Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 245183 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#222054 Mar 28, 2014
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>I was indoctrinated against my will, as a baby, to belong to the cult that is Genuine Christianity™.

I remained brainwashed in that cult for most of my life, finally able to set myself free from the brain-damage that is faith, by simply reading the **whole** bible, and not just the pretty bits (as you no doubt do).

Once I realized how incredibly ugly and evil the bible is? I also realized that no god who GAVE A DAMN would have permitted the ugly bible to even exist at all.

So, clearly, there is no such being.

If god exists? God does not care one bit about the collective fate of humanity.

The proof is the very existence of the bible, the quoran, the book of mormon, the <insert religious book here> ...
So what moral standard are you using to judge the bible with?

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#222055 Mar 28, 2014
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
"Gays and lesbians more popular than evangelical Christians" wilderide
"as it was in the days of Sodom so shall it be in the end" Jesus
put your seatbelts on folks cuz you're in for a wilderide!
Rapture away dude! Bye!

San Francisco

#222056 Mar 28, 2014
tricki wrote:
I was indoctrinated from an early age by people like Bob not to believe in God nor the bible and that religion is horrible and evil.
Bolagna! They are nuts. These narrow minded bigots deceive themselves into believing that they are the new intelligentsia. The best and the brightest. The intellectuals of our Times. Everything is beneath them. They alone have been chosen to proselytize the world into correct thinking. The mere mention of God is highly offensive to self-appointed preachers of no-god. They scream in subtle ways the hell, fire and stupidity of the average religious boob, who wastes his life contemplating how many angels could fit on the end of a pin.
UNTIL LIFE OVERWHELMS THEM AND THEN THEY CRY OUT TO THEIR GOD, ANY GOD WHO WILL LISTEN, HOW DESPERATELY THEY NEED HIS HELP. LIKE THE passengers on a doomed flight with 30 seconds of terror left to live. GOD becomes more important than all else in strides, beloved.
<quoted text>
So being indoctrinated is bad, and yet your religion asks you to do it to yourself and others.

You seem a mite confused there, tricki.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#222057 Mar 28, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
So at some undefined point someone who sins enough can never be saved anymore? They are hopeless, even if they reform and repent later? And regardless, when Paul says that people are saved by grace alone, he is wrong. So that is still a glaring error. Especially considering Paul then contradicts himself by insisting that women must be saved by faith and childbirth, which means women who are sterile are hopeless.
He actually doesn't say 'alone'

Just as Jesus says in the Good Samaritan that those that do this (love their neighbor) shall live. In that particular passage he doesn't add they also must believe in God. But he makes that clear repeatedly in other places.

You have to look at scripture as a whole. People aren't going to repeat every thing, every time they say something. You look at all the teachings combined to get the full message

I have no idea why Paul says that about child rearing. Although that is after sinning but in Galatians it is made clear that salvation is the same be it man or woman, Jew or Gentile

There are a few exceptions where I have no explanation for the seemingly apparent contradiction. I have brought this one up myself. I have no idea what Paul is talking about. The authors were inspired to write and had the autonomy to do so which is why sometimes you see some things reflecting more of a personal perspective. He never claims Jesus taught this. Personally I think Paul wasn't a big fan of women.

I am honest when it comes to how I interpret things. As best as I can be anyway. This is just what it looks like IMO. Something that really shouldn't be. But in hundreds of thousands of verses you get a fee that leave you scratching your head. I always defer to the teachings of Christ if there is even a question

Location hidden

#222058 Mar 28, 2014
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
So what moral standard are you using to judge the bible with?
Ugh...its back.
tricki

Birdsboro, PA

#222059 Mar 28, 2014
once again,
TEST ONE
The person who thinks the Coca Cola can had no designer is:
___ A. Intelligent
___ B. A fool
___ C. Has an ulterior motive for denying the obvious

comfort r

ok. here's the test they can't answer. pretty brutal, i know.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#222060 Mar 28, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>And you basis for claiming children are exposed to this teaching at a young age is what again?

I understand why you are claiming its a threat. I'm asking you to support your claim it is being used to scare children when I have never seen any Christian organization get into what would be considered more adult themed aspects of the ideology with children. So naturally I'm curious as to why you make the claim as if this is not only wide-spread but common.

I think to the degree it happens would be essentially an aberration and made as a poor parental decision than one made by the faith. Have you witnessed or learned something that would contradict that? Where did you even get the idea it was taught to children? Do you think they also go over adultery and murder with children? By your rationale the U.S. penal system is used the same way to scare little kids. If people dont bother to wait on adult topics with children
Um...it was taught to me.

Right from the start.

San Francisco

#222061 Mar 28, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>The good thing for you I guess is that you don't understand the scripture you also don't know or follow or believe
:)
He doesn't either. I have no idea why he calls himself a Christian. He must be one of those who believes he will be saved by faith and that works are unnecessary. Believing certainly hasn't made him Christ-like.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#222062 Mar 28, 2014
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>Ugh...its back.
You remembered me.:-)

Location hidden

#222063 Mar 28, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't see how it's all that simple considering how many differing viewpoints there are in Christianity, even on the very basic points such as how one is saved. In researching "sola fide" on Wikipedia (the concept of being saved by faith alone) I was reading what this person thought, and what Martin Luther said, etc etc etc, and it was really clear to me that Christians themselves are very confused about the Bible, so how likely is it that this book was inspired by a deity?
People can make anything complicated.

But really it boils down to the two greatest commandments. Those two are very simple

And some things are more complicated. But they also are nearly as crucial, even though it helps to know them. But if someone lived by nothing other than love God and love their neighbor they would basically be fine. The rest is more about instruction and example and history.

There are people who decide they don't need to know all the Bible because they have made the two greatest commandments the driving force behind their life. I learn more because I like learning it and because I struggle mightily sometimes with the second greatest commandment. But really the only people I feel really better know it are the ones who try to use it as a club to beat others with. Then again, if they did know it, they should know that contradicts it.

I guess my main point is though that what you must know is simple. As for the rest, people can delve in as much as they are personally moved to. It dies get more advanced to learn. But the simple parts are enough to get by. I know people who probably don't know 50 verses and are some if the nicest, most loving, dedicated Christians I know. Learning the Bible and living the Bible are two very different things. And what you need to know to live it is pretty simple

Location hidden

#222064 Mar 28, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Um...it was taught to me.
Right from the start.
Then I think that was a poor choice by whoever did it and it doesn't surprise me you left the faith

But I don't think its a common practice

Unfortunately, you were one of the people it happened to

San Francisco

#222065 Mar 28, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>He actually doesn't say 'alone'
Just as Jesus says in the Good Samaritan that those that do this (love their neighbor) shall live. In that particular passage he doesn't add they also must believe in God. But he makes that clear repeatedly in other places.
You have to look at scripture as a whole. People aren't going to repeat every thing, every time they say something. You look at all the teachings combined to get the full message
I have no idea why Paul says that about child rearing. Although that is after sinning but in Galatians it is made clear that salvation is the same be it man or woman, Jew or Gentile
There are a few exceptions where I have no explanation for the seemingly apparent contradiction. I have brought this one up myself. I have no idea what Paul is talking about. The authors were inspired to write and had the autonomy to do so which is why sometimes you see some things reflecting more of a personal perspective. He never claims Jesus taught this. Personally I think Paul wasn't a big fan of women.
I am honest when it comes to how I interpret things. As best as I can be anyway. This is just what it looks like IMO. Something that really shouldn't be. But in hundreds of thousands of verses you get a fee that leave you scratching your head. I always defer to the teachings of Christ if there is even a question
So if the Bible says something that you don't understand or like, then just ignore it? Paul says women must give birth to be saved. That's pretty ridiculous I agree, but that's what it says. I agree that Paul was a misogynist. Actually, he was pretty loathsome all-around, and as you implied previously he also arguably contradicted alot of things Jesus said too. So do we just cherry-pick what Paul said? Or maybe we do like some other "red letter" Christians sects do and just focus on what Jesus said? Here is my advice: don't take an ancient book of collected documents of dubious provenance quite so seriously. Just be nice to other people and live a decent life. If any God would send you to hell for that, then that God is not worth veneration anyway.

San Francisco

#222066 Mar 28, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>People can make anything complicated.
But really it boils down to the two greatest commandments. Those two are very simple
And some things are more complicated. But they also are nearly as crucial, even though it helps to know them. But if someone lived by nothing other than love God and love their neighbor they would basically be fine. The rest is more about instruction and example and history.
There are people who decide they don't need to know all the Bible because they have made the two greatest commandments the driving force behind their life. I learn more because I like learning it and because I struggle mightily sometimes with the second greatest commandment. But really the only people I feel really better know it are the ones who try to use it as a club to beat others with. Then again, if they did know it, they should know that contradicts it.
I guess my main point is though that what you must know is simple. As for the rest, people can delve in as much as they are personally moved to. It dies get more advanced to learn. But the simple parts are enough to get by. I know people who probably don't know 50 verses and are some if the nicest, most loving, dedicated Christians I know. Learning the Bible and living the Bible are two very different things. And what you need to know to live it is pretty simple
I think we agree more than disagree. But as I said before, live a moral life and don't worry about it. I don't see why God needs our love or even acknowledgement. Hopefully the universe wasn't created by Tinkerbelle..

Location hidden

#222067 Mar 28, 2014
Edit Wilde

Also should add people are saved through grace alone. But the reasons God will save them with his grace is if they are obedient and faithful until the end

Also grace sometimes is being distinguished from works of law. Works of law is the Pharisees who thought simply by following the law they could be saved, even without belief
tricki

Birdsboro, PA

#222068 Mar 28, 2014
wilderide wrote:
So at some undefined point someone who sins enough can never be saved anymore? They are hopeless, even if they reform and repent later? And regardless, when Paul says that people are saved by grace alone, he is wrong. So that is still a glaring error. Especially considering Paul then contradicts himself by insisting that women must be saved by faith and childbirth, which means women who are sterile are hopeless.

golly, what would be the limit? my my.

wildebeest does not present this faux dilemma cause she thinks it can't be clarified. she, once again, is running from the simple atheist test. i promised to answer all her most confounding questions
tricki

Birdsboro, PA

#222069 Mar 28, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
So if the Bible says something that you don't understand or like, then just ignore it? Paul says women must give birth to be saved. That's pretty ridiculous I agree, but that's what it says. I agree that Paul was a misogynist. Actually, he was pretty loathsome all-around, and as you implied previously he also arguably contradicted alot of things Jesus said too. So do we just cherry-pick what Paul said? Or maybe we do like some other "red letter" Christians sects do and just focus on what Jesus said? Here is my advice: don't take an ancient book of collected documents of dubious provenance quite so seriously. Just be nice to other people and live a decent life. If any God would send you to hell for that, then that God is not worth veneration anyway.
if a man will not work,
neither shall he eat

Location hidden

#222070 Mar 28, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow

Are you this difficult to get along with in real life?

I said out of hundreds of thousands of verses there are a couple I have trouble understanding because they seem to contradict. In those very rare instances I always defer to the teachings of Jesus as there are no verses that he taught that I have any trouble understanding and it is right from Jesus direct.

If you consider that igniting verses and cherry picking I don't know what to tell you. And since I can't have children not sure how I'd follow it anyway!

I have noticed your pattern of even when someone bends over backwards to concede something in the spirit of honesty and sincere debate instead if bring gracious about it you use is as an opportunity to be a douchebag

Location hidden

#222071 Mar 28, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Hopefully the universe wasn't created by Tinkerbelle..
You must be a blast at parties

I think we are done again

Nobody can say I haven't repeatedly tried
tricki

Birdsboro, PA

#222072 Mar 28, 2014
bob the lying, bratty boob

"I remained brainwashed in that cult for most of my life"

did they shoot your dog? and commit suicide? did you attend that awful church wearing a dress? aradia religitarded, is that you?

Location hidden

#222073 Mar 28, 2014
tricki wrote:
<quoted text>
if a man will not work,
neither shall he eat
Thats true

Although keep in mind when applying that verse that the circumstances were work was available and people were capable of doing it but instead basically tried to steal the wages in terms of food that was paid to those who did the work

I have no idea how you apply it as I don't know you but I have seen some use it to justify not helping the poor and hungry without even looking into how they became that way

(T) Peace

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 4 min Stilgar Fifrawi 865,781
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 6 min Antique Annie 612,923
The Christian Atheist debate 8 min Truthiness 2,066
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 12 min RiccardoFire 40,899
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 14 min RiccardoFire 6,555
News Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 1 hr Cheer the f up 121,926
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 1 hr kent 600,156
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 1 hr justdoit2it 272,433
Sleeping with mother (Oct '13) Sun andy 45
More from around the web