Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258512 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#225197 Apr 17, 2014
IPSEC wrote:
<quoted text>In fact, intercessory prayer has been proven as harmful to the "victim".

BOSTON, MA-March 31, 2006-For those facing surgery or battling disease, the prayers of others can be a comfort. Researchers in the Study of the Therapeutic Effects of Intercessory Prayer (STEP), the largest study to examine the effects of intercessory prayer-prayer provided by others-evaluated the impact of such prayer on patients recovering from coronary artery bypass graft (CABG) surgery.

The STEP team, composed of investigators at six academic medical centers, including Baptist Memorial Hospital in Memphis, Tennessee; Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston, Massachusetts; Integris Baptist Medical Center in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma; Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota; St. Joseph's Hospital in Tampa, Florida; Washington Hospital Center in Washington, D.C; and the Mind/Body Medical Institute, found that intercessory prayer had no effect on recovery from surgery without complications. The study also found that patients who knew they were receiving intercessory prayer fared worse. The paper appears in the April issue of American Heart Journal.

http://web.med.harvard.edu/sites/RELEASES/htm...

It puts stress on people when the pious band about them and wield their piety. There may be some merit to personal prayer, like meditation has merit, but making a public spectacle for others is demonstrably ineffective and demonstrably harmful.
So basically it's worse than doing nothing.

Ugh. Rapture already, it'd be nice if they'd just let the rest of us be in the meantime.

They view us as their "victims" one moment then cry persecution the next.

There are no redeeming qualities in christianity at all.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#225198 Apr 17, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>People who believed in God and rights derived from creation by God founded and preserved a nation for you to live free in.

I hope you don't mind the interference with your life.
Massacred millions and stole their land you mean. What lovely christians.

Your nation is not free.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#225199 Apr 17, 2014
Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>Aw what you are saying is you're fine with us as long as we stay in the closet. Yea that's not going to happen in a free nation with equality for ALL.
Yeah. You've really been forced into the closet.

Oh, puh-lease.

“I see quantum effects”

Location hidden

#225200 Apr 17, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>People who believed in God and rights derived from creation by God founded and preserved a nation for you to live free in.

I hope you don't mind the interference with your life.
Rights derived from creation by god....

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Oh.

You were being serious.

“I see quantum effects”

Location hidden

#225201 Apr 17, 2014
IPSEC wrote:
<quoted text>Spring Break is a holiday? We don't recognize Washington's Birthday in schools, already.
My kids get Good Friday off.

Public school, too.

“The Bible is no science book”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#225202 Apr 17, 2014
Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>Pure lies. I do know a guy that could work but would rather sit on his rear fleecing the tax payers. No shock he worships Obama. He and others like him in this nation are why others that actually are needy have less. Don't know how he lives with himself.
And why don't you go ask him if he is a Christian? Odd are, he is.

Buck Crick

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#225203 Apr 17, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
No that isn't what I wrote, what was written was Haeckel drawings are useful in teaching comparative and developmental biology, but his recapitulation theory is false,
"Otherwise put, recapitulation theory with each successive stage in the development of an individual represents one of the adult forms that appeared in its evolutionary history"
The above is false
"Darwin's view, that early embryonic stages are similar to the same embryonic stage of related species but not to the adult stages of these species, has been confirmed by modern evolutionary developmental biology"
The above is true.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recapitulation_t...
That says nothing. Things are similar. Big deal.

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#225204 Apr 17, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Rights derived from creation by god....
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
Oh.
You were being serious.
Yeah. Here's some more chuckles for you. Pick up a history book.

"... to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them,..."

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#225206 Apr 17, 2014
IPSEC wrote:
<quoted text>Rewriting history, again.

Texas people should ship you to California, after they knock your teeth down your stupid throat.

“I see quantum effects”

Location hidden

#225207 Apr 17, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah. Here's some more chuckles for you. Pick up a history book.

"... to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them,..."
That's a pretty obscure and ambiguous quote. "Nature's god" can mean many things to many people.

The founders were clearly aware of the damage that religion could do if it were incorporated into law and politics.

After all, that's why they risked everything to come here.

You're a sad little man.

When will you admit that your "designer" is God.

“I see quantum effects”

Location hidden

#225208 Apr 17, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>Texas people should ship you to California, after they knock your teeth down your stupid throat.
Ooooo....

Scary.

“Evolved hunter/gatherer”

Location hidden

#225209 Apr 17, 2014
karl44 wrote:
<quoted text>
I hope to see the end of christianity in my life time
atheism gives me this hope
Why?
What's in that end for you?

“I see quantum effects”

Location hidden

#225210 Apr 17, 2014
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>Why?
What's in that end for you?
Progress.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#225211 Apr 17, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah. Here's some more chuckles for you. Pick up a history book.
"The Religion then of every man must be left to the conviction and conscience of every man; and it is the right of every man to exercise it as these may dictate. This right is in its nature an unalienable right. It is unalienable, because the opinions of men, depending only on the evidence contemplated by their own minds cannot follow the dictates of other men"

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#225212 Apr 17, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:

That's a pretty obscure and ambiguous quote. "Nature's god" can mean many things to many people.
It doesn't say "Nature's god".

Geez man, the quote is right there.

“I see quantum effects”

Location hidden

#225213 Apr 17, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah. Here's some more chuckles for you. Pick up a history book.

I got thrown out of US history in high school. They graduated me even though it was a mandatory credit.

Know why I got thrown out?

Because I knew it was all bullshit.

I find now, that I actually enjoy history to an extent.

Know why?

Because it's possible to find out the REAL stories now.

It's certainly not the virtuous history of heroes taught in high school.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#225214 Apr 17, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
Progress.
Death.

Nothing more.

To be discarded like a broken radio.

“Evolved hunter/gatherer”

Location hidden

#225215 Apr 17, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I told you that you don't understand Christianity...
According to the Bible, everyone must give an account of himself, and God will judge the decisions you've made.
If God knows all and sees all, then, is not having God ask you for a personal account a little ridiculous?
Seems to me that if God already knows everything that you have done in this life and dimension, then God could simply just save time and energy by just handing down your "judgment".
Seems to me that if one actually has a personal relationship with God, or His son, then God would already know where and how you walked this road on Earth.
I thought you said that you already had this "fellowship".
Just how is that to be understood Redneck?

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#225216 Apr 17, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
The founders were clearly aware of the damage that religion could do if it were incorporated into law and politics.
After all, that's why they risked everything to come here.
You're a sad little man.
When will you admit that your "designer" is God.
"Nature's god" refers to a god. Not ambiguous at all.

If they had meant "Nature's Ass", they would have said something like "Nature's Ass".

“I see quantum effects”

Location hidden

#225217 Apr 17, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>Death.

Nothing more.

To be discarded like a broken radio.
That makes your current life a waste, doesn't it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 5 min Big Al 703,551
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 7 min Diabolical Democrats 87,246
God is REAL - Miracles Happen! (Jun '11) 28 min Wisdom of Ages 6,913
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 29 min Big Al 996,406
why Donald Trump is president (Oct '17) 2 hr Fhreep Pun Ho III 33
There is Everything Wrong with Abortion (Nov '07) 2 hr Big Al 223,071
School honoring Confed general 2B Renamed 4 Bar... 3 hr Cordon Bleu 1