cutting edge information.
The Bible doesn't actually list dates of Creation.
<the deity> "OKAY, whew, I'm beat, 6 DAYS AND I'M ON SCHEDULE! Time for a rest, lemme see, 9 am ...wait, who am I talking to... and why do I need to talk? Crap, now I need to create language...*sigh*"

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#110891 Jul 6, 2012
Nontheist wrote:
<quoted text>
<the deity> "OKAY, whew, I'm beat, 6 DAYS AND I'M ON SCHEDULE! Time for a rest, lemme see, 9 am ...wait, who am I talking to... and why do I need to talk? Crap, now I need to create language...*sigh*"
If god is all powerful, why would need to rest?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 6 min Stilgar Fifrawi 764,587
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 7 min mike 603,613
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 11 min Michael 554,904
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 40 min Rick in Kansas 263,451
Moses never existed 41 min jjustice0981 558
Barack Obama's birth certificate: Where is trut... 1 hr Caesar 20
Blacks so Stupid to Burn they're own houses 2 hr yon 2
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 10 hr Catcher1 175,040

Top Stories People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE