Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 255294 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“A sentient umbrella speaks”

Since: Mar 11

Some stable somewhere

#227930 May 1, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
I got a fever, and the prescription is MORE COWBELL!
Ohayou!
ohayogazaimasu

chotto ne, kokode yoru nondesukedo...

More cowbell!!!

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#227931 May 1, 2014
No Shiite wrote:
<quoted text>"Pitimize"! Hahahahahahahahahaha.
It's a double entendre that was too close for you to get.

Smile.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#227932 May 1, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>That is my real name.
Ah.

I thought it was a typo and I couldn't figure out what he meant.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#227933 May 1, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, that's why it's promise is life ever lasting...

You pitimize 'rational atheist' oxymoron...
Pitimize?

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#227934 May 1, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>"Throughout his long and productive life, Michael Faraday was also a committed Christian. Not a social church-goer - although he spent more hours in a pew than any of us are likely to; not just a conforming member of a ``Christian'' society - although he lived in a society which saw itself as Christian; on the contrary, he belonged to a distinctly nonconformist denomination, which demanded from its members an extremely high level of commitment and devotion: the Sandemanians. Moreover, in addition to his lifelong lay involvement, he acted for significant periods of his career as co-pastor (strictly `Elder') of the London congregation of which he was a member. During those periods he preached (or rather, exhorted) in the services and undertook the spiritual oversight and pastoral care of the people in the congregation.

As we shall see, Faraday kept these two dominant aspects of his life - his religious faith and his scientific research - distinct. Actually this separation was mostly one way. He rarely entered into religious discussions with his fellow scientists, but, to judge by his voluminous correspondence, he did enter into lively scientific discussions with his Sandemanian friends. Moreover, despite his scrupulous focus on natural phenomena in his scientific profession, there is ample evidence that Faraday's faith had a strong influence on his own practice of science. We shall see two ways in which this influence is manifest. First, in the philosophical framework which was the context in which he approached the study of nature, and second in the social and ethical principles which he believed should underlie the pursuit of the scientific enterprise. "

http://silas.psfc.mit.edu/Faraday/

"Biographers have noted that "a strong sense of the unity of God and nature pervaded Faraday's life and work."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Faraday

That man was the god of modern physics. Sorry, but he gave the answers to science, not the other way around.
As we shall see, Faraday kept these two dominant aspects of his life - his religious faith and his scientific research - distinct.

Was that your point?

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#227935 May 1, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>"Break" is as close as you get to the events. The truth is you lie.

1. She claimed Christianity is a total copy of other religions.

2. I listed the premiere characteristic of Christianity (C.S. Lewis is certainly not the only person who noted it, most Christian children know it too).

3. She gave the name of a religion.

4. I asked for a specific description how that grace works in Hinduism that requires performance for perfection.

Now, perhaps if all of you 'rational atheist' oxymorons put your heads together, I might get a reasoned answer?

Oh wait, she already bailed. Again.

Snicker.
I think you should do your own research.

Or don't and continue to make anass "out of yourself on an international public forum".

It really is very helpful.

Neigh.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#227936 May 1, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>Finally we have someone who acknowledges that birds can talk in human language.

When one talks about the serpent in the Garden of Eden.
It is necessary to differentiate between the pre-cursed serpent and the post cursed serpent.
Oh.

Well THAT makes it MUCH more believable.

United States

#227937 May 1, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
ohayogazaimasu
chotto ne, kokode yoru nondesukedo...
More cowbell!!!
Oh no!

I lost the cowbell!

And alone, it cannot make any noise!

Oh the irony of defeat!

!!!

“Aaaaaaaaaaaaah”

Since: Aug 07

Piscataway

#227939 May 1, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL,
"Facts don't need judging".
1. How did they become facts 'RATIONAL atheist' oxymoron???
2. She didn't list any facts. She mentioned a name.
Smirk smile.
You're too stupid to follow along. I'll leave you with this.

The doctrine that future happiness depends upon belief is monstrous. It is the infamy of infamies. The notion that faith in Christ is to be rewarded by an eternity of bliss, while a dependence upon reason, observation and experience merits everlasting pain, is too absurd for refutation, and can be relieved only by that unhappy mixture of insanity and ignorance, called "faith." What man, who ever thinks, can believe that blood can appease God? And yet, our entire system of religion is based upon that belief. The Jews pacified Jehovah with the blood of animals, and according to the Christian system, the blood of Jesus softened the heart of God a little, and rendered possible the salvation of a fortunate few. It is hard to conceive how the human mind can give assent to such terrible ideas, or how any sane man can read the Bible and still believe in the doctrine of inspiration.- RGI

“Aaaaaaaaaaaaah”

Piscataway

#227940 May 1, 2014
KiMare wrote:
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
I just gave you an example of one that is fulfilled right now in front of your eyes. Made 5000 years ago.
And all you can do is make unvalidated denials.
Epic fail honey.
Smile.
<quoted text>
Huh?
How does your quote explain a 5,000 year old prediction that we see fulfilled in our time? A prophecy that distinguishes Jews from every other culture?
I'm just trying to understand the reasoning of the 'rational atheist' oxymoron poster punk.
Smile.
Confirmation bias.

Blasphemy is an epithet bestowed by superstition upon common sense. Whoever investigates a religion as he would any department of science is called a blasphemer. Whoever contradicts a priest; whoever has the impudence to use his own reason; whoever is brave enough to express his honest thought, is a blasphemer. When the missionary speaks slightingly of the wooden god of a savage, the savage regards him as a blasphemer. To laugh at the pretensions of Mohammed in Constantinople is blasphemy. To say in St Peter's that Mohammed was a prophet of God is blasphemy. There was a time when to acknowledge the divinity of Christ in Jerusalem was blasphemy. To deny his divinity is now blasphemy in New York.- RGI

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#227941 May 1, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
As we shall see, Faraday kept these two dominant aspects of his life - his religious faith and his scientific research - distinct.
Was that your point?
You claim it is impossible.

Inspiration guides science.

“Aaaaaaaaaaaaah”

Piscataway

#227942 May 1, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
"Break" is as close as you get to the events. The truth is you lie.
1. She claimed Christianity is a total copy of other religions.
2. I listed the premiere characteristic of Christianity (C.S. Lewis is certainly not the only person who noted it, most Christian children know it too).
3. She gave the name of a religion.
4. I asked for a specific description how that grace works in Hinduism that requires performance for perfection.
Now, perhaps if all of you 'rational atheist' oxymorons put your heads together, I might get a reasoned answer?
Oh wait, she already bailed. Again.
Snicker.
Come on, Internet tough guy, name your time and place. Come at me, bro.

Every sect is a certificate that God has not plainly revealed his will to man. To each reader the Bible conveys a different meaning.- RGI

“Aaaaaaaaaaaaah”

Piscataway

#227943 May 1, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
It's a double entendre that was too close for you to get.
Smile.
Sure, ITG, sure.

Is there an intelligent man or woman now in the world who believes in the Garden of Eden story? If you find any man who believes it, strike his forehead and you will hear an echo. Something is for rent.-- Robert Green Ingersoll, "Orthodoxy" (1884)

“Aaaaaaaaaaaaah”

Piscataway

#227944 May 1, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you should do your own research.
Or don't and continue to make anass "out of yourself on an international public forum".
It really is very helpful.
Neigh.
Haha.

“Aaaaaaaaaaaaah”

Piscataway

#227945 May 1, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Dave, it doesn't keep them from getting dizzy - it focuses their body on how to move. I know this b/c I dance, do martial arts and all kinds of spins (well, I used to; now I'm just a big, gross, yucky loser).
Anyways, if you're going to spin, you turn your head first. Then your body follows. That's it. It's pretty simple. Body always follows head. Very simple - you use the same principle in downhill skiing and snowboarding.
I also used to dive roll a lot - all the time, quite good at it -in dive rolling, you don't need to focus your gaze on something before starting the next roll. What keeps you from becoming dizzy is practice. I'm always dizzy if I haven't done it in a few months. Then, after a week or so of practice, no more dizziness (new people take a bit longer). The body and brain just get used to the movement and learn how to compensate. After a couple weeks, I can close my eyes and dive roll in any direction - front, back, side, diagonal, doesn't matter, no dizziness.
It's like playing pool drunk. Practice makes perfect.
Now he has to make a new tinfoil hat.

“Aaaaaaaaaaaaah”

Piscataway

#227946 May 1, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Concede like a man honey.
It really looks bad for...
Never mind, it's typical for 'rational atheist' oxymorons.
Smirk.
You're doing this religion thing wrong, Pusillanimous Preacher. You need to take your freak show on the road and start grabbing the tithe money. Whoops, that's right. You're too scared to go out in public.

Christianity has such a contemptible opinion of human nature that it does not believe a man can tell the truth unless frightened by a belief in God. No lower opinion of the human race has ever been expressed.- RGI

“Aaaaaaaaaaaaah”

Piscataway

#227947 May 1, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
The truth makes you nervous?
It should.
Wise words from long ago: "There is nothing new under the sun".
Fools like you are as old as humanity.
By the way, you do a great job as the 'rational atheist' oxymoron poster punk.
1. You have zero truths.

2. Nothing about you makes me nervous. Nauseous, yes.

3. You call me a punk but you won't name a time and place to say it to me in person.

The Pusillanimous Preacher strikes again! So scawy! Monster's mutation? Hardly. More like a pussy's frustration.

On every hand there seems to be design to defeat design.
If God created man -- if he is the father of us all, why did he make the criminals, the insane, the deformed and idiotic?
Should the mother, who clasps to her breast an idiot child, thank God?
-- Robert Green Ingersoll, from "Why I Am an Agnostic" (1896)

I guess so. Your's did.

“Aaaaaaaaaaaaah”

Piscataway

#227949 May 1, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for admitting you live by the Atheistic double standard.
Haha, I've reduced you to useless powder.

Day by day, religious conceptions grow less and less intense. Day by day, the old spirit dies out of book and creed. The burning enthusiasm, the quenchless zeal of the early church have gone, never, never to return. The ceremonies remain, but the ancient faith is fading out of the human heart. The worn-out arguments fail to convince, and denunciations that once blanched the faces of a race, excite in us only derision and disgust. As time rolls on, the miracles grow mean and small, and the evidences our fathers thought conclusive utterly fail to satisfy us.- RGI

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#227950 May 1, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Dave, it doesn't keep them from getting dizzy - it focuses their body on how to move. I know this b/c I dance, do martial arts and all kinds of spins (well, I used to; now I'm just a big, gross, yucky loser).
Anyways, if you're going to spin, you turn your head first. Then your body follows. That's it. It's pretty simple. Body always follows head. Very simple - you use the same principle in downhill skiing and snowboarding.
I also used to dive roll a lot - all the time, quite good at it -in dive rolling, you don't need to focus your gaze on something before starting the next roll. What keeps you from becoming dizzy is practice. I'm always dizzy if I haven't done it in a few months. Then, after a week or so of practice, no more dizziness (new people take a bit longer). The body and brain just get used to the movement and learn how to compensate. After a couple weeks, I can close my eyes and dive roll in any direction - front, back, side, diagonal, doesn't matter, no dizziness.
It's like playing pool drunk. Practice makes perfect.
You aren't understanding something scientifically, sweetness. The spotting isn't telling the body how to move, it gets the head in a position, by it's own volition, to counteract the physical effects of spinning. You have a time delay issue in reaction in the inner ear and eyesight. It's a gravity, mass in motion, EM circuitry thingy counteracted by picking a focus point and forcing yourself to maintain it. It gives you something to keep your bearings within the limits of your physical construction.

I could go into that a considerable amount more, but not here.

Relative to the greater universe you are tumbling and somesaulting at much greater rates and in more directions than those endeavors you mention. We are spinning and yawing way beyond our physical abilities. Your physical link of energy exchanges with the earth is what is giving you a localized balance to work within. You look past it and you can get dizzy. Hence the Topix atheist refusal to look beyond themselves.

That spotting is a technique developed by the mind to maintain balance here. It is something developed past simple reactiveness.

Focus on the stars and you get dizzy. Focus on what created the stars and you have better control.

“Aaaaaaaaaaaaah”

Piscataway

#227951 May 1, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for admitting you live by the Atheistic double standard.
You didn't answer my question. We already know the big, weird rewards you have planned for yourself after you die. What happens to non-believers after they die? What retribution do you find just for anyone who decided not to agree with your personal god, the one you invented in your head. Go ahead, be honest. Remember, it's a thought crime. What is a just eternal punishment for a thought crime?

The doctrine of eternal punishment is in perfect harmony with the savagery of the men who made the orthodox creeds. It is in harmony with torture, with flaying alive, and with burnings. The men who burned their fellow-men for a moment, believed that God would burn his enemies forever.
-- Robert Green Ingersoll, "Crumbling Creeds"

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 4 min Rosesz 641,221
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 4 min Peter Ross 37,810
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 17 min Cousin of Pipek 44,299
Greatest panties and/or bra experience (Jan '11) 20 min girls like boys i... 15
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 37 min Cousin of Pipek 618,346
Why do white men hate white women who want blac... (May '11) 39 min Paul is dead 4,059
Play "end of the word" part 2 54 min WasteWater 1,707
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 1 hr Gobeklitepe God 969,906
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 5 hr Anna 104,608
More from around the web