Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 239053 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#228019 May 1, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>In other words, you concede your point and your reputation.

Smile.
LOL

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#228020 May 1, 2014
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
YOU need to remember the fallen world's favorite buzz word - SELF!
if only i had a dime for every narcissistic song that included the lyrics "learn to love yourself/myself" i'd be rich!
btw - the world doesn't seem to be getting any better but really only more...well...SELFISH as a result of this oprah winfreyish new age BS, now do it!;-)
What fallen world?

There you go - living out a fantasy that doesn't exist in our reality.
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#228021 May 1, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Proper usage is "contemporaneous", not "contemporary".
fuckoffassclown!!!
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#228022 May 1, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Paul was writing about him 20 years later and churches had even started. There was a very quick startup of the religion, and it was diverse. No conspiracy. Except to you mind.
What you call a conspiracy was just the normal result of ascendancy to power and official doctrines developed with them. You have the same going on now with your gaytheism and inclusiveness and humanism.
BTW, your gay movement took longer to take hold than the first Christian churches. That is with mass media and lots of horn tooting.
Check out the Coptic Church and its beginnings and also realize that by 70 AD Christianity was well on its way.
http://www.nationalgeographic.com/lostgospel/...
The early churches were Jewish oriented. Paul turned it into a more universal religion which was spread by the Roman Empire.
Something happened to start that all in motion. It was not just a bunch of creative writers with nothing to do.
I don't respond to crazy people, sorry!!!!
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#228023 May 1, 2014
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
what are you babbling about?!
Your Jesus was a myth, is that clear enough?

“I.Spirit.Son.God”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#228024 May 1, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Your Jesus was a myth, is that clear enough?
You convincing yourself right?

Because surely I would hope you really not that stupid to think just because you write "Jesus was a myth" on a internet billboard that makes any difference to Christianity or to those that worship Jesus as God.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#228025 May 1, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>like I said , it's to general to be any kind of prophecy. Besides It's a known fact that Aliens are not to be trusted with any kind of predictions I thought you knew this!!!!
I'll make a prophecy, and I know it will come true. Ten years from this date, EXACTLY, the world population will be larger than it is now!!! I'll even make another one......Within the next 2 years, there will be a house fire in the town you now live in.
Both of these prophecies are just a valid as the one you CLAIM were made by Aliens. BTW what planet do they come from? What means of communication do they use? They obviously can communicate in the language at that time in order to make this bogus prophecy. What do they look like? On what date and to whom did they reveal this prophecy? This last questions is one you must answer or we will all know your making shit up. If you claim the prophecy is a fact just because it's written in an ancient holy book, then you and this prophecy have zero credibility. This would mean you have to believe everything that happened in all of the ancient Greek texts, all of the ancient Chinese texts. What makes your ancient book any more valid than ancient Greek texts?
You lose all the way around, you have no leg to stand on, you're just another crazy Christian spouting pure unadulterated bullshite!!!
Well, well, well! NOW you are going to finally respond...

1. "Too general"?

A band of recent slaves, wandering in a desert are going to become a great nation if they build their culture around the Laws this Alien gives.

Incredibly specific and exceptional in history.

2. "Known fact Aliens are not to be trusted"?

I'd LOVE to know where you got that little tidbit of information!

3. You'll make a 'prophecy'.

LOL, first, it hardly equates at any point of measure.

Second, guess what? Social scientists predict world population will DECLINE.

The house fire? Embarrassingly stupid.

4. As to your questions? I don't know. Those questions don't matter because they still leave this:

You claimed the Bible is a valueless fiction book. I noted that the Jews stand today in blatant opposition to your claim, as predicted by the Alien.

I haven't even started noting elements of the Alien's very presence as a radiation threat to humans, or the scientific significance of numerous laws.

You still have no answer.

Either retract your claim or produce a plausible explanation.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#228026 May 1, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>I don't respond to crazy people, sorry!!!!
No need to apologize. I am sure you have had issues responding to intellectual stimulus all of your life.

Other than going into shriek mode.

Perhaps the brain throbs disturb your hemorrhoids?

Poor guy.

Location hidden

#228027 May 1, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you should do your own research.
Or don't and continue to make anass "out of yourself on an international public forum".
It really is very helpful.
Neigh.
Oh I have.

That's why I asked you to explain your claim.

Got problems?

Smile.

Location hidden

#228028 May 1, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL,
"Facts don't need judging".
1. How did they become facts 'RATIONAL atheist' oxymoron???
2. She didn't list any facts. She mentioned a name.
Smirk smile.
No Shiite wrote:
<quoted text>You're too stupid to follow along. I'll leave you with this.
The doctrine that future happiness depends upon belief is monstrous. It is the infamy of infamies. The notion that faith in Christ is to be rewarded by an eternity of bliss, while a dependence upon reason, observation and experience merits everlasting pain, is too absurd for refutation, and can be relieved only by that unhappy mixture of insanity and ignorance, called "faith." What man, who ever thinks, can believe that blood can appease God? And yet, our entire system of religion is based upon that belief. The Jews pacified Jehovah with the blood of animals, and according to the Christian system, the blood of Jesus softened the heart of God a little, and rendered possible the salvation of a fortunate few. It is hard to conceive how the human mind can give assent to such terrible ideas, or how any sane man can read the Bible and still believe in the doctrine of inspiration.- RGI
I'm following along just fine.

In fact, you are trying to shift the subject because you hitched your shiite to a crashing plane that is now a sinking ship.

Snicker smile.

Location hidden

#228029 May 1, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
I just gave you an example of one that is fulfilled right now in front of your eyes. Made 5000 years ago.
And all you can do is make unvalidated denials.
Epic fail honey.
Smile.
<quoted text>
Huh?
How does your quote explain a 5,000 year old prediction that we see fulfilled in our time? A prophecy that distinguishes Jews from every other culture?
I'm just trying to understand the reasoning of the 'rational atheist' oxymoron poster punk.
Smile.
No Shiite wrote:
<quoted text>Confirmation bias.
I
No it's not, and you've provided no explanation on why it is.

The presence today of the Jewish culture as specifically predicted by the Alien is hardly confirmation bias.

You know that. That is why you are desperately trying to shift the subject.

Smile.

Location hidden

#228030 May 1, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
"Break" is as close as you get to the events. The truth is you lie.
1. She claimed Christianity is a total copy of other religions.
2. I listed the premiere characteristic of Christianity (C.S. Lewis is certainly not the only person who noted it, most Christian children know it too).
3. She gave the name of a religion.
4. I asked for a specific description how that grace works in Hinduism that requires performance for perfection.
Now, perhaps if all of you 'rational atheist' oxymorons put your heads together, I might get a reasoned answer?
Oh wait, she already bailed. Again.
Snicker.
No Shiite wrote:
<quoted text>Come on, Internet tough guy, name your time and place. Come at me, bro.
I
Ah, the 'rational atheist' oxymoron poster punk can't answer shiite, so now he wants to fight a near senile old jack ass!

Pretty typical practice of 'rational atheist' oxymorons taking the moral high ground from Christians!

I'm in your head. Damn it's lonely here!

Snicker smile.

Location hidden

#228031 May 1, 2014
No Shiite wrote:
<quoted text>You're doing this religion thing wrong, Pusillanimous Preacher. You need to take your freak show on the road and start grabbing the tithe money. Whoops, that's right. You're too scared to go out in public.
Christianity has such a contemptible opinion of human nature that it does not believe a man can tell the truth unless frightened by a belief in God. No lower opinion of the human race has ever been expressed.- RGI
How hypocritically ironic and stupid.

You make a blatant idiotic troll assault, and then quote a fellow 'rational atheist' oxymoron deriding supposed Christian immorality.

For some reason, I expected more from the RAO ('rational atheist' oxymoron) poster punk. How discouraging that evil makes one so blindly stupid.

Smile.

Westcliffe, CO

#228032 May 1, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
trifecta1 wrote:
<quoted text> You convincing yourself right?
Because surely I would hope you really not that stupid to think just because you write "Jesus was a myth" on a internet billboard that makes any difference to Christianity or to those that worship Jesus as God.
Once upon a time blacklagoon related a war story to us from his time in Vietnam.

He was in a foxhole of 5 atheists. He claimed they were all atheists.

A grenade landed in it and one of them jumped on it to save his and the other's lives.

He said this was a true story.

Five YOUNG men in war in a foxhole in battle and all hard core atheists. And one sacrifices his life in an instant decision to saved others. Of course it was because of evolution and no religious beliefs that triggered that instant decision according to him.

Where in the Atheist Manual does it preach self sacrifice, giving up the only one you have, to save comrades by chance in a war based on economics, especially since those buddies by chance were also engaged in the effort to kill others?

I am sure the young man grew up with some religious training in his background somewhere that contributed to his split second decision.

Which saved blacklagoon's life.

Which allowed him to play with his sailboat and get on here and ridicule anyone with religious belief.

Location hidden

#228033 May 1, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
The truth makes you nervous?
It should.
Wise words from long ago: "There is nothing new under the sun".
Fools like you are as old as humanity.
By the way, you do a great job as the 'rational atheist' oxymoron poster punk.
No Shiite wrote:
<quoted text>1. You have zero truths.
2. Nothing about you makes me nervous. Nauseous, yes.
3. You call me a punk but you won't name a time and place to say it to me in person.
1. So far you've epically failed at explaining just two recent challenges.

2. You are too dumb to know the terror that awaits. The nauseousness is embarrassment at how stupid you are looking as the RAO poster punk.

3. Are you physically threatening me?

Smirk.

Location hidden

#228034 May 1, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
"By dying".
Wrong, and don't know shiite about theology. Look it up and learn.
You have proof it is a con? Please show me your scientific proof 'rational atheist' oxymoron poster punk.
Smile.
No Shiite wrote:
<quoted text>So, you don't have to die? Hookay, ITG. Proof? Well, there's you. Here is your proof in two words. Kenneth Copeland. You clowns sell a product you never have to deliver. The very definition of con.
First, KC hardly represents any measurable segment of classic Christianity.

Second, his theology claims power over death. I think you were trying to go the OTHER way...

Another epic fail. Sigh. I'm beginning to feel sorry for you poster punk...

Snicker smile.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#228035 May 1, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
Clear that you think he's a myth.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#228036 May 1, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
"Under Communist Party rule since 1949, China is officially an atheist country, but Christianity is growing. According to the Pew Research Center, China's Christian population had reached 67 million by 2010, the second largest in Asia."
http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/01/world/asia/chin...
That is a sizeable percentage of people committed to a belief. In fact, too big not to increase in number. That many in concert will sway the non-committed and apathetic.
I have posted many times about Christianity being the escape from the tyranny of man over man. Just takes time and belief your god will prevail, which is built into the religion. Atheists, Topix type included, are geared to immediate self-gratification. That is why they always get swept away with the dust in time.
Buddhism is comparative in numbers to Christianity in China. I don't see your point. Islam is one of the fastest growing religions in China. None of it matters. The state makes the rules. I would advise following them.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#228037 May 1, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
Clear that you can't prove he's a myth.

Westcliffe, CO

#228038 May 1, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Buddhism is comparative in numbers to Christianity in China. I don't see your point. Islam is one of the fastest growing religions in China. None of it matters. The state makes the rules. I would advise following them.
Th state is fighting a losing battle.

Buddhists have been known to get activist in social issues. I would assume a lot of the Islam in China is from annexed territories. They already have issues with them.

Christianity was totally evangelical. Buddhism is home grown, as is much of that Islam.

Explain how that foreign religion has gained such a foothold.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 2 min Insults Are Easier 837,377
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 2 min kent 589,511
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 3 min Pegasus 271,283
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 10 min HipGnosis 176,844
gay bottom in gurgaon (May '14) 30 min rdgupta 87
liston is here and still dancing wilth new pro... (May '13) 35 min martn 24
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 42 min WasteWater 4,168
More from around the web