Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258484 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Buck Crick

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#233021 Jul 19, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
That's my view of what a god is: A theoretical concept, with no application to the physical world.
And to me, the physical world is all there is.
THAT, you can call a belief.
"the physical world is all there is"

Yes, that is a belief.

Before shipbuilding, a spot of land and an ocean was "all there is".

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#233022 Jul 19, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
It's just that they claimed to - and then they added that little bit on top! Bad them :(
No, they did not. They accepted that evolution has occurred. They never accepted the framework of Darwinism, and they never said they did.

In fact, they said they did not.

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#233023 Jul 19, 2014
CunningLinguist wrote:
<quoted text>
I usually don't reply to individuals that I have summarily dismissed due to complete lack of interest.
I will bend my rule this time...
Nigerian atheist 'ruled mentally ill'!
Film at 11
Apparently he has no desire to rape 13 year old girls, dress his wife in burqas or blow himself up.
I have decided to produce and sell a strong alcoholic drink called "Responsibly"
That way everyone in the country can get shit faced drinking responsibly.
And all the other drinks makers will be advertising for me on their cans with the slogan "please drink responsibly"
With any luck at all it will piss off the government as well.
Thanks for the response, though it was completely unresponsive.

“ad victoriam”

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#233024 Jul 19, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
You are too stupid to realize that not being able to tell you a distance or travel time DOES NOT mean that it is infinite.
If the distance is infinite, each part of it would be infinite.
Then it would be an infinite distance to go across the street.
Fact: The speed of the receding event horizon is a finite distance per unit of time.
Question: Adding finite distances at a finite rate becomes infinite when?
Answer: It doesn't. Because it cannot.
Repeating for your dull wits:
ADDING FINITE DISTANCES CANNOT BECOME INFINITE DISTANCE
CALLING AN INDETERMINATE DISTANCE 'INFINITE' DOES NOT MAKE IT INFINITE
YOU ARE A MORON
No you're the moron, I've made it very clear the distance to cross the cosmological event horizon is infinite. But you can never cross it, exactly for the reason you are saying.
But never the less, the horizon physically exists, and you cannot cross it.

Because to do so you will have to travel infinite distance.

Since: Sep 08

United States

#233025 Jul 19, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah do you ever post anything, that is not some sort of bs projection of your highly overrated Dunning Kruger abilities?
My Dunning Kruger failings were in believing everyone else was capable of my mental skills. Took almost a lifetime to realize they weren't. I am entertaining myself with you. Cheap, but all I can afford at this time.

It is obvious your failings in such effect is of the other sort. As in projecting you understand esoteric bullshit.

“ad victoriam”

arte et marte

#233026 Jul 19, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Tell me the time it would take you crawling on your hands and knees to pass a Porche 911 Twin Turbo with an unlimited fuel supply.
I just proved to you a Porshe has traveled an infinite distance. I wonder if the driver is tired?
Your logic is so useful.
Ok there is no infinite fuel supply, secondly this is a scenario that can be done.
Since all the parts of this scenario exist together and are causally connected.
There are several ways this could be done. One involves disabling the Porsche, another involves
crawling in the back if a faster car.

“ad victoriam”

arte et marte

#233027 Jul 19, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
My Dunning Kruger failings were in believing everyone else was capable of my mental skills. Took almost a lifetime to realize they weren't. I am entertaining myself with you. Cheap, but all I can afford at this time.
It is obvious your failings in such effect is of the other sort. As in projecting you understand esoteric bullshit.
Esoteric? You idiot, I'm talking about astrophysics and cosmology, these are far from esoteric. They are the bastion of human knowledge. They are not beliefs, rather they are the knowledge of the universe and the physical reality. But then again I guess you would think school is where you learn some religious rites or hidden knowledge.

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#233028 Jul 19, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
No you're the moron, I've made it very clear the distance to cross the cosmological event horizon is infinite. But you can never cross it, exactly for the reason you are saying.
But never the less, the horizon physically exists, and you cannot cross it.
Because to do so you will have to travel infinite distance.
What was the distance to the event horizon immediately before the distance expanded to infinite distance?

If the event horizon physically exists, what is the largest finite measurement of its distance?

The extended distance =(rate of expansion) X (elapsed time).

Therefore, tell us two numbers that when multiplied gives the product "infinity".

If the expansion is accelerating, then the distance =(average rate of expansion) X (elapsed time).

Again, tell us what two numbers when multiplied gives the product "infinity".

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#233029 Jul 19, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok there is no infinite fuel supply, secondly this is a scenario that can be done.
Since all the parts of this scenario exist together and are causally connected.
There are several ways this could be done. One involves disabling the Porsche, another involves
crawling in the back if a faster car.
Horse shit. You are evading the point.

The point is that just because an entitity is receding faster than you can catch up to, it in now way means an infinite distance is traveled, or ever will be.

“ad victoriam”

arte et marte

#233030 Jul 19, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
What was the distance to the event horizon immediately before the distance expanded to infinite distance?
If the event horizon physically exists, what is the largest finite measurement of its distance?
The extended distance =(rate of expansion) X (elapsed time).
Therefore, tell us two numbers that when multiplied gives the product "infinity".
If the expansion is accelerating, then the distance =(average rate of expansion) X (elapsed time).
Again, tell us what two numbers when multiplied gives the product "infinity".
There is no quantifiable estimate, because every position in the universe appears to the origin point. You can travel to the distance it (the cosmological event horizon) appears from here,
only to see the same thing you see here, because it is a co-moving distance , it appears on the horizon 14.3Gpc away from every position in the universe.

Some say...well it maybe 250 times what we see, while others think.
what we can see is like the milky way amongst all the other galaxies.

“ad victoriam”

arte et marte

#233031 Jul 19, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Horse shit. You are evading the point.
The point is that just because an entitity is receding faster than you can catch up to, it in now way means an infinite distance is traveled, or ever will be.
It's infinite until it stops, for the simple reason it cannot be traversed by infinite travel or measured by calculating. You would have to calculate for infinite time and never have the dimensions.
CunningLinguist

Windermere, FL

#233033 Jul 19, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for the response, though it was completely unresponsive.
Frankly. it's all you deserve.

Please reply to others... you bore me to the extreme.

United States

#233034 Jul 19, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Esoteric? You idiot, I'm talking about astrophysics and cosmology, these are far from esoteric. They are the bastion of human knowledge. They are not beliefs, rather they are the knowledge of the universe and the physical reality. But then again I guess you would think school is where you learn some religious rites or hidden knowledge.
Let me tell you a story that enlightened old Dave to some realities in life.

In my early twenties I was a hot shot engineering grade technician on some very hairy electromechanical switching equipment. This wasn't simple binary digital logic, this was analog with multiple inputs of varying voltages to a connection with the associated components calibrated mechanically and electrically to fall within a tolerance range, and these connections were just links in a longer train. It was similar to an organic neural network. I was good. These skills enabled me to fix and tune a variety of electrical devices, including TVs and radios. Didn't always understand what I was doing on the electronic wave side, but knew how to make and condition connections to get it to work, especially if I had a schematic. I was an ace schematic reader.

I had a Datsun in Turkey that developed an alternator problem. For the life of me I could not locate the problem and fix it. Fairly simple circuitry, but I just couldn't find the problem. So I swallowed my pride and went looking for a repair shop. Understand they didn't have places like they do here, plus a Datsun was an extremely rare car to be in that country at the time. So I wind up at this little dirt floor shop with the local mechanics squatting in the dirt. And they didn't speak English. But I managed to get the guy to understand the general problem. He had his son take off the skid pan underneath and scrape the dirt and clean it up as he took it off, looked at it, scratched his head, and went walking down the street to another shop. After a while he came back with it, wiped some grime off it, and reinstalled it. It worked perfectly for the next 5 years I had the car. It cost me $7. In the States a dealer would have had me buy a new one. There were none to buy in Turkey.

I felt very humbled by third worlders squatting in the dirt with no formal education or training with obviously a better understanding than I had of the situation. They had to use their brains instead of their "knowledge".

It ain't what you know, but how you know it.

A few years ago when I was still living in NM I had a neighbor that was a certified GM and Ford mechanic. A very bright young man with a $4000 tool box and diagnostic equipment, and had even run the service departments at a couple of new car dealers. He was a very good craftsman. He bought a used IROC that had an issue or two after the previous owners had rebuilt the engine. He was going to fix it and sell it. After a couple of months driving it I saw him in his driveway with the hood up and piddling with it. I walked over and found he never fixed the problems, which was the cruise control didn't work and it idled all wrong which also caused an overheating problem I believe. He couldn't figure it out. I had never even looked under the hood of one before, but figured I would take a gander after he described the issues. I've worked on a few cars in my time. I traced the vacuum line back from the cruise control to the vacuum port on the intake manifold, which was more than just a fitting and had 2 or 3 fittings. The arrangement didn't look quite right. Switched a couple of vacuum lines by intuition and it idled right and the cruise control worked. They hooked the hoses up wrong after rebuilding the engine. I winked and smiled and went back home thinking of that Turk squatting in the dirt years ago. He sold the car shortly after that day.

It ain't what you know, but how you know it.

:-)

Get off your esoteric high horse.

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#233035 Jul 19, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
It's infinite until it stops, for the simple reason it cannot be traversed by infinite travel or measured by calculating. You would have to calculate for infinite time and never have the dimensions.
Then for the physical distance to reach infinite distance, it would have to expand for an infinite time.

Expansion occurs over finite time. So the distance cannot be infinite.

The distance is the average rate of expansion X 13.8 billion years.

Both are finite.

How can they be multiplied to reach an ifinite product?

Again, tell us two numbers that when multiplied yield a product that is infinite.

I'm waiting.

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#233036 Jul 19, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>

It's infinite until it stops,
So if it stops, the infinite becomes finite???

Do you realize how stupid that is?

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#233037 Jul 19, 2014
CunningLinguist wrote:
<quoted text>
Frankly. it's all you deserve.
Please reply to others... you bore me to the extreme.
Sure. You're so bored you had to read my reply and type a response.

And don't call me Frankly.

You are a moron. How do you like that?

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#233038 Jul 19, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>

You would have to calculate for infinite time and never have the dimensions.
I didn't ask for the dimensions.

I asked for the largest finite dimension.

If it is a physical phenomenon, it has physical dimension.

What is the largest finite?

In other words, what was the finite expansion immediately before infinite?

And don't forget - I'm still waiting for the two numbers you multiply to yield an infinite sum, as in:

"A" (average rate of expansion) X "B"(elapsed time)= infinite distance

You don't even have to be accurate on "A" and "B".

I'll take any number.

Go.

“The Sky Is Falling!”

Since: Apr 07

Seattle, WA

#233039 Jul 19, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Back in my day, when men were men and women were women you had to figure things out from scratch. Pencil and paper and brain power. Nowadays you young whippersnappers access preset blocks of instructions and think you "know" something. "Experts" by programming. Makes a grown man want to puke.
Well then, puke on! You do it well...

Your pomposity reminds me of this quote:

"The arrogance of age must submit to be taught by youth." - Edmund Burke

United States

#233040 Jul 19, 2014
eyeful wrote:
<quoted text>
Well then, puke on! You do it well...
Your pomposity reminds me of this quote:
"The arrogance of age must submit to be taught by youth." - Edmund Burke
Of course it would remind you of something you read.

That is all you have to work with.

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#233041 Jul 19, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course it would remind you of something you read.
That is all you have to work with.
I'll ask you, Dave, since Aunt Martha can't answer.

What values for A (average rate of expansion) X B (elapsed time)= Infinite distance?

He says that infinite distance is a physical phenomenon.

Just want to know how it got there. Always curious.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 2 min WasteWater 27,247
Do you believe that Jesus created the earth and... 5 min Jake999 4
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 15 min Gabriel 985,979
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 23 min Jake999 46,291
*** All Time Favorite Songs *** (Dec '10) 1 hr lastpost 4,298
Black women hate White men? (Feb '11) 1 hr Johnny 68
David Duke: "We're going to take our country ba... 1 hr Johnny 71
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 2 hr RCC Literally God... 686,022
More from around the web