Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 254882 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#235524 Aug 27, 2014
Stilgar Fifrawi wrote:
Stilgar Fifrawi wrote:
"The Father and I are One." -Jesus
<quoted text>
You see the part where he says "The Father and I are One."?
I'm pretty sure that means "The Father and I are One."....
Yes I do - "one in spirit".....

You do understand this, right?

Albuquerque, NM

#235525 Aug 27, 2014
Stilgar Fifrawi wrote:
<quoted text>
What? You're not making any sense.
I made perfect sense. Maybe it is you who failed to comprehend what I post.

Odd that you were the only one who responded this way.

But then again, I get the same type of response from other so-called "Christians".

All it tells me is that the individual(s) refused to investigate the statement(s).

Carry on.

Albuquerque, NM

#235526 Aug 27, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I respectfully disagree with you Buck. You know I love you but I just see it different. I think that Michael Brown was a good person most of his life. At least I want to believe that of him and for whatever reason he strayed away from his upbringing momentarily.
He did shove a store clerk but what he didn’t do was beat him unconscious. He didn’t come storming in that store with an AK-47. Yes he robbed a store of $50 worth of merchandise. It was wrong and he should have been arrested and face prosecution.
If this officer had been a petite 95 pound female officer then perhaps fear of her life may have been a factor in shooting this young man. But that is far from the case. This cop shot dead a unarmed suspect. Even if there was a tussle between the two. Cops are trained for tussles.
I don’t believe that nonsense that Michael was reaching for that cops gun. He may have been trying to keep that officer from pulling his gun. A bad move on his part but considering the outcome perhaps it wasn’t.
This officer should be charged with manslaughter. He had other options including his radio (calling for back up), pepper spray, tasers, nightsticks, training in hand to hand combat. Anyway you look at it this idiot cop shot dead a unarmed young man. I don’t believe it was murder. But I do believe it was manslaughter and he should go to prison for being an idiot.
According to the premise of Chrsitianity - Michael Brown is now in "hell".

Why some of you may ask.....well.....he stole - broke a commandment, and failed to repent and ask for forgiveness before dying.

Sounds to me that he went to "hell'.

Bummer for him and all those people who are skipping over this and giving him a "family" send-off.
I wonder why they never mention this part of the story?
John Fladgat

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#235528 Aug 27, 2014
discocrisco wrote:
Maybe, the Christians got it right on the God thing. What they didn't know that is there is intelligent life right and God manifested himself in another way than us.
And there is millions of our civilizations among this universe and millions of ways God revealed himslf to them
But see it was none of business to know how he did it. It is beyond our feeble little minds. Us humans think we are terminally unique. Guess what. We are not. We are little specks in the infinite, large cosmos.
I have to agree. Baha'u'llah said there were other planets with creatures on them a long, long time ago. I believe him and scientists just catching up. I am reassured that the Big Boss is Boss of all universes!

Since: Sep 08

United States

#235529 Aug 27, 2014
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
You may be onto something here....
I wonder if the fear of someone being born through stem cell research would be in fact:
a. not born of a human - therefore "no sin" is involved.
b. This being could be the first RIGHTEOUS individual born since Noah was deemed as such.
"b." could change the world as we know it....*smiles*....
I can see why the US government has deemed it illegal.
I can understand why religious people also rebuke it.....it blows their lives out of the water, because a non-sin person would be born.
I would say your definition of sin was limited and incorrect.

BTW, it isn't physics, astrophysics, or any of those type sciences that have any real interest ln demonizing religion. It is the bioresearch industry that does. Religious beliefs of most persuasions have always been resistant to using humans as guinea pigs.

United States

#235530 Aug 27, 2014
<quoted text>
More like a branch is part of the parent tree.

Of course you also then have branches branching off that branch.

Jesus understood how trees grew.

Albuquerque, NM

#235531 Aug 27, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
I would say your definition of sin was limited and incorrect.
BTW, it isn't physics, astrophysics, or any of those type sciences that have any real interest ln demonizing religion. It is the bioresearch industry that does. Religious beliefs of most persuasions have always been resistant to using humans as guinea pigs.
FYI - I don't believe in sin.

I also don't believe that mental thoughts are "sins of the flesh".....like so many others do.

I used a limited example of "sin" because that particular "sin" - original sin - is bogus and wanted to rile up so-called "Christians" with posting it.

I guess it had a smaller impact on you, huh?

Peace.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

The Borderland of Sol

#235532 Aug 27, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
More like a branch is part of the parent tree.
Of course you also then have branches branching off that branch.
Jesus understood how trees grew.
Not very well, it seems. He once cursed a fig tree for not bearing fruit out of season.

"12 The next day as they were leaving Bethany, Jesus was hungry. 13 Seeing in the distance a fig tree in leaf, he went to find out if it had any fruit. When he reached it, he found nothing but leaves, because it was not the season for figs. 14 Then he said to the tree,“May no one ever eat fruit from you again.” And his disciples heard him say it." - Mark 11 - something.

A clearer thinker, of course, would have simply commanded the thing to bear fruit anyway - after all, that worked with those loaves and fishes, didn't it?

Or did it?

Sheesh.
CunningLinguist

Orlando, FL

#235534 Aug 27, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you, we do try.[tipping hat].
Yes you do!
You always give the devil two black eyes eaglet!

Unfortunately there is no devil.

Topical question for you eagle...
Who freed the slaves was it Lincoln or was it John Wilkes Booth?

One large says you get it wrong!
CunningLinguist

Orlando, FL

#235535 Aug 27, 2014
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Not very well, it seems. He once cursed a fig tree for not bearing fruit out of season.
"12 The next day as they were leaving Bethany, Jesus was hungry. 13 Seeing in the distance a fig tree in leaf, he went to find out if it had any fruit. When he reached it, he found nothing but leaves, because it was not the season for figs. 14 Then he said to the tree,“May no one ever eat fruit from you again.” And his disciples heard him say it." - Mark 11 - something.
A clearer thinker, of course, would have simply commanded the thing to bear fruit anyway - after all, that worked with those loaves and fishes, didn't it?
Or did it?
Sheesh.
Now now...

When Dabbling in superstition virtually anything is possible.

Except God committing suicide!
Which I highly recommend.
Patrick

United States

#235536 Aug 27, 2014
CunningLinguist wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes you do!
"The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.... Well I believe in God, and the only thing that scares me is Keyser Soze." :-)- Keyser Soze
and bad coffee scares me a bit

United States

#235537 Aug 27, 2014
<quoted text>
FYI - I don't believe in sin.
I also don't believe that mental thoughts are "sins of the flesh".....like so many others do.
I used a limited example of "sin" because that particular "sin" - original sin - is bogus and wanted to rile up so-called "Christians" with posting it.
I guess it had a smaller impact on you, huh?
Peace.
Your desire to "rile up" is interesting. Perhaps you should discuss it with a shrink.

Sin can only be that which is destructive to a creature's integrity as a physical being, which also includes the environment it exists in. This can be done through ignorance or just because they want to be mean, such as wanting to rile people up, which in itself is ignorance. Selfishness falls in there somewhere, too.

Didn't they teach you that shit in guru school?
Patrick

United States

#235538 Aug 27, 2014
CunningLinguist wrote:
<quoted text>

--Side Bar--
After the Emancipation Proclamation large numbers slaves migrated to Union Lines thus in effect freeing themselves. Historian James McPherson also posed the question who freed the slaves.

"McPherson readily conceded that slaves actively participated in their own emancipation. But Lincoln's role, McPherson argues, was even more central to the cause of freedom. In McPherson's words, Lincoln freed the slaves by:

!"Pronouncing slavery a moral evil that must come to an end and then winning the Presidency in 1860."

!"Provoking the South to secede."

!"Refusing to compromise on the issue of slavery's expansion, or Fort Sumter."

!"Knitting together a Unionist coalition [in] the first year of the war and committing to emancipation in the second."

!"Refusing to compromise this policy once he had adopted it."

!"Prosecuting the war to unconditional victory as commander-in-chief of the army of liberation."

http://socrates.bmcc.cuny.edu/bfriedheim/his2...

No going for freshly brewed coffee - Peace

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#235539 Aug 27, 2014
No I don't understand that. That's what you say, not Jesus.

24 The Jews who were there gathered around him, saying,“How long will you keep us in suspense? If you are the Messiah, tell us plainly.”

Jesus answered,“I did tell you, but you do not believe. The works I do in my Father’s name testify about me, but you do not believe because you are not my sheep. My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one will snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father’s hand. I and the Father are one.”

Where's the "one in spirit" part?

United States

#235540 Aug 27, 2014
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Not very well, it seems. He once cursed a fig tree for not bearing fruit out of season.
Or did it?
Sheesh.
Was it a curse or protecting the tree? People eat the fruit and the seeds go to waste. The tree was following nature. A good tree. If it bore fruit out of season something was wrong with it.

Try thinking deeper about things, Mac.

Glad the gators haven't got you yet.

The Borderland of Sol

#235541 Aug 27, 2014
CunningLinguist wrote:
<quoted text>
Now now...
When Dabbling in superstition virtually anything is possible.
Except God committing suicide!
Which I highly recommend.
I know, I know...

United States

#235542 Aug 27, 2014
CunningLinguist wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes you do!
Christian abolitionists and the political pressure they exerted.

The Borderland of Sol

#235543 Aug 27, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Was it a curse or protecting the tree? People eat the fruit and the seeds go to waste. The tree was following nature. A good tree. If it bore fruit out of season something was wrong with it.
Try thinking deeper about things, Mac.
Glad the gators haven't got you yet.
Of course the seeds don't go to waste. That's how the tree propagates.

And killing it to save it? That's Tolkienesque.
CunningLinguist

Orlando, FL

#235544 Aug 27, 2014
Patrick wrote:
<quoted text>
"The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.... Well I believe in God, and the only thing that scares me is Keyser Soze." :-)- Keyser Soze
and bad coffee scares me a bit
Gr8t movie that

Spacy was terrific in that role.

Here's something of interest in the silence is deafening category

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/aug/...

Where are the rioters and archers and out right thieves?
CunningLinguist

Orlando, FL

#235545 Aug 27, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Christian abolitionists and the political pressure they exerted.
David you took the bait check this out

On Aug. 14 1862, Abraham Lincoln hosted a "Deputation of Free Negroes" at the White House, led by the Rev. Joseph Mitchell, commissioner of emigration for the Interior Department. It was the first time African Americans had been invited to the White House on a policy matter. The five men were there to discuss a scheme that even a contemporary described as a "simply absurd" piece of "charlatanism": resettling emancipated slaves on a 10,000-acre parcel of land in present-day Panama.

Lincoln immediately began filibustering his guests with arguments so audacious that they retain the ability to shock a reader 150 years later. "You and we are different races," he began, and "have between us a broader difference than exists between almost any other two races."

The African-American race suffered greatly, he continued, "by living among us, while ours suffers from your presence."

Lincoln went on to suggest, "But for your race among us, there could not be war," and "without the institution of Slavery and the colored race as a basis, the war could not have an existence." The only solution, he concluded, was "for us both ... to be separated."

A valid argument can be made that if not for the assassination of Lincoln by John Wilkes Booth, the slaves would be in Panama.

Google: Lincolns Panama Plan

Surprise surprise

We skeptics love this stuff

And, I noticed you commenting about the advance in Ferguson

One another eye-opener?

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/aug/...

Where is the outrage?
For that matter the media?

Disclaimer: All spelling errors made by Siri are deliberately left in for my amusement, they are forgiven, will go to paradise and receive 72 dictionaries.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
New Asian Leaders (NAL) 6 min doreeners 2
Why do white men hate white women who want blac... (May '11) 9 min Johnny 3,584
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 11 min guest 637,038
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 16 min Steve 618,133
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 25 min truth 44,069
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 37 min River Tam 28,049
Should Black People Forgive White People for Sl... (Jun '07) 56 min Johnny 4,716
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 2 hr Ravianna 968,651
More from around the web