Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258464 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“A sentient umbrella speaks”

Since: Mar 11

Some stable somewhere

#231534 Jun 30, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheism my friend has never stopped anyone from dying and it never will.
I kind of disagree with you there. The atheist perspective on the human body is that we are, in some sense, extremely complicated and beautiful machines.

Yes, organic. Yes, ridiculously complex - to degrees that no human could ever fully grasp, but that's what supercomputers are for.

Anyways, if you get the tinkering just right, you could create renewable youth - and that would basically be the same as living forever. Provided you continuously had access to the tech.

Even then, nothing lives forever. Even if we had that tech, we'd die in unpredictable disasters or murder or other situations.

Some stable somewhere

#231535 Jun 30, 2014
Lab28 wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, I would argue that morality is a product of my religion. That wasn't really my point, but yeah, sure, okay let's talk about morality.
On what authority do we even set values? We in the western world see injustice for what it truly is. For instance we look at the rights of women in some middle eastern countries and hopefully you look at that and say, that is not just. But in those countries, it is totally okay. To them that is what is morally right... Even when you know in your heart that it is not. It's a moral relativism that occurs when people adopt their ideas of right and wrong based on the culture around them.
So, what's the point? Yeah we've had morals forever, but what are they based on? Many cultures have established a system of morals that we know is abhorrent. But on what authority can we even establish that. Especially if we are the product of random.
[I actually posted this a few days ago. The last time you said morality predates my religion]
Nah. Religious systems organized early peoples. Morality is a function of being a social animal. It's pretty obvious that any overarching organizational system is going to include a moral code.

So, yeah, morality predates your religion. Sorry that I'm jumping into the fray late :) You're quite understanding and polite. Thank you.

Anyways, the argument that all morality comes from God (your deity) is a bit silly. It's like you are actually arguing that the Jews didn't know murder was bad until God told them. That's kind of ridiculous. All human groups know murder - killing a fellow group member - is wrong.
Dr Shrink

Baltimore, MD

#231536 Jun 30, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
All of us are heading toward an end, it's true.
you already are at end,
only jelly inside of your skull,is shaking slowly,and not controled farts are sign that you stinks before die,

during your session.raise one leg, and stick finger into you a,,,,,turn few times around,and breakfast is ready to go???
good night,
go figure before your dr Shrink enter again your mentaly retarded dead room?

“It's Time. . .”

Since: Jun 13

New Holland

#231537 Jun 30, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
The first mead I tried was miserable, left me with a headache, and turned me off mead until I discussed it with a good friend of mine who brews beer. He said that mead is like any drink, some are good and most are bad. Anyways, he left Japan and left me with his brewing stuff, so I just finished brewing a stout (from a kit, my first time) and decided to brew another stout, but this time stronger, and a mead. I used the yeast from my first go and, wow, were they happy to have new sugars!
I have three 8 liter glass carboys. Two I'm using for the stout, one for mead.
Rather than using wine or champagne yeast, I'm using the stout's ale yeast. The benefits are:
- a much, much faster brew time
- higher temperature tolerance
- much, much less production of the off-compounds that give you headaches. These include acetylaldehyde and dicetyls - you can read about that here: http://www.howtobrew.com/section4/chapter21-2...
- no sulfites (or dramatically reduced to almost nothing)
So I think, but am not quite sure, it won't give me migraines. I'm just like you, though, and get them from many alcohols. Now that I'm learning all this stuff about brewing, I think it's b/c of bad brewing/distilling practices. Especially with the cheaper alcohols - if you want to brew fast, you brew at higher temperatures, use cheaper ingredients produced using pesticides, etc, without lengthy maturation processes that clean up those off-products.
I'll let you know if it turns out headache free! And, if you're interested, I can give you info on the yeast and so on, and even how I did it.
Ahhh, homebrew.

Interesting how you're brewing beer and mead. People here are brewing sake.

“It's Time. . .”

New Holland

#231538 Jun 30, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Hello Rosa! How're you doing???
Gday! It's all good down here.
:-)

I've been studying pretty hard, tearing my hair out lately, should get a number 1. That's all to the good tho, as you would know.
Thinking

Poole, UK

#231539 Jul 1, 2014
Wrong again.

60 years ago, the UK was a more christian country.
Also crime was higher.
There were more teenage pregnancies.
Alan Turing was chemically castrated by homophobes in the name of your values and later committed suicide.

So I understand that morals Evolve.

I'd far rather try to live by better morals than my ancestors.

You want stagnant morals "legitimised" by the myth of a god that drowned every baby not on the ark.

That's why my morals are more worthy than yours.
Lab28 wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, I would argue that morality is a product of my religion. That wasn't really my point, but yeah, sure, okay let's talk about morality.
On what authority do we even set values? We in the western world see injustice for what it truly is. For instance we look at the rights of women in some middle eastern countries and hopefully you look at that and say, that is not just. But in those countries, it is totally okay. To them that is what is morally right... Even when you know in your heart that it is not. It's a moral relativism that occurs when people adopt their ideas of right and wrong based on the culture around them.
So, what's the point? Yeah we've had morals forever, but what are they based on? Many cultures have established a system of morals that we know is abhorrent. But on what authority can we even establish that. Especially if we are the product of random.
[I actually posted this a few days ago. The last time you said morality predates my religion]
Thinking

Poole, UK

#231540 Jul 1, 2014
Your bible calls non believers "fools" and "damned".
Lab28 wrote:
<quoted text>
Now, now, there is no need to resort to name calling.
Thinking

Poole, UK

#231541 Jul 1, 2014
L'esprit de l'escalier.
Lab28 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'd also like to point out that "religion setting us back 1,000 years" is an assertion that is based on a belief that without religion we would be better off. Which you might be able to point to some evidence for, but hardly can be proven. Ergo, faith.
Which then becomes evidence for the topic of this thread.
Thinking

Poole, UK

#231542 Jul 1, 2014
Also that there is a negative correlation between education and religiosity.
Lab28 wrote:
<quoted text>
That's like forty five minutes long, bro. What are we trying to establish? That we were designed to be altruistic and cooperative? I agree.

“It's Time. . .”

New Holland

#231543 Jul 1, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Thinking!!! I hope you're well :)
I just started brewing beer! No, really! And mead!
Mead was invented by Norse deities about 600 years ago. Science proves it!
Kidding - mead is like the oldest drink. I'm pretty sure it's more than 30 000 years old. And here I am, Hiding, doing it!
woooooooohoooooooooooo!
I tried mead, when a friend of mine went through a Robin Hood phase. They drank it in the movie, so I went and bought us some.

Tell you something interesting about it. In the old days, newly married couples used to drink mead together, because they believed it was an aphrodisiac. That's the origin of the expression honeymoon.

“It's Time. . .”

New Holland

#231544 Jul 1, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi, welcome!
Yo homegirl! LOL

“It's Time. . .”

New Holland

#231545 Jul 1, 2014
number four wrote:
<quoted text>..You couldn't have understood my post ....Do you work with the autistic or the alzheimer's
..?...I didn't even understand ' my' own post ...
I'm meant to say , there is no " irish" .."english"..nor any other blood line ..
Whatever you say, Simon.

“It's Time. . .”

New Holland

#231546 Jul 1, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
You are rubbing with sandpaper - ;-(
Our balmy high summers, midsummer’s day was 4 days ago, the last decent day we had. We had about a week in the almost 20s to low 20s and no rain for two weeks. For the last three days it’s been overcast with a light wind blowing from the artic (brrrrr) and today we have had showers.
Further south it’s worse, heavy rain, flooding and thunder storms (I feel for Thinking) but it is Glastonbury weekend so it’s excepted. The weather does not usually stop the show but it has done, this weekend…
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainme...
http://metrouk2.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/w...
http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/7589900...
Good job we are not water soluble
Full on!

It's not so great here though. Our hotter winters are a clear sign of global warming.
:-(

“When you treat people as they ”

Since: Nov 10

treat you they get offended.

#231547 Jul 1, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah, I'm sorry to hear that you get headaches from any alcohol. I get them from some, but not all, alcohols - they suck!
Yes, totally, tea. If you're in a Chinese restaurant, perhaps order Ulon-cha (er...that's Japanese, I don't know how to say that in Chinese, but that is Chinese tea).
Ah! Found it in English - different spelling!
https://www.google.com/webhp...
It's nice. If you can use chopsticks, too, they're happy :)
I'm pretty hopeless at Chinese. I can say 'thank you" and "I love you" and that's it...Not super helpful!
I really do like green tea. I know a restaurant where one of the chefs specialties is green tea soup with angel hair vermicelli and shredded duck spring rolls. It is wonderful.

Ahh you just reminded me, yup I’m hopeless at Chinese too – I learned some basics for a series of meetings I had, it turned out everyone spoke English so I never needed it. I am so glad too, because I found out later that the guy I was learning from was a bit of a comic, what I thought was “good to see you” turned out to be “I love you”

“It's Time. . .”

New Holland

#231548 Jul 1, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
I forgot, you reason like a girl.
A blonde girl specifically.
And you talk out of your ass.
Smile.
Japan is a nation of 127 million, all blondes. You really are a bucket of rocks, Kirschmann.

“It's Time. . .”

New Holland

#231549 Jul 1, 2014
sweets2360 wrote:
<quoted text>
But they didn't know right from wrong til after they ate the fruit. So it would be like sitting candy on the floor with a couple of kids running around. So whose fault would that be? The parents for sitting it within reach, or the kids who don't know the difference? Parents of course. God set them up for failure which means he is not a god, just a failure himself, or itself, I would never give a god a gender.
Besides, god lied to them. They did not die when they ate the fruit. There were not supposed to live forever anyway, cause they were kicked out of the garden, lest they eat of the tree of life. Remember?
So we are supposed to have a god that tricks A&E and lies to them? That is not even a demigod. It is a cartoon god for heavens sake.
Originally it was simply an ancient morality tale. Then, along came some religions that took the whole thing way too seriously...

“When you treat people as they ”

Since: Nov 10

treat you they get offended.

#231550 Jul 1, 2014
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
Full on!
It's not so great here though. Our hotter winters are a clear sign of global warming.
:-(
We are having far more serious storms and floods over the last few years than since records began.

Actually this year has not been too bad in that respect (yet) but certainly the weather is far less predictable than it was.

I have relatives in Queensland and they have mentioned some of the storms you guys are getting recently.

“It's Time. . .”

New Holland

#231551 Jul 1, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok, first, you're incorrect. Second, you're just making up stuff based on your own homophobic, religious trash belief system.
These are the points you are missing:
- homosexual is a sexual identity in Western culture. It does not exist in other cultures and only spread to them because of European conquest
- other cultures did same sex sexuality differently. As I described, it was not attached to sex or marriage, but gender roles
- if contemporary Native American groups have "homosexuality" in them, that's the result of cultural diffusion and colonization
- 67% of cultures regarded same sex sexual behavior as normal in 1951. If that's changed since then, it's because of globalization of Western cultural norms.
Western cultural norms are not human universals. They are not normal and natural for everyone, just for Westerners. Certainly, because of globalization and power they are being spread around the globe - but if you fail to realize that, and if you fail to realize the historical transformations here, you simply cannot understand, nor speak for, humanity.
You are anachronistic and falsely creating an image of humanity based on your own, poor understanding of culture.
Interesting stuff. There are many different views on the world to the one held by American fundamentalists.

I know that you Japanese didn't have such a problem with nanshoku. Neither did the ancient Greeks and Romans, before Xianity came to town.

“It's Time. . .”

New Holland

#231552 Jul 1, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Reading comprehension is far from you, hey. Here, from your own site, above. Exactly what I have been telling you:
" Due to the derogatory implications implicit in the etymology of berdache, contemporary Native Americans have suggested that its scholarly use be discontinued. Among the alternatives in current use, the most widely employed is two-spirit. Other scholars use specific native terms, such as winkte (from Lakota) or nadle (from Navajo), or else use a literal translation, such as "man-woman," of a native word."
It's the multisyllabic word "etymology" that's throwing you off. You mistakenly thought that meant Native Americans were anti-two spirit people. Rather, they're against the word b/c the word itself is insulting - like calling a white person a cracker or a Japanese person "nip," etc.
You should just listen to younger, smarter, wiser and better looking Hiding because, let's face it, you know nothin' John Snow.
:)
LOL! You're sharp as a katana. That one has no chance.

The word berdache originates from the French, then from a Persian word meaning "poof" or slave boy. I wouldn't call anyone but good friends that expression, because it is still insulting, although they often call themselves that. Easy to see why the Native Americans don't like it, 2-spirit is better.

Without being derogatory at all, it would actually be more accurate to call you people Nipponese.

Some stable somewhere

#231553 Jul 1, 2014
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
Ahhh, homebrew.
Interesting how you're brewing beer and mead. People here are brewing sake.
hahaha, nice! I'm worried about getting headaches - sake is a bit more iffy for me than beer, plus the process is more difficult.

English ale for the win!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 6 min Exchange 983,082
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 8 min Exchange 15,660
gay guys for fun on skype (Jan '13) 18 min Dave Matthews 4
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 24 min Anthony MN 683,628
USA Today, says Jehovah's Witnesses is the fast... (Feb '08) 56 min BORN AGAIN PAST JW 63
O.J. Simpson is about to be a free man once again. 1 hr REBUKING EVIL 19
Play "End of the Word" ..... Part 2 (Dec '16) 2 hr andet1987 85
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 4 hr harsh rebukes evi... 619,688
More from around the web