Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258478 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Eagle 12

League City, TX

#234144 Aug 2, 2014
CunningLinguist wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sorry, but the greater level of ones education the less religiosity there is.
Neil points this out in the video and he doesn't insult or slam Christians.
Let's discuss the growth of religion in Europe...
http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2011...
Excerpt:
Religion may be on the decline in Europe, but it is flourishing among some communities and in many other parts of the world. Religion can be a source of tranquil hearts and inspiration for fight against tyranny, inequality and injustice. For argument's sake, even if there is no God, human beings need one to behave responsibly on Earth.
A few words spoken long ago...
IS THE OLD TESTAMENT INSPIRED?
If it is, it should be a book that no man -- no number of men -- could produce.
It should contain the perfection of philosophy.
It should perfectly accord with every fact in nature.
There should be no mistakes in astronomy, geology, or as to any subject or science.
Its morality should be the highest, the purest.
Its laws and regulations for the control of conduct should be just, wise, perfect, and perfectly adapted to the accomplishment of the ends desired.
It should contain nothing calculated to make man cruel, revengeful, vindictive or infamous.
It should be filled with intelligence, justice, purity, honesty, mercy and the spirit of liberty.
It should be opposed to strife and war, to slavery and lust, to ignorance, credulity and superstition.
It should develop the brain and civilize the heart.
It should satisfy the heart and brain of the best and wisest.
It should be true.
Does the Old Testament satisfy this standard?
Is there anything in the Old Testament -- in history, in theory, in law, in government, in morality, in science -- above and beyond the ideas, the beliefs, the customs and prejudices of its authors and the people among whom they lived?
-Robert G. Ingersoll
The short answer: No
Not just no... but HELL NO!
“I'm sorry, but the greater level of ones education the less religiosity there is.”

That may have been in your particular case and the case of a few others but certainly no where near the majority. Atheism is on the rise however but it’s still just a fraction of the total population here in the United States.

Mankind is the most intelligent creature on the earth. And man the only creature that seeks a higher power. It’s been that way from the very beginning and it will be that way as long as mankind exist.

Tell me, do Atheist grieve at the sudden and tragic loss of a loved one?

If there’s no God or afterlife then a human life is then like the grass. When it’s cut down it just withers away into nothing. Then there’s no cause to grieve.

Europe, we can discuss that later because I have some strong opinions on the Godless Europeans.
Eagle 12

League City, TX

#234146 Aug 2, 2014
CunningLinguist wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sorry, but the greater level of ones education the less religiosity there is.
Neil points this out in the video and he doesn't insult or slam Christians.
Let's discuss the growth of religion in Europe...
http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2011...
Excerpt:
Religion may be on the decline in Europe, but it is flourishing among some communities and in many other parts of the world. Religion can be a source of tranquil hearts and inspiration for fight against tyranny, inequality and injustice. For argument's sake, even if there is no God, human beings need one to behave responsibly on Earth.
A few words spoken long ago...
IS THE OLD TESTAMENT INSPIRED?
If it is, it should be a book that no man -- no number of men -- could produce.
It should contain the perfection of philosophy.
It should perfectly accord with every fact in nature.
There should be no mistakes in astronomy, geology, or as to any subject or science.
Its morality should be the highest, the purest.
Its laws and regulations for the control of conduct should be just, wise, perfect, and perfectly adapted to the accomplishment of the ends desired.
It should contain nothing calculated to make man cruel, revengeful, vindictive or infamous.
It should be filled with intelligence, justice, purity, honesty, mercy and the spirit of liberty.
It should be opposed to strife and war, to slavery and lust, to ignorance, credulity and superstition.
It should develop the brain and civilize the heart.
It should satisfy the heart and brain of the best and wisest.
It should be true.
Does the Old Testament satisfy this standard?
Is there anything in the Old Testament -- in history, in theory, in law, in government, in morality, in science -- above and beyond the ideas, the beliefs, the customs and prejudices of its authors and the people among whom they lived?
-Robert G. Ingersoll
The short answer: No
Not just no... but HELL NO!
You have never read the Old or New Testament in its entirety.

How can you judge a book you never bothered to read?

You just borrow others criticism that also have never read the entire bible contents.

In fact all of your arguments are borrowed. You bring absolutely nothing original or challenging.

You owe to yourself to read the bible and divorce yourself from the borrowed thoughts and come up with something you generated.
CunningLinguist

Spring Hill, FL

#234147 Aug 2, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
“I'm sorry, but the greater level of ones education the less religiosity there is.”
That may have been in your particular case and the case of a few others but certainly no where near the majority. Atheism is on the rise however but it’s still just a fraction of the total population here in the United States.
Mankind is the most intelligent creature on the earth. And man the only creature that seeks a higher power. It’s been that way from the very beginning and it will be that way as long as mankind exist.
Tell me, do Atheist grieve at the sudden and tragic loss of a loved one?
If there’s no God or afterlife then a human life is then like the grass. When it’s cut down it just withers away into nothing. Then there’s no cause to grieve.
Europe, we can discuss that later because I have some strong opinions on the Godless Europeans.
Frankly it is hard to fathom that someone (you) can live in the age of information and be so out of touch with it. Blind faith only.

Curiosity killed the cat and if you're curious about the origin of religion, take the time to research it , it will question your faith.

I seriously doubt you've ever read your Bible cover to cover.

You should try it sometime!
CunningLinguist

Spring Hill, FL

#234148 Aug 2, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
The world has plenty of Random Access Babblers (RAB) and court jesters.
I mean if your going to pick a hero for lands sakes pick someone that has done something positive for mankind.
Take your average sanitation worker. They’re making a far significant contribution to mankind than Mr. Tyson. If it wasn’t for your average sanitation workers you would die.
Mr. Tyson’s astrophysicist contribution is just like Stephen Hawkins, it's all for naught.
What's all for naught is religion.

"It ain't the parts of the Bible that I can't understand that bother me, it is the parts that I do understand." ~Mark Twain

“A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep.”~Saul Bellow

"No man ever believes that the Bible means what it says; he is always convinced that it says what he means." ~George Bernard Shaw

I must go for now... I have a gripping game of angry birds.
CunningLinguist

Spring Hill, FL

#234149 Aug 2, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
You have never read the Old or New Testament in its entirety.
How can you judge a book you never bothered to read?
You just borrow others criticism that also have never read the entire bible contents.
In fact all of your arguments are borrowed. You bring absolutely nothing original or challenging.
You owe to yourself to read the bible and divorce yourself from the borrowed thoughts and come up with something you generated.
I forgot more about the Bible than you'll ever remember. And by the content of your post is obvious you've never read the Bible, make that any Bible, even Gideon's.

Let's stick with the Old Testament the original Jewish Bible modified liberally by the Catholics - whichemerged as the New Testament.

The Roman Catholic Church claims exclusive authorship of the Bible by the way!

Pick any verse and I will contradict it with one. Scripture is a steaming pile of BS.

It's your book Eagle defend it.

Dazzle me with your profound biblical knowledge.

Pick any of chapter and I'll assassinate it.

Your book is primitive written by primitive people, get over it.
Eagle 12

League City, TX

#234150 Aug 2, 2014
CunningLinguist wrote:
<quoted text>
I forgot more about the Bible than you'll ever remember. And by the content of your post is obvious you've never read the Bible, make that any Bible, even Gideon's.
Let's stick with the Old Testament the original Jewish Bible modified liberally by the Catholics - whichemerged as the New Testament.
The Roman Catholic Church claims exclusive authorship of the Bible by the way!
Pick any verse and I will contradict it with one. Scripture is a steaming pile of BS.
It's your book Eagle defend it.
Dazzle me with your profound biblical knowledge.
Pick any of chapter and I'll assassinate it.
Your book is primitive written by primitive people, get over it.
Nothing original, it’s all recycled arguments from atheist web sites.

By the way if you have read any atheist reads it’s common for atheist to claim they have read the entire bible. It’s a character flaw we see repeated over and over.

Most atheist couldn’t even compete with the average six year old in a game of bible baseball. The fact is Atheist don’t know anything about the bible other than the tiny bits and pieces they get from atheist web sites.

What I’m looking for is some originality. Someone who can think on their own and draw conclusions from their own knowledge.

I’ve asked you questions like I do all the atheist here on topix and guess what? You don’t answer any questions because you can’t. You don’t have the knowledge base to draw from.

You fly over the question and dump a hell of a lot of post from the atheist sites. Explore your own mind my friend. Be your own person and learn what you believe. And we can talk about that what you really believe. I've been to the atheist web sites. I know what's there and it's easy to spot and atheist drone.
ChristINSANITY is EVIL

Wheatley, Canada

#234152 Aug 2, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
“Tell me, do Atheist grieve at the sudden and tragic loss of a loved one?
.
No,we laugh and have a celebration party!

Really why are you kristains such dimwitts?
ChristINSANITY is EVIL

Wheatley, Canada

#234153 Aug 2, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Nothing original, it’s all recycled arguments from atheist web sites.
By the way if you have read any atheist reads it’s common for atheist to claim they have read the entire bible. It’s a character flaw we see repeated over and over.
Most atheist couldn’t even compete with the average six year old in a game of bible baseball. The fact is Atheist don’t know anything about the bible other than the tiny bits and pieces they get from atheist web sites.
What I’m looking for is some originality. Someone who can think on their own and draw conclusions from their own knowledge.
I’ve asked you questions like I do all the atheist here on topix and guess what? You don’t answer any questions because you can’t. You don’t have the knowledge base to draw from.
You fly over the question and dump a hell of a lot of post from the atheist sites. Explore your own mind my friend. Be your own person and learn what you believe. And we can talk about that what you really believe. I've been to the atheist web sites. I know what's there and it's easy to spot and atheist drone.
We know enough about your religion to turns us OFF it,

too bad you are too weak to shake its mental bondage

www.evilbible.com
ChristINSANITY is EVIL

Wheatley, Canada

#234154 Aug 2, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>

And Atheist intelligence runs the entire span from those that are dumb as rocks to the very brilliant educated Atheist. We even see this span right here on this topix channel. One of the indicators I look for when I judge intelligence. Is the need for one to self inflate his/her ego by constantly trotting down others.
The less intelligent Atheist do this all the time by calling their opponent and “idiot” for example.

What they mean is they’re not competent or intelligent enough to engage in meaningful conversation so they revert to throwing rocks. And throwing rocks is a Neanderthal response.
Have you or other theists here ever insulted atheists ?

So what does that make you...

“ad victoriam”

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#234155 Aug 2, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
The world has plenty of Random Access Babblers (RAB) and court jesters.
I mean if your going to pick a hero for lands sakes pick someone that has done something positive for mankind.
Take your average sanitation worker. They’re making a far significant contribution to mankind than Mr. Tyson. If it wasn’t for your average sanitation workers you would die.
Mr. Tyson’s astrophysicist contribution is just like Stephen Hawkins, it's all for naught.
Well brains aren't everything, and thanks to you sanitation workers.... We will not have to shovel out the back house anymore.

“LOL Really?”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#234156 Aug 2, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
A couple of weeks ago I was driving to the store in my little town in Southern Illinois. When a Ford Model “T” drove right passed me. That car looked as good today as it did a hundred years ago when it came off the assembly line. There was a bit of excitement seeing this car on the road.
Do you mind if I parse your post?

...

Good, cuz it's what I do.
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
A couple of weeks ago I was driving to the store in my little town in Southern Illinois.
What kind of gas mileage does your little town get?
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
When a Ford Model “T” drove right passed me.
Past. In that case it would be an adverb. You could also use by in it's place.

At least you spelled T right.

Have I shown you the Unnecessary Quotation Marks website?
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
That car looked as good today as it did a hundred years ago when it came off the assembly line.
How could you know that?
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
There was a bit of excitement seeing this car on the road.
I'll bet there would have been more excitement seeing it in the air.




Shall we continue?

I'm kinda bored.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#234157 Aug 3, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
The world has plenty of Random Access Babblers (RAB) and court jesters.
I mean if your going to pick a hero for lands sakes pick someone that has done something positive for mankind.
Take your average sanitation worker. They’re making a far significant contribution to mankind than Mr. Tyson. If it wasn’t for your average sanitation workers you would die.
Mr. Tyson’s astrophysicist contribution is just like Stephen Hawkins, it's all for naught.
Why don't you just type "Science bad!" - it'll save wear and tear on your keyboard...

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#234158 Aug 3, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> He advanced computer technology , but he is a entertainer of new ideas and try's to get you to use your brain. Assuming you have one.
So does MIKE Tyson.

I wonder if Neil would like your idea here:

Aura Mytha wrote:

"Nothing can count that high, but it doesn't mean it hasn't been done."

“ad victoriam”

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#234159 Aug 3, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
So does MIKE Tyson.
I wonder if Neil would like your idea here:
Aura Mytha wrote:
"Nothing can count that high, but it doesn't mean it hasn't been done."
You love to put things out of context, but idiots like you are a dime a dozen.
Fortunately I can show you what he would think of that.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/video/infini...

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#234160 Aug 3, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
You love to put things out of context, but idiots like you are a dime a dozen.
Fortunately I can show you what he would think of that.
http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/video/infini...
No, you can't, because you invented it.

“ad victoriam”

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#234161 Aug 3, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
No, you can't, because you invented it.
I invented what , Buck the clown?

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#234162 Aug 3, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
I invented what , Buck the clown?
You invented a new logical principle:

"It cannot be done, but may have been done".

“ad victoriam”

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#234163 Aug 3, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
You invented a new logical principle:
"It cannot be done, but may have been done".
No what I stated is that....
We may not ever be able to count high enough to count what has been completed.

Pay attention goofus.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#234164 Aug 3, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> No what I stated is that....
We may not ever be able to count high enough to count what has been completed.
Pay attention goofus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =yD1qAEeyetsXX
No, that is not what you stated.

Here is your direct quote, before you changed it:

Aura Mytha wrote:

"Nothing can count that high, but it doesn't mean it hasn't been done."

“ad victoriam”

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#234165 Aug 3, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
No, that is not what you stated.
Here is your direct quote, before you changed it:
Aura Mytha wrote:
"Nothing can count that high, but it doesn't mean it hasn't been done."
I suppose you think my lack of ability to express myself with clarity, in every post to you, is some sort of technological singularity that you can hone in on?

Are you wearing your donut halo again?
Just go ahead and give us the sum of all time and the final dimensions of the universe.
Are you towing backwards again, counting how far is far? Is there no farther, no I know you don't have a farther.
.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 1 min Aura Mytha 16,704
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 2 min Michael 683,847
Venting Against FAKE Americans 26 min mama pat 4
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 54 min trifecta1 983,125
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 1 hr Born Again Past JW 619,698
Looking for girls to snapchat 1 hr butterfly10161964 2
Chinese are dishonest, greedy and cold-blooded. (Jan '14) 4 hr Urka Burka Figurka 41
More from around the web