Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 238901 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#224251 Apr 13, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
You seem angry.
Think of the flower pixies.
Nobody has ever killed for a disbelief.
Well-- to be technical, nobody was killed in the **name** of disbelief.

In the Muslim world? If you profess to be a non-believer, Islam **will** kill your azz.

The same thing in pure Christian areas-- that is, where Christianity is both government AND religion, if you profess to not believe? You get death.

This is why religion is evil.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#224252 Apr 13, 2014
O G Kush wrote:
<quoted text>
Nothing surprises me where our corrupt politicians were concerned.
Our country's elections amount to rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic. We can't vote our government back to us. A peaceful, people's revolution is the only way we can take back our government.
The multi-billion dollar business of buying and selling political influence (currently the driving engine of our government) must be overthrown, repudiated and thoroughly replaced if democracy is to survive in America.
This massive influence-peddling scam must become our number one political issue because it underlies and thus greatly affects all other issues.
If we don't get big money out of our politics, our democracy and our standard of living will continue to decline and surely we'll take the rest of the world down with us.
These is a word for this: oligarchy
Yep.

And the sad thing is this: these idiots who believe in religion?

Are the ones the easiest to fool-- all the bought-and-paid-for politician has to do, to get the support of the religious, is to spout religious platitudes as loudly as is needed.

And the stupid and gullible (religious) suck that up like it was chocolate pudding... and vote the bought-and-paid-for back into office again and again.

... meh.
IPSEC

Bedford, TX

#224253 Apr 13, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
The crimes of atheism gave us Auschwitz, the Gulags, Nazi gas chambers, Cambodia's Killing Fields, Mao's "great leap forward" which killed 45 million in 4 years,...the list goes on.
Atheist fingers are too bloody to go pointing at someone else.
Once again, Hitler? A Christian. He banned and burned Darwin. Gott mitt Uns!

None of those people were killed for atheism, anyway. You wouldn't know the truth if it buggered you in the rear in prison. Those other men were strong men, Pharoahs, Dear Leaders. The only difference between them and the Dear Sky Leader is that they were real and falsifiable.
IPSEC

Bedford, TX

#224254 Apr 13, 2014
number four wrote:
<quoted text>..you heathens are so unhinged , you can't see reality ....parochial schools , offer some of the very best of educations ...
Yes, some parochial schools offer very good educations, but that is not an across-the-board phenomenon. Parental involvement and a good curriculum are the two common factors that determine the quality of education in any school. Unfortunately, the lion's share of parochial schools fail in science education.

Since: May 12

Las Vegas, NV

#224255 Apr 13, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Your head is only a organism away from the truth.
Don't lose your head in finding out the truth.
..speak English ..
IPSEC

Bedford, TX

#224256 Apr 13, 2014
number four wrote:
<quoted text>..you heathens are so unhinged , you can't see reality ....parochial schools , offer some of the very best of educations ...
You call those that disagree with you heathens, as though they are somehow inferior to you. This proves that Christianity is nothing more than self-worship, an army of one, with a god created in your own image that, uncuriously, shares all your likes and dislikes like the back of a Playboy centerfold. It really s nothing more than mild mental illness that sometimes manifests as severe.

Why would you consider your life as just some kind of warm up act for a demonstrably false afterlife? How sad is that? Why do you think those who disagree with your specific theology are worthy of eternal torture, or as certain sects have evolved, of annihilation? You are displaying nothing more than your ego and id. You certainly have offered nothing of substance or even simple moral guidance. Fear of divine retribution from an ever-changing code of laws composed by fiat by an imaginary entity and interpreted by thieves and charlatans is just remarkably silly.
IPSEC

Bedford, TX

#224257 Apr 13, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
That's very true. I've posted links several times offering evidence that Christian schools produce far more intelligent graduates than secular, state funded schools.
They choose to ignore that, they always do.
Such a generalization is guaranteed to be patently false. There are high-performing and under-performing schools in both scenarios. Intelligence is not produced. Knowledge is produced. Intelligence exists in everyone without specific developmental disabilities. You can't even articulate your point correctly.

Shall we discuss hyphenated modifiers and independent clauses as related to your post above, or, is your "intelligence production line" on permanent hiatus?

Las Vegas, NV

#224258 Apr 13, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah. And they waste a lot of time and talent on mythology.
I met a young lady who earned her degree in early childhood education who was shocked when I mentioned that Sarah Palin believed the earth was 6000 years old.
And she wasn't shocked that Palin believed that. She was shocked to learn that the earth was over 4 billion years old.
..I'm not embarrassed ..In fact the Churches official position is that we are free to believe in the 6 day creation myth or not ..

It does not affect your intelligence quotient , nor job performance ( so long as that job isn't anthropology )
IPSEC

Bedford, TX

#224259 Apr 13, 2014
number four wrote:
<quoted text>...What I found truly horrifying , is how often ' Jesus'..'Jesus Christ'..'Goddamn'..names explicitly forbidden , fall from Atheists lips ...
I don't subscribe to Norse mythology ....never , have I uttered " Odins balls " when under duress ...
It's funny that you should fixate on testicles. You must be a. Christian. G*ddamn is actually a generic term and would apply to Odin and his hodensack.

It's cultural, you nitwit. Language, like life, is evolutionary. This culture is steeped in your mythology. You really can't be this dumb. You're just playing the thread, right?
IPSEC

Bedford, TX

#224260 Apr 13, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Even though scientists can't find the "switched-off" genes that control dinosaur-like traits?
Huh...
If ignorance is bliss, you'd be much happier.
IPSEC

Bedford, TX

#224261 Apr 13, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Even though Christianity opened America's most prestigious and sought-after universities?
Hmmm.....
Because they had the money. Notice those universities are what you would consider bastions of liberalism and aren't Bible-study mills.

Las Vegas, NV

#224262 Apr 13, 2014
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
I type very fast-- it took me, what? 10 minutes to rebut the HateTheist.
His hate is worthy of rebuttal.
You?
You are simply ignorant.
...Well...?.....YOU'RE LUCKY I DON'T KNOW WHAT " IGNORANT " MEANS .....!!
IPSEC

Bedford, TX

#224263 Apr 13, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
HahahahahahahahaaaaAAAA!!!!!
"Headaches come from sin"
You, m'lady, are a fuckinglunatic.
Uh, that is a belief in many sexts and schisms of your hate cult, knucklehead. That you don't notice her sarcasm is your ignorance abounding.

http://www.demonbuster.com/spiritu4.html

http://www.writtentreasures.org/html/headache...

http://www.bloodlines.co.za/Articles-Spiritua...

http://www.thoughts-about-god.com/meditating/...

http://www.masterandmargarita.eu/archieven/si...
IPSEC

Bedford, TX

#224264 Apr 13, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Uh-huh....
So we can believe whatever we want to believe so long as we follow your instructions about where we can't impose our beliefs.
Hypocrite
You do realize that those laws that percent ecumenical teaching in the public sphere protect you as well, right?

Unless, of course, you want your children bowing to Mecca every day in school.

Idiot.
IPSEC

Bedford, TX

#224265 Apr 13, 2014
number four wrote:
<quoted text>....look , I'm just sayin' it doesn't hurt to shop around ...
and , as for prostitutes .....so , long as they aren't from Thailand ; you're golden ..
( Thailand is a strange and exotic local , the girls there tend to have penises ...)
You just got hard, didn't you?

Las Vegas, NV

#224266 Apr 13, 2014
IPSEC wrote:
<quoted text>It's funny that you should fixate on testicles. You must be a. Christian. G*ddamn is actually a generic term and would apply to Odin and his hodensack.
It's cultural, you nitwit. Language, like life, is evolutionary. This culture is steeped in your mythology. You really can't be this dumb. You're just playing the thread, right?
...do , you really think I'm smart ..??....thank-you.."IPSEC " that's the nicest thing anyone has ever wrote about me ...

I found nothing wrong with this post .....but , I'm sticking to my guns , Is there an Atheist alive that would choose the words "doggone" "heaven" "bejesus" "darn" .....I say no .
IPSEC

Bedford, TX

#224267 Apr 13, 2014
number four wrote:
<quoted text>...There have been ideologies , that have persecuted Christians , these countries are so repugnant that they had to build walls to keep their populations from escaping ...
It's seem you and your ilk ...would destroy our future..
The number one source of Christian persecution was from other Christians. The Puritans escaped England because they were not allowed to impose their brand on other Christians. They came to the New World and continued their persecution. All the sects outside of the Quakers, Amish and Mennonites did. Christian on Christian crime and murder was rampant in the Colonies outside of Smith's Rhode Island and Penn's Pennsylvania.

The Danbury Baptists were actually the impetus for the First Amendment, a law which actually allowed Christianity to flourish in this country. No one wants to be told how or what to worship, as god belief is nothing more than an extension of the ego. If there were an official state religion in America, Christianity would have died off as it has in Europe. If an official religion were imposed here now, the resultant religious war would be the bloodiest conflict in history. After all, which of the 40,000 sects and schisms of Christianity would be imposed?

Las Vegas, NV

#224268 Apr 13, 2014
IPSEC wrote:
<quoted text>You just got hard, didn't you?
...whoa...I'm sure you're a nice guy ....but , one of has the wrong kind of plumbing ....Is it okay if we just remain friends ..?
IPSEC

Bedford, TX

#224269 Apr 13, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You know, we know. You've created your own deity that fits your own personal ideals.
That's insane. You're insane.
So have you.

Las Vegas, NV

#224270 Apr 13, 2014
IPSEC wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, some parochial schools offer very good educations, but that is not an across-the-board phenomenon. Parental involvement and a good curriculum are the two common factors that determine the quality of education in any school. Unfortunately, the lion's share of parochial schools fail in science education.
...fair enough ...

But , the point I wished to make " believers aren't anti-education , we actually excel at it . "

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 5 min waaasssuuup 589,269
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 10 min It aint necessari... 836,912
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 11 min waaasssuuup 4,060
Women Drivers (Apr '08) 12 min Women are mean 19
Israel End is Near 16 min Someone 106
4 word game (use same Letter) (Mar '13) 37 min -TheExam- 1,423
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 38 min Clearwater 176,746
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 1 hr Porkpie Hat 271,244
More from around the web