Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 255498 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#227487 Apr 28, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
oh sure, i click on all the links from anticristers - thanks!;-)

“Aaaaaaaaaaaaah”

Since: Aug 07

Piscataway

#227488 Apr 28, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
Dave has random time generator. He made it with magnets and duct tape.
He is "The McGuiver to the Lord".
As long as he is kept out of the genpop.

“Aaaaaaaaaaaaah”

Piscataway

#227489 Apr 28, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
I am befuddled by a religion that claims truth yet can't be honest enough to say "We don't know.".
But, but, but Goddidit.

“Aaaaaaaaaaaaah”

Piscataway

#227490 Apr 28, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
Correct. I base that 'belief' mostly on Leviticus and Mark. It is my 'belief' and I don't need to force it on anyone else. Another reason I do not call myself a "Christian".
Religion is a virus.

“Evolved hunter/gatherer”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#227491 Apr 28, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I asked you to questions and you "answered" me with two more questions.
O.o
That is correct. Your reply was open and incomplete, so to help clarify what you mean, I asked you questions to help you find what the term really means.
Again. Are there "sentient" plants? I mean based on your loose definition as "sense" and "feeling" and "responding to".

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#227492 Apr 28, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Where are these "real good records"?
You claim they exist, post them. Show us how "real good records" of crucifixion from the Roman Empire.
Go.
For a start, the crucifiction of 6,000 slaves following the slave revolt led by Sparticus circa 100 BC.- Plutarch, Appian and Florus (Contemporary Roman Historians)

All the way up to Nero lining the streets of Rome with crucified Christians circa 60 AD. Tacitus (an eye witness)

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#227493 Apr 28, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
It's 13.74 billion years.
And there is certifiable evidence from multiple independent sources.
There is no debate. Only refinement.
You have no dog in this fight.
oh i missed the .74 - sorry! LMAO!!!

you've seen, touched and handled this 'proof' yourself, i'm sure!

i'm only letting a few 'choice' individuals in on this deal, but i have some really good investiment strategies i'd like to talk to you about and i'm only requiring 10K up-front!;-)

“"None shall pass"”

There

#227494 Apr 28, 2014
No Shiite wrote:
<quoted text>Thank you for calling me your intellectual superior, as I never made that claim.
He was using fairy stories as a noun. As an adjective or modifier, it would be a hyphenated modifier. You usually get those wrong, so I'm not surprised, oh great teacher of phantasmagorical "wisdom".
The best part about you, the most entertaining, is when you hoist on your own petard. You always ask for proof of hands. I imagine that your feet must be missing for how many times you have shot yourself in them. Stay consistent. I love a good laugh. At your expense.
RR does to language what DaveNelson does to science.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#227495 Apr 28, 2014
No Shiite wrote:
Historian Augusta
Egypt, which you commended to me, my dearest Servianus, I have found to be wholly fickle and inconsistent, and continually wafted about by every breath of fame. The worshipers of Serapis are called Christians (Chrestians), and those who are devoted to the god Serapis, call themselves Bishops of Christ (Chrestus) are, in fact, devotees of Serapis. There is no chief of the Jewish synagogue, no Samaritan, no Christian (Chrestian) presbyter, who is not an astrologer, a soothsayer, or an anointer. Even the Patriarch himself, when he comes to Egypt, is forced by some to worship Serapis, by others to worship Christ (Chrestus). They are a folk most seditious, most deceitful, most given to injury; but their city is prosperous, rich, and fruitful, and in it no one is idle.
Oh, and speaking of Josephus:
Beyond the bible, the historian Josephus supplies some insights. Writing toward the end of the first century, himself an eye-witness of the Roman destruction of Jerusalem in 70 A.D, he tells us that the region was filled with "cheats and deceivers claiming divine inspiration" (Jewish War, 2.259-60; Jewish Antiquities, 20.167), entrancing the masses and leading them like sheep, usually to their doom. The most successful of these "tricksters" appears to be "the Egyptian" who led a flock of 30,000 believers around Palestine (Jewish War, 2.261-2; Paul is mistaken for him by a Roman officer in Acts 21:38). This fellow even claimed he could topple the walls of Jerusalem with a single word (Jewish Antiquities, 20.170), yet it took a massacre at the hands of Roman troops to finally instill doubt in his followers.
And what of Philo-Judaeus?
Philo was born before the beginning of the Christian era, and lived until long after the reputed death of Christ. He wrote an account of the Jews covering the entire time that Christ is said to have existed on earth. He was living in or near Jerusalem when Christ's alleged miraculous birth and the Herodian massacre occurred. He was there when Christ alleged made his triumphal entry into Jerusalem. He was there when the alleged crucifixion with its attendant earthquake, supernatural darkness and resurrection of the dead took place——when Christ himself rose from the dead and in the presence of many witnesses ascended into heaven. These marvelous events which must have filled the world with amazement, had they really occurred, were unknown to him. It was Philo who developed the doctrine of the Logos, or Word, and although this Word incarnate dwelt in that very land and in the presence of multitudes revealed himself and demonstrated his divine powers, Philo saw it not.
- The Christ, Chapter 2
http://www.positiveatheism.org/hist/rmsbrg02....
Note that Josephus never mentions Paul or the existence of a Roman Catholic Church in Rome. By their own arguments, Paul nor a unified church existed, thus the whole of Christianity is built on a massive lie.

Dumbazz Christers hoisted by their own petard.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#227496 Apr 28, 2014
No Shiite wrote:
<quoted text>Religion is a virus.
I agree. I have no problem with people having spiritual beliefs.Sadly, that has little to do with religions. Religion is simply the oldest con game on the planet.

Location hidden

#227497 Apr 28, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>I guess you really are this stupid. Science needs data in order to tell if something really happened. The claim was that Aliens were somehow involved in making biblical predictions. In order to validate that claim, data is needed.
Apparently you have an impairment or two.

"Science needs data in order to tell if something really happened. "

Correct. Thank you for proving my point that science is wholly incapable of proving anything at all, unless "traces" of what science accepts as "traces", exist.

Let's say that a person walks across a room, but leaves NO empirical evidence whatsoever in the room. Science is incapable of proving that the person actually walked across the room but yet it happened.

Your little itty bitty box of currently acceptable empirical evidence, leaves science helpless to "discover" what lies beyond it's itty bitty box of proof.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#227498 Apr 28, 2014
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>oh i missed the .74 - sorry! LMAO!!!

you've seen, touched and handled this 'proof' yourself, i'm sure!

i'm only letting a few 'choice' individuals in on this deal, but i have some really good investiment strategies i'd like to talk to you about and i'm only requiring 10K up-front!;-)
Yes, I have seen this evidence myself. And I have studied it from various angles.

You have nothing but the word of priests and A book.

I have hundreds of books and the word of thousands of highly qualified scientists.

You are a clueless dolt.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#227499 Apr 28, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:

Where are these "real good records"?

You claim they exist, post them. Show us how "real good records" of crucifixion from the Roman Empire.

Go.
blacklagoon wrote:
Get off your fat lazy ass and find them for yourself. I refuse to do your research for you. I discovered them, are you unable or unwilling to do the same? Just maybe you're afraid the results might undermine your superstitious beliefs, to see your Jesus disappear in a whiff of smoke like a bad magic trick.
Do your own homework lazyass.
You made the claim that the Romans kept "very good records of their crucifixions".

The onus is NOT on me to support your claim.

I challenged you. You chickened out.

You lose.

Location hidden

#227500 Apr 28, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>
. I do chuckle every time I hear an ignorant believer refer to evolution as "It's only a theory"
It is a theory. It is called a theory even by the scientists promoting the theory.
<smile>

What proof do you have of the origin of the speech gene? From what "lower" life form does it originate? Why does it not exist in any other life form aside from homo sapien on this planet?
The theory is still full of holes. You know that too.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#227501 Apr 28, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Websters say that as an adjective fairy-tale is hyphenated.
That means there's a dash between fairy and tale.
Ya that's how they write it in the UK.

I'm not in the UK.....

Thank God.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#227502 Apr 28, 2014
No Shiite wrote:
<quoted text>Oh Great Teacher of Phantasmagorical "Wisdom", please diagram the above sentence for me. The structure is proving difficult to interpret, but surely there is no way a pedant of such prowess could have made a mistake in its composition.
Of course, your boy Lightbeamrider is flummoxed by homonyms yet you never seem to correct him. Curious, no?
Tarzan say RR talk good.

Tarzan always right.

Make Tarzan sammich.

Location hidden

#227503 Apr 28, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Sentience is the ability to feel, see, hear, smell, or taste and be responsive to, or conscious of, sense impressions.
What animal on this planet is not sentient?
If stars and humans are made of the same goodies, why aren't stars sentient?
<quoted text>
I don't know why you're on the floor, because I never said that all living things are sentient. I didn't say that and I certainly didn't imply it.
Having trouble reading again, purfesir?
"I never said that all living things are sentient."

Yes you did. Your definition was so broad that it included all life.
That is why I asked you about the plant kingdom Einstein.
Again, are plants sentient?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#227504 Apr 28, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
It's 13.74 billion years.
And there is certifiable evidence from multiple independent sources.
There is no debate. Only refinement.
You have no dog in this fight.
You sure it's not 13.77? 13.745? 13.23?

Location hidden

#227505 Apr 28, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Too funny, you speak as though there is another realm beside the one we occupy.
!!!
Interesting.
How many dimensions exist in this realm you occupy? Do you occupy them all sir? Is the list complete or are certain scientists working feverishly in figuring out how to "discover" more dimensions?
Do all the dimensions occupy or exist in the same time/space?

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#227506 Apr 28, 2014
No Shiite wrote:
Someone please explain to me how the pious never display their piety, how the alleged followers of the Christ are never Christ-like, and how those who claim to be Bible-worshipping Christians never follow the guidance of the Bible.
Jesus: How you treat the least of these is how you treat me.
Paul: Those who don't work don't eat.
Dichotomy lobotomy, that Jesus guy was a welfare queen! Paul is where it's at. He's let his cattle graze illegally on Federal land while calling others takers.
What a puusy.

Cheap shots while running from real questions.

You don't fool anyone honey.

Smile.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
America needs to DIE!!! This is why.... (Mar '10) 4 min IPT 3
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 9 min Catcher1 48,177
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 13 min OverLord Leyland 445,694
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 18 min The Hangman 971,595
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 37 min Rosesz 646,376
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 48 min WildWeirdWillie 182,626
*** All Time Favorite Songs *** (Dec '10) 51 min Classic 3,677
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 1 hr jbraly 105,559
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 1 hr Peace_Warrior 618,558
More from around the web