Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#235417 Aug 26, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting first link. Do you understand what is being said?
Look at it from a strictly material view, meaning physics. I have posted quite a bit about it in my "alternative" physics discussions.
Jesus was a scientist. Started out watching trees grow.
Or something like that.
Well since the DotS is not a complete document - I would hesitate in saying that I do understand the text in its completeness. How can anyone make a conclusion on what something means if the complete information is lacking?

Do you have the missing words - those that are not in the text?

How is it that you can conceive a conclusion with this missing information.

Please send me a link to what you think this says and I'll read your commentary and then respond back to you here.

Are you willing to do that?
feces for jesus

Bellmore, NY

#235418 Aug 26, 2014
Stilgar Fifrawi wrote:
<quoted text>
RR died a painful, yet very necessary spiritual death a few months back and had to resign from Topix for a month.
But the spirit of RR remained, untamed, unconquered, unflattering, selfish, arrogant and ornery.
He needed to be dissolved, deluded and refined.
After a month of much needed prayer and meditation, he returned to Topix reborn with a new spirit of fellowship, understanding, kindness, selflessness and humility.
He was reborn anew, as Mr Fif.
Hi, I'm Mr Fif. Have we met?
Spare us your jesus complex, wacko.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#235419 Aug 26, 2014
feces for jesus wrote:
<quoted text>
Everything you post is unprovable BS.
Youíre shadow boxing.

Youíre fighting something you say doesnít exist.

I wouldnít waste my time fighting something I donít believe in.

For example I donít believe in Sasquatch.

I donít protest about Sasquatch, nor do I go around calling people that do liars. I just donít care and simply donít believe in these secretive hairy giants. Itís just folklore as far as Iím concerned.

Unlike you Iím not fighting about Sasquatch. I freaking donít care how many people believe and search for Sasquatch. Who the freak cares.

But you people care about our faith in God. It really bothers you.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#235420 Aug 26, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting first link. Do you understand what is being said?
Look at it from a strictly material view, meaning physics. I have posted quite a bit about it in my "alternative" physics discussions.
Jesus was a scientist. Started out watching trees grow.
Or something like that.
Since I haven't read it completely in a couple of years - if I recall - without your treatise - the partial text describes how the "spirit" will transcend this world.....

here is an excerpt that I thought is pertinent inthe dialogue:

"Matthew said, "Lord, I want to see that place of life,[the place] where there is no wickedness, but rather, there is pure light!"
The Lord said, "Brother Matthew, you will not be able to see it as long as you are carrying flesh around."
Matthew said, "Lord, even if I will not be able to see it, let me know it!"
The Lord said, "Everyone who has known himself has seen it in everything given to him to do,[...] and has come to [...] it in his goodness."
Believer

Euless, TX

#235421 Aug 26, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
I spent most of the weekend in bed with what I think is bronchitis. First time I have had it (hopefully the last) and being a bank holiday I canít get a doctorís appointment until Thursday.
Between coughing fits and naps I did manage to catch Rosberg losing all credibility, no wonder both Hamilton and Wolff are a bit peed off with him
Iíve not been to an open coffin wake but have attended one or two Irish style wakes recently. The last, the guy who had died left 10K behind the bar with instructions to hire a couple of bands (one ceili one heavy rock Ė old men can still surprise) and make sure everyone has a great time to remember him by. Misnomer... I really donít think many people remember much at all.
Hope you are filling better .
Maybe with that time in bed you read bible !
Prey you got better !
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#235422 Aug 26, 2014
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
You do realize that these qualifiers you pointed out as errors with the Jesus Seminar.....
....can also be applied to the Council of Nicea in 325 CE when a group of individuals first decided on what texts are to be included in the Bible and which are not to be...
- Use of a flawed voting system
- Ignoring evidence for eschatological teachings of Jesus
- Creating a Jesus based on the presuppositions of the members
You bias has caused you to fall short of complete information and then failed to compare it to existing historical content.
Don't you find it a bit odd that you will cut down the modern scholars for their efforts in trying to resolve this 2000 year old mystery, but you won't do this for those individuals from 1800+ years ago?
Like I said - you have included bias in your retort - which should be unbiased and factual.
Why do the followers of Christianity find it very difficult to be honest with others?
<quoted text>
My post has nothing of what you have declared to be in it.
Why are you trying to make up things about others that just isn't true and a blatant error on your behalf?
I think I know the reason why though - you are afraid what has been told to you is an accurate depiction of events, huh?
Scary, huh?
Open both eyes when addressing it - it helps alot.
Iím sorry, I find hilarity in people of non-faith selling themselves as being super intelligent. Then try selling us on a group of oddball misfits sitting in a circle counting colored beads about Jesus. As if this was some kind of legitimate study. This stuff is just too funny.

Maybe it would be different if they were counting M&Mís or colored skittles. The outcome might have been different because out of that group you know one of them would have eaten the evidence.[laughing]

Even the name of this guy that started this colored bead counting study of Jesus is comical,ďRobert Funk.Ē
You know the word ďFunkĒ means? A: Bad Humor [laughing]
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#235423 Aug 26, 2014
feces for jesus wrote:
<quoted text>
Spare us your jesus complex, wacko.
Why? Cause you said so?

Since: Sep 08

United States

#235424 Aug 26, 2014
<quoted text>
Well since the DotS is not a complete document - I would hesitate in saying that I do understand the text in its completeness. How can anyone make a conclusion on what something means if the complete information is lacking?
Do you have the missing words - those that are not in the text?
How is it that you can conceive a conclusion with this missing information.
Please send me a link to what you think this says and I'll read your commentary and then respond back to you here.
Are you willing to do that?
I shot most of my wad concerning this on here already in dribbles and drabbles. I hope you don't think I will provide you with a nice neat pre-digested synopsis of decades of observation and thinking about the matter for your perusal and critique. I kinda don't give a fu%k if you go to heaven or not, so to speak. It relates to that quality control thing you have seen me post about.

Let me make an observation about approach to gaining an understanding of what this is all about.

In this nice large and complex existence you are trained to read to gather information. You read the works of others and their interpretations, and they become your building blocks of logic and understanding. Even when they are wrong. You become a clone, a meme, of the thought processes of others. Education is a double edged sword.

You have an individual consciousness and ability to figure things out yourself. Your time to use it is limited. You may have noticed there is no universal truth and understanding in this world regarding just what we are. So a lot of what you have read are dead ends. Waste your time accepting those false truths, or try to discern sime basic patterns from observation.

That is not a new and original outlook on my part. It has been arrived at by many over the eons. But it gets lost in the noise.

Get some magnets and string and then merge what you observe and learn with what you read. It helps to create a bullshit detector. Do some experimenting and understanding on your own. What you read will then become more understandable on a real world basis.

But the most important thing to understand is you are in the middle of this flow of energy. Somewhere between what we design and create using those forces, and those forces creating us. That is a real biggie.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#235425 Aug 26, 2014
"the fulfilled promise" - as you state.....
And what is that?
<quoted text>
I think I would like to know, but I asked just to make sure you and I were going to be talking about the same thing.
As I figured, I somehow realized that you wouldn't post it outright, but would have to add your only literary comments to the post - all without posting to my question.
Are you afraid of something if you had?
C'mon KM - be clear in your retort....what is "the fulfilled promise" you claim was made by someone.
If you are talking about "dying for our sins" - well that sort of went by the wayside, don't you think? Especially when there is still sin in the world.
OR maybe you are referring to the fulfilled promise if Jesus died it would wipe away all the sins of the world. Well - as you can see - that didn't happen either.
Maybe, just amybe you are speaking on the fulfilled promise Jesus made that would allow people who do die, be allowed into heaven. Well - if this promise was made, it cannot be confirmed at all, UNTIL ONE DIES - so the "promise" you refer to is actually just a gesture of good faith by Jesus towards humans that would die after he.
There you go - you have multiple choices to clarify on what you mean.
BUt since you aren't a New Age Spiritual Leader - you couldn't figure this out for yourself, and had to talk down to me, in order for you to express yourself?
Yeah right KM - don't be so childish in your thinking, and maybe, you just may begin to better understand that which you do not - namely Jesus.
<quoted text>
No I am not. I understand quite clearly the OT is of Jewish origin and the NT of later Jewish converts.
Your diversion is an indicator that you choose not to answer, as it will incriminate your belief.
I understand - you are not the first so-called "Christian" that has refused to be honest with men, and then try to turn it around and back on me.
"Homey - don't play that way."
Here is your post that I first responded to:

<quoted text>
Where in this passage does Jesus call himself "God"?
Please stop- you aren't helping anyone, including yourself.
<quoted text>
:o)
Just trying to straighten out those damaged halos - one at a time.....*smiles*.....

Kimare wrote:
Well, lets see if you can follow.
1. Mankind was made in the image of God.
2. Christians are even called the children of God
3. Jesus accepted being called the only begotten Son of God.
Like Father like Son.
"When you've seen me, you've seen the Father."
Smile.

The context is a Bible verse.

The diversion is all yours.

You are not clever, you are a liar.

Man up punk.

Smile.

Location hidden

#235426 Aug 26, 2014
<quoted text>
With you admitting that you accept a second source as the scribe of Jesus, why don't you believe these other scribes (original Apostles)?
http://www.gnosis.org/naghamm/dialog.html
The Dialogue of the Saviour
http://www.gnosis.org/naghamm/gop.html
The Gospel of Philip
http://www.gnosis.org/naghamm/gth_pat_rob.htm
The Gospel of Thomas
http://www.gnosis.org/naghamm/sjc.html
The Sophia of Jesus Christ
You either are a hypocrite towards Jesus - or just human and refute to believe in what Jesus taught.
Which is it?
I admitted no such thing. It wasn't the issue.

What I did was answer your challenge. You lost, but instead of admitting it, you are vainly trying to shift like a slimy snake.

Gave up on explaining the Alien too, didn't you.

Man up punk.

Smile.
CunningLinguist

Orlando, FL

#235427 Aug 26, 2014
I am right wrote:
<quoted text>
You are a nutcase. You must be another dishonest atheist.
The nutcase you refer to are theists, like you, that post in atheist forums.

I am agnostic.

I shall give you one and only one chance to convert me to your fantasy.

Stump a theist !
Ask them WHY they believe in gods.

Consult your clergy, ask this and report back to this forum the answer you received.

Ask your clergy for evidence that proves your God is the one true God in a way that religions other than yours cannot do.

Ask your clergy for evidence that proves your holy book aka The Bible is true in a way that religions other than yours cannot do with their alleged Holy Book(s).

I do thank you for sharing both your obsession and mythology with us.

A religion impaired mind is always interesting to atheists.
Stephania

United States

#235428 Aug 26, 2014
Atheists and atheism requires more gay,pervs,transgender,and all other kind of non human being perversions to conclude that extermination of these pestilence non human s is coming soon from the God Jesus Christ.

Location hidden

#235429 Aug 26, 2014
CunningLinguist wrote:
<quoted text>
I am agnostic.
Stump a theist !
Consult your clergy, ask this and report back to this forum the answer you received.
Ask your clergy for evidence that proves your God is the one true God in a way that religions other than yours cannot do.
Ask your clergy for evidence that proves your holy book aka The Bible is true in a way that religions other than yours cannot do with their alleged Holy Book(s).
You are an agnostic?

Why?

There are only three possibilities. None take much time to discover.

1. There is not God.

2. There is a God who is not interested in you.

3. You are not sincere in your search.

The first two result in the same end, so really there are only two possibilities.this

So report back to this forum your decision, and quite being a sissy about it.

Smile.

Location hidden

#235430 Aug 26, 2014
'quit'
CunningLinguist

Orlando, FL

#235432 Aug 26, 2014
Stephania wrote:
Atheists and atheism requires more gay,pervs,transgender,and all other kind of non human being perversions to conclude that extermination of these pestilence non human s is coming soon from the God Jesus Christ.
Whew! This is too, too easy.

Grab thy bible quick!

On second thought I think sarcasm is more fitting

Are you a creepy Jeehovy Witness! No?
You are a TRUE Christian.
please take this pop quiz:

1. Do you believe in God?

A.Yes, I believe in my one TRUE God.
B.Yes, I have my own religious beliefs.
C.I'm not really sure but a sword to my throat would convince me.
D.No, I prefer fact to faith.

2. Do you believe in MY God?

A. Oh totally.(That's a fine sword you have there).
B.Nah, I already had one of those.
C.There is no God. Gasp!
D. Can god commit suicide?

3. Do you accept Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior?

A. You bet! One time, two times, three times my savior!
B. i'm not sure which God is better
C. Jesus who?
D. No, I'll opt out.

4. Have you read the King James Bible?

A. Yes! Like OMG, it's my freaking life!
B. Yeah, it was decent.
C. Yes, but The Cat in the Hat was better.
D. I'd rather eat a thumbtack sandwich than read that garbage.

5. The TRUE meaning of the 6th Commandment:

A. Thou shalt not kill anyone for any reason.
B.Thou shalt not kill anyone except for the people who don't believe in the same God you believe in or people who don't believe in God at all.
C. Thou shalt not kill except if they really piss you off.
D. Slay away! More people have been killed in the name of God than for any other reason in history.

The salvation of your eternal soul depends on how you answer the quiz.

Remember it is only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize...
There is always a way to solve problems without violence.
CunningLinguist

Orlando, FL

#235433 Aug 26, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
You are an agnostic?
Why?
1. There is not God.
The first two result in the same end, so really there are only two possibilities.this
Smile.
1. Lookup agnostic
2. There is zero evidence of any gods that existed in human history. Hearsay, the bible, is not evidence.
3. Your opinion matters nothing to me.

I posted to theists two simple questions that you cannot and will not answer.

Until that time you're free to retain your fantasy world.

It's not my fault that you remain, by personal choice, uneducated, scientifically challenged, allergic to fact.

Sissy? How juvenile

Is this the pabulum a man like you is made of?

pathetic

Location hidden

#235434 Aug 26, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
You are an agnostic?
Why?
1. There is not God.
Smile.
CunningLinguist wrote:
<quoted text>
1. Lookup agnostic
2. There is zero evidence of any gods that existed in human history. Hearsay, the bible, is not evidence.
3. Your opinion matters nothing to me.
I posted to theists two simple questions that you cannot and will not answer.
Until that time you're free to retain your fantasy world.
It's not my fault that you remain, by personal choice, uneducated, scientifically challenged, allergic to fact.
Sissy? How juvenile
Is this the pabulum a man like you is made of?
pathetic
Hiding behind an arbitrary decision that the existence of God can't be known?

Like I said, sissy.

Smile.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#235435 Aug 26, 2014
CunningLinguist wrote:
<quoted text>
I am agnostic.
Stump a theist !
Agnostic:
My definition: Cozy comfortable, Lazy, and indifferent.
Agnosticís world evolves around themselves. They are the center of their universe. The sun rotates around them and they donít rotate around the sun.
Their purpose in life is to always remain comfortable.
Lazy because they donít have the motivation to search for evidence of God.
Indifferent because they donít care one way or the other if the evidence is brought to them. As long as theyíre comfortable they have no need of a God so the evidence that is placed before them is worthless.
When the Agnostic world turns into a train wreck. They will either reach out to God or react with anger because their world crashed and they are no longer comfortable.
The Agnostic creed is like the Atheist creed.ďMe, myself and I. That center selfishness they have in common with Atheist.
CunningLinguist

Orlando, FL

#235437 Aug 26, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Agnostic:
My definition: Cozy comfortable, Lazy, and indifferent.
Agnosticís world evolves around themselves. They are the center of their universe. The sun rotates around them and they donít rotate around the sun.
Their purpose in life is to always remain comfortable.
Lazy because they donít have the motivation to search for evidence of God.
Indifferent because they donít care one way or the other if the evidence is brought to them. As long as theyíre comfortable they have no need of a God so the evidence that is placed before them is worthless.
When the Agnostic world turns into a train wreck. They will either reach out to God or react with anger because their world crashed and they are no longer comfortable.
The Agnostic creed is like the Atheist creed.ďMe, myself and I. That center selfishness they have in common with Atheist.
Coming from Theist like you , I take that as a compliment.

You believe in a book that has talking animals, wizards, witches, demons, sticks turning into snakes, food falling from the sky, people walking on water, and all sorts of magical, absurd and primitive stories, and you say that we are the ones that need help?

PULLEEZZE!

If the Prodigal Son's a parable, and if Adam and Eve are metaphors, then maybe God is just figure of speech.

If the answers to prayer are merely what God wills all along, then why pray?

The next time believers tell you that 'separation of church and state' does not appear in our founding document, tell them to stop using the word 'trinity.'

The word 'trinity' appears nowhere in the bible. Neither does Rapture, or Second Coming, or Original Sin.

If they are still unfazed (or unphrased) by this, then add Omniscience, Omnipresence, Supernatural, Transcendence, Afterlife, Deity, Divinity, Theology, Monotheism, Missionary, Immaculate Conception, Christmas, Christianity, Evangelical, Fundamentalist, Methodist, Catholic, Pope, Cardinal, Catechism, Purgatory, Penance, Transubstantiation, Excommunication, Dogma, Chastity, Unpardonable Sin, Infallibility, Inerrancy, Incarnation, Epiphany, Sermon, Eucharist, the Lord's Prayer, Good Friday, Doubting Thomas, Advent, Sunday School, Dead Sea, Golden Rule, Moral, Morality, Ethics, Patriotism, Education, Atheism, Apostasy, Conservative (Liberal is in), Capital Punishment, Monogamy, Abortion, Pornography, Homosexual, Lesbian, Fairness, Logic, Republic, Democracy, Capitalism, Funeral, Decalogue, or Bible.

Frankly, it is hard to believe that someone can live in the age of information and be so out of touch with it.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#235438 Aug 26, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
I shot most of my wad concerning this on here already in dribbles and drabbles. I hope you don't think I will provide you with a nice neat pre-digested synopsis of decades of observation and thinking about the matter for your perusal and critique. I kinda don't give a fu%k if you go to heaven or not, so to speak. It relates to that quality control thing you have seen me post about.
Let me make an observation about approach to gaining an understanding of what this is all about.
In this nice large and complex existence you are trained to read to gather information. You read the works of others and their interpretations, and they become your building blocks of logic and understanding. Even when they are wrong. You become a clone, a meme, of the thought processes of others. Education is a double edged sword.
You have an individual consciousness and ability to figure things out yourself. Your time to use it is limited. You may have noticed there is no universal truth and understanding in this world regarding just what we are. So a lot of what you have read are dead ends. Waste your time accepting those false truths, or try to discern sime basic patterns from observation.
That is not a new and original outlook on my part. It has been arrived at by many over the eons. But it gets lost in the noise.
Get some magnets and string and then merge what you observe and learn with what you read. It helps to create a bullshit detector. Do some experimenting and understanding on your own. What you read will then become more understandable on a real world basis.
But the most important thing to understand is you are in the middle of this flow of energy. Somewhere between what we design and create using those forces, and those forces creating us. That is a real biggie.
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
I shot most of my wad concerning this on here already in dribbles and drabbles.
I find that sentence disturbing.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 6 min confrinting with ... 574,713
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 11 min scaritual 810,788
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 20 min Aura Mytha 269,150
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 25 min Seentheotherside 39,683
If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 32 min Some Stoner Dude 1,049
Black people are more evolved then white people? (May '13) 33 min Stuart 52
What do u think of Jesus Christ?(God) (Oct '06) 34 min Some Stoner Dude 69,807
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 50 min trifecta1 608,338
More from around the web