Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#221789 Mar 27, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
That sounds nice, but I'm afraid it not Biblically supported. Not all living things were created in God's image according to the Bible, were they? No. Only the one which messed up the worst.
Actually, that's pretty funny when you think about it.
Excellent point !

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#221791 Mar 27, 2014
IPSEC wrote:
<quoted text>I'll concede your first point. I agree that the reasoning that you don't believe in other gods makes you an atheist, while under certain definitions may be the, is a non-starter. Historians differ on Stalin. Stalin did use the churches to further his hegemony, which, really, illustrates the danger of god belief more than anything else. And, he didn't kill in the name of Christianity or atheism, although they are not opposites. He killed to consolidate power. Many churches in history have done the same. The only distinction between Dear Leader told me to tell you to kill those guys and Dear Sky Leader told me to tell you to kill those guys is that the manipulation of Dear Sky Leader has the potential for more harm, hence Stalin's use of the churches to foment his plans.
Aside from the childish sarcasm, that was one of the most honest explanations of Stalin that I've seen from one of you atheists.

In a nutshell, during the first half of Stalin's reign he did everything he could to eradicate Christianity from his country. Then Hitler invaded. Stalin quickly realized that he could not beat the Nazis without the support of his people, his government just wasn't enough. So he allowed churches to reopen, he didn't reopen them himself as Christine alleges, but he did allow them to reopen. By doing so, his nation started to repolarize and he had the support of his people, then they beat the shit out of the Nazis.

So basically, Stalin was an atheist that allowed churches to be open.

Location hidden

#221792 Mar 27, 2014
IPSEC wrote:
<quoted text>You really didn't follow the links to their denouement, did you?
In the very first link:
Donate to this ministry. Cough, cough, can't have a church without a cash flow.
Who are the Wilsons? Funny, that link goes right to a donation page, too.
Oh, and there is a store!
From the last link:
Support the ministry!
What exactly is your pedantic definition of a church? Will this be the organ grinder monkey Riverdance again or will it be Rumsfeld's trained ape Riverdance? Face it, Christians are creepy and pretending these are not church affiliated, even as they ask for donations to their ministry, is just Erin' stupid, even for you. And that bar, is, sadly, unequivocally low.
I've never even heard of any of that nonsense until about an hour ago when I read your posts about it.

That should tell you that since I don't know about it, there are likely plenty of other Christians that don't know about it.

That should also tell you that your intolerant bias against Christians holds no water.
IPSEC

Fort Worth, TX

#221793 Mar 27, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Lewontin IS a recognized authority, and that's his argument.
The point being, it blows away the idea of a god-neutral system of science.
Lewintin is a Communist!
IPSEC

Fort Worth, TX

#221795 Mar 27, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Scientists employ faith in most all of their endeavors.
They have faith that systems will behave a particular way based on past experience, but their is no logical barrier to variation in that behavior. Further, scientific inquiry assumes there are answers to be found by the inquiry, and that those answers are important.
Equivocation fallacy. Trust based on evidence is not the same as religious faith, which is based on nothing but dogmatic brainwashing.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#221796 Mar 27, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
I like the way you put this. Permission to use it sometime?
I have remarked that I can't think of a more evil idea than original sin. Surely, if there is a god, he is as good as you and me, and we would not do that to our dog.
I'd be honored-
IPSEC

Fort Worth, TX

#221797 Mar 27, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Aside from the childish sarcasm, that was one of the most honest explanations of Stalin that I've seen from one of you atheists.
In a nutshell, during the first half of Stalin's reign he did everything he could to eradicate Christianity from his country. Then Hitler invaded. Stalin quickly realized that he could not beat the Nazis without the support of his people, his government just wasn't enough. So he allowed churches to reopen, he didn't reopen them himself as Christine alleges, but he did allow them to reopen. By doing so, his nation started to repolarize and he had the support of his people, then they beat the shit out of the Nazis.
I am nothing but honest. Just because you disagree with me does not make that so. To your last sentence, some historians would agree that you are only half correct.

I use childish sarcasm because I need to communicate at your level. If, for one minute, you are claiming that childish sarcasm is not in our wheelhouse, you are even more full of shite than I thought.

Evidence: "And dishwashers".

“Love much, trust none”

There

#221798 Mar 27, 2014
IPSEC wrote:
<quoted text>Lewintin is a Communist!
Then he must also be an atheist according to Buck and RR.

Location hidden

#221799 Mar 27, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
They certainly knew him better than you.
That was not Stalin, that was a second hand statement claimed by an 18 year old student about an 18 year old student
Why must you lie to earn your god points?
That quote was from a book, "Landmarks in the Life of Stalin" by E. Yaroslavsky in 1940. It was written during Stalin's hayday, and was designed to put him in a positive light.

From that book:

"At a very early age, while still a pupil in the ecclesiastical school, Comrade Stalin developed a critical mind and revolutionary sentiments. He began to read Darwin and became an atheist."

"I began to speak of God, Joseph heard me out, and after a moment's silence, said:

"'You know, they are fooling us, there is no God....'

"I was astonished at these words, I had never heard anything like it before.

"'How can you say such things, Soso?' I exclaimed.

"'I'll lend you a book to read; it will show you that the world and all living things are quite different from what you imagine, and all this talk about God is sheer nonsense,' Joseph said.

"'What book is that?' I enquired.

"'Darwin. You must read it,'

“Love much, trust none”

There

#221800 Mar 27, 2014
IPSEC wrote:
<quoted text>Equivocation fallacy. Trust based on evidence is not the same as religious faith, which is based on nothing but dogmatic brainwashing.
I was in the park and saw a man on his knees with bowed head snapping his fingers.
I asked him what he was doing.
"I am keeping the tigers from eating me", he replied.
I told him the nearest Tiger was in a cage in the zoo 30 miles away.
"See! It works!", he said.
IPSEC

Fort Worth, TX

#221801 Mar 27, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I've never even heard of any of that nonsense until about an hour ago when I read your posts about it.
That should tell you that since I don't know about it, there are likely plenty of other Christians that don't know about it.
That should also tell you that your intolerant bias against Christians holds no water.
I've heard of this for years. It's ubiquitous in the southern states. That you are ignorant of the practice is inconsequential. It exists. It is not biased to point out the practices of Christians that are disgusting, all in the name of Dear Leader. It is prescient and necessary. That you are not screaming from the rooftops to protest against such lunacy, and you first tried to Riverdance that there were no churches involved, twice, speaks to your bias.

I am intolerant of Christians. Your immoral dogma is demonstrably harmful to Society. Any thing that teaches that Earth is just a place to wipe your feet before the real action begins, without evidence, is inherently anti-human and immoral. Islam is worse, but, I am not in a country that is trying to make Islam part of our schools and government. Christians do so at their peril, as one day, their religion may not predominate. The reason Christianity has flourished in this country while it lags elsewhere is the First Amendment. 40,000 sects and schisms would fight a bloody war of dominance without it. It happened during the Colonies. It would happen again.
IPSEC

Fort Worth, TX

#221802 Mar 27, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
Then he must also be an atheist according to Buck and RR.
Yeah, well, I don't consider those two an authority on anything.

“Love much, trust none”

There

#221803 Mar 27, 2014
IPSEC wrote:
<quoted text>...some historians would agree that you are only half correct.......
This historian would agree that he is a half wit.

Location hidden

#221804 Mar 27, 2014
IPSEC wrote:
<quoted text>Yet you don't apply the same standards to Hitler with his declarations about Creator gods. Your football field looks ridiculous. There are goalposts all over the place.
Got mitt Uns! Oh, wait, you're an uneducated moron. Let me translate Hitler's German for you:
God is wif us.
In fact, let me translate this for you in its entirety:
Yet yo' doesn't apply th' same stan'ards t'Hitler wif his declareeshuns about Creato' gods. Yer football field looks ridiculous. Thar is goa'posts all on over th' place.
Got mitt Uns! Oh, wait, yer an unejoocayted mo'on, as enny fool kin plainly see. Let me translate Hitler's German fo' yo':
God is wif us.
Oh. Gott mitt uns means all the Nazis were Christian?

Then "So Help Me God" means that all US military people are Christian.
IPSEC

Fort Worth, TX

#221805 Mar 27, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
So, you're admitting that in your ignorance you tried to defend it by deflecting attention away from churches, even though it has the full support of the ministries involved? Shoot first, backpedal later. Good job!
IPSEC

Fort Worth, TX

#221807 Mar 27, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
There was no childish sarcasm in that post. There only equivocation between Dear Leader and Dear Sky Leader is that one is evidential and tangible. The one that is non-evidential and intangible is more dangerous. Any claim can, and has, been made about Its wants.

On one hand, we are told that Dear Sky Leader is so complex as to be beyond our understanding while on the other hand we have tens of thousands of churches and hundreds of politicians telling us every day what Dear Sky Leader wants. It boggles.

Location hidden

#221808 Mar 27, 2014
IPSEC wrote:
<quoted text>I've heard of this for years. It's ubiquitous in the southern states. That you are ignorant of the practice is inconsequential. It exists. It is not biased to point out the practices of Christians that are disgusting, all in the name of Dear Leader. It is prescient and necessary. That you are not screaming from the rooftops to protest against such lunacy, and you first tried to Riverdance that there were no churches involved, twice, speaks to your bias.
I am intolerant of Christians. Your immoral dogma is demonstrably harmful to Society. Any thing that teaches that Earth is just a place to wipe your feet before the real action begins, without evidence, is inherently anti-human and immoral. Islam is worse, but, I am not in a country that is trying to make Islam part of our schools and government. Christians do so at their peril, as one day, their religion may not predominate. The reason Christianity has flourished in this country while it lags elsewhere is the First Amendment. 40,000 sects and schisms would fight a bloody war of dominance without it. It happened during the Colonies. It would happen again.
I never claimed that no churches were involved, I asked you to list some churches or some Christians that were involved. A request you have yet to fulfill.

That I am ignorant of the daddy daughter kissing that happens in some churches should be very telling to you, as I am a Christian and have been for almost 4 decades. You act like all of Christianity, and all Christians, practice that. That's is biased as saying all Christians practice snake handling, or speaking in tongues, or praying instead of going to the doctor. That's not only biased and intolerant, it's also ignorant and foolish.

So if you want to base your intolerance of Christians on ignorance and foolishness, I can't stop you and I won't bother trying. I'm satisfied enough knowing that you now know this.
IPSEC

Fort Worth, TX

#221809 Mar 27, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh. Gott mitt uns means all the Nazis were Christian?
Then "So Help Me God" means that all US military people are Christian.
Where did I write that strawman? Can't you ever be honest? The point sailed directly over your pointed head. I'm not surprised. You're 10 gallon hat is 41 quarts short.

Location hidden

#221810 Mar 27, 2014
IPSEC wrote:
<quoted text>So, you're admitting that in your ignorance you tried to defend it by deflecting attention away from churches, even though it has the full support of the ministries involved? Shoot first, backpedal later. Good job!
I still don't know which churches, or which ministries, support the daddy daughter kissing. You've yet to explain that, all you've done is posted supposed news articles, which actually looked like opinionated blogs.
IPSEC

Fort Worth, TX

#221811 Mar 27, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
This historian would agree that he is a half wit.
I'd say 3/4 wit with 1/4 wilfull ignorance.

3/4W - 1/4WI = 1/2W

You are correct.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 5 min Charlie Sheen 260,139
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 5 min scaritual 743,401
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 9 min June VanDerMark 544,869
Word association game (Aug '08) 27 min Kid_Tomorrow 53,421
3 Word Game (Feb '12) 29 min Kid_Tomorrow 4,239
How will the world end? (Apr '09) 32 min Kid_Tomorrow 89
Best tips for health 40 min Kid_Tomorrow 5
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 45 min UidiotRaceMAkeWor... 174,187
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 1 hr lil whispers 601,386

Top Stories People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE