Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258482 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Sep 08

United States

#232774 Jul 16, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Why because I pull away from your inner ape?:)
Stick to football, clown.
The metre (International spelling as used by the International Bureau of Weights and Measures), or meter (American spelling),(SI unit symbol: m), is the fundamental unit of length (SI dimension symbol: L) in the International System of Units (SI).[1]It is equivalent to 1.0936133 yards. Originally intended to be one ten-millionth of the distance from the Earth's equator to the North Pole (at sea level), its definition has been periodically refined to reflect growing knowledge of metrology. Since 1983, it has been defined as "the length of the path travelled by light in vacuum during a time interval of 1/299,792,458 of a second
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metre
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light-second
Your credibility as an intelligent being has been taking some severe negative hits from your postings on here.

“ad victoriam”

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#232775 Jul 16, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Your credibility as an intelligent being has been taking some severe negative hits from your postings on here.
Haha ha DAVEY BOY as if you hold any semblance of knowledge, other than pseudoscience. You have been shown repeatedly that string and magnet science is a spamming leap in hilariousness, but falls far far short in any attempt to explain anything real.
Tell us Davey of the telluric current you absorbed at coral castle giving you the cabal of arcane knowledge you found after ingesting the fungus of magnets.

“ad victoriam”

arte et marte

#232776 Jul 16, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
I bet CUT!
All bs aside and leave the mystery of the verse aside from this post, WB Dave and I hope you are doing ok. Just from one man to another...:)

Since: Sep 08

United States

#232777 Jul 16, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
All bs aside and leave the mystery of the verse aside from this post, WB Dave and I hope you are doing ok. Just from one man to another...:)
:-)

If my yard was bigger than your yard, would light cross it faster?

If light intensity drops with distance does the energy level of photons also drop?

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#232778 Jul 16, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
"The multiverse idea rests on assumptions that would be laughed out of town if they came from a religious text.”-Gregg Easterbrook
I'm willing to laugh it out of town anyways...
Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahhahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahhahahah ahahahahah...
There it goes.
That quote is a keeper.

Buck Crick

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#232779 Jul 16, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Why because I pull away from your inner ape?:)
Stick to football, clown.
The metre (International spelling as used by the International Bureau of Weights and Measures), or meter (American spelling),(SI unit symbol: m), is the fundamental unit of length (SI dimension symbol: L) in the International System of Units (SI).[1]It is equivalent to 1.0936133 yards. Originally intended to be one ten-millionth of the distance from the Earth's equator to the North Pole (at sea level), its definition has been periodically refined to reflect growing knowledge of metrology. Since 1983, it has been defined as "the length of the path travelled by light in vacuum during a time interval of 1/299,792,458 of a second
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metre
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light-second
You changed from a definition of "space" to one of "length".

Space and length are not the same thing. You claimed space is a "measure" of the distance light travels. "Length" is a measure of distance, no matter what scale is used, and has nothing inherent to do with space or the speed of light.

(Why do I stoop to explaining this?)

“ad victoriam”

arte et marte

#232780 Jul 16, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
If light intensity drops with distance does the energy level of photons also drop?
Light's speed itself has nothing to do with the medium it crosses. The difference is not unlike
light crossing a bathtub full of water vs , light crossing a bathtub full of water dumped out on the floor spreading out.

“ad victoriam”

arte et marte

#232781 Jul 16, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Space and length are not the same thing. You claimed space is a "measure" of the distance light travels. "Length" is a measure of distance, no matter what scale is used, and has nothing inherent to do with space or the speed of light.
You explained nothing, but you do a little a little wiggly dance of denial. You just have to stick to football. You know about that.
When we talk about light speed, dimension is reduced to length or distance on a curve that intersects at some point in the future. At c the distance and time is zero, slower the time is in the future. and space is between.

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#232782 Jul 16, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> You explained nothing, but you do a little a little wiggly dance of denial. You just have to stick to football. You know about that.
When we talk about light speed, dimension is reduced to length or distance on a curve that intersects at some point in the future. At c the distance and time is zero, slower the time is in the future. and space is between.
Oh. It's at "c".

I skipped right over "c" and was standing at "z".

Your posts are gibberish.

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#232783 Jul 16, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> You explained nothing, but you do a little a little wiggly dance of denial. You just have to stick to football. You know about that.
You are obviously pasting together snippets from various internet blogs and have no Idea what you are saying, which is fortunate, since you aren't saying anything.

“ad victoriam”

arte et marte

#232784 Jul 16, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
You are obviously pasting together snippets from various internet blogs and have no Idea what you are saying, which is fortunate, since you aren't saying anything.

You really have no idea about the physics.of space/time, that's why I may as well be arguing with your football. Since you and the football have the same knowledge of cosmology.

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#232785 Jul 16, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
You really have no idea about the physics.of space/time, that's why I may as well be arguing with your football. Since you and the football have the same knowledge of cosmology.
Right. And you will explain why the football is infinite.

Catcher1

Since: Sep 10

Manhattan Beach, CA

#232787 Jul 16, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Right. And you will explain why the football is infinite.
No, Buck.

I think what you're trying to say is that your football career is infamous.

(My soccer career, on the other hand, is legendary.)

Since: Apr 14

San German, Puerto Rico

#232788 Jul 16, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
To answer your question: Because one keeps hoping...
Remember Buck, "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing." Alexander Pope.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#232789 Jul 16, 2014
Patrick wrote:
<quoted text>Not certain as to "you folks" ?
In this case, "You folks", refers to people who think that if their religion is not taught as science in the public school classrooms, their prayers are not recited at government functions, or that laws are not based on their religious beliefs, that the Atheists are pushing their non-believe on them.

In simple terms, no one has taken your god out of public schools, that is a silly claim made by the church leaders to get idiots fired up.
Patrick wrote:
<quoted text>Interested in American history and Constitutional government. Atheist friends are quite open about their views, take part in politics and seem happy.
I didn't say that Atheists are not happy. Atheists are no longer willing to be treated like second class citizens, or allowing christians mythology to be forced on their children.

I did say that coming out as an Atheist is rather difficult; once it is out there, then you have to start putting up with, "YOU"RE GOING TO HELL!", "WHY DO YOU HATE GOD?" and "JESUS DIED FOR YOU!"
Patrick wrote:
<quoted text>Quoting Jesus is difficult as per translation issues. "Misquoting Jesus: The Story Behind Who Changed the Bible and Why" by Bart D. Ehrman is interesting whether one agrees or not.
Peace
Yes, yet another translation! Just what we needed!

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#232790 Jul 16, 2014
Lab28 wrote:
<quoted text>Don't have one where God or Jesus says "I want to have a relationship with you."
I know! Everyone adds, removes or changes the words here and there so that their god is created in their image.
Lab28 wrote:
<quoted text> I just have God relentlessly pursuing the Israelites
Just think about that for a moment. A supreme being that is omnipresent chose to revel himself to one very small group of people. Does that not give you pause?
Lab28 wrote:
<quoted text> and Jesus committing the ultimate act of love for His disciples.
If he is not dead, he gave up nothing. You cannot sacrifice something that you cannot lose.
Lab28 wrote:
<quoted text> Oh and calling them His friends. You have Jesus saying "follow me" You have him rejecting people who cast out demons in His name saying "I never knew you". You have Him telling the thief "Today you will be with me in paradise."
Ever wonder about that? Jesus descended into Hell on Friday and then ascended into heaven on the third day, which was somehow not even two days later on Sunday.
Lab28 wrote:
<quoted text>There's also John 3:16, most famous of verses, which speaks of intent for Jesus' coming. Mind you, this is what I can snatch off the top of my head, this stuff is implied throughout. So, this becomes a conclusion that can be drawn by looking at the Word of God holistically: God can't be around sin, but He wants to be around you.
Good cherry picking! One can claim the bible implies anything they like!
Lab28 wrote:
<quoted text>I never said it wasn't. And I don't think there's anything wrong with that. In my opinion if you choose not to decide you still have made a choice, therefore atheism is a religion.
Then you do not understand the meaning of the word, "Religion".

re·li·gion

1. the belief in a god or in a group of gods

2. an organized system of beliefs, ceremonies, and rules used to worship a god or a group of gods

3. an interest, a belief, or an activity that is very important to a person or group

If you use definition 1 or 2 to describe your beliefs, then you must use 1 or 2 through your comparison. Like many modern fundies, you are using one definition that describes you and then you switch to another to describe me and then claim that since the same word was used, your statement is true and that is incorrect. You people do it with belief and faith as well.
number four

Since: May 12

Las Vegas, NV

#232791 Jul 16, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Why are you fascinated with gays?
Would be just as valid to say – saying godbots are lying idiots is like saying waaasssuuup
Gays ..Atheists..Muslims ..(read)..LIBERALS ...

You are winning ..

We're the f**king Salt of the Earth ..!!

You ' gays' are claiming, too much salt is , unhealthy ..
number four

Since: May 12

Las Vegas, NV

#232792 Jul 16, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
A ) no

B ) yes ( obviously , photons were absorbed/deflected )

“A sentient umbrella speaks”

Since: Mar 11

Some stable somewhere

#232793 Jul 16, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
The present proves the past is not infinite.
If the past were infinite, an infinite amount of time has been traversed to reach the present.
Not possible.
Nope.

So?

Nope.

“A sentient umbrella speaks”

Since: Mar 11

Some stable somewhere

#232794 Jul 16, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I see. If a physicist says something is both existent and nonexistent, you take his word.
Your choice.
I'm a bit more skeptical. I say something cannot be both "A" and "non-A".
I think I'm on solid ground with that.
Nah. You need to learn more quantum physics.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 14 min Trump is a joke 47,483
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 47 min Just Think 692,215
Boys spying on their sisters (Jun '11) 1 hr John 7
Add me on Skype for fun summerun1 1 hr Summerun1 1
Why are Europeans a race of savages, thieves, a... (Jun '15) 1 hr youareadufus 504
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 4 hr youareadufus 990,751
Here’s What Oil Drilling Looks Like in the Arct... 5 hr Guy from Latonia 1
More from around the web