Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#231857 Jul 6, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
I have the only one I want.
She is a fresh gift every day. A constant surprise. More than I can handle, and I still delight in handling her.
SMILE.
Ahhhhh, that's super nice! I'm very happy for you :)

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#231858 Jul 6, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
2. NOW you admit your were wrong?
3. Incorrect. Science understands ss sexual behavior in most primates. It does not yet know the cause in humans. Makes it impossible to deem it 'normal' scientifically, doesn't it?
6. There were no Indians attracted to the same sex? There were no Indians who thought they were one gender in the body of another? There were no Indians who were sexually attracted to both genders? Really.
Smirk.
2. I actually admitted it a while back. Read carefully though - some cultures fully accepted it and some didn't.

3. I honestly don't believe you understand primatology and evolutionary anthropology to make the claims you're making. If you did, you'd be making different claims.

Do you understand the difference between phylogenetic arguments and ontological arguments?

6. Whoa, you've suddenly changed the discussion from one of gender to one of sex. You're trying to Westernize our understanding of Native Americans - that's never going to work. Their gender system did not work like ours. Their very ideas of masculinity and femininity do not mirror ours.

Clearly, there was same sex sexual behavior. Clearly, same sexes married (in some cases). However, we're talking about gender, not sex. I'm going to use the word "two-spirit" here as a catch all for the various words Natives used. Once again:

Men could marry women and two-spirit males
Two-spirit females could marry women

Two-spirit people did not marry each other. I'm not sure why. I'm going to assume a cultural prohibition on same-gender marriage but not same sex marriage. The defining aspect of Native American sexuality is not their sex, but their gender system.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#231859 Jul 6, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Um, you may want to read up on mating behavior...
Here is an entertaining example of thousands available:
http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evolibrary/news...
Thanks! Very interesting.

It doesn't work that way in primates. As you probably know, primates cannot impersonate members of the opposite sex. Male primates have things like testicles and different scent than female primates - so the kinds of mating strategies that octopi can use differ from those primates use.

Here, for primates:

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/BF02...

Anything by Paul Vasey - he's the leading expert on "homosexuality" in primates.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#231860 Jul 6, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Making it up as you go along.
Great science.
You know nothing.

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/BF02...

Paul Vasey, Frans de Waal

Read.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#231861 Jul 6, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
But if you want to get to it, you might have to go through shit, and the aperture does not self lubricate for sex. Generally, it's an inferior method of perpetuating my DNA.
Darwin thought that was important. But of course, you make up your material scientism as you go along, so enjoy it.
Uh...just b/c you come from a culture and religion that focuses on sex for procreation doesn't mean that same sex sexual behavior in primates evolved for that reason.

Yet we both know the complexities of evolutionary theory are faaaaaaaar beyond your grasp.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#231862 Jul 6, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
And they both lost the argument to me - badly.
Their fundamental error is they cannot distinguish math theory from physical reality. I exposed that, refuted it, and then ridiculed it with devastating logical argument. Same as I did with you on ID.
Nope. They completely ridiculed you. The same as I did to you with ID. You were utterly unable to answer my challenges and had to resort to name calling. For example, you couldn't produce a theory of ID, yet claimed one existed. You failed - as do ID people - to distinguish between design and apparent design. You also couldn't, like the ID people, produce testable, disprovable hypothesis about ID.

It was pretty funny.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#231863 Jul 6, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
1. If you knew anything about biological science, you might know that "normal" is not a term that is useful.
2. If science deems homosexual sex normal, nothing can be said to be abnormal.
3. Science, rightly practiced, does not "deem".
Get an education.
I've forgotten more about biological science than you've ever known. I've destroyed every argument you've put forth about biology and ridiculed you for your ridiculous lie that you have a PhD in microbiology - conveniently, after I started grilling you, you stopped bring that up.

Same sex sexual behavior is a normal behavior in primates and humans. It's not a disease, it's not abnormal.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#231864 Jul 6, 2014
number four wrote:
<quoted text>I don't believe they are entitled to the tax breaks nor any other monetary benefit afforded to other married couples ..
Marriage is the building blocks of our society , they deserve any and all lagniappe given ..
( item ) If men and women ' stopped ' forming unions ...civilization would perish .
If homosexuals stopped forming unions ....?...so..?
So you believe in discriminating against people who don't produce children?

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#231865 Jul 6, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
3. Science, rightly practiced, does not "deem".
Scientific models are accepted because of the consensus of scientists. So, yes, "deem" is exactly the appropriate word.

Get an education and stop making stuff up.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#231866 Jul 6, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
In primates, same sex sexual behavior is done for these reasons:

1. food sharing. In bonobos, when two females find a food source, they engage in sexual behavior first.
2. alliance forming. In chimpanzees, when two males are getting ready to attack the dominant male, they engage in sexual behavior.
3. tension reduction. In bonobos, after a large fight that disturbs the troup, they basically engage in an orgy. Same sex, opposite sex, whatever.
4. partnership. Macaques engage in what are called "consortships." They are two week pairings involving copulation, usually between males and females, when the females are in estrous. However, sometimes the females prefer other females (still taking place in estrous)- and they engage in lots of sexual behavior via genital-genital rubbing.

So, as I wrote above, same sex sexual behavior in primates is thought to have evolved for social bonding and tension reduction.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#231867 Jul 6, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, hey...so...where's the homosexual behavior in the article you linked here.

Is it in the male octopus pretending to be female so he can have sex with the female? That doesn't seem homosexual to me.

Is it in the male octopus who's guarding the female, who is tricked by another male into thinking that male is a female, and so attempts sex?

That also doesn't sound homosexual to me.

So...where are the gays in what you're linking above? How are you justified in arguing that the above behavior has anything to do with same sex sexual behavior in primates?

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#231868 Jul 6, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Uh...just b/c you come from a culture and religion that focuses on sex for procreation doesn't mean that same sex sexual behavior in primates evolved for that reason.
Yet we both know the complexities of evolutionary theory are faaaaaaaar beyond your grasp.
That was my point - that homosexuality did not evolve for procreation, and since procreation is of fundamental evolutionary focus, even to being alleged as the ONLY Darwinian purpose for living, you and those you cite then have to make up rationalizations for why homosexuality evolved.

And when what you make up is challenged, you make up another story.

Your faux academic bull shit peddles well with the atheist simpletons on this page, but not so well with me.

"Just so, because it just must be".

Great science.

Location hidden

#231869 Jul 6, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope. They completely ridiculed you. The same as I did to you with ID. You were utterly unable to answer my challenges and had to resort to name calling. For example, you couldn't produce a theory of ID, yet claimed one existed. You failed - as do ID people - to distinguish between design and apparent design. You also couldn't, like the ID people, produce testable, disprovable hypothesis about ID.
It was pretty funny.
I produced the theory, as well as the testable hyposthesis - multiple times.

You are still a liar.

Location hidden

#231870 Jul 6, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
I've forgotten more about biological science than you've ever known. I've destroyed every argument you've put forth about biology and ridiculed you for your ridiculous lie that you have a PhD in microbiology - conveniently, after I started grilling you, you stopped bring that up.
Same sex sexual behavior is a normal behavior in primates and humans. It's not a disease, it's not abnormal.
Is rape a "normal" behavior in primates and humans?

Yep, you sure did great arguing with me.

You might not be aware I saved the posts where you had to back down on points of contention with me...

Like when you claimed ID supporters publish no peer-reviewed research; or when you claimed ID scientists do no laboratory research, or when I posted the scientific theory of ID as you claim I did not, etc.....

Would you like me to re-post them and expose you as lying now?

Location hidden

#231872 Jul 6, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, hey...so...where's the homosexual behavior in the article you linked here.
Is it in the male octopus pretending to be female so he can have sex with the female? That doesn't seem homosexual to me.
Is it in the male octopus who's guarding the female, who is tricked by another male into thinking that male is a female, and so attempts sex?
That also doesn't sound homosexual to me.
So...where are the gays in what you're linking above? How are you justified in arguing that the above behavior has anything to do with same sex sexual behavior in primates?
I think the female is called "octopussy".

Hope this is helpful.

Location hidden

#231873 Jul 6, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Scientific models are accepted because of the consensus of scientists. So, yes, "deem" is exactly the appropriate word.
Get an education and stop making stuff up.
I'm too busy educating you, Sweetie. Indeed, scientists might "deem" homosexuality to be normal behavior - and that's the problem. They abandon science when they do so, and start making value judgements.

Just as you abandon science with this entire line of argument you're twaddling on about.

Full Definition of DEEM

transitive verb
: to come to think or judge : consider <deemed it wise to go slow>
intransitive verb
: to have an opinion : believe

Synonyms
conceive, consider, believe, esteem, feel, figure, guess, hold, imagine, judge, reckon [chiefly dialect], suppose, think

World English Dictionary
deem (di&#720;m)

ó vb
( tr ) to judge or consider:

Word Origin & History

deem
O.E. deman, from base of dom (see doom). Originally "to pronounce judgment"

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#231874 Jul 6, 2014
How do you argue? What means do you use?
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Deflection.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#231875 Jul 6, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
OOOOHHHHH NOOOO!
Oh, yes!
Cheetah

Melita, Malta

#231876 Jul 6, 2014
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
I was talking about CIVILIZED countries.
You mean Christian countries.

Location hidden

#231877 Jul 6, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
How do you argue? What means do you use?
<quoted text>
By analyzing the opposing proposition and pointing out contradictions, fallacies, and falsehoods contained therein.

You find yourself on the receiving end of the aforementioned, even as we speak.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 5 min June VanDerMark 559,427
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 7 min Dave Nelson 775,113
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 12 min NEWS-FLASH 175,614
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 15 min Rick in Kansas 265,127
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 27 min WasteWater 39,343
The Global Elites Are Moving Things Underground 30 min WasteWater 12
Play "end of the word" (Jan '11) 33 min WasteWater 5,106
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 56 min Ugly Truth from d... 604,998
Why Iím no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 14 hr Barnsweb 441,764
More from around the web