Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 254884 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#235298 Aug 25, 2014
Lab28 wrote:
<quoted text>
I like how in the face of atheist atrocity you crusaders always have this "say it ain't so" attitude in order to dispute the facts about your religion.
Are you sure you want to stop talking about the bible. Because as I recall I have been wanting to discuss the implications of your faith, and there is one aching question that no one seems to want to touch. But I'll keep it in my pocket for now.
Now, I may be ignorant of these things, but as far as I can reckon if there is no God, there is no meaning to life, and if there is no meaning to life we ought to be sucking every pleasure we possibly can from it regardless of consequence.
If there is something in our brains disagreeing with that, it is simply because the chemicals in our brains are reacting in an undesirable way. In fact feelings are nothing more than chemical balances and are therefore meaningless and untrustworthy. The goal then would be to eliminate negative feelings like shame, guilt, remorse in order to feel better about what choices we make regardless of those choices.
Empathy is a waste of time, so is compassion, what real difference does it make, unless I plan on getting something in return for my empathy or my compassion. Perhaps the brain juices controlling me will reward me for it, but there are much quicker ways to activate neurotransmitters, if you know what I mean.
This is the part where someone says "I don't need religion to be a decent person." But the point I am making is what constitutes a decent person in a bleak and merciless world that was spawned in chaos? Standards on morality are simply relativistic to our culture, things passed down generation after generation which have aided us in our survival, but which are now obsolete now that we know the great truth in atheism.
It is either that, or we fritter away our lives believing that we are making a difference on this hunk of dirt that if it isn't consumed by a solar flare or decimated by a comet will be incinerated by the sun long after we have become part of the dirt and history has forgotten every fact about us.
People like you terrify me, and to some extent make me grateful that religion exists to keep you in check.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#235299 Aug 25, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
There are lots of scripture that support my belief that Jesus was and is God. But for the sake of time let’s look at John 14: 7-10
Here in this scripture Jesus tells his disciples that he is the Father (God).
John 14:10
7 If ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also: and from henceforth ye know him, and have seen him.
8 Philip saith unto him, Lord, show us the Father, and it sufficeth us.
9 Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Show us the Father?
10 Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works.
It’s pretty clear to me Jesus is telling us he is God.
Now Jesus had a human side. The shortest scripture in the bible was “Jesus wept.” That was Jesus human flesh weeping which was the shell or outer layer. Which was born of flesh making his flesh the son of God. But his spirit was God manifested in the flesh. Jesus was God, the same God that created all things. Even his name means “God with us,” as it was foretold in the book of Isaiah.
The scripture John 10:30 where Jesus says,“I and my Father are one.” Meaning we are the same person.
John 1:1 simplifies this message by saying:
John 1 King James Version (KJV)
1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
2 The same was in the beginning with God.
3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.
The spirit inside Jesus Christ was God the creator.
Matthew 3:17 - Here we have a scripture where the Spirit of God is acknowledging Jesus is the Son of God. The spirit is talking about the humanity of Jesus, his flesh, his outer shell. But his spirit was God manifested in the flesh.
Hmmmm....lots of "John" calling Jesus "God".....and so forth.

You've already admitted that Jesus never called himself "God", but now you still are trying to prove the opposite.

Odd.

Why do you read more into these passages than what the original author probably intended?

Please post where "God" specifically states which texts are of "His inspiration" and which are not, in order for us to justify what is "of God" and what is not. This way, we can be completely sure that "John" was one of the texts "God" inspired.

You can do this, right?

Use your COMPLETE honesty when making your next post, okay?

Thanks!

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#235300 Aug 25, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Isaiah 9: 7
For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counseller, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.
Jesus Christ the son of God was and is the great I Am, the King of Kings, Lord of Lords and God of all Gods, the mighty God. God manifested in the flesh.
Where in this passage does Jesus call himself "God"?

Please stop- you aren't helping anyone, including yourself.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#235301 Aug 25, 2014
Stilgar Fifrawi wrote:
<quoted text>
"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."
RR - we've gone over this n the past multiple times. "John" is not Jesus.

We already know that anyone can claim Jesus as "God", but there is no evidence to support the claim.

Unless you have something that hasn't been conveyed yet. Do you?

I can see why you use a third party source - because that is all you have to offer.

Honesty RR - honesty.....you aren't exhibiting it here.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#235302 Aug 25, 2014
Exodus 33:18-23 (NASB)
18 Then Moses said, "I pray You, show me Your glory!"
19 And He said, "I Myself will make all My goodness pass before you, and will proclaim the name of the LORD before you; and I will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and will show compassion on whom I will show compassion."
20 But He said, "You cannot see My face, for no man can see Me and live!"
21 Then the LORD said, "Behold, there is a place by Me, and you shall stand there on the rock;
22 and it will come about, while My glory is passing by, that I will put you in the cleft of the rock and cover you with My hand until I have passed by.
23 "Then I will take My hand away and you shall see My back, but My face shall not be seen."

Note;
-Seeing God was a life-threatening danger.
-God used three forms of protection for the radiation;
Behind a rock
Shielded with His hand
Only allowed a partial view (back)

Exodus 34:29-35 (NASB)
29 It came about when Moses was coming down from Mount Sinai (and the two tablets of the testimony were in Moses' hand as he was coming down from the mountain), that Moses did not know that the skin of his face shone because of his speaking with Him.
30 So when Aaron and all the sons of Israel saw Moses, behold, the skin of his face shone, and they were afraid to come near him.
31 Then Moses called to them, and Aaron and all the rulers in the congregation returned to him; and Moses spoke to them.
32 Afterward all the sons of Israel came near, and he commanded them to do everything that the LORD had spoken to him on Mount Sinai.
33 When Moses had finished speaking with them, he put a veil over his face.
34 But whenever Moses went in before the LORD to speak with Him, he would take off the veil until he came out; and whenever he came out and spoke to the sons of Israel what he had been commanded,
35 the sons of Israel would see the face of Moses, that the skin of Moses' face shone. So Moses would replace the veil over his face until he went in to speak with Him.

Note; The effect of radiation.

Please explain how a accurate description of radiation's danger, affect and protection appeared in a story about a Alien visiting humans in a fiction book written by numerous authors, distorted by time and translation occurred.

Smile.
CunningLinguist

Orlando, FL

#235303 Aug 25, 2014
Patrick wrote:
<quoted text>
While eating a ham sandwich I often wonder at my commitment to animal rights.:-(
Good day Patrick

While I am a carnivore like you, torturing animals for entertainment is not something I approve.

To call bullfighting a sport is a travesty.

I guess we can assume that they eat the bull after they killed it for entertainment, or maybe the carcass is just thrown away.

Disclaimer: All spelling errors made by Siri are forgiven, go to paradise and receive 72 dictionaries.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#235304 Aug 25, 2014
Stilgar Fifrawi wrote:
<quoted text>
"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."
Amen!
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#235305 Aug 25, 2014
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmmmm....lots of "John" calling Jesus "God".....and so forth.
You've already admitted that Jesus never called himself "God", but now you still are trying to prove the opposite.
Odd.
Why do you read more into these passages than what the original author probably intended?
Please post where "God" specifically states which texts are of "His inspiration" and which are not, in order for us to justify what is "of God" and what is not. This way, we can be completely sure that "John" was one of the texts "God" inspired.
You can do this, right?
Use your COMPLETE honesty when making your next post, okay?
Thanks!
You didn't read my post so why should I read and answer yours? If you had read the post you wouldn't be asking the same question.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#235306 Aug 25, 2014
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
RR - we've gone over this n the past multiple times. "John" is not Jesus.
We already know that anyone can claim Jesus as "God", but there is no evidence to support the claim.
Unless you have something that hasn't been conveyed yet. Do you?
I can see why you use a third party source - because that is all you have to offer.
Honesty RR - honesty.....you aren't exhibiting it here.
You are willfully refusing to comprehend what’s being posted. That shows in itself that you have no argument so instead you throw up a resistance based on stubbornness. Your boat is full of holes and you are sinking.
CunningLinguist

Orlando, FL

#235307 Aug 25, 2014
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
Where in this passage does Jesus call himself "God"?
Please stop- you aren't helping anyone, including yourself.
Please be kind to the poor eaglet...

Don't deflate any more eagle12 balloons with this information.

Meeting for the first time in March 1985, the Jesus Seminar has periodically
brought together dozens of university scholars and gospel specialists
representing every shade of Christian thought, plus a few Jews and atheists.

In their initial study, the scholars collected more than 1500 versions of
approximately 500 Jesus parables, aphorisms, dialogues, and stories written
during the first 300 years of Christianity.

After 6 years of debate and reflection the consensus was that 82% of the
words attributed to Jesus were fake.

In phase two, between 1991 and 1996, the Jesus Seminar considered 387
versions of 176 'Jesus events'. Their conclusion: 84% of the activities
attributed to Jesus were bogus.

In contrast, Caesar's words and deeds are fully documented by multiple
witnesses.

Disclaimer: All spelling errors made by Siri are forgiven, go to paradise and receive 72 dictionaries.
Young person

United States

#235308 Aug 25, 2014
I shall not argue with anyone because they are wrong !
Thou shall not judge !
Life is not a result of the Big Bang theory !
That's a tv sitcom !

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#235309 Aug 25, 2014
KiMare wrote:
Exodus 33:18-23 (NASB)
18 Then Moses said, "I pray You, show me Your glory!"
19 And He said, "I Myself will make all My goodness pass before you, and will proclaim the name of the LORD before you; and I will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and will show compassion on whom I will show compassion."
20 But He said, "You cannot see My face, for no man can see Me and live!"
21 Then the LORD said, "Behold, there is a place by Me, and you shall stand there on the rock;
22 and it will come about, while My glory is passing by, that I will put you in the cleft of the rock and cover you with My hand until I have passed by.
23 "Then I will take My hand away and you shall see My back, but My face shall not be seen."
Note;
-Seeing God was a life-threatening danger.
-God used three forms of protection for the radiation;
Behind a rock
Shielded with His hand
Only allowed a partial view (back)
Exodus 34:29-35 (NASB)
29 It came about when Moses was coming down from Mount Sinai (and the two tablets of the testimony were in Moses' hand as he was coming down from the mountain), that Moses did not know that the skin of his face shone because of his speaking with Him.
30 So when Aaron and all the sons of Israel saw Moses, behold, the skin of his face shone, and they were afraid to come near him.
31 Then Moses called to them, and Aaron and all the rulers in the congregation returned to him; and Moses spoke to them.
32 Afterward all the sons of Israel came near, and he commanded them to do everything that the LORD had spoken to him on Mount Sinai.
33 When Moses had finished speaking with them, he put a veil over his face.
34 But whenever Moses went in before the LORD to speak with Him, he would take off the veil until he came out; and whenever he came out and spoke to the sons of Israel what he had been commanded,
35 the sons of Israel would see the face of Moses, that the skin of Moses' face shone. So Moses would replace the veil over his face until he went in to speak with Him.
Note; The effect of radiation.
Please explain how a accurate description of radiation's danger, affect and protection appeared in a story about a Alien visiting humans in a fiction book written by numerous authors, distorted by time and translation occurred.
Smile.
So - KM....just so I understand your position from this point forth.....symbolism in this holy book is a valid explanation. Thus....when one is to read what the early Sumerians placed in cuneiform on tablets, in symbolism - the meaning is actually true?

If so, then you've just proven many theories of ancient astronauts coming to Earth and - first"creating" men, and then "destroying" men.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/ane/sum/sum06.htm

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#235310 Aug 25, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
You didn't read my post so why should I read and answer yours? If you had read the post you wouldn't be asking the same question.
Oh - I read your post - you think men can make a truthful statement about someone who they never met, but still use texts and stories about this man, that seems to give them exclusive inspiration from "God'" and the ability to discern incomplete information, in order to make you believe in a certain belief and direction. You put it as....."Jesus is God - I have plenty of passages by men to prove it!"
- Really? Do you think I was born yesterday? Your excitement is textual criticism nightmare.
- Please post where "God" specifically states which texts are of "His" inspiration and which are not.

As for your premise - I disagreed and I still disagree. I've shown you evidence that supports my position in a much stronger way than any of which you put out here - but all you do is admonish a post of mine that you won't accept.

Yeah - I gotcha Eagle - you are afraid to believe in all of what Jesus taught, yet come on an Atheistic forum to only think - "If I speak about Jesus - I'm sure to change someone!" You are way over-zealous if you think you are right in any manner.

You are one of many. Your ilk is why our planet is so scared of progression - but think 'sacred' is more important, even when you don't believe in the complete person you worship.

Cheers!

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#235311 Aug 25, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
You are willfully refusing to comprehend what’s being posted. That shows in itself that you have no argument so instead you throw up a resistance based on stubbornness. Your boat is full of holes and you are sinking.
Actually not. In fact - I am hitting it straight on the head - as they say.....just to see how honest you are. ANd I can tell - you don't like to be honest with me or yourself......bummer.

Since I've been very open in my thoughts - you aren't really one to speak on this topic.

Please show me where I've been stubborn and resistance to answer. I think you are running out of straws to reach out after.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#235312 Aug 25, 2014
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
Where in this passage does Jesus call himself "God"?
Please stop- you aren't helping anyone, including yourself.
CunningLinguist wrote:
<quoted text>
Please be kind to the poor eaglet...
Don't deflate any more eagle12 balloons with this information.
Meeting for the first time in March 1985, the Jesus Seminar has periodically
brought together dozens of university scholars and gospel specialists
representing every shade of Christian thought, plus a few Jews and atheists.
In their initial study, the scholars collected more than 1500 versions of
approximately 500 Jesus parables, aphorisms, dialogues, and stories written
during the first 300 years of Christianity.
After 6 years of debate and reflection the consensus was that 82% of the
words attributed to Jesus were fake.
In phase two, between 1991 and 1996, the Jesus Seminar considered 387
versions of 176 'Jesus events'. Their conclusion: 84% of the activities
attributed to Jesus were bogus.
In contrast, Caesar's words and deeds are fully documented by multiple
witnesses.
Disclaimer: All spelling errors made by Siri are forgiven, go to paradise and receive 72 dictionaries.
:o)

Just trying to straighten out those damaged halos - one at a time.....*smiles*.....

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#235313 Aug 25, 2014
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
So - KM....just so I understand your position from this point forth.....symbolism in this holy book is a valid explanation. Thus....when one is to read what the early Sumerians placed in cuneiform on tablets, in symbolism - the meaning is actually true?
If so, then you've just proven many theories of ancient astronauts coming to Earth and - first"creating" men, and then "destroying" men.
http://www.sacred-texts.com/ane/sum/sum06.htm
I'm not relating this passage to any other writing. I'm asking for an explanation for how this and several other descriptions at this time occurred that we can only understand at this time.

You may want to plan on explaining the cloud by day and fire by night floating over the tribe.

Oh, and don't forget the fulfilled promise of the Alien that we observe in the Jews this very day.

Smile.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#235314 Aug 25, 2014
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
Where in this passage does Jesus call himself "God"?
Please stop- you aren't helping anyone, including yourself.
<quoted text>
:o)
Just trying to straighten out those damaged halos - one at a time.....*smiles*.....
Well, lets see if you can follow.
1. Mankind was made in the image of God.
2. Christians are even called the children of God
3. Jesus accepted being called the only begotten Son of God.
Like Father like Son.
"When you've seen me, you've seen the Father."
Smile.
CunningLinguist

Orlando, FL

#235315 Aug 25, 2014
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
Where in this passage does Jesus call himself "God"?
Please stop- you aren't helping anyone, including yourself.
<quoted text>
:o)
Just trying to straighten out those damaged halos - one at a time.....*smiles*.....
Good luck with that!

It is unfortunate that theists are scientifically illiterate.

The World is fortunate that only 7% of scientists are this illiterate.

The more education a person has the less religiosity. I don't say this to be demeaning to theists only I think they do not understand science.

Science questions everything, it experiments, it relies on accurate results, science is never satisfied. Investigation not revelation.

I will admit that it is possible for some people to be born with their brain 'hardwired' for a God... and logic/reason cannot, will not sway them. I imagine they yearn for immortality.

N'est pas

“too hard to handle”

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#235316 Aug 25, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Isaiah 9: 7
For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counseller, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.
Jesus Christ the son of God was and is the great I Am, the King of Kings, Lord of Lords and God of all Gods, the mighty God. God manifested in the flesh.
Amen
CunningLinguist

Orlando, FL

#235317 Aug 25, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, lets see if you can follow.
1. Mankind was made in the image of God.
2. Christians are even called the children of God
3. Jesus accepted being called the only begotten Son of God.
Like Father like Son.
"When you've seen me, you've seen the Father."
Smile.
1. Not mankind... Remember Adam's rib?
"go forth and multiply" w/Eve

2. If thou art not Catholic thou art not a true Christian. The holy Catholic Church created Christianity and wrote the Bible. They refused to except the Old Testament handed down to the choose.

3. Jesus/God was also fond mooning.
And I will take away mine hand, and thou shalt see my back parts: but my face shall not be seen.--Exodus 33:23
Is this the world's first official full moon?

Disclaimer: All spelling errors made by Siri are forgiven, go to paradise and receive 72 dictionaries.

Grins

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why do white men hate white women who want blac... (May '11) 4 min Johnny 3,596
American Soldiers - Duty, Honor, Country (Jun '11) 4 min An NFL Fan 37,987
Play "end of the word" part 2 5 min andet1987 1,427
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 15 min Praise Jesus 637,214
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 24 min RiccardoFire 44,102
Should Black People Forgive White People for Sl... (Jun '07) 28 min Joe Fortuna 4,738
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 1 hr NoStress4me 28,334
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 2 hr VIKING 968,670
More from around the web