Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 256649 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Thinking

Poole, UK

#231752 Jul 4, 2014
Puck Frick keeps quoting people from the olden days, whilst science is cracking on regardless.
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Infinity has zero influence on me.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#231755 Jul 4, 2014
Thinking wrote:
No. But religion is a defect that has held back humanity 1000+ years.
<quoted text>
You mean by having food banks in your community for atheists living on the street. Or helping pregnant woman keep their child instead of killing them?

The perversion of a 'rational atheist' oxymoron.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#231756 Jul 4, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong again. Space has been measured to be flat and therefore infinite
NASA “Recent measurements (c. 2001) by a number of ground-based and balloon-based experiments, including MAT/TOCO, Boomerang, Maxima, and DASI, have shown that the brightest spots are about 1 degree across. Thus the universe was known to be flat to within about 15% accuracy prior to the WMAP results. WMAP has confirmed this result with very high accuracy and precision. We now know (as of 2013) that the universe is flat with only a 0.4% margin of error. This suggests that the Universe is infinite in extent; however, since the Universe has a finite age, we can only observe a finite volume of the Universe. All we can truly conclude is that the Universe is much larger than the volume we can directly observe.”
Hilbert died over 70 years ago, things have moved on a bit since then
Poincare died over 100 years ago, things have moved on a bit since then
Gauss died over 150 years ago, things have moved on a bit since then
No matter when they died, the identification of the concept of infinity remains as it was then - which is an unrealizable phenomenon which serves as an idea for discussing limits and sets. That's all. It is imaginary.

The passage you cite is not using the true sense of the term "infinity". They would properly say that the extent of the universe is indeterminate, not infinite. They admit in the same passage that it is indeterminate, but by mis-using the term, suggest it is determined to be infinite, which is not true.

Your passage also admits a finite age of the universe, which proves it cannot be infinite in extent. A finite series of steps produces a sequence of finite results - PERIOD.

For a finite series of events to produce an infinite result is LOGICALLY IMPOSSIBLE. PERIOD.

I don't expect you to understand any of this.

Nothing in the universe is infinite. It is impossible.

Location hidden

#231758 Jul 4, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Was she trying to shoot you again?
;-)
Hi Buck !!!!
That's funny. Credit where due.

Location hidden

#231759 Jul 4, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
I am sure you would prefer me to take the word of a convict with a big mouth and a small brain?
Actually, for the most part understand, but I do tend to get a little out of my depth in the quantum foam, otherwise – You are wrong, as usual
You are out of your depth in any foam.

“When you treat people as they ”

treat you they get offended.

#231760 Jul 4, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
No matter when they died, the identification of the concept of infinity remains as it was then - which is an unrealizable phenomenon which serves as an idea for discussing limits and sets. That's all. It is imaginary.
The passage you cite is not using the true sense of the term "infinity". They would properly say that the extent of the universe is indeterminate, not infinite. They admit in the same passage that it is indeterminate, but by mis-using the term, suggest it is determined to be infinite, which is not true.
Your passage also admits a finite age of the universe, which proves it cannot be infinite in extent. A finite series of steps produces a sequence of finite results - PERIOD.
For a finite series of events to produce an infinite result is LOGICALLY IMPOSSIBLE. PERIOD.
I don't expect you to understand any of this.
Remained – outdated history – because you are unable to grasp modern understanding based on actual measurements and not philosophy is not my problem.

The passage I cite is using the word in the true scientific sense, just because you refuse to accept measured facts because they mean your god is tiny and limited to your mindset is not my problem

You have not read it properly, or understood it. The term used is “observe a finite volume”– note the word observe - not admit

True I do not understand idiocy.

Impossible or not, the finite measurable and observable universe is expanding into infinite universal space. Measurements show this to be so.
Thinking

Poole, UK

#231761 Jul 4, 2014
Look at all the things science has delivered... versus you've got an old sandwich to lever poor people with.
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
You mean by having food banks in your community for atheists living on the street. Or helping pregnant woman keep their child instead of killing them?
The perversion of a 'rational atheist' oxymoron.

“When you treat people as they ”

treat you they get offended.

#231762 Jul 4, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
You are out of your depth in any foam.
Why have you got to make up BS just to massage you ego?

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#231763 Jul 4, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Remained – outdated history – because you are unable to grasp modern understanding based on actual measurements and not philosophy is not my problem.
The passage I cite is using the word in the true scientific sense, just because you refuse to accept measured facts because they mean your god is tiny and limited to your mindset is not my problem
You have not read it properly, or understood it. The term used is “observe a finite volume”– note the word observe - not admit
Impossible or not, the finite measurable and observable universe is expanding into infinite universal space. Measurements show this to be so.
You know Buck's crazy, right?
Thinking

Poole, UK

#231764 Jul 4, 2014
Why?

Your god seems very finite, though.
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>

Location hidden

#231765 Jul 4, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Measurements show infinite space?

But "infinite" is not measurable, by definition.

I see. That's great stuff. Thanks for clearing that up.

1. "the finite measurable and observable universe is expanding into infinite universal space"

No, the universe is all there is. If there is space, it is part of the universe. Space is created by separation of particles - expansion. The universe cannot expand "into" anything.

2, An infinite universe would exist in every direction infinitely. It could not further expand. What is "Infinity + 1"? It cannot be both infinite and expanding. It could be infinite OR expanding, but CANNOT possibly be both. That is a contradiction in terms, and a contradiction of logic.

3. The number of particles in the universe is determined to be FINITE. Physicists have calculated the number to be in the range of 10^78 to 10^82. Here's your question:

HOW IS IT LOGICALLY POSSIBLE TO SPREAD A FINITE NUMBER OF PARTICLES OVER AN INFINITE DISTANCE?

It is not possible.

Game, set, and match.

Welcome to Buck School.

Location hidden

#231766 Jul 4, 2014
Thinking wrote:
Look at all the things science has delivered... versus you've got an old sandwich to lever poor people with.
<quoted text>
Science never delivered anything. Science is a field of study. It does not have hands to carry an item for delivery, nor feet to deliver it on.

People have delivered things, and sometimes they deliver it from what they learn from science.

Like the gas chambers at Auschwitz. Like Hitler using the science of Darwinism to deliver 7 million dead Jews and Christians. Like Mengele delivering grotesque experiments to human twins.

Thinking

Poole, UK

#231767 Jul 4, 2014
You often talk about those christians killing those jews.
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Like the gas chambers at Auschwitz. Like Hitler using the science of Darwinism to deliver 7 million dead Jews and Christians. Like Mengele delivering grotesque experiments to human twins.

Location hidden

#231768 Jul 4, 2014
Thinking wrote:
You often talk about those christians killing those jews.
<quoted text>
It was Darwinists killing Jews and Christians.

Have you been told you are a moron? Someone close to you should tell you.

Location hidden

#231769 Jul 4, 2014
WHY AN ACTUAL INFINITE QUANTITY IS ABSURD

Logic of the Infinite Tug of War:

Team 1 and Team 2 have infinite members, all equally strong, all tugging at opposite ends of the rope.

The rope doesn't move.

Now, remove all the odd numbered members from Team 1. Guess what? The rope doesn't move.

Now remove every member from Team 1 except for each one-millionth member.

The rope doesn't move.

Now chop off one arm and one leg from every remaining member of Team 1.

The rope doesn't move.

Now grease Team 1's end of the rope, give them all sedatives, feed them chemicals that cause nausea and vomiting.

The rope doesn't move.

“Wrath”

Since: Dec 10

Is revenant

#231770 Jul 4, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Science never delivered anything. Science is a field of study. It does not have hands to carry an item for delivery, nor feet to deliver it on.
People have delivered things, and sometimes they deliver it from what they learn from science.
That's why you went in the barn to beat a dead horse ?

Location hidden

#231771 Jul 4, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
That's why you went in the barn to beat a dead horse ?
I'm betting you have a very punchable face.

https://www.google.com/search...

“Wrath”

Since: Dec 10

Is revenant

#231772 Jul 4, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm betting you have a very punchable face.
https://www.google.com/search...
I bet you have a very mushy brain.
Thinking

Poole, UK

#231773 Jul 4, 2014
Rarely. Only by people far less intelligent than me.

Darwin was hardly a Darwinist because he said not to apply survival of the fittest to society.
Neither am I.
Religitards that oppose universal healthcare are Darwinists.
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
It was Darwinists killing Jews and Christians.
Have you been told you are a moron? Someone close to you should tell you.
Thinking

Poole, UK

#231774 Jul 4, 2014
Your basic premise is wrong because infinity minus infinity can't be said to be zero: it is an indeterminate form, like 0/0.

The initial set up is almost certainly not static, so the rest of your post is bollocks.

Think!
Buck Crick wrote:
WHY AN ACTUAL INFINITE QUANTITY IS ABSURD
Logic of the Infinite Tug of War:
Team 1 and Team 2 have infinite members, all equally strong, all tugging at opposite ends of the rope.
The rope doesn't move.
Now, remove all the odd numbered members from Team 1. Guess what? The rope doesn't move.
Now remove every member from Team 1 except for each one-millionth member.
The rope doesn't move.
Now chop off one arm and one leg from every remaining member of Team 1.
The rope doesn't move.
Now grease Team 1's end of the rope, give them all sedatives, feed them chemicals that cause nausea and vomiting.
The rope doesn't move.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Play "end of the word" part 2 (Dec '15) 3 min Doctor_Who 2,612
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 4 min here 65,134
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 5 min onemale 281,985
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 7 min truth 654,705
Colin Kaepernick: the troubled mind of an Oreo 11 min Doctor REALITY 4
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 14 min Toby 974,088
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 41 min Peace_Warrior 618,754
Queen Cleopatra was clearly Black. White people... (Aug '10) 1 hr T rules 863
More from around the web