Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 255568 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#223031 Apr 4, 2014
NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>
You misunderstood. Constitutional law as interpreted by the Supreme Court forbids school officials from promoting religion or leading prayers, but it also protects the rights of students to practice their faiths during school hours as long as it doesn't interfere with school activities or impinge on the rights of other students. Disruptive behavior is governed by school policy, the religious rights of the students by constitutional law. Which one applies depends on the situation.
The conversation, then, involves both constitutional law and school policy. There's no "switch," only a view that encompasses both and applies each where appropriate.
Well no actually, the US Constitution does not prohibit teachers or school officials from promoting religion, it only prohibits Congress from establishing a national religion.

There are school policies about disruption in class, and I could honestly see how a prayer could be seen as a disruption. But I could also see how texting or shuffling cards or farting could be disruptive. None of those following the guidelines of the US Constitution.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#223032 Apr 4, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
Or maybe you just don't know.
Or maybe he's gay.
Nope. I know my son, you don't. You're just trying to piss me off, I already told you that you can't.

Just give it up.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#223033 Apr 4, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>Nope. I know my son, you don't. You're just trying to piss me off, I already told you that you can't.

Just give it up.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Oh.

Yup were being serious.

“True Blue”

Since: Jun 13

Opal-Hearted Land

#223034 Apr 4, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
In my old church, it was always the individual that was responsible for their own actions. It was always the individual that took the blame, whether they listened to God's advice whether they listened to the devil's tricks.
I've always been taught, and I've always agreed, that every action we make is of our own doing and we all bear full responsibility for our actions, whether they're good or bad.
That's nice. But it wasn't my experience.

“True Blue”

Opal-Hearted Land

#223035 Apr 4, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep and perpetrated by heterosexual males, in the majority that is.
Some heterosexual females are quite foul as well but they mostly just let their little girls get raped.
I like that our country provides for down and out single mums, they don't need to be that desperate for a man.
Yeah, it's sick. Let the boys inside deal with the scumbag, I've been told exactly HOW.

I would really enjoy teaching the dumb slut mother a lesson.

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

#223036 Apr 4, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Well no actually, the US Constitution does not prohibit teachers or school officials from promoting religion, it only prohibits Congress from establishing a national religion.
There are school policies about disruption in class, and I could honestly see how a prayer could be seen as a disruption. But I could also see how texting or shuffling cards or farting could be disruptive. None of those following the guidelines of the US Constitution.
I wrote, "the Constitution "AS INTERPRETED BY THE SUPREME COURT," not just "the Constitution." Texting, shuffling cards, and farting require no exceptions because they are not constitutionally protected activities. Praying is.

Are you twisting logic deliberately just to get my goat or are you really that thick-headed?

“True Blue”

Opal-Hearted Land

#223037 Apr 4, 2014
number four wrote:
<quoted text>...cool...You responded ..to my post ....smile emoticon ...
I've been thinking about you ...why , did ....the powers ....turn ...
So , brutal ...against ..homosexuals ...every religion ...?
what do you think happened ....from "Classical " .....to...." Hellenistic " .....why , the sea change ...???
Not EVERY religion.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ganymede_%28myth...

You can see why the Ancient Greeks were so accepting, when even their head god did it.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#223038 Apr 4, 2014
NightSerf wrote:
I wrote, "the Constitution "AS INTERPRETED BY THE SUPREME COURT," not just "the Constitution." Texting, shuffling cards, and farting require no exceptions because they are not constitutionally protected activities. Praying is.
Are you twisting logic deliberately just to get my goat or are you really that thick-headed?
I'm a little bit thickheaded, yes.

The Supreme Court also ruled that a corporation is an individual, neat huh?

I really don't give a shit what the Supreme Court rules when it goes against what our Constitution says. There is nothing in the Constitution that says a school board or schoolteacher cannot pray in class or cannot have a prayer over the PA system. The Constitution only refers to Congress in that it cannot enact a national religion.

“True Blue”

Opal-Hearted Land

#223040 Apr 4, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
You know I was always under the impression that christianity was meant to be an honest and original religion and had nothing to do with stealing ideas from other beliefs – LOL
It’s as though Horus and Atun and the Tanakh and Yule and Eostra and Saturnalia etc never existed
Kind of weird that that it should adopt the Greek scapegoat idea to avoid having to apportion blame on their god for the bad bits.
Yeah, they're such original thinkers. LOL

“True Blue”

Opal-Hearted Land

#223041 Apr 4, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
So you have no response to fact and logic, thank you for being so honest.
And no we see why you have no responbem you talk utter bollocks and your self delusion is noted.
Eostre was the Pagan goddess of fertility and celebrated with feasting at the start of new growth.
The Venerable Bede,(672-735 CE), a Christian scholar, first asserted in his book De Ratione Temporum that Easter was named after Eostre (a.k.a. Eastre). She was the Great Mother Goddess of the Saxon people in Northern Europe. Similarly, the "Teutonic dawn goddess of fertility [was] known variously as Ostare, Ostara, Ostern, Eostra, Eostre, Eostur, Eastra, Eastur, Austron and Ausos." Her name was derived from the ancient word for spring: "eastre."
http://www.religioustolerance.org/easter1.htm
And I am pretty sure that Bede new a whole lot more about christianity then you ever will.
Very interesting thanks.

I always thought Easter came from the Babylonian goddess Ishtar aka Inanna. The eggs and bunnies are symbols of fertility.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ishtar

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

#223042 Apr 4, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm a little bit thickheaded, yes.
The Supreme Court also ruled that a corporation is an individual, neat huh?
I really don't give a shit what the Supreme Court rules when it goes against what our Constitution says. There is nothing in the Constitution that says a school board or schoolteacher cannot pray in class or cannot have a prayer over the PA system. The Constitution only refers to Congress in that it cannot enact a national religion.
I can understand that, but when you respond to a post, you should respond to what is written. I disagree with some of the Court's decisions, too, the idea that a corporation can be treated as a person under the law being a case in point. But when we're talking about legal requirements that affect people and organizations, our personal opinions don't apply as much as the rulings of whatever courts have jurisdiction. When it comes to constitutional law as it affects real people, Supreme Court decisions are the final word unless and until a later Court decides differently.

In most conversations and debates, arguments from authority are logical fallacies. One exception to that rule is when the subject is constitutional law and the authority is the Supreme Court. We're all entitled to our opinions, of course, but only theirs carries the ultimate force of law.
IPSEC

Arlington, TX

#223043 Apr 4, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm proud of him for that. He shows an ability to hold his temptations better than anyone I've ever known.
Of course someone like you would probably be proud of their child having sex at 13.... "Good boy, mini-IPSEC!"
The joke sailed right over your pointed head and then you told a lie about me. Typical Christian liar.
IPSEC

Arlington, TX

#223044 Apr 4, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You're wrong, it's not Texas.
And why are you stuck on teaching abstinence?
It is Texas and because states are doing it and it is failing.
IPSEC

Haslet, TX

#223045 Apr 4, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Wtf? You too?
Please quote me saying anything similar to that.
I double dog dare you.
You weren't clear because I interpreted it that way as well
IPSEC

Arlington, TX

#223046 Apr 4, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Satan and his gang may not find God compelling but certainly found he was capable of propelling their hind end into the abyss.
I bet they all have a cowboy boot imprint on their a**.
Nope. If Heaven is without sin, then it would have been nothing the boot scooting could have addressed, and, couple that with Satan having evidential knowledge of the Jesus character and all you are left with is a silly, childishly illogical conundrum.

And thank you for proving, once again, that no Christian will address that illogic and will only deflect.
IPSEC

Arlington, TX

#223047 Apr 4, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
My Dear father was an Atheist. Hard core Atheist nearly all of his adult life. He was always trying to convert me to Atheism. When he was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer he remained an Atheist.
Until he had a life changing event six months before he died. I won’t go into the details other than he left Atheism and had the proof he needed.
It’s like treasure hunting in a way. If you never go treasure hunting you will never find treasure. Some professional treasure hunters go years without a find but they keep searching. Until that one day they find a sunken 18th century ship laden with gold & silver.
Most Atheist want someone to bring them proof. If you never go on the hunt you never reap the bounty,
The BS is strong with you.
IPSEC

Arlington, TX

#223048 Apr 4, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Children don't enjoy the same benefits as adults. For example, I don't have a bedtime, they do.
What about that court-mandated curfew. Wait. I wrote mandate. I hope that doesn't make any Christians turgid.
IPSEC

Arlington, TX

#223049 Apr 4, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
That is correct.
Love is conditional.
I don't believe that unconditional love exists.
Yet you believe in Invisible Dear Leader. Aren't you supposed to love that character unconditionally? Oh, wait, that's right, it's a love-reward scenario for dummies.
IPSEC

Arlington, TX

#223050 Apr 4, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess for you since you are on his team.
Team? The character is a figure of your imagination. Oh, you silly, self-worshipping Christian. "You don't agree with me. You are on the side of evil". Blah, blah, blah, nonsense.

“Game Over”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#223051 Apr 4, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I do teach my boys about safe sex, all the time. I remind them over and over again, ad nauseam, about the repercussions of unsafe and irresponsible sex.
If you've read my posts about this, you'd know that.
Good because there's nothing a teenager likes more than talking about sex with their parents. My parents are doctors so they explained sex to me in a matter of fact manner when I was 13. I listened intently and when they were done they said, "Do you have any questions?"

I said, "Just one. You do know I'm gay, right?"

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 8 min Annaleigh 105,693
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 12 min guest 647,082
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 50 min The Hangman 971,830
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 1 hr Doctor Peace 49,687
*** All Time Favorite Songs *** (Dec '10) 1 hr Classic 3,689
How can I talk my wife into a 3 way with anothe... (Apr '08) 1 hr This worked for me 162
Play "end of the word" part 2 (Dec '15) 1 hr Aussie Kev 2,117
topix drops human sexuality forum.......this be... 13 hr Jockfullonutz 28
More from around the web