Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Jul 18, 2009 Read more: Webbunny tumblelog 237,766
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Read more

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#221962 Mar 28, 2014
oops peanuts

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#221963 Mar 28, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>It might be time to reconsider.

Professor Lewontin:

"... because we have a prior commitment, a commitment to materialism."

Professor Michael Ruse, evolutionist, professor of philosophy and zoology at the University of Guelph, Canada, key witness in 1982 Arkansas trial on "balanced treatment bill":

‘Evolution is promoted by its practitioners as more than mere science. Evolution is promulgated as an ideology, a secular religion—a full-fledged alternative to Christianity, with meaning and morality. I am an ardent evolutionist and an ex-Christian, but I must admit that in this one complaint—and Mr. Gish is but one of many to make it—the literalists are absolutely right. Evolution is a religion. This was true of evolution in the beginning, and it is true of evolution still today."

Professor Thomas Nagel:

"I want atheism to be true and am made uneasy by the fact that some of the most intelligent and well-informed people I know are religious believers. It isn’t just that I don’t believe in God and, naturally, hope that I’m right in my belief. It’s that I hope there is no God! I don’t want there to be a God; I don’t want the universe to be like that. My guess is that this cosmic authority problem is not a rare condition and that it is responsible for much of the scientism and reductionism of our time. One of the tendencies it supports is the ludicrous overuse of evolutionary biology to explain everything about human life, including everything about the human mind …. This is a somewhat ridiculous situation …. It is just as irrational to be influenced in one’s beliefs by the hope that God does not exist as by the hope that God does exist.”

American Atheists, Webmaster:

“Atheists are NOT ‘secular humanists’,‘freethinkers’, rationalists’ or ‘ethical culturalists’… Often, people who are Atheists find it useful to masquerade behind such labels."
All ID proponents masquerading as Christians.

How do you like it?

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#221964 Mar 28, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Theres no proof to You that God created anything.
Because You dont want to see or hear any proof.
You are defiant. Thats ok to me if you want to blatantly refuse to believe.
My life doesnt center around You.
Your life centers around You.
So Your decision doesnt stop me from what I know is true.
And I dont have to prove anything to You.
Because my life doesnt center around You.
Believe as you wish. Not my problem.
Riiight.

"If you would just believe already, we could show you the proof that god exists!"

If you think that many, many atheists haven't genuinely sought proof of a god's existence, you're being a disingenuous liar.

“ Knight Of Hyrule”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#221965 Mar 28, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Nothing you describe here qualifies as atheism. Atheism is not the absence of anything. It is the presence of a belief.
Atheism, from the Greek a-theos ("no-god"), is the philosophical position that God doesn't exist. It is distinguished from agnosticism, the argument that it is impossible to know whether God exists or not (Academic American Encyclopedia).
Atheism, system of thought developed around the denial of God's existence. Atheism, so defined, first appeared during the Enlightenment, the age of reason (Random House Encyclopedia).
Atheism is the doctrine that there is no God.(Oxford Companion to Philosophy).
Atheism (Greek, a-[private prefix]+ theos, god) is the view that there is no divine being, no God (Dictionary of Philosophy, Thomas Mautner, Editor).
You done dug up that dead horse again? I know it's an infinite dead horse beating!
tricki

Birdsboro, PA

#221966 Mar 28, 2014
when god directed his people to destroy utterly his enemies, he had good reasons.

god didn't kill a single child during Passover, FOOL. Pharaoh did. Your hatred for the christian god you don't believe in, has nothing to do with all the reasons you state, honey.

you are not god, my love, and you never will be and that's what drives you batty, just like your papa.

everyone hates you, for many good reasons.

you too amalgam, aradia krazi
tricki

Birdsboro, PA

#221967 Mar 28, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
You done dug up that dead horse again? I know it's an infinite dead horse beating!
thanks for running from those simple tests. just as i said. how about me!
tricki

Birdsboro, PA

#221968 Mar 28, 2014
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
Riiight.
"If you would just believe already, we could show you the proof that god exists!"
If you think that many, many atheists haven't genuinely sought proof of a god's existence, you're being a disingenuous liar.
if that was true, he'd be found. you lie, not him, sweetheart. you believe hitler, don't forget

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#221970 Mar 28, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
More butt crack bull sh|t?
Just because you were beaten by three popes to one archbishop is no need to hold a grudge, just man up and accept your beating.
You're an idiot. The Popes and Archbishop agree. They accept that evolution occurs, but not Darwinist theory of evolution.

The only confusion is with you and people like you who try to make the Pope's statement mean something it doesn't.

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#221971 Mar 28, 2014
tricki wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you still eat your feces ?
Yes or no ?

Simple test.

“Love much, trust none”

There

#221972 Mar 28, 2014
"Deceit, ignorance, hate, egotism, theft, murder and lunacy; these are the rotting fruits of Christianity"

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#221973 Mar 28, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
You know, they are fooling us, there is no God- was claimed to have been spoken by a teenaged Stalin to a fellow student while studying to become a priest in the Russian Orthodox Church and was quoted in Landmarks in the Life of Stalin by Yemelyan Yaroslavsky
I am not sating that Stalin never said those words, I am saying that the account is second hand and if it was made was made by a teenager.
God's not unjust, he doesn't actually exist. We've been deceived. If God existed, he'd have made the world more just... was claimed in 2007 in the book Young Stalin (2007) by Simon Sebag Montefiore
This was penned more than 50 years after his death, hindsight is a wonderful device for earning royalties dont you think?
Again it may be factual, it may not, we have no independent evidence either way. However there is considerable evidence that he was on the committee to reinstate the church infrastructure and because of him 25000 churches were re-opened.
Now consider that people say things, you have threatened to kill me yet you claim you did no mean it after the fact. You have claimed a great many things during our association only to backtrack or contradict sometime later. Now I do not know how old you are and I dont really care, but I do find it odd that you can brand a person for life because of something he may have said as a teenager.
How many people would a guy have to kill or torture in pursuit of building a totally atheist nation for you to consider him atheist?

How many historians would have to chronicle his atheism for you to believe he was atheist?

I can't lower myself to argue this with you any more. You're nuts. I'm done with it.

“ Knight Of Hyrule”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#221974 Mar 28, 2014
tricki wrote:
<quoted text>
You're still a buffoon, no test require...you have demonstrated it.

“Love much, trust none”

There

#221975 Mar 28, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
You're an idiot. The Popes and Archbishop agree. They accept that evolution occurs, but not Darwinist theory of evolution.....
WTF ?

"They believe in evolution but not evolution." - Buckie

Please explain what you are calling "Darwinist" and "Darwinism".

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#221976 Mar 28, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>??
LOL
Man if you are gonna drag around a resentment this long you should at least wait for a time you can get more bang for your buck
You sure showed me!
Just for giggles, what is the original issue I addresses you about that you have no joined the game on with this brilliant post? I have a feeling the comparison will make this even funnier
:)
i'm not holding any resentment, but just used this latest as an opportunity to contend for the faith. our original issue was that you contend for works/fulfilling the law/good deeds as the access to God's favor:-)

“let's do this thang!”

Location hidden

#221977 Mar 28, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Since you are the one who invented "gaytheist" doctrine it would actually be up to you to provide that information, not me. But I see what you are saying; it's a responsibility to back up claims with evidence, especially when you presume to proselytize for them, isn't it?
It's a pity Christianity is so down on being challenged. It could really benefit from learning more from science, which actually benefits from being challenged.
thanks for the acclaim, but i just merely put a finger on something and appropriately put 2 words/thoughts together:

Gaytheism = the idea that there is no god/everything came into being randomly and developed over gadzillions of years and homosexuality is more honorable than Christianity; hence Gaytheism!

now - defend your gaytheist position with facts and figures or forever hold your vile tongue!:-)

#221978 Mar 28, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
You're an idiot. The Popes and Archbishop agree. They accept that evolution occurs, but not Darwinist theory of evolution.
The only confusion is with you and people like you who try to make the Pope's statement mean something it doesn't.
Say what? Wow, you must live in you own private bucksworld. There is considerable disagreement between archbishops and popes, they are after all only people

Oh butt brain, I did not write 3 (thats THREE) statements as did 3,(thats THREE) different popes accepting evolution as compatible with the faith

While one archbishop (who you were wet to show off) disagrees.

“let's do this thang!”

Location hidden

#221979 Mar 28, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>Salvation is not based solely on obedience. It also requires faith.
Man could live a sinless life and still not be saved according to Christian ideology
I don't say this next part being smug but it is unlikely there will be many times you know the faith or Bible better than I do.
Scaritual found one time. Although I'm sure he'd admit he looked it up as I doubt he knew off-hand in obscure OT verse on slavery during one particular holy war. But regardless he was correct and I said as much. But in general ideology or basic doctrine its probably not going to happen. Just saying
you are COMPLETELY off in your doctrine and are NOT at all represetning the Truth of God!

allow me to break this down:

skom - "Salvation is not based solely on obedience. It also requires faith"

salvation is based soley on our faith in the obedience of Christ!

skom "Man could live a sinless life and still not be saved according to Christian ideology"

man is born a sinner and therefore cannot be sinless before God unless he gets regenerated in spirit/nature through the new birth!

now - either embrace these very basic tenants of the Christian faith or i'll continue to expose you as a wolf in sheeps clothing!

#221980 Mar 28, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
How many people would a guy have to kill or torture in pursuit of building a totally atheist nation for you to consider him atheist?
How many historians would have to chronicle his atheism for you to believe he was atheist?
I can't lower myself to argue this with you any more. You're nuts. I'm done with it.
Ask you god.

As yet you have not shown direct evidence of Stalins words, only hearsay written after the event. Where I have shown direct and incontrovertible evidence.

Good. Lets see what else turns up on the buck incredulity pages.

“let's do this thang!”

Location hidden

#221981 Mar 28, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Why not?
EVERYTHING about Jesus is contained in one single book. Not hard at all to become an expert.
Maybe YOU should try it.
do you realize how ridiculous you sound?

the heavens of heavens cannot completely contain the Person of Jesus/God so how on earth could He possibly be contained in a Book, glorious as the Bible is?

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Location hidden

#221982 Mar 28, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry buddy, I did not write the babble
So you are saying that what is written in the babble is a false premise and a combination of ignorance and hypocrisy?
Go figure
True, I do not consider your god worth the belief I would give to any myth but there are about 3.9 billion people of 3 religions who do believe that their god was responsible for the genocide of the vast majority of the creatures he is supposed to have created.
And that he murdered the first born male children of Egypt in a pique of spite
And that he condoned rape and slavery and murder and theft in his followers. You want verse numbers just ask but in truth I think you are already aware of the verses and choose to ignore them.
BTW, there is a considerable difference between the slaughter of animals for food, for survival and the slaughter of everything because of a temper.
Why?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 13 min Justice League 3,019
This ~ or ~ That? (game) (Dec '12) 15 min andet1987 1,783
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 17 min rbphoenix80 98,922
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 19 min nanoanomaly 826,483
Play "end of the word" (Jan '11) 21 min andet1987 5,774
God is REAL - Miracles Happen! (Jun '11) 25 min andet1987 5,810
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 26 min lil whispers 611,787
Why Im no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 34 min James 442,607
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 36 min USA Born 583,185
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 1 hr Freebird USA 176,430
More from around the web